Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Crew - Meet The Members II

Comments

• Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788

To find me .. I'm Brenda Ladywclass Guy. If you friend me, you can see some of the others as friends on my page. I don't have everyone.

Good idea Brenda. Call it "Subaru Crew" so it would be easy for people here to find.
  • Options
    hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    Ah guys I am just a dinosaur with a dinosaur flip phone on pay as you go plan so no face book for me.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited May 2015
    The battery on my Motorola E815 clamshell finally died. It's a refurb from Page Plus so the battery was probably replaced once since the phone was introduced 10 years ago. Locally the battery is $35 and has to be ordered but there's some $4 ones on Amazon. Meanwhile I sprung $20 on 2011 tech and ordered an Optimus Zip with the same pay as you go deal, which usually runs me $10 every 90 days. Hopefully at least one of the apps it comes with will actually dial the phone. ;)
  • Options
    ladywclassladywclass Member Posts: 1,713
    I have been MIA for awhile. My mother-in-law had a rough month starting on April 2. She died May 2nd and it's been hectic ... I'll see about making a group for us on FB tomorrow and will post here when it's done ...
  • Options
    jfljfl Member Posts: 1,396
    Brenda,
    Prayers & sympathy to you and DH.
  • Options

I have been MIA for awhile. My mother-in-law had a rough month starting on April 2. She died May 2nd and it's been hectic ... I'll see about making a group for us on FB tomorrow and will post here when it's done ...

Very sorry to hear about your mother-in-law Brenda.
  • Options

Ah guys I am just a dinosaur with a dinosaur flip phone on pay as you go plan so no face book for me.

Cheers Pat.

Pat, you can access FB on your computer.
  • Options
    To tell the truth Bob I am not that motivated. Not on the computer much these days. I come on here to check for new posts but that's about it.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    ladywclassladywclass Member Posts: 1,713
    OK, guys .. there is a new FB group called "Subaru Crew". You should be able to search FB and find it. I created it as a 'closed' group, so posts are private. If we decide to change things later, we can. I invited the few on my friends list. If you have others from the old crew that you want to invite, please do ...
  • Options

To tell the truth Bob I am not that motivated. Not on the computer much these days. I come on here to check for new posts but that's about it.

Cheers Pat.

Give it a try Pat. You might just like it. Remember Mike Smith, who along with AJ started the Subaru Crew? He just joined the FB Subaru Crew.
  • Options
    Not trying to steal Crew members from this site, after all we have a long, long and great history here. Just asking those interested to think about including the new Facebook "Subaru Crew" to their web viewing. BTW, Patti just joined!
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,796
    Yeah, I'm not finding it. It comes up w/ a couple of hits, but neither look to be the crew I'm looking for. I thought maybe Obi-wan was messing with me, but I don't remember now. :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    xwesx said:

Yeah, I'm not finding it. It comes up w/ a couple of hits, but neither look to be the crew I'm looking for. I thought maybe Obi-wan was messing with me, but I don't remember now. :D

What is your FB name? I'll invite you.
  • Options
    If you type in the FB search window, Subaru Crew, it comes up with a brown square "group" icon next to the name. That's it.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Ah! I finally found it. I was typing the name into search and pressing return, wherein the results did not include it. But, if I just type the name and no return, it brings up a drop-down box of options, wherein the correct result is... surprisingly, the very first one! LOL Thanks. Add request.... requested!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    rob_mrob_m Member Posts: 820
    Ok ... here it is! Mikey's new ride, all flossed and glossed, fluffed and buffed. What a fun little car. Rob

• Options
    Nice looking bugeye.
  • Options
    rob_m said:

Ok ... here it is! Mikey's new ride, all flossed and glossed, fluffed and buffed. What a fun little car. Rob

Wow nice little car Rob, and Mikey is all grown up time does fly.

Cheers Pat.

• Options
    gmginsfogmginsfo Member Posts: 116
    Really lucked out at the Avis rental counter at SEA three weeks ago when I was given a 2016 Forester w/ 63 miles on it for my 2-week road trip thru British Columbia. I had the standard 4-speed auto, which I got up to averaging 29.7 mpg by the car's info panel. I'd really have liked to experience the new Forester/CVT combination, but I guess that'll have to wait until next time. Put 2600 miles on the car and it handled every Forest Service road and non-road I led it to like a mountain goat; its tunes were good, too. When I returned home to my 2010 Outback w/ the CVT I noticed how sluggish it seemed relative to the Forester, but I'm not complaining. This experience, and the Forester's upsizing, definitely has me thinking of going back to a Forester when I'm ready to buy again, in a year or three; I'm barely at 65K now.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    I've been very happy with our 2010 Forester. While the Outback felt a little bigger inside, it wasn't all that much different to me than the Forester. AND, the Forester has a smaller price tag.

Plus, with those generations anyway (G3 Forester / G4 Outback), the Forester was quite a looker while the Outback was, well, NOT. Now, I have to go the other way with it. They smacked the poor G4 Foresters around with the ugly stick for far longer than was warranted. :p

• Options
    I check in here frequently for some signs of life, but I guess the forum is dying the death of a thousand cuts. So sad a once vibrant forum is dying for lack of interest.

Cheers pat.
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,316

I check in here frequently for some signs of life, but I guess the forum is dying the death of a thousand cuts. So sad a once vibrant forum is dying for lack of interest.

Cheers pat.

I think all the activity has moved to Facebook.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    Yes, it really has moved to Facebook. Are you a member of the group there, Pat? If not, I'll make sure Bob Holland knows you're interested and see if he can get you added!
  • Options
    Nope don't think I will be on Facebook, thanks anyway.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    I check in here usually 2-3 times a week, but yes, most of the old Edmunds gang have joined the Subaru Crew over on Facebook.

Would love to have you over there Pat, should you change your mind. We have 35 members on the FB Subaru Crew. To join that private group all have to do is become a FB friend with another member and request to join. It doesn't have to be me, but anyone who is a group member.

We've got 4 people who work for Subaru, including Pattie and two others who are high up the corporate ladder. They rarely participate for obvious reasons, but they are often lurking in the background. :) In addition there is AJ (juice), Serge, Ed, Graham, Kate, Brenda (she started the group), Lucien, Mike Smith, Ken Suzuki, and many others who's names escape me at the moment.
  • Options
    Anyone see this article about VW diesels?
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-09-19/vw-clean-diesel-scheme-exposed-as-u-s-weighs-criminal-charges

I ask because I was a proponent for getting the Subaru diesel to the US. If VW could develop a clean diesel, why couldn't Subaru? Now we know!

Back in 2013, the Jetta Sportwagen TDI was my 2nd choice after the Impreza Sport Premium. So relieved I got my second Subaru!
  • Options
    Yeah, a major disappointment for diesel technology.

I'd still buy one, though. And, if I had one already, I would not be taking it in for this "recall.

Considering that these vehicles use 30% less fuel than their gasoline counterparts, I have to wonder how total emissions add up over the long term. But, everyone loves a good witch hunt!
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    I'm really curious to see if California or other states will refuse to register the affected vehicles if the recall hasn't been done. And then if the owner removes the "fix" and someone reports them to the DMV...well, things could get interesting.

@texases has posted the first leaked photo of the VW fix btw.
  • Options
    So, the kids helped me put the winter tires on the Foresters yesterday. I had my fourth wheel stud fail on me. I'm not sure if I just haven't cared for these things properly, or if the factory studs are "soft," but this sure gets old!

The good news is that I discovered that my rear brake pads are wearing *really* fast, and are just about to sound the squealers. Given that the fronts are still over 50%, I was really surprised (I don't even look at the rears until I replace the fronts for the first time, as they usually last quite a bit longer)! So, now I get to replace brake pads, too.

Anyhow, a few pics of the stud replacement and a quick rundown of the process, since it isn't intuitive (the front studs are much easier to replace than the rears!):

First, jack the car, place a stand under the frame on that quarter, and ensure the vehicle is secure (e.g., wheel chucks, etc, but E-brake must be OFF) before working under it! Then, remove the wheel (I snapped off the bound stud by forcing the nut), use a 14MM socket to remove the brake caliper (it will not rotate up like the fronts due to impingement by the rotor's rock shield), and set it atop the suspension. Using a rubber mallet, tap the rotor from behind until it pops loose, then remove it to expose the wheel hub.

Take a hammer (not rubber) and smack the bad stud to knock it loose. It should just fall to the ground.

Seat the new stud. This can be done in a variety of ways, including a special spacer with a curved face to support wheel nuts, but I use a nut that is larger than the stud's threads, slip that over, then screw on a nut that is left over from when I replaced the struts on my 1996 Outback. The threads are 12MMx1.25, so, as long as you use something with that pattern, you're good to go. Just tighten the nut with your lug wrench until it fully seats, then back the nut off and remove the spacer.

Carefully reseat the rotor over the drum e-brake shoes. Tap it with your rubber mallet, if necessary, to ensure full seating.

Reinstall the disk brake caliper. This is a *great* time to add a little anti-seize compound to the bolts so that next time is a little easier!

Finally, mount and secure the wheel, remove the jack stand, etc., and you're ready to roll!

• Options
    Finished product.....

• Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    xwesx said:

Considering that these vehicles use 30% less fuel than their gasoline counterparts, I have to wonder how total emissions add up over the long term. But, everyone loves a good witch hunt!

These diesels are expelling somewhere from 10-40 TIMES the legal level, Based on the 450,000 vehicles subject to this investigation, that's like adding another 4.5 to 18 million more "clean" diesels on the road.

• Options
    stever said:

I'm really curious to see if California or other states will refuse to register the affected vehicles if the recall hasn't been done. And then if the owner removes the "fix" and someone reports them to the DMV...well, things could get interesting.

I was thinking the same thing. VW provides the owner with certificate of compliance and reports the VIN's to the states. The fix is probably going to be a reprogramming and the addition of an urea injection system.

• Options
    robr2 said:

These diesels are expelling somewhere from 10-40 TIMES the legal level, Based on the 450,000 vehicles subject to this investigation, that's like adding another 4.5 to 18 million more "clean" diesels on the road.

True, but that still does not substantiate the significance of the emissions. These are cars that have been on the road for many years, long before the whole "clean diesel" hype, and they weren't causing problems then, so what makes folks think they are causing problems now?

To be clear, the vehicles are not causing the problems. The problem is, and only is, willful disobedience by VW, and the diesel industry will become the scapegoat.
  • Options
    xwesx said:

robr2 said:

True, but that still does not substantiate the significance of the emissions. These are cars that have been on the road for many years, long before the whole "clean diesel" hype, and they weren't causing problems then, so what makes folks think they are causing problems now?

To be clear, the vehicles are not causing the problems. The problem is, and only is, willful disobedience by VW, and the diesel industry will become the scapegoat.
    That's only if you believe they weren't causing problems before. Years ago, diesel cars were an anomaly so the amount of emissions wasn't a factor. The EPA went after the mass polluters - gas engine cars. Now that those had been regulated, the EPA focused on the dirty diesels including trucks, buses, and those quirky cars. Now those have to meet some sort of regulation.

VW did cause the problem but their vehicles - which are pretty much the poster boys for the diesel car market - are not meeting regulations. They could have simply designed them to do so but didn't for some reason. I'm guessing they couldn't without a significant loss of performance/fuel economy or a significant cost.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    You can't see the NOx coming from the tailpipe but that doesn't mean it's not a problem.
  • Options
    Nor does it mean it is. The good news is that this whole thing has really breathed life into the Diesel discussion. LOL
  • Options
    dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    xwesx said:

The good news is that I discovered that my rear brake pads are wearing *really* fast, and are just about to sound the squealers. Given that the fronts are still over 50%, I was really surprised (I don't even look at the rears until I replace the fronts for the first time, as they usually last quite a bit longer)! So, now I get to replace brake pads, too.

The rear pads on any Subaru that I have owned (or family has owned) have always wore faster than the front pads.

Obviously, YMMV.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    dcm61 said:

The rear pads on any Subaru that I have owned (or family has owned) have always wore faster than the front pads.

Obviously, YMMV.

That's good to know, and, apparently, my mileage doesn't vary too much! :D

On our 1996 Outback, we replaced the front pads at about 125K for the first time, and the rears were not replaced until about 165,000. I had this really stubborn rock that somehow managed to get wedged in that little groove between the two parts of the front pads on that car when we had about 215,000 miles on it, so I thought that the squealer was sounding (and was surprised that the front pads wore so quickly).

When I pulled it apart to replace them, they were better than 70% still, but I still went ahead and put the new pads on since I already bought (and opened) them.

Fast-forward a few years and, even though I have five Subaru vehicles to my ownership history now, this is the first one since our '96 that I've owned for any appreciable length of time. While the pads on the 2010 Forester are wearing faster than the '96, I suspect part of it is the fact that we tow occasionally with this car (and the trailer(s) does not have brakes). Still, I expect that the front pads will last up to 120,000 miles.

I'll get some new pads on the back and see how they do this time around, but at this point I have no reason to think that they are dragging or otherwise operating out of spec. Heck, some people (I'm looking at you, Mike!) might even call BS on the life span of my pads, as they insist that 30-40K miles is a normal L.E. for brake pads, so I should be happy that they last as long as they do! :p

• Options
    dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    edited September 2015
    xwesx said:

I'll get some new pads on the back and see how they do this time around, but at this point I have no reason to think that they are dragging or otherwise operating out of spec. Heck, some people (I'm looking at you, Mike!) might even call BS on the life span of my pads, as they insist that 30-40K miles is a normal L.E. for brake pads, so I should be happy that they last as long as they do! :p

You do have manual trans, so your brake pads should last longer than the same car with auto trans.

• Options
    I've owned my Impreza two years today. The great news is I drove less than 15,000 miles the past year, instead of my usual 20,000!
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    That's quite the drop! I was just thinking, a couple weeks ago, about how we still have 14K to go on our 2010 Forester before its 7/100 warranty is up. I might end up hitting the "7" before I hit the "100," and I *never* thought that would happen! :(

Going on 48 hours now with no power. It makes for an interesting little adventure. LOL

Congrats on the second anniversary!
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Nothing like an early snow with leaves still on the trees heh? I was wondering how soon you'd be able to check in.
  • Options
    stever said:

Nothing like an early snow with leaves still on the trees heh? I was wondering how soon you'd be able to check in.

Well, sort of an early snow, if you consider the weather over the past fifteen years. Prior to that, September snowfalls were not a rare thing! No leaves on the trees, but the snow was just really wet (something more akin to the snowbelt in PA/NY), and it stuck very well to the trees, which are just not used to that sort of thing. After 6-8" of the stuff, they just started bending over, snapping off, etc.

Luckily for me, I have power (and a shower!) at work, so that gives me a reprieve. But, my wife is holding down the fort, sans power. The temp in the house was down to 60 today (from 68-70 originally), so not bad. As long as the temps outside don't plummet (it's been about 30-32, down to 22 this morning), we should be good for a few more days.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    I guess the mess that hit Anchorage a bit before you was exacerbated by the tree leaves. Sounds like it was a lot worse up your way though.

We always planned our last canoe trip around Sept. 15. Some years we'd get lucky, some years we'd get hammered.
  • Options
    Yes, Anchorage area does still have leaves, and so while they received a lot less snow, it still caused a lot of problems!
  • Options
    Oh, no! ... Winter. Hopefully nothing like what happened to us last year!!! The new Legacy 3.6r turned 1 year old on Labor Day. Only 10k and I absolutely love that car. Guess I'm gonna like it more now that I have a new job and have to commute to Cambridge, MA every day now.

Mikey had his first 'incident' with the little 2002 Impreza. Backed into the side of a convience store while attempting to turn around from an angled parking spot and crushed the corner of the back bumper cover. He was so worried about not hitting the car beside him, he didn't see the building behind him. Kids!
  • Options
    Heh, sounds like something I'd do. No biggie Mike. :)
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    stever said:

Hah! Yeah, same here. Last night I was plowing a neighbor's driveway. It had cars all over the place in it, so I was carefully scraping the drive all around them (within a few inches). I cleared out a large area and was back-blading from a couple of Foresters he had parked near the house. I had a pattern worked out in terms of where all the cars were located, but then I shifted a little to the left in order to get a snow strip I left behind..... As I was backing up, paying careful attention to the obstacles *in front* of the truck, I just had this strange feeling well up in me so I glanced in the mirror....

WHOA! I stopped the truck no more than an inch from crushing the side of one of the cars parked behind me. Oops. I almost hit the tree as I focused on the forest. LOL

• Options
    stever said:

I think it hurt me more that it hurt him. I call it 'my little black pearl' because it was just so clean and in such great condition and an unbelievable find for a car for sale on the side of the road. My dealer was blown away when they saw the car ... then found out what I paid for it!
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Rob, I'm not sure that you ever gave us any details related to that little Impreza! Such as, how many miles when you bought it, MT or AT, etc...? Looks great from that photo, though!