Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey Accessories & Modifications

Comments

• sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    Honda Odyssey Community seems like a great start!
  • lovelyfun2lovelyfun2 Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me the advantages of a moonroof visor on the odyssey? Does it keep the sun out of your eyes? They say that it helps during inclement weather.... what does this mean?
  • dilbertzzzdilbertzzz Member Posts: 190
    I think the reference is that it will help keep the rain out if you still want to open your moonroof a bit.... :confuse:
  • rcottorcotto Member Posts: 2
    Try the following web site: trucktoys4less.com
    This is far superior to Honda's "all season floor mats" at about half the price. Also check out their cargo mat.
  • rcottorcotto Member Posts: 2
    see message 524
  • qt314bqt314b Member Posts: 2
    I put a deposit on my 05 Odyssey EXL with R/N and the salesman said the roof rack & crossbars were an option. The roof rack $439 & the crossbars $200, after looking more at the sales brochure it seems to me that the roof rack is the same thing as the rails and is standard on this model. The salesman said the rack & the rails are different things - Am I wrong, or is He?
    :confuse:
    Thanks so much for any help, Rachel
    The roof rack is included on EX and above models. It does not include the rails, which can be purchased as an accessory from the dealer or elsewhere. They can be purchased here honda accessories for $155.
    Actually, the rails (those side pieces attached to the roof and running front-and-back on the roof) are what are included on EX and above. The cross bars (side-to-side pieces attaching to the rails) are the pieces not included standard but can be purchased.

You can buy rails and crossbars even for the LX, but (on the older models at least, and undoubtedly on the 2005+ as well) these do not look identical to the stock EX/Limited rails. To preserve some snob appeal for the costlier trim levels maybe? :confuse:
  • qt314bqt314b Member Posts: 2
    Thank you both for your help, you helped me save $400 :D
  • joeredajoereda Member Posts: 3
    we could tie into reverse input with a switch to interrupt rear camera & tie video out
    from 9" factory drop down thanx for reading jr.
    Mine's been up and running for a couple months. There's a few other folks on another site that have it as well. Try THIS LINK and there's a diagram in power-point format to show what to do. Quite simple. Someone is trying to source some harnesses so you don't have to cut wires. Cutting wires is fun!
  • odyoneodyone Member Posts: 14
    Here is the HONDA service system info on the temp sensor:

Update to the outside air temperature indicator while driving.

If the temperature measured by the outside air temperature sensor is greater than the temperature on the outside air temperature indicator, the outside temperature indicator will increase by 1 °F (1 °C) per minute after the vehicle speed is greater than 19 mph (30 km/h) for more than 30 seconds. It will continue to increase until the current outside air temperature is indicated. So, the first change to the outside air temperature indicator is 1 minute and 30 seconds after the vehicle speed is greater than 19 mph (30 km/h). If the vehicle speed drops below 19 mph (30 km/h), the indicator will not update again until the vehicle speed is increased to 19 mph (30 km/h) or more for more than 1 minute and 30 seconds again.
    If the outside air temperature is less than the 140 °F (60 °C), the temperature will increase 1 °F (1 °C) every 2 seconds until the current outside air temperature is indicated.
    If the outside air temperature is less than the indicated temperature, the temperature will decrease 1 °F (1 °C) every 2 seconds until the current outside air temperature is indicated regardless of vehicle speed.

This information came as a SURPRISE to the Honda service techs when we found it. It uses some very odd logic, but that IS the way it appears to function.

OdyOne
    The Mr. Grille website does not appear to have any information about this particular modification.

Could you provide the specifics of what you ordered, how you ordered it, how you specified it, what it cost?

Thank you.
    FWIW

I was curious about the headphones for the Ody entertainment systems (mine is in a Touring).

I tried phones from Radioshack which worked perfectly (even though Honda says they will not).

They are on sale at most RS stores (and online). Model 33-1234, on sale for $19.95. They appear to work as well as the much more expensive Honda ones, but they are not as light and don't automatically turn off when you take them off. Considering how much damage a 4 year old grandchild can do to a pair of headphones, or how easy it is for a pair to "walk away" from the van under certain circumstances, $20 is a pretty good option to $70.

Just my opinion of course.

OdyOne
  • rshtrsht Member Posts: 277
    The moonroof visor can help cutting down some sun (if the angle is right), also to keep the rain out if its only opened a bit as "dilbertzzz" replied. Personally, I believe the Moonroof Visor will helps the most in minimizing wind "Baffling" (?), as it directs the air-flow mostly over the roof opening, so you have less air pressure into the cabin which causes uncomfortable booming sounds/pressure to passenger ears.
    If you buy an '05 Odyssey in Canada, it will come with the REQUIRED daytime running light system.

You can't even buy this as an option or accessory in the United States.

Why!

Has anyone found a way to retro-fit this into the '05? Is it possible/probable that the wiring is actually in place, and all that is needed are the additional relays, black box, etc.?

A company called "sav-a-life" does make retrofit systems for other cars, and even older Odysseys, but not for the '05.

I'm just amazed that, given that they had to design and manufacture the system for Canadian versions, that they don't even offer the system as an option.

I think DRL systems can save lives....maybe mine.

Thanks,

OdyOne
    You can add DRLs to your car. A 1995 Honda Civic I bought used from the owner in 1998 had them added. The owner had disconnected them, but showed me the wire to hook it back up (he got a break on his insurance for having them but must have disconnected them to save a little gas).

IIHS mentions in their page on DRLs ( http://www.iihs.org/safety_facts/qanda/drl.htm ) that GM offers a kit to add DRLs that will work on other vehicles too. Here's another company with a relatively inexpensive kit available http://www.webelectricmagazine.com/. And here is another http://www.autotoys.com/x/catalog/Reduced_Intensity_Daytime_Running_Lights_p_29.html. A visit to any auto parts store or a couple minutes with a search engine (Google, Yahoo, AskJeeves, etc.) will turn up lots of choices as I was able to do in under two minutes*. The internet is a wonderful tool, ain't it?

* Or you can write me an e-mail and we can set up an arrangement where I find out all such info and make all such decisions for you (for a small fee, of course!) ;)
  • rsblaskirsblaski Member Posts: 68
    odyone,
    If you are referring to the license plate frame modification, it was simply a matter of holding the insert up under the frame, marking the frame support locations with a marker and then cutting out two slots (each a little wider than the width of the supports).
    This was done with a dremel tool.
    Apparently MrGrille no longer does the cutouts prior to shipping.
    I actually ordered by calling them since I needed delivery in a hurry to an out of state friend's house.
    As I recall, the grille insert was around $80. Normal delivery would have been about $8 IIRC, but with expedited shipping, I think I paid a total of @ $98.
    I have since put on over 6,000 miles with the insert and I am a lot less nervous when I hear a stone hit the front end of the car.
  • pringlespringles Member Posts: 3
    Our Honda dealer quoted us around $250 for the crossbars and we checked this website www.handa-accessories.com and it was cheaper. Has anyone actually purchased crossbars from this website? And if so, what's involve in the installation? Was it easy, special screwdriver needed?
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    I've purchased items from h and a and have been very pleased.

Installation - h and a has the instructions on it's web site. Check them out there to see if you can handle it.

IMHO, I'd go for aftermarket (Yakima, Thule, or Saris). I think they are stronger and more useful as they can be adapted to other vehicles. The Yakima Low Rider and a set of crossbars will run you about $180.
    We installed the crossbars we bought from our dealer. We got a good price on them there because he was still giving us our "new buyer" discount.

You DO need a special screwdriver. A TORX driver (the instructions tell you which size). We got one from a local electronics store (about $5.00). I think Lowe's has them as well....they are "special" but not unusual.

Removing the "end caps" from the rails required patience and persistence....they do come off, but they fit quite snugly.

The rest of the install was simple. You'll need a small ladder unless you are a lot taller than I am. I guess the whole process took about 30 minutes.

OdyOne
  • pringlespringles Member Posts: 3
    Thanks a lot for the info. Could you please tell me the size of the TORX driver you mentioned? We're expecting to receive the crossbars we ordered this coming Friday. We want to have a head start getting the screwdriver and the step ladder. Thanks!
  • joeredajoereda Member Posts: 3
    has that someone sourced out the factory harnessed yet& who is that person????
    thanx joe reda
    It's on another Ody forum I'm not allowed to mention here. I don't know if they have them or not, haven't checked back. I'm not a big fan of the other site....minivan enthusiast doesn't quite fit me.... :D
  • slewis1slewis1 Member Posts: 1
    You need a TORX 30, which is a common size. I purchased my crossbars from Handa and installed them a few days ago. It was very easy--especially after removing the end caps. They are a little tricky--just take your time, wiggle them back and forth a little, and they'll just suddenly come off. The bars look nice and seem very sturdy.
  • ipodbradipodbrad Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased 05 w/Nav, DVD/CD, and 6 CD changer. All I can find to direct connect my ipod is harnesses that require me to remove by CD changer and I have been told the XM will not work as well. \
    Has anyone found a solution to hook up to the AUX port? or any other creative ideas so that I dont have to give up technology to expand it?
    Hi, Sorry I didn't get back to you, but someone else did (correctly). I was "off line" for a couple of days.

The info provided was dead on.

jp
  • cmaronecmarone Member Posts: 2
    I have been looking for this too. Does anyone know if the module by DesignTech works on the '05 Odyssey?

And a related question: how can I turn off that annoying beeper that comes on when the key is off but the lights left on? The lights go off after 10 seconds or so, but it's very annoying.

Thanks,
    cmarone
  • attilauyattilauy Member Posts: 32
    There is a device being sold by sharper image or maybe in numerous other stores wherein you connect the iPOd and hook it to cigarette lighter for power. Tune in the device with the same FM on you regular van radio. Volume control is on the van radio and selection control is on the iPOD. Using this device, you maybe able to play iPOD music in all your different cars with a regular FM radio. I am not sure about the sound quality. Just read about it and am planning to have one. Anybody tried it before? What is you opinion about the set up, ease of control and sound quality?
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    I have one (made by Monster). You can get them anywhere. The better ones let you pick any frequency on the FM dial to modulate through. Mine only lets you choose from 10.

Quality of sound is pretty good. The only problem you have is if there isn't a station without a stong signal available to modulate through. Usually only a problem outside a big city lik NY, not an issue out in the country.

There is also a hard wire option called the icelink (not sure of the speling, think it's made by dennison). Pricy at about $200, and it will use the aux port on your radio (so no XM), but it allows the car stereo to control most of the ipod functions, plus cleaner sound.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• cmaronecmarone Member Posts: 2
    We love our '05 Odyssey, but I think Honda went a little too far with the beepers and warnings.
    Does anyone know how to turn off the annoying beeper that reminds you to turn off your headlights?
    I like to run the headlights as Daytime Running Lights, and they go off after 10 seconds.
    So why do I need to hear beep! beep! beep! every time I turn off the ignition?
    It sounds like the same beeper that reminds! you to buckle-up, even if you just moving the car in the driveway. I don't need to be reminded about that.

Does anyone know how to turn off the annoying beeper?
    Hi again,

I decided to try the "gutter screen" approach. Bought some vinyl gutter screen at Osh, took off the panel that covers the top of the radiator (10+ push rivets), removed the front grille (two more push rivets), put the screen mesh behind the existing grille, attached with black zip ties. Took about 45 minutes...including planing how to do it, finding the ties, etc. Could do another one in 15. Looks fine...really almost invisible. Total investment less than $6.00 (not counting my incredibly valuable time!).

I'll drive it for awhile. Functionally this is a good solution, I'll get the fancy one from Mr. Grille if I decide I don't like my modification or just want the "look".

jp
  • needaminivanneedaminivan Member Posts: 6
    Does anybody know if I can find an aftermarket Power Liftgate for a new Honda Odyssey? We recently purchased an EX-L rather than a Touring model and miss this option.
  • macdaddygmacdaddyg Member Posts: 7
    Hi All,

Any opinions on installing a bra on my odyssey for paint protection over long road trips? Any experiences... good or bad? Good investment?

Thanks.
  • rshtrsht Member Posts: 277
    macdaddyg, this is just my experience and opinion....
    The Good:
    - Minimize, even avoid paint chips from flying rocks and heavy duty bugs
    - kinda look cool and sporty
    The Not So Good:
    - Gotta keep it tight and securely installed to avoid rubbing and scratching the paint
    - Take it off frequently for cleaning to avoid sand and dust build-up under the bra,
    that can also scratch your paint...
    - Keep the bra off when its wet or rainny, as the trapped moisture can dull your paint
    - Its a pain to keep putting it on then taking it off, especially if there are multiple pieces
    In my case, it has caused me more pain, so, I stopped using it.
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    For those of us that are terminally lazy but want some frontal, hood & windshield protection, I would suggest an acrylic hood deflector before a bra. Basically maintanence free. I have them on both of my '02's (Subaru Outback & the Odyssey). I had to replace the one on the Subi two years ago after it took a major rock hit and developed a crack, but that probably saved metal and glass.

Steve
  • sciencemanscienceman Member Posts: 80
    If anyone has replaced the rear speakers on the 05 Ody, can you tell me if the rear side panels had to be removed or can the grills be removed independently?
  • jenns06jenns06 Member Posts: 1
    We just bought a 06 odyssey and are having something called the roadblock put on. It is a clear plexy composite shield that covers the entire front of the vehicle. It is invisible except for a very thin line. You can wash and wax and you never have to remove it. Your dealer should have all the info on it. if you look up the link for roadblock car protection by autobauhn on yahoo you should be able to find this. Hope this helps!

Jenn
  • jim1018jim1018 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if the EX steering wheel mounted audio controls can be easily installed in a LX?

Recently I purchased a 2006 Odyssey LX and while it’s a great vehicle, the radio ergonomics are poor, requiring a considerable stretch while driving to operate the channel tuning buttons. If I can add the EX audio controls to my LX steering wheel it would make channel surfing a lot more enjoyable. Thanks for the help!
  • luisr1031luisr1031 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone can tell me if the 2002 leather covers will fit the 2001 model?
  • fencingmomfencingmom Member Posts: 4
    Anyone know how much the extended pedals are to have installed? Definitely not a diy project, but I find I really need the extended pedals. Thanks in advance.
  • slykslyk Member Posts: 21
    How do I make use of the rear (3rd row) aux inputs and headphone jacks? I tried to plug things in (both headphones and a video game) and can't seem to make things work. Foremost I guess is how do you access between dvd/aux functions on the remote or front radio controls? Can only seem to bring up dvd.
    (The RES is factory install)
    Thx-slyk
  • svaughansvaughan Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone talk about their experiences with the Honda Leather Steering Wheel cover vs the Wheelskins cover for the Honda Odyssey? I received a Wheelskins cover for a present and am considering returning it and getting the genuine Honda cover. On the pictures on the net, it looks like the Wheelskins cover does not fit as well as the Honda cover. Any thoughts?
  • mash4mash4 Member Posts: 5
    HI,
    I just picked up my 06 EX-L with nav and DVD. I want to get the heavy duty mats for winter, as I live in Rochester, NY. Is Autosport the cheapest still? Also what about getting the console that comes with the Touring. How does one buy that or other aftermarket items, like the rain guards on the windows?
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    H & A Accessories (an Edmunds sponsor)has some of what you seek:
    http://www.handaccessories.com/

For sub-system part diagrams and parts pricing:
    http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/

Have fun!
  • lbshafferlbshaffer Member Posts: 2
    I bought an Auto Vent Shade air deflector for my new Odyssey thinking that it would cover the entire front edge of the hood, but it only covers the part between the headlamps. I know that I saw an 05 or 06 Odyssey with a deflector that covered the entire front edge, including above the headlamps. Does anybody know who makes the one that covers the entire front edge?
  • mentoromentoro Member Posts: 11
    I am purchasing All season Floor Mats for the 06 Odyssey (Original Honda Mats). I wanted to know if these are installed over the factory Carpet Mats or do I remove the Carpet Mats and install the All Season Mats on the floor carpet? Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks.
  • asif1asif1 Member Posts: 49
    You have to remove the carpet mats to install rubber mats. They too have buttons like carpet mats to attach to the bottom. The front mat comes in one piece instead of 2 in carpet mats.
  • asif1asif1 Member Posts: 49
    I recently installed Splash Guard on my 06 Ody EX. I bought for 70 $ online (asked my local dealer to match the best online price). First i thought i can install these without taking the tires out. But to do a good and comfortable installation you have to take the tires out. I did not get any installation instruction with the splash guard and down loaded one from internet. The front splash guards are very easy. It uses 2 existing screws plus one which comes with the splash guard. For the rear Splash Guards, you have to take the inner fender liner out and keep it out. You also have to cut a square nut already installed behind the bumper.
    Difficult to describe without diagram. But here are my suggestions;

1) Read the rear splash guard installation instruction carefully
    2) Take the tires out, use the jack which comes with ody.
    3) The inside fender liner needs to be taken out and replaced with splash guard (06 EX).

Spend 2 hrs and save 36 $ dealer installation.
    I jacked the rear (about to the point the tire comes off the ground) and had plenty of room without removing wheels. You just need a shorty screwdriver. This saves a lot of time. I only had about 30 minutes installing them. It must only take the dealer about that amount of time if they're only charging $36. I'm sure they get $75/hour.
This discussion has been closed.