Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    A suggestion, my friend... go take a test drive in a new Jeep with the three ply tops that they have now. See what you think about the "quiet" compared to your old top.

I have no personal experience, since I went with the hard top only, but I test drove an '01 with the soft top when I was shopping for a Jeep, and I thought the noise from the soft top was very tolerable and would not have been a problem.

I have heard nothing but good things about the new soft tops from people who have experience with both the new and the old soft tops.

tsjay

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • jacknimblejacknimble Member Posts: 171
    Yes, because of resale value, I see not reason to buy a TJ used, except for possibly a rough 97-98 to build up.

I've begun thinking about tires: Need to know about treadlife and snow/ice traction between BFG and Michelins. I'm a Michelin man, but those BFGs are good looking.

Also, anyone moved their mirrors from the full doors to the windshield brackets?
    Haven't had occasion to check out their traction in snow yet (or offroad), but I sure like the way those BFG All Terrain TA KO 31 x 10.50's on Thelma Jane ride. And the way they look!

tsjay

• mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    I don't know if this will help or make things worse, but Michelin owns BFGoodrich. I guess that makes you a Goodrich man too :-)
  • larry18larry18 Member Posts: 48
    I am looking into buying a new TJ before the 0% goes away. I plan to buy a loaded Sport or a Sahara with a five speed and trac-loc. Any suggestions? It will be used as an extra vehicle with an occasional run in the cow pasture here in Oklahoma and over the mountain passes around Ouray, Colorado.
    This is not an answer to your question about options, but if you are getting ready to buy a Jeep, you might want to check out my post #3996.

I am not the world's greatest car trader or anything, but I have learned a few things that I thought I would pass on to everyone.

Check it out if you are interested.

tsjay

• mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    If you get a loaded Sport or Sahara, won't it come with everything? Ok, seriously, if you are going to drive it in a cow pasture in Oklahoma, I'd make sure it had tow hooks. Not that I think you'd get it stuck or anything, it's just that I've seen all sorts of Army 4x4 vehicles stuck in the mud at Ft. Hood Texas, and I remember seeing a 4x4 truck get stuck trying to get a horse trailer out of a field near Waco after a horse show was cancelled because it was raining so hard...

The only thing I didn't get that I wish I had is the sound bar. I'm not a big audio person, but the sound bar sure sounds better than the standard speakers in the front. Otherwise, I love the tinted windows, and the fog lights for snowy, black mornings.
    Thanks for letting me know about your wife doing well at the jamboree with the Bridgestones. I figured I would be the only one who would have bought them, due to the Firestone thing. I didn't get as good a deal as you did, but they were still cheaper than the Goodyears and the BFGs (and I got a free pair of binoculars, too!). I personally think they have outperformed the Goodyears. It'll be interesting to see how they perform in the snow (probably January or February, if the last 2 years are any indication). If anyone else has experience with them in snow, let me know.
  • appstate88appstate88 Member Posts: 40
    Yea, you're right, the Duellers really seem to do better than the Goodyears. And the going price for the Goodyear GSA's in NC was $600 plus once installation, balancing, etc was thrown in.

But I will admit I did a little research before going for the Bridgestones. They are made in different plants than the Firestones and, of course, the Wrangler doesn't weigh nearly as much as the Explorers do.

It has always seemed to me that the problems with the Firestone tires has been a combination of a marginal tire along with the size and weight of the vehicle.

I did agonize on whether to go for the MT(Offroad) or AT (Offroad/highway). (The Highway tire, the HT was never really an option...)

But then I got real and realized my wife has done 99% of her driving on roads. So the AT it was.

But who knows, after all the fun she had at the Jambo, she may be an offroading gal by the time I get home! Then we'll have to go for the MT's!:)

Take care and let me know how your Duellers do in the snow!
  • 14er14er Member Posts: 10
    I put a picture of Randle from yesterday and a couple of pictures from the San Juans from Labor day. The other Jeep is a rented one from Lake City. There are some pictures of the road from the tops of Handies Peak and Sunshine Peak a couple of fourteeners in the San Juan range of Colorado.

Here is the link:

http://home.earthlink.net/~mikelehan/_wsn/page3.html

Thanks for the link! That's a great looking Jeep!

Man, would I ever like to get back out there to those mountains! My last trip out to the Rockies was 1988. That's been way too long! :(

Get a bunch of scenery pics posted on that web site, OK? I know pics just don't do justice for the beauty of those mountains, but they are better than nothing.

You never did say if I could come live with you? :)

tsjay

Fabulous pictures! Wish I could be there - looks like my type of road - maybe next time we get some time off we can head that direction. Your jeep looks great up there!
  • redkey1redkey1 Member Posts: 270
    Hi, I am picking up my jeep this afternoon and I was wondering if anyone had the link to the delivery checklist that I saw on this board?

Unfortunately, I don't have time to go back thru all the posts before this afternoon.

Thanks!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    twylie Oct 1, 2001 5:26am

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• 14er14er Member Posts: 10
    Glad you like the pictures, I will re-post and add some other ones with some other scenery. The way I did these some of the resolution was lost anyway. I made them too big and then used the automatic reduction built into earthlink. Next time I'll do it my self to make them a reasonable size and then post.

Tsjay, you can't move in but you can visit. Anyone coming this way should let me know maybe we can meet up.

Drove the Jeep down to Colorado Springs today to work. I commute 60 miles each way. The only hard part is staying below 55 MPH. Soon have 500 miles and won't have that worry. Now I need to look for a tow bar for the camper.

I'll dig out some other good pictures and as soon as I get some miles I'll take some new ones up high somewhere. Supposed to be some more snow coming in tomorrow night.
  • glawrence1glawrence1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm picking up my new Jeep tomorrow, can't wait. Bought it yesterday at New Englands #1 volume Jeep dealer. They were running a special,
    $800 below invoice plus $500 cash back from the factory. Sounded like a great deal to me. It's a blk/blk Sahara with automatic transmission, just what I was looking for!

2002 Sahara
    $26,025 sticker price
    $23,985 invoice
    - 800 below invoice
    - 500 rebate
    Total price was $22,685., plus $124 administration fee and $90 for DMV and 5% sales tax, thats it no other fees.

You guys have been a great help, thanks!
    Congrats on the new Sahara and on the great deal! That was a killer deal on that baby!

tsjay

I love it! We seemed to go for a long time in here with no one announcing a purchase. Glad people are buying and posting again!

Would you new guys mind posting an intro in the "meet the members" section? Tell us a little about yourselves and a LOT about your Jeeps??? Maybe even post a pic or a link to your Jeep's web page?

tsjay

• styles8675309styles8675309 Member Posts: 12
    Help you do what?
    Wait for it - probably in edit mode :-)

(Are those phone numbers from a song?)

Steve
    Host

That is a great deal. Should inspire others.

Mine stickered for a bit more, but I paid more too. It seems that few people get it below invoice, but if we keep getting the word out, pretty soon the rest of the dealers and manufacturers will get the message.

What options did you get?
    I have a 2001 Wrangler Sport, i bought it maybe 6 months ago and it turns out that i really cant afford it right now, i put alot into it including an awesome stereo and i have 2 tops. please if anyone in the new england area is interested or knows anyone interested i will even take a cut on what i should sell it for, i just need to get rid of it, i have pictures and i'm willing to show it to anyone if they are interested. it has less than 10,000 miles. i am not looking to make anything off of this, just looking to get rid of it. i am only 19 and the insurance is the same monthly as my jeep payments themselves. i would say it is worth about 22,000. if you are interested i will do almost anything to get rid of it.
    ~JAY~
    but this is what i have to do, i will never buy any other vehicle besides a jeep now that i owned one. it is by far the best vehicle i have ever driven. so even if i can get rid of my 2001 baby i shall still get an older one, more affordable.
    Try Edmunds Used PowerShopper for a free place to sell your car. Good luck!

(ok, it's Jenny's telephone number in the song "8675309?" by Tommy Tutone).

Steve
    Host

HAha yougot it man, styles(ryan styles cause people say i look like him) [he is from drew carey and whos line is it anyway if you sll dont know] and then 8675309(jenny)
  • spyrodragonspyrodragon Member Posts: 147
    I'd love to tell you that you'll get 22K for your jeep, but you probably won't. People can buy a new one for that. What kind of options do you have on it, what rear axle, what engine, what tranny, etc? Look it up on this website to see how much it's worth. I'd say shoot for 18-19K. Don't you know what JEEP stands for? Just Empty Every Pocket. I'm 19 in college and working and I agree that it is expensive! But there's nothing like a jeep so I live with it. My 2000 TJ's got 5K in mods and I could only get about 17K for it.
    Best of Luck to ya.
  • spyrodragonspyrodragon Member Posts: 147
    Oh, and if it's got a Dana 44 rear end in it I'll trade you axles! :)
  • rwoolsey890rwoolsey890 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a new Wrangler Sport today. I thought I had gotten a good deal at 500 under invoice but not quite as sweet as the one by glawrence1. Still excited to finally get a Jeep though.
    no, i'm not saying i want to get 22,000 for it, i'm looking tosell it for under what i still owe so it would be about 19 or 18,000. it has the sandard hard top, a besttop super top, fog lights, a t bra, tire cover, k&n air filter, brand new oil change, never been offroad :(, alpine cd player(cost me 500), 4x6 boston accoustics in the front with bass blockers, and in the sound bar there are boston accoustic seperates ( cost me 350) and then i have 2 amps under the seat, 1 for the sound bar and 1 for the sub box i have behind the seat. i have the 30 inch wheels, side steps, i'm not sure about the more technical stuff like axles and that, i'm sure that stuff i could findout.
    so here is the bottom line, i'm willing to sell it for 2000 under what i still owe on it that way someone is getting one hell of a deal and i dont have to spend every single penny on my baby. then after that i will save for a few months and then i'll be shopping once more, i'm thinking this time i'll pick up a standard. and guys i'm not asking you to goout on a limb but if anyone you know asks you about buying a jeep or anything just drop them my e mail Neverbetheone@aol.com
    peace out.

~JAY~
    Congratulations on the new Jeep! Please "talk dirty to us" and give us some more details... color, tranny, top selection, options.

That $500 under invoice was an extremely good deal! Was that with the $500 rebate, meaning you actually paid invoice and then received the $500 rebate, or did you get the Jeep for $500 under invoice and then still get the $500 rebate or the incentive financing? Either way, it was a very good deal.

Too bad they hadn't started the rebate when I bought my Thelma Jane last year. I got her for $200 over invoice with no rebate of any kind. It was 11/16/00 when I placed my order, so it has been almost a year now.

Once again, I would really appreciate it if you new Jeepers in here would post introductions in "Meet the Members." Your posts here in the main discussion will become hard to find as more posts accumulate, so if someone wants to see what kind of Jeep you bought, they will have to wade through a bunch of posts trying to find the one where you told about your Jeep. If you post in "Meet the Members," it will be easy for anyone to go there and find your info. Just a suggestion, Guys and Gals, but it has worked out well in the past.

Thanks

tsjay

I too bought my new yellow jeep at New england's #1 Jeep dealer and took advantage of their $800 under invoice deal.

glawrence - I am assuming you took the $500 rebate in lieu of the low APR? I got the $800 under invoice plus 0.0% APR and then another $400 college grad rebate. Did they get you with the ad fees on the invoice? I think there was a $125 and a $145 fee for advertising on the invoice ($170 total).
    Now that I have my jeep, I figure I am going to need to protect it. I'm thinking an alarm won't be to neccessary with the hardtop on, but what is the best kind of alarm to get for a jeep that will be topless in the summer? How much should I spend?
  • tjx02tjx02 Member Posts: 13
    Congrats to all you new owners. I knew I should have waited. I paid invoice +$20 and thought I made a good deal. I screwed them on the trade though, so I feel a little better.
    Redkey, I saw an alarm for under $100 with an add on doppler radar thingy. Should work well for open top use. I think I'll get that if I can find it again. I also have lojack and they are coming out with a pager alarm add-on soon.
    Styles - wish I could buy yours. Sounds sweet. Good luck with selling it. Have you considered parking it to lower the insurance? If you have a secure place, like parents garage, you can get an insurance break. If not, try autotrader.com or see if a local Jeep or used car dealer will sell it for you on commission.
  • saharagalsaharagal Member Posts: 88
    I have a Viper alarm with radar sensor on my 2001 Sahara. If you stick your hand in the Jeep when the alarm is on, it instantly sets the alarm off. I paid an even $300 with installation. I called around, and most places were about $300-$350 in the Atlanta Area. I actually got mine through the alarm company the dealership (Nalley Jeep in Roswell) uses.

I like it a lot. I feel very confident leaving the top down around town. It's nice, too, because I was so used to "zapping" my previous car whenever I left it!

Happy Jeeping!

S'gal
  • yellowmanyellowman Member Posts: 209
    Hey guys

CONGRATS on the new Jeeps - you're now my yellow brothas. I swear, in the couple months before I purchased my Jeep I hardly EVER saw a Yellow Jeep, much less a Yellow TJ. And now, since I've had mine, there are at least 3 of them within a 5 mile radius of my apartment and I see them all the time on the road. Guess I started a trend!

All this talk about buying new Jeeps reminds me how glad I am to have mine. I'm still loving it after 6 1/2 months and 9,500 miles! Almost time for oil change #3, and I'll probably go full synthetic this time to see how it goes. Happy jeepin'!

yellowman
    i also forgot to add that i have a Viper 550 alarm and remote starter and i have a radar sensor added to it. also this is kinda neat too, you know those light bars that pulse with sound? i have one of those that i hooked up to a switch along with my amp for my subs so i can turn those both on and off whenever i want.
    i was thinking about taking it off the road and parking it, but i have nowhere at all to put it, my family doesnt even have a garage, i live in a really old house :(
  • ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
  • goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    rumors are just that, rumors. I wouldn't put too much stock in that story although it is interesting.
  • tjx02tjx02 Member Posts: 13
    Im also in ATL and bought from Nalley. Where did you get the Viper and which model? Most I've seen come with keyless entry and autostart, neither of which I can use. $300 is about the most I'd want to pay, but I want the radar protection. Thanks.
  • saharagalsaharagal Member Posts: 88
    My alarm is called a Hornet, model # 725T. It's made by DEI, the same company that makes Viper and some of the other "big name" models. I forgot it wasn't actually called a Viper. But hey, it certainly does enough for me! My salesman, David Bowers, had the alarm person install it for me right at the dealership. Three hundred even. It's got the radar thingie, as I said, and valet mode, two remotes, etc. It's a really nice system.

Give David a call, he'll hook you up!

Laura
  • jpkury1jpkury1 Member Posts: 2
    Hello All,......Long Time Reader, First Time Writer.....I am seriously considering buying a 2002. It seems that the going price is somewhere around invoice.....Recently, a few people have made reference to $500 to $800 below invoice. If you are one of the folks that got that great deal, please post the name of the dealership (and the telephone number). The dealership that I have been working with may price match. I would love to save $500....Thanks,
    JP
    I bought my Jeep at Kelly jeep in MA (New England's #1 Jeep Dealer) they were running a special last weekend only for $800 under invoice (dealer invoice included about $270 in ad fees) on any in-stock Jeep. (781-561-6000)

I think the special was only for the week-end but see if you can get your hands on a Boston Globe this weekend to see if they are running it again.
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Here's a link to the Insurance Instute's crash test results for the Wrangler. People ask about this from time to time, usually to convince their significant other, or parents :-)

http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/98008.htm
    Try this link
    www.meltonsales.com

They have one white Sahara loaded for about 800 below invoice right now.
  • tjraytjray Member Posts: 38
    I bought my '01 TJ from MELTONSALES in claremore OK. Also bought an '00 Dakota from them. I shopped at several other dealerships and no one else could touch their deals. I think they have very low overhead and they pass that on to the buyer. They have the reputation as being the lowest price DC dealer anywhere. They don't have the biggest inventory but I ordered both mine. Delivery took 4 weeks for the Quadcab & 6 weeks for my JEEP.
    Just another HAPPY JEEPER,
    TJRay
    TjRay, I live in Fort Smith and drove over to buy my Wrangler there. You are right, I've heard of no one with as good as deal. If I lived farther away, I would probably fly in to buy a car from them. I turned in a leased 99 300M, signed some papers and that was it. In and out in maybe 10 minutes with zero BS.

They said that they have people from all over the place buying cars from them. Too bad all dealers aren't like that.
    Hey, let's have some posting in here! Gees, some of you guys have brand new Jeeps- let's hear how you like (love) them!

tsjay

• wheelshighwheelshigh Member Posts: 30
    Its been awhile since I've posted online anywhere but now I'm back. I've been real busy at work. i just got back from a trip to Colorado in which I drove from New Jersey to Colorado and back. I enjoyed the fact that I saw a lot of the country that I've never been to. Well anyway I'm back...so whats new with everybody?