Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Jeep Grand Cherokee Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    blkhemiblkhemi Member Posts: 1,717
    Did the dealer check the Fuel Pressure Regulator? You may also want to check the fuel filter. In what you've described, it sounds like it is a fuel delivery problem. I am interested in why the dealer can't find this problem with only 37000 miles and its 2003. Should be still under warranty.I would drop the vehicle off at the dealer and tell them not to call unless they are for sure they've fixed it. I'm certain that it is a fuel problem because you mentioned that you can smell rich fumes out of the exhaust= unburned gas. When you have to consistently turn the ignition, this causes more fuel to be funneled to the engine than the engine's computer calls for,causing burn-off.
  • Options
    paulepaule Member Posts: 382
    You either have a bad drive belt or your alternator is shot.
    Take it in to an Autozone and they'll diagnose it for free.
  • Options
    dagoods25dagoods25 Member Posts: 13
    I had my 05 JGC limited with a 4.7 liter V8 repaired a few weeks ago. I had the water contamination problems as well. So far it is driving like it did when I first got it, which is perfect. Aside from this problem, and I do think it is a big one, I really really love the car. I chose jeep over all the rest (toyota, ford, GMC, etc) because my family has owned several and they are very dependable. I am curious if anyone who has had the problem a lot of us have experienced, how has the car been afterwards? Has anyone encountered more problems? Lets hope this problem is resolved after this...
  • Options
    jeeproverjeeprover Member Posts: 17
    You are right that this sort of stuff happens in other vehicles, and sometimes worse. My comments are intended for Jeep owners, who understand. Still, we need to share info on systemic problems to deal with them. It is not a criticism of the brand to discuss these problems. I continue to like and drive jeeps and think they are good value for the money. There are better vehicles, but not for the money.
  • Options
    Well I stand corrected.
  • Options
    lowsidelowside Member Posts: 2
    Hello I have a 94 Grand Cherokee that does the same thing. Everyone that I talk to says that this is normal. Currently I am still working on the problem.
  • Options
    Most early model JGC's with Quadra-trac were notorious for what is called "gear binding" in 4x4 talk. This can involve low speed grunting, bucking, and tire squeal. It does not affect the performance of the system. I had this problem on my '93 5.2-Limited and my '98 5.9 Limited. Took both to dealer several times to only be told that it is "normal Jeep stuff". I then told them that if something happens to them that it would be all on them! But I do believe that it must be normal to earlier ZJ (93-98) and some Quadra-Drive- equipped WJ (99-02) JGC's. If the vehicle still shifts in and out of 4WD LO, I would just live with it because as you said, they want to charge you an arm and leg to rectify a problem that they still may not fix. I should know because they put brand new tranfer cases, levers, and new sets of tires to no avail.
  • Options
    hurkfixerhurkfixer Member Posts: 1
    My 93 JGC would not start after a major rain storm. I have no power to the coil. I changed the crank position sensor, the computer, auto shutdown relay. I have checked the anti-theft system. I'm stumped, I have a good maintance back ground, I spent 38 years as an aircraft maintance tech with the U.S Air force but I need help with this one

hurkfixer
  • Options
    bfrederickbfrederick Member Posts: 2
    Thanks blkhemi for the response. Yes, the dealer has checked the fuel pressure regulator, but I'll ask about the fuel filter when I bring it in this Friday. The dealer will fix it under warranty, but not until they can reproduce the problem. This morning, after sitting all night, it had a delayed start and you could smell the fumes. But the next start up was fine. I am thinking it may be the on board computer and maybe it is mis-calculating fuel mixture. Do you have any thoughts in regards to the on board computer? :shades:
  • Options
    You could talk to the dealer about "reflashing" the computer. Some WJ's have had to undergo this process. Fortunately, I missed out on that one. I would also tell the dealer to look at the spark plugs and cap. Believe it or not, I had to have a "tune-up"on mine after only 28,000 miles because I complained to the dealer about hesitation and misfire. If at all possible, I would take the Jeep to another dealer. I've had a lot of problems rectified by simply going to another dealer. Example: My Jeep had a bucking sensation when coming to a complete stop. Took it to the dealer and they kept it 14 days only to tell me they can't duplicate the problem because this is an Overland model with 4.7L H.O. and it is hard to pinpoint a problem in this particular model. The biggest load of B.S. ever served up. So I picked it up that morning and drove crosstown to another dealer and they had it fixed in 2 hours. It was the vehicle speed sensor. Hope this helps, let me know if I can be more helpful.
  • Options
    dunlapdunlap Member Posts: 1
    About two weeks ago, my girlfriend overheated her Jeep. Her dad came and fixed it and he had to replace the top radiator hose. He refilled it with coolant and sent her back home. She said it was still overheating on the way home. I figured maybe the thermostat was bad. I drained the system, flush it, drained it again, replaced the thermostat, and refilled it with coolant. We took it out for a drive and when we got about 5 miles out of town, it overheated again. I got the jeep home, talked with my dad and we determined it had a blown head gasket. Spent all weekend in the shop fixing that. When we were putting it back together, we accidentally broke the temperature sending unit. I replaced that. Tonight we took it out for a drive, and it overheated again. It overheats at a slow pace however. I had to drive 70mph for about 10 miles but it got up to about 245 - 260 degrees. I blew the radiator fins out and pressure washed them, I replaced the thermostat, renewed the coolant and flushed the system, The belt was just replaced about 20,000 miles ago. I don't know what else to do. Can someone please help me?????? :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • Options
    Do you hear or see your cooling fan coming on? If it is not, then you must either have a bad relay or fan motor. Also, did you get the right thermostat. Some thermostats are for the winter, others for the summer. Meaning if you got the one for winter, it won't function properly in warm weather. It's essentially like there is no thermostat there. But my money is on the fans.
  • Options
    jmcgaughyjmcgaughy Member Posts: 1
    My 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee, just recently started having a low eratic idle and wants to die whenever I stop. The problem is sometimes it is fine. I took it to a mechanic and it ran fine for him, but two days later it began doing it again. Giving him a general direction for the problem would be a great help, but I am stumped. Anyone experiencing the problem would be a great hep Thanks. :sick:
  • Options
    xscoutxscout Member Posts: 141
    When I had this problem on my 1997 JGC 4.0, it turned out to be a blocked PCV valve and tube. This functions as an air source when the throttle plate is closed.
  • Options
    mikenaustinmikenaustin Member Posts: 1
    I have exactly the same problem. I am going to check the PCV valve now... Please let me know if you find the problem and I will do the same.
  • Options
    I would also take a look at the water pump. Look closely around the bottom of the pump to see if you're getting any leakage from the weep hole.
  • Options
    bryanvigerbryanviger Member Posts: 1
    I have had my vehicle serviced 3 times for the same problem. My vehicle, when
    stopped, would buck forward and then stall out. I took it to the dealership the
    1st time and they stated that maybe the type of gas I used caused it to do just
    this. Later that day I had the same experience, while on my way to the
    dealership, my vehicle began to buck forward on the highway while cruising. the
    dealership fixed the problem by replacing some eletronic module. Just this week,
    the same problem occured, but this time my vehicle struck another vehicle and
    caused excessive damage to both my vehicle and the vehicle I hit, my car is
    currently under investigation at my local Jeep dealership. Please notify me if
    anyone has experienced a similar problem, maybe we can MAKE D.C. fix this
    problem before someone gets seriously hurt!
  • Options
    tdad71302tdad71302 Member Posts: 18
    recently my 95 jgc has had a very foul odor coming out the ac/heating ducts. it literally smells like dog crap. i have no idea. i have 2 kids and i can't run the heat cuz it smells so bad. it'll be winter soon and i need to figure it out soon.
  • Options
    What you are experiencing is mold build-up around the evaporator of your AC system. You may be able to clean it off if it isn't to clogged up.
  • Options
    jimbo611jimbo611 Member Posts: 6
    My jeep does not smoke,had the oil sending unit replaced recently,no help. mechanic said he could find no leaks. When sitting overnight it leaks a spot the size of a 1/2 dollar. Since the last oil change it has leaked about four quarts.
    It is all wheel drive and runs great,any help appreciated..Oh it has 99,000 miles.
  • Options
    spcjamesspcjames Member Posts: 1
    My passanger side power window stoped working, i took the door panel off and looked at it and the cable that pulled the window up ws just hanging there, is there a way to reconnect it or am I going to have to take it in and have it fixed cuz they want 500 bucks to fix it and the army don't pay that much. If anyone knows a way to fix it with out killing the damn thing let me know!!
  • Options
    Did the mechanic check the rear main seal? The 5.2- 318 motor was notorious for rear main seal failure. I had '93 with the 5.2 and it had rear seal leakage at about 115,000 miles. I was experiencing the same thing you are. The mechanic did all he could but to no avail. So I ended up at the dealer and they wanted to charge me a whopping $1700 to fix it. When I asked why so expensive, they replied that they had to pull the tranny out to do the job. So I just lived with it altho my problem wasn't as extensive as yours appears to be. 4 quarts during one oil change cycle is a lot of oil to loose.
  • Options
    Thanks blkhemi, that is exactly what i have been told but the mechanic added since i was going to have that done i might as well have the tranny rebuilt at the same time. Unbelievable prices to do the job. I wonder if a heavier oil would slow the leak?? I will have to change the oil as I go along..
    Thanks Jimbo611
  • Options
    Believe me Jimbo, you DO NOT want to go with a higher viscosity oil in hopes of slowing your leak. You will do more harm than good. One major thing you've got to remember is winter is approaching, which means that the colder it is outside, the harder your engine has to work to lubricate itself. If you live in a warm climate year round, you may be able to get away with a slightly higher viscosity oil, but it's still going to leak regardless. As for your mechanic, no harm, get a second opinion.You don't have to "rebuild" your tranny. If you were to do the job, at the most you should do is change the fluid and filter.IF yours is shifting as good as normal, don't worry as you'll be spending more money than needed. The transmissions that Jeep uses are very stout. You would have to do some crazy things to get them to fail. I know that your car has 99,000 miles on it, and you said it is a '95. That alone tells me that you don't do any heavy duty driving. On my '93, I had 198.000 miles on it before I had to rebuild the tranny. Now it has 248,000 miles on it with a new motor and that same rebuilt tranny. I gave it to the son to go off to college and he reports that it still drives the same as when I gave it to him. It still looks as good as the day I bought it. What I would recommend to you is to check with some local engine rebuilders in your area. I finally went to one before I had to get a new motor and they charged me about $800 and change to do the job. And I didn't get the tranny rebuilt until 30,000 miles later.
  • Options
    bullit1bullit1 Member Posts: 3
    Its a truck not a car . i have a 99 and its all time 4 wheel drive fells like binding around sharp corners the computer controls the power to each tire keeping it from slipin .thing is its1 fun truck to drive so much power that i can always break a tire loose.
  • Options
    Thanks B,
    I think I will just keep driving and add oil when it needs it. I appreciate the info..

jimbo611
  • Options
    techgeektechgeek Member Posts: 1
    Hurkfixer,

Check for any blown fuses in the fuse panel under the engine hood and behind the passenger kick panel on the right side. My son replaced a blown fuse in each of these locations and restored power to the coil. Engine then ran fine…

Techgeek
  • Options
    jgc1996v8jgc1996v8 Member Posts: 1
    My 1996 JGC-V8 5.7 has been one of the best SUV's I have ever had. It has just started with a small (hopefully) problem. When I come to a stop the oil pressure gage drops to nothing and the check engine light comes on (ringing) until I start accelerating again and the pressure returns to normal. Does not do it all the time. Anybody out there heard of this one? PS It has 130,000 miles plus.
  • Options
    scottsi69scottsi69 Member Posts: 1
    I am in need of some info and I’m hoping that someone here may be able to help. I lease a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited and I’m having very bad issues with the front end. Let me start off by saying that this vehicle was well maintained and driven with alot of care. My first problem was when I went in for an alignment and was told that they were unable to do the caster or camber adjustment and the mechanic said that it may have been because the vehicle was in an accident. I am certain that it was not and also had that verified at a body shop (I stopped by one day just to satisfy my curiosity). I did however read "The front end caster and/or camber angles on certain Jeep vehicles are fixed" Has anyone heard of this? I did see that their is a TSB (0200604 - SPECIAL OFFSET BALL JOINT - ALLOWS ADJUSTMENT TO CASTER AND CAMBER ANGLES) and I am wondering how a TSB works? The vehicle is out of warranty and I am having major front end issues. The whole front end feels very "loose" and I don’t even want to drive it as I don’t feel safe. When getting up to 30-40mph I start getting some shaking, 40-70mph the shaking is less noticeable but the vehicle is very loose. This looseness has only gotten worse over time and back when it was just shaking (felt like it was out of balance) I got brand new tires and it still did the same thing. I went back and had the tires rotated and re-balanced and it still did the same thing. I was so certain at the time that the tires just needed to be replaced/balanced and was disappointed when it didn’t help. The tires were shot anyway but I was sure that balancing would help... Well my main question here is can I take this out of warranty vehicle into Jeep and have the do the work performed in the TSR for free? I am not sure how TSR's work, but I know it’s not the same as a recall. I have this truck for another 6 months and don’t want to put any more money into than I have to. I do and will however do whatever it takes to make it safe. Thank you for listening to me ramble and any info is appreciated.
  • Options
    If anything, you oil sending unit may be faulty. IF you are not experiencing any engine problems, then that's it.
  • Options
    slawslaw Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1994 Grand Cherokee Laredo 5.2 with all-time 4x4.

There's a rubber hose about 3" in diameter which originates between the belt and what i presume is the engine block, and goes to the front of the car where the fan is by the grill. It popped off from the grill side when i was driving, smoke was everywhere becase some kind of fluid was coming out of the hose. I reattached it, hoping it will stay.

I haven't driven the car yet, I was wondering if I needed to replentish some kind of fluid that might have been lost? Also, can I be sure that hose won't come off again? Was it a freak thing?

Thanks for any help

Stuart
  • Options
    shorty101shorty101 Member Posts: 30
    I have noticed in the last several days that when I am going at low speeds or when I am at a stop that my engine feels as if it is missing (for a lack of a better word). It almost feels as if it is going to shut off. I bought my JGC 2005 in April and it has 8000 miles on it. I have a 4.7 V-8. Has anyone had the same problem? I am going to bring it to the service dept. if this continues. I am concerned.
  • Options
    jeeproverjeeprover Member Posts: 17
    Problems fixed by TSBs are only paid for by the company if the warranty is in effect, but I've read you can sometimes negotiate with them to split the cost of repairs done beyond the warranty. The TSB you mentioned might be the answer to your problem but since you are well beyond the warranty, a dealer probably wouldn't pay for it - but it might be worth asking.

0200604 - SPECIAL OFFSET BALL JOINT - ALLOWS ADJUSTMENT TO CASTER AND CAMBER ANGLES

Date: August 20, 2004 (supercedes 0200102 dated June 10, 2002)

Model year(s): 2001-2004

Description: This bulletin involves the replacement of one or both front upper ball joints when front end alignment specifications can not be obtained using normal alignment practices. The customer may experience a slight lead or drift to either side of the road. This condition may occur when there is no driver input to the steering system, or when the driver must maintain a constant input to the steering system in order to maintain a straight ahead direction of the vehicle.

NOTE: THIS BULLETIN WILL NOT EFFECT SITUATIONS WHERE A LEAD OR DRIFT CONDITION IS PRESENT ONLY WHEN BRAKING.

Details: The front end caster and/or camber angles on certain Jeep vehicles are fixed. For Grand Cherokee vehicles both the caster and camber angles are non-adjustable (fixed). For Wrangler and Cherokee vehicles only the camber angle is non-adjustable (fixed). The offset ball joints listed in this bulletin allow for the adjustment of these “fixed” front end alignment angles by an amount of up to 1.5 degrees. The offset ball joint should be used only as required.
    F
  • Options
    chumpchump Member Posts: 6
    i have a 94 jgc with a 4.0 ltr. sometimes when starting it it just revs up to 2000 rpm and stays there until you start driving. I've been told it could be the idle air control, but i dont know where it is located or what it looks like. I've had it in the dealer once and they told it was just a tune which i doubted because other than that it runs fine. $440.00 tune up solved nothing so before spending any more cash i'd like to know if anyone has any ideas or suggestions.
  • Options
    jeepjohnjeepjohn Member Posts: 2
    I have 99 jgc Laredo. For several months now when the engine gets hot there is a loud banging/vibration from under/rear of car. When this occurs (which is intermittent) it feels like fuel starvation as well and feels like engine is going to stall. A good hefty foot to the floor to accelerate seems to clear it, but thats not possible in heavy traffic. I have got someone to look underneath when the vibration occurs but nothing seems to be amiss?
  • Options
    debinohdebinoh Member Posts: 1
    I have 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee and when I stop my vehicle jerks like it is not in fully stopping. After sitting at a light it will jerk again and allow for me to continue as normal. If I'm not stopped for a period of time, my vehicle does not want to take off like it should. They it will release. Sometimes when you drive it then races to 3 RPMs and then will finally release and go back to normal. The dealership has replaced my breaks, calipers, and rotors, but it seems not to help. It only happens when the weather gets colder. But, if I put a higher octane gas in it, it no longer does it. I never have this problem during the summer only during the fall and winter. Can someone explain to me what is going on with it?
  • Options
    jeepjimjeepjim Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchased a 98 Grand Cherokee 5.2L with 58K miles. 2 questions please:

The tranny seems to "whistle" in first gear though jeep shifts fine. I also have '94 that doesn't sound like that.

Also, the front end "squeaks" sometimes on bumps or while turning. Not bad, but the '94 doesn't do that either.

Any cause for alarm?

Thanks
  • Options
    95er95er Member Posts: 6
    I own a 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with v8 and full time 4WD with 154K miles.

Just yesterday and today BADLY, it has begun to have a tremendous sharp banging sound (like I just ran over a small curb) when I accelerate from 0-20mph. I can tell it is coming from the transmission when it clunks (almost like the gears are mis-aligned or a cog is missing), the sharp bang is also seen in the 4wd hi/lo gear shift and vibration in the automatic transmission shifter. If I throw it into neutral and coast it goes away.

At first is was just one, but today it's happening with regularity and I'm afraid to drive it now.

Can anyone tell me what's going on and what would be the likely senario for the repair...including (gulp) costs?

Thanks so very much for your help!!

Very concerned
  • Options
    Did you drive with your car in 4WD LO mode at a high rate of speed. Because if so you may have damaged your transfer case. Most of the time, that banging noise you described is usually associated with the transfer case going out. On my '93, I had similar issues and turned out to be the transfer case. My case was about $650, installed.
  • Options
    twoolfordtwoolford Member Posts: 1
    There is a service bulletin on this problem. A bad batch of differential carrier bearings cause the low rumble. My wife's 1999 JGC had to have the rear diff bearings all replaced to cure it. I told the dealer when I took it in that there was a bulletin on the problem, and what it would take to fix it.
  • Options
    They will not repair your vehicle for free under a TSB once you're past your warranty timeframe. I also don't believe that is your problem.
    My guess is that either your front shocks are worn or you have a bad steering dampener (the sideways shock absorber).
    Take a look at the shocks and see if you see any fluid leaking out of them.
    That is the first place I would look at.
    Also check all of the bolts on the front suspension components to see if any are loose.
  • Options
    onejeepowneronejeepowner Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee and sometimes the key won't turn in the ignition. It's like I'm not even using the right key, even though I am. I have this problem with both keys. Although other times it works just fine. I took it to the dealer and they said they couldn't recreate the problem. Can anyone help?
  • Options
    fromerofromero Member Posts: 1
    THE PROBLEM IS IN THE CYLINDER. . 5083915AB IS THE PART # FOR A NEW CYLINDER AND I REPLACE THEM ALL THE TIME.
  • Options
    jawartersjawarters Member Posts: 2
    Service 4wd Switch

Have a 1994 GC Laredo with 200,000 miles. 5.2L V-8 with NP-249 all-time 4wd. VIC just started resetting the clock by itself (service interval not changed). Has been displaying "Service 4wd switch" for the past couple of weeks.

When all 4 wheels are lit, it means the transfer case is either in 4wd Hi or Lo. Not lit, allegedly means it's in neutral.

See many posts in many forums with no clear solution. Sometimes replacing the switch work, sometimes not. Some dealers suggest the VIC is shot and needs to be replaced at $1,500. Not.

Also saw suggestions it's a bad ground on the 4wd switch (neither Chilton's nor Haynes don't show a 4wd switch on the transfer case and I haven't crawled under to see yet). Others suggest "freeing up / adjusting linkage." Another brave soul disassembled the VIC and glued the loose sides together. Another simply removed the power to the VIC via fuse #19. Take your pick. Jim
  • Options
    dvannerdvanner Member Posts: 1
    I have a 95 GCL with about 130,000 miles. It is a work horse, and I have had no major problems with it. The only issue I have with it is that my security system keeps engaging, and occasionally the regular key method to disengage works, but most often, I have to disconnect the battery cables and re-attach. Could anyone help me please? I have no clue what to do, I am not mechanically inclined, but I know taking it to the shop for this problem would cost me much much more than I would like to pay.
  • Options
    boosted82boosted82 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee Larado, bought it with about 96K miles on it. So, I have been hearing a rattling sound under the hood when the car is running, I look at the fan and it is wobbling. So there seems to be alot of play in that pulley. Now my question is, is this just the pulley seperating? Or do you think its the water pump starting to fail? I have also noticed that it leaks coolant while at idle or just while the car is on, no much a slow drip.. but that is still more then I want. Any pointers would be great. Thanks
  • Options
    sushmongersushmonger Member Posts: 1
    i own a 1995 jeep grand cherokee larado and havent had any major problems. last night i hopped into my car, turned on the engine, and stepped on the brake before shifting the jeep from park to reverse and heard a strange hissing sound. anyone have any ideas of whats going on?
  • Options
    kguinnkguinn Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2001 grand jeep cherokee. sometimes the abs light and the break light will come on while i'm driving , at this time the transmission will start slipping. i've replaced the ignition switch and the speed sensor , which did not help. i've replaced the battery and had the alternator checked, any suggestions?
  • Options
    elleonelleon Member Posts: 4
    I own a 93 Grand Cherokee Jeep, 4-wheel drive. About 4 weeks ago the jeep started to act up and it sounds like there's no fuel getting to the engine. I changed the plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor and fuel filter and still same issue. The mechanics can't find anything and can't duplicate the problem. I drove it home and it started chugging again like it was going to die on me. After a few seconds of chugging along it started running perfectly again. Mechanics checked the fuel pump and it's working fine. Any ideas?
  • Options
    mojomavenmojomaven Member Posts: 3
    Thanks Evan.

They replaced a control arm. Still squeaks. Now theay are going to replace the spring...In other words, they have no clue. I'll let you know if it works. Please let me know how they handle your issue.

Regards,
    Eric