Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Heard it just opened? How was the drive in your Jeep? (keeping it forum related). Did you let them valet park it? :)
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    It's quite the place - no expense spared and the attention to detail is incredible. He tried to do little things differently (the sinks in the bathrooms, for example, looked are very differnent and look like a better arrangement than "normal") and there are flowers and plants all over. The public areas are huge, even for Vegas standards. There are supposed to be 22 eating establishments - I didn't find them all even though I spent an hour wandering around after lunch. The food isn't cheap, but then again, Vegas no longer has cheap food anywhere. There are several gourmet restaurants with top chefs if you want to spend a small fortune. Other restaurants are more reasonably priced, and all of them have incredible rooms. There is a shopping mall with some really top end stores like Dior and so on. It was interesting to look in the windows, but I'll stick to L.L. Bean. But it's definitely a show place and fabulous - a must-see if you are going to Vegas any time soon.

We didn't leave the Jeep in Valet - since it is too high for my mother to get into we took her car. And that is one consideration for someone thinking about a Wrangler - it can be difficult to get into for some people with physical limitations.

As I mentioned before, we accidentally found out on the way to Vegas that the Unlimited gets MUCH better gas mileage at 60 than it does at 65. We were driving into a headwind on the way back, so our gas mileage dropped to 17 plus mpg, even though we continued to drive slower than we normally do. It's hard to do when you are constantly feeling like you are going to get run over by someone going 90!
  • jeff62301jeff62301 Member Posts: 310
    just curious,

I've seen $70 bags to store windows in while the top is down, what do you all do??

will layering them with beach towels then rolling the whole thing up work??

jeff
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Towels will work fine, and are the traditional solution. I'm sure the $70 bags work too.
    that sits on a big shelf in the garage. I put my rear window, and my two rear sides in it and put it up high with nothing on top of it.

But I run a safari top in the summer, and can't put them on anyway. If you need to be able to put them on when out and about, the bag you describe makes good sense.

For my soft uppers, I have a trunk in the back of my TJ that I built. There is just enough room between it and the duster for me to put my uppers securely (ie not blowing out when driving around) yet easy to get to.

In the picture I posted a few hours ago (see above about 5-10 posts), you can see the duster in place. The attached pic shows the trunk that lies underneath.

-Paul
  • fiuzafiuza Member Posts: 1
    Can somebody tell me if is it possible to put a 4.0 liter motor on a 2.5 place ? is the gear box compatible ?
    but you probably need to swap the transmissions. The trannys for the 2.5 are probably not strong enough to handle the power of the 4. I believe there are also spline count issues between the two as well, not to mention computers, wiring harness, etc...

If you are going to do a swap, why not go with a small block Chevy V8 and compatible tranny? :)

*Echos of Tim Allen and MORE POWER running through my head

-Paul, wanting to try an LS7 engine in there. :)
    Yes, it's possible..............but it's not at all practical. Much, much more than the transmission needs to be changed. Unless you have a complete donor vehicle available, it's usually cheaper (and a lot less work) to sell the SE and buy a Wrangler with a 4.0 as standard.
  • keatskeats Member Posts: 412
    Jeff I ordered one of these

Remember, even if you use towels, the windows need to be clean before you roll them up. They scratch very, very easily.">link title
  • jpk257jpk257 Member Posts: 43
    you are probably right about the purpose as the piece of canvas runs along the support bar. Originally I thought they made the change to make the unlimited look more like the SWB wrangler.
    thanks for the ideas, I'll start with towels, if that doesn't work, I'll need towels sometime anyway.

jeff

$100 deductible on glass, just replaced a cracked windshield 2 weeks ago, went on vacation for a week, first day back to work I got hit with a rock thrown from a mower and chipped the new windshield.
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    I wheeled with the inventor of the Clover Patch window rolls this past weekend at Turkey Bay. This is the product that Mark (Keats) mentioned in his post above.

Bob and Mary Abondolo were in the group Friday and Saturday, and Mary is the "mother" of the window roll. It is her design.She was selling them on ebay, but she could not make them fast enough. They contracted with someone to produce them.

Hey, they are super nice people, so give them some bidness, if you have a soft top.

Pretty cool, huh?

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?

• keatskeats Member Posts: 412
    Tom,
    Glad you shared that with us. But is it just me or is that hard top on their Jeep? :) You'd think the Clover Patch inventor would have a soft top!

The window roll is great a product. I use it in the summer with the soft top, and I kept my windows in it the entire winter while my hard top was on. Advantages over towels, thickness for one, and two, doesn't take up any room in your Jeep. A side benefit is that the black bag sets over the soft top while it's folded down and acts as a sort of boot for the top.
    Well, you made me go look at other pics to be sure, but that IS a soft top.

Tom

• rmarmsrmarms Member Posts: 1
    I have a question. Has anyone upgraded their stereo in their Jeep? I have a 02 with the CD player and Subwoofer. The reason I am asking is I bought a new CD Player from Best Buy, went to have it installed 2 days later and the guy told me I needed to by a amplifier, another $220 installed bringing the cost up to $420. The main reason I want a new CD Player is the Stock radio doesn't play burned CD's. I returned the unit and left upset. I am now looking into getting a CD Changer that will play Burned CD's. It cost $200 installed. If anyone has done this please advise.
    I've got an 04,,,It plays duped CDs

jts
    Turkey Bay was as beautiful and green this past weekend as I have ever seen it.
  • letdolphinletdolphin Member Posts: 37
    That an awesome picture Tom, looks like a great place to have fun wheelin'
  • thejeepthejeep Member Posts: 9
    Just installed after market radio, and I am having problems with factor center console sub woofer. if you have answers to this please let me no.
    Having same problem with My 2001, tommorow I will see what makes the sub woofer tick. If I find a solution I will let you know.
    It's going to be hard to give you answers if you don't explain what the problems are!
    Installed radio as shown in specs, but no sound from Sub-woofer.
    "Having same problem with My 2001............."

I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone. I can't see the post that describes the problem! Was something deleted? :confuse:
    This new feature is great.

If anyone is interested in what the Sunrider option looks like on the Unlimited, here is a photo I took last fall with the "sunroof" open. It only takes a few minutes to open, though it helps if the temperature is over 70 or if its in bright, intense sun (like at high altitudes). It has gotten easier now (thank heavens!).
    If all else fails I will get on Ebay and BUY an amp!!!!
    Gotcha! First thought would be that the sub is expecting an input from the speaker output of the radio, and is getting an 'aux' output instead and the signal isn't strong enough. Or, it's expecting a low 'aux' signal and is being overloaded by a speaker level signal.

I've got the Clarion center console sub which connects via harness, but interestingly, it also has RCA sockets for speaker level input.
    Factory radio has 4 speaker outputs for a 5 speaker system, you or saying that the sub feeds on one of the speaker outputs.
    Yes, mine receives input from from both rear speaker outputs via an adaptor harness.
  • twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    if you have an aftermarket radio, you need to provide 12v to the amp that drives the factory sub. Wire color will vary by year, but its in the bundle of 5 wires that go into the console sub. Many people use the remote turn on lead or amp trigger (for outboard amps) from the new head unit to provide the 12v the sub needs.

HTH

-twylie

edit: changed "factory" to "aftermarket" - doh!
  • utahjeeputahjeep Member Posts: 24
    Well, I settled for a 1999 Wrangler Sahara with 44K miles, hardtop, 4" lift, 33" tires, and an air locker in the front. It is also fully rhino-lined.

I am going to have to put some Bushwacker Pocket Flares (6") on it as the tires stick too far out to pass inspection. I just love this state. The guy that sold it to me said it passed fine...

Everything works except for the rear window defrost. It didn't come with an owners manual, so I am not sure if I am missing something.

With no key in the ignition, hit the button and the chime beeps at you. I think this indicates that the switch is connected.

With a key in the ignition and the system on, nothing happens. The light on the switch doesn't come on - nothing.

I checked the harness to the hardtop and it all looks good. Does this system have any oddities like won't activate in temps greater than x?

Any ideas, let me know.
  • twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    from the FSM:

BK/RD - power (connect your trigger lead to this one)
    BK/WT - ground
    BR/LB - Left -
    BR/YL - Left +
    DB/PK - Right -
    DB/WT - Right +
    Twylie is right, the factory stereo powered the sub. So with an aftermarket headunit, you will need to feed it power.

I went aftermarket all the way around as my SE only had AM/FM with the two front speakers. :)

Alpine CDA-9827 with XM
    Alpine KCA-420i iPod interface - way cool!
    Alpine V350 mono amp powering Kicker 8" sub in Tuffy console
    MB Quart 5.25" in dash
    Kicker 6x9" in soundbar (edgeauto.com)
    Kicker amp powering front/rear speakers

With the proper harness, the only tough part is connecting the power leads to the head unit. Using RCA to the amps gives you the chance to use quality, heavy duty wiring for the best possible sound (every little bit helps in a Wrangler). For the most part, my components are hidden and secured and I make sure to turn it down or off when I get near my destination (home or store or whatever) so as not to pique interest.

If you spend the money for a decent head unit, you will want to get better sound out of it. The internal amps just don't have the power to run even the factory speakers for decent volumes w/o distortion. An amp, even a small one that can power all the channels, will make a WORLD of difference - top on or top off.

-Paul
    -Paul
    Thanks for all the advice, but Factory sub will be forgotten and replaced with 2 kicker 8 in the back. I love my JEEP and want the best for her. :)

thejeep
    I love my Kicker sub!

-Paul
  • drosketerdrosketer Member Posts: 203
    That window roll is awesome, picked one up last year as it seemed that anytime I didn't have the windows the weather would turn crappy. Now, if I have the top down and windows with me, the weather stays good. :P
  • embeedueceembeeduece Member Posts: 260
    I bought a window roll too. Seemed indispensible. After 25 grand on the Jeep, another $75 to keep the windows safe was an easy choice. Plus, it allows me to keep the windows with me on the go, and frees up the interior cargo space. Might be a different story if I had a garage to keep the top and windows in, but I still think I'd like the convenience of having them along for the ride.

Have a friend who just throws her doors and windows in the back. Don't understand that.

BTW, all this talk about sound system wires and power sources is why I went stock. Didn't want to get into all that; not my thing. My '04 system plays burned CDs fine.

-Mike
    Mike, I would have liked to keep it stock but for the fact that it couldn't play CD's, cassettes, or anything. :) 2 speakers... and 1 was blown already. :) hehehe

-Paul
  • drosketerdrosketer Member Posts: 203
    I went with the upgraded factory option, and am plenty happy with it. It plays burned discs... about the only thing I wish it was capable of was MP3s.
  • por2gesfiremanpor2gesfireman Member Posts: 16
    I was told that the 05's will play burned discs & Mp3's does anyone know if that true?
    Finally! The weather took longer to warm up this spring than usual, but I decided that it has warmed up enough to take the top and doors off of Thelma Jane. I did the job after work tonight.

I had taken the top and doors off just for the time I was " wheelin' " one day this spring down at Turkey Bay, but now the top and doors are off for the summer, I hope. (Or, until I take a long trip.)

Tomster

Oh, I'd be all sorts of upset if it didn't play burned discs. Add to that: no MP3 input?! And FM iPod transmitters are usless in L.A. I know there are better sound systems out there; I just wanted to be as done out-the-door as possible and not have to deal with Good Guys or Circuit City since I'm tech illiterate. More power to you guys that know what you're talking about and can get that stuff done right. And given that the '04 Jeep is the first car I've ever owned built after 1985, the sound system is relatively "boss!"

Hmmm...maybe I can pick up an 8 track player on eBay. Now THAT would be boss!

-Mike
    I found a great car stereo shop up in Bakersfield. They will do ya right and not sell you stuff you do not need or want. They have done my BMW, my Honda Civic, my Jeep, and my daughter's Civic. Let me know if you want more information. Well worth the drive up there, IMO.

-Paul
    If Paul is going to direct you to the same shop he directed me to in Bakersfield, it worked out well for us. I took the Unlimited in, discussed what I wanted (the Alpine head that has the XM tuner built in) and let them figure out the wiring harnesses and how to make it work. It didn't take them long and the system sure sounds good to me (I have the upgraded sound system and that's good enough for us - it's much better than the basic AM/FM two speaker/no sound bar setup in the Sport). Their pricing was reasonable - not cheapest, not most expensive. Besides, if you go that direction to get your radio done, you can also stop off at Hungry Valley OHV area and play on the dirt roads. I'd recommend another road in the national forest, but I don't think they've opened it yet. The amount of damage from this year's storms in the SoCal national forests is staggering.
    I forgot you went there too. :) Did you tell em I sent ya? :)

I don't get any kind of commission or discount for having referred anybody, but I should get a frequent shopper discount. :)

-Paul
    >The amount of damage from this year's storms in the SoCal national forests is staggering

Don't know about where you are, but along the coast it's been raining again the past couple of days. Thunder and Lightning last night. Guess the top stays up a little while longer.

-Mike
  • karlw90karlw90 Member Posts: 59
    ...well, I'm driving down to a dealership to test drive an Unlimited.

I still cannot believe how...well, stupid... the options are for Jeeps. For instance:
    -If I get the "H Pkg", I can only choose from 4 colors. 5 others are opted out.
    -You can't get ABS unless you get a Sport?! That's absolutely absurd.
    -If I go with the "E Pkg", I miss out on the following things- Leather wrapped steering wheel, Premium cloth seats, Bright grille?, Speed control?, Silver inst. panel?, and premium fender flares? (those marked with a "?", I don't even know what they look like).

I am STOKED that they brought back the Solar Yellow.. :lemon: I still cant believe a company changes color options mid year.. but, whatever. Of course, the yellow is no t a choice with the "H Pkg", so if I want the color I love, I'm going to have to get the "E Pkg" and not have those things I listed above. Does anyone think those things are worth getting a color you don't love?

Anyways.. we'll see what happens. If all goes well at the dealership today, I may be putting a deposit down.
  • tka2tka2 Member Posts: 6
    Well...finally pulled the trigger on Monday on the 2004 Unlimited (Bright Silver). Thanks to all for the feedback on pricing earlier...got a tremendous deal on it and could not be happier. Live in update NY and waiting anxiously for some warmer weather to drop to the top!

Now that I finally have one (first time owner), I am interested in adding some options (nothing crazy yet)...just steps, seats covers, etc.

Anyone have online retailers they would suggest for parts/accessories? There seems to be a bunch of different one but would like to stick with those that people have used and have good reputation.
  • letdolphinletdolphin Member Posts: 37
    Congrats :)

Well I may not be the best person to answer this as my Jeep (first time owner also) hasn't even arrived yet :)

I have just placed 2 orders for parts from quadratec.com & allthingsjeep.com and have had great service. Quadratec even prices matches without any problems, just call them and tell them the difference and where it was found.

I have 4 boxes on the way :) I will have items here before the Jeep I have a feeling. Oh well I guess that just shows my excitement.

Laura
    lots of people talking about new jeeps,, I'm jealous and my jeep is only 8 months old.

I like quadratec, I like Jeepline.com too I have bought from both, both with good service.

here are a few things that I've bought and like very much, raingler grab handles husky floor liners I just put in a set of neoprene seat covers yesterday that were a christmas present.

I'm suffering from a recent jeep related injury, i walked into the edge of the door ( very hard ) 9 staples on a 2 inch long gash in my head.

jeff
  • tka2tka2 Member Posts: 6
    I saw the neoprene seat covers...let me konw what you think of them. Good quality? Easy cleaned?