Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• icehawk5icehawk5 Member Posts: 15
    I am also having the problem with the black vinyl trim on my 2003 elantra gt. It is all wrinkled and bunched up at the bottom of the pillar. The dealership has ordered new trim to fix the problem. They did not offer painting as an option. I have yet to take it in to be repaired, but I just noticed something the other day. As I was driving to work, a Mercedes ML320 pulled up alongside of me. I just happened to glance over, when I had noticed that the Mercedes also had vinyl trim on the pillar that was peeling, wrinkling and all bunched up near the bottom. The Mercedes trim was in worse condition than mine. I wouldn't expect to see this poor quality in a $50,000+ SUV! My Santa Fe doesn't even have vinyl trim on the pillar! Makes feel a little bit better with my $13,000 purchase!
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    So not only does MB use Hyundai robots to build their cars, they also use the same kind of vinyl trim on the door pillars. I wonder how else MB has copied Hyundai? ;-)
  • timothybtimothyb Member Posts: 7
    I've only had my 02GT for about a year, with only 7700 miles on it, but the paint is totally screwed.

It's covered from front to back with spots that you can feel, are clear, crackly looking. Theres one every square inch. Some are
    turning a rusty color. Nothing has hit the sides, and you can tell they are drops of something because close to the sides the spots are longer. I also have two chips on the roof that don't look like a big piece chipped off by something, but it's many craks with little pieces fallen off here and there.

The first time I took it to the dealer (It's a Dodge dealer that sells new hyundais) for the two spots, they were going to repaint it, at least that's what it said on the receipt, they didn't give an explanation for it too. I never got back right away since that was the day when I first saw the other spots across the paint. They were hidden since I didn't wash the car worrying it would effect the chip and how it was caused. When I got the car back, they had washed it themselves. I thought these spots across the car where just soap spots at the time. But when a car wash didn't work, or when sap/tar remover didn't budge them, something was wrong.

Taking to the dealer again after a long time, I'm lazy (but I was washing the car all the time when I first got it, I was proud of my first car, but got depressed after the flaws, they also arn't opened weekends) Well, they had a new
    staff, this time they said those particular two chips are caused by bird crap, when the last time they didn't say that, and they don't keep records too long, luckily I found the original receipt which I'll show later. Then they told me the spots across the car have eaten into the clear coat, which can only be done by acid or chemical. And bird crap excuse for the chips is lame, especially only after 3 months of buying it. And for acid, how do they explain that it's covered evenly, no splash like pattern where it hit somewhere and spread out as it went further. This is on the hood evenly, the roof, top sides of the doors and car, and the back hatch, but amazingly not on any vertical sides. What are the chances of acid landing like that?

I think it's something from a tree, as I continuely see similar looking spots on my windows that wash away. And so if it is tree sap, how can something like that eat through a clear coat unless something is wrong with the paint? I parked my 1977 Delta 88 for a year in the same spots I'm parking this car and it never had this problem. My dad with his Torus has had his car there for 5 years with no problem in the same work place. And no other cars seem to have this ugly problem on the paint. If it was tree downtown with sap eating through paint, I'd think the tree would have been removed 20 years ago after complaints of ruined paint. And as the spots are apearing more and more, and on windows after a wash, it again can't be acid.

Does this sound like a paint defect, a weakness to enviornmental stuff that it shouldn't be. My parents who have own so many cars in their lifetime say they have never seen something this bad, especially for being so new.

While I'm at it, the locking mechanism for the hatch door rattles over bumps, just locking it with the remote, closing it, rough roads, and sometimes while at a light. The previous employees said it wasn't a concern, they could replace it, but they said there was no gaurantee it would stop or start again. The other GTs didn't do it on the lot, they are asses. We looked at one, and with his finger flicking at the rod in a new car that seems to be the problem in my car, it made a similar rattle, but that was 1/30th the level, and it had to be opened and touched to recreate it, and that was his excuse for it being normal. They should replace the entire hatch if the rod replacement doesn't work, the damn car was two weeks old at the time. Plus there's other rattles galor in the side panels to the doors. I can't drive on the freeway without having to push my elbow against the side to stop it without going nuts. Rough roads, oh my god. Even the passenger female buckle at the front is defective, it doesn't spring back like it's supposed to and rattles all the time, I have to buckle that seat to stop it. The first time I took it for that, they ordered the part, I came back on the next oil change, wish they were open on weekends again, and they had no idea about it, the part wasn't there anymore, and this time they said when I got it back the buckle had no problem. Horribly inconsitent.
    One key to the paint problem may be "Some are
    turning a rusty color." That could point to rail dust being the culprit. If rail dust gets on a new, unprotected paint finish, it can embed little metal particles into the clearcoat and cause damage like what you are describing. That can happen in transit or even while the car is sitting in a lot waiting for delivery, if it's close to a rail line. Did anyone with Hyundai mention this possibility?
    Nope, just a chemical, and it's eaten through the clear coat. Nothing more technical than that. The only thing they suggested was to see if it hasn't reached the primar and have it, I think it was, sand blasted to remove the clear coat to have it reapplied. They say there are many clear coats applied to let this be done. They noticed a similar spot on the plastic around the window shield wipers area. So that was their prefect reason to say it isn't a defect since you can tell something fell on it. But whatever fell on it, couldn't have done this to the clear coat, since it seems to be reaccuring from some tree as I see on my windows, no some chemical.

Remind you this is a Dodge dealer talking.

So if this rail dust gets on the car, that could be a reason for rust color if the clear coat was comprimised. But is it also the reason for my car being so easily damaged by something like everyday sap?

I'll get some pics with a digital camera
  • starriverstarriver Member Posts: 26
    Thanks for information about Hunter GSP9700.

Because shimmy come back after second tire rotation, I believe there is something wrong with wheel installation. I uninstalled two front wheels and inspected carefully. I noticed that steel rims and nuts in hub both have marks. rim has a small bent and nut in hub has a blue mark. I matched these two marks when I put wheels back, and surprisingly it worked. I feel the steering wheel is very stable for any speed and it is same as before tire rotation. I don't know I've solved the problem completely or not, but I will drive with this for another 7.5k.
  • g_in_denverg_in_denver Member Posts: 2
    I feel your pain about your paint job as I had a similar situation last month. In my case the city laid new concrete flat work and a week later sprayed it with hardener - which drifted over the lot where I park and settled on every car, leaving a fine grit that seemed to embed in the paint. Only surfaces facing up were affected, including the glass (you could hear a "sandpaper" sound when using the wipers). Washing and waxing would NOT remove it. I went to a body shop and they showed me how to repair the problem - more about that later in this post.

Regarding your specific problem, bird droppings and tree sap are nasty on any car finish, not just Hyundai (clear coat is only 0.002 to 0.004 inches thick). Bird droppings can be especially bad if the birds have been feasting on berries (lots of natural dyes and acids). Some trees "drop" a fine sap, almost like a mist, during their "seeding" season. This can cover the horizontal surfaces with "spots" but they normally aren't very large.

That said, your description of an EVEN distribution on horizontal surfaces sounds much like the problem I had. Are there chemical plants, railroad tracks, farms or construction projects near where you parked? All of these can produce assorted airborn nasties that can settle on your car.

Regardless of the cause, you are probably seeking a solution to return the finish to near-new condition without having to repaint the top coat. My Hyundai body shop along with Internet forums provided me with the solution to my problem - it may work for you, too. Note that this is time consuming, MUST take place in one to two days WITHOUT driving away, should NOT be done in direct sunlight, and take a lot of elbow grease (power buffers are NOT recommended). My Elantra took 15 hours of labor to restore.

Here is the process and list of materials I used.

Materials:
    1) Petrolium based tar and bug remover - I know, it's not good for the environment but it's the only way to TOTALLY remove tar; about $3.

2) Dawn liquid dish detergent - used to remove ALL wax from finish, about $2.

3) California Dry Blade - a soft "plastic" blade used to quickly remove the water after washing; WalMart about $9.

4) Clay Magic (brand) clay cleaner bar -a product used by body shops to remove overspray and embedded dirt; Checkers or AutoZone, $10.

5) Maguiar's Deep Crytal Step #2 polish - used to POLISH after using Clay Magic; about $5 (do NOT use "cleaner" products!).

6) A quality foam applicator pad (I used Sure Grip brand) - to apply polish; about $3.

7) RainX Utlra Wax - used to seal the finish after polishing (really a polymer, not a true wax); WalMart, about $8. Note that the included applicator works well - do NOT reuse the applicator used for the polish.

8) Microfiber cloths, 6 to 8 - used to dry the car and remove the sealer (VERY important to use these, not towels!); about $7 for 6 (suggest getting two packages for $14).

Procedure:

Remove all tar and bugs using tar-and-bug remover product.

Wash twice with strong concentraiton of Dawn to remove all wax. Do NOT wash in sunlight (dries too fast and leaves stubborn spots).

After second wash, LEAVE car WET.

Next, rub down the entire car with Clay Magic. Follow manufacturer directions. Use their lubricant or a little water if the surface begins to dry. Note: cut the Clay Magic bar in half. If you drop it, throw it away as it is no longer safe to use on your finish!

Wash car with very little soap to remove Clay Magic residue.

Use California Blade to "quick dry" and immediately use microfiber cloth to thorough dry the car and remove any water spots.

Finish should now feel smooth as glass and look like new.

Apply Maguiar's Polish using foam applicator pad. Do NOT apply in sunlight. Apply in STRAIGHT LINE motion, do NOT use circular motion! You want to remove swirl marks, not add them. Remove polish with microfiber cloths, turning and replacing frequently (you did buy enough, didn't you?).

Apply Ultra Wax in THIN layer. Remove with microfiber cloths, turning and replacing frequenty.

ALL of the above should be done in one day without driving away.

After a minimum of 12 hours, repeat second coat of Ultra Wax polymer.

Done. Enjoy a great finish.

Regards,
    G in Denver
    I'll read that last post a little more carefully, but my internet is going on and off today, so I'm just going to post the link to the images of the spots. The brown color can be washed off the spots it turns out, but I guess rust can be a powder anyway.

You'll see photos of the rear window showing that the spots are not from one freak accident, but something that is reaccuring. I can easily scratch off the spots on the window, but every spot on the paint is perminant. Even a tar and sap remover I tried really quickly didn't do a thing. These spots you'll see on the hood is the same on the roof and back. One photo shows the crack area on the roof, a similar spot on the roof 12 inches away is smaller and cracked, but no chips. The weird spots for the rest of the car are clear when washed, sometimes not visible at certain angles, but that is getting worse. Up close, sorry no macro lens, they look like they 100s of tiny cracks in it.

It's 514k, I made one big image with all of them stiched togethor.

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/timothyb/_uimages/carspots.jpg

I washed the car two weeks ago, and that many spots are on the window again, as you see.
    I don't go out much so this is from parking at work, downtown, but I don't see any other cars with this problem when I walk by to the building. Otherwise at home it's in a covered spot. But I got in trouble there too, the complex didn't have their sprinklers set right and one whole side of the car has hardwater spots :( Why does everything go wrong. I'm only 22 and this was my first car that I'm paying for on my own.
  • jimbeaumijimbeaumi Member Posts: 620
    I was weeping when I found the tea-colored stains on my car after moving two months ago to a new apartment with no carport (but under a tree). Your problem would give me a nervous breakdown, but hang in there -- anyone who blames your mess on birds is an idiot. My bird messes wipe off and if difficult, they buff out. Did yours turn up gradually or mostly at one time?
    When they first appeared, maybe it was about half the spots there are now. And they weren't discolored, they were clear but at cetrain angles you can see them as whitish spots. I feel like the only way to have avoided this was to wash the car every weekend, and still if some of this stuff got on on Monday, the chances are it be stuck by the weekend if not the next day. Am I supposed to wash my car everyday to have prevented this? My other 1977 olds didn't have this problem and I hardly washed that because of a paint defect on it, but no sap or whatever like this. I'd like to say again that the dealer said these spots have eaten into the clear coat, how can sap do this, I'd believe a bird could if left for a month on the paint. But at the time I was washing my car regularly. Of course when the spots came, I was greatly depressed like you said you would, so my habits on washing slowed down a bit.
    I've had spots from bird droppings on my cars lots of times. These spots don't look like bird dropping spots to me. They're too small. (Small birds maybe?) And they look too big for tree sap spots. I'm thinking g_in_denver is on the right track asking about other kinds of pollutants that might be hitting on your car.

But if the spots are from birds, it doesn't take a month to affect the paint on an Elantra--it takes a day or two. I know that because I've had a couple of bird droppings that I didn't remove right away, and I can see a slight hazing of the clearcoat from those spots. I expect I can buff those out, but I can imagine what would happen if I left the droppings on for a month. And I'm pretty good about waxing my cars, 3-4 times a year. My cars are garaged at night and usually under cover during the day, so they don't get many bird droppings or much tree sap. But I've heard that the new paint formulations, water-based (more "green"), that Hyundai and other makers use now are more susceptible to damage. So comparison to your '77 Olds may not be that useful. It would be better to compare to newer cars that use similar paint formulations, e.g. other Hyundais or cars that use water-based paint.
    If they are bird drops, that's a hell of a lot to be hitting my car all the time, without anyone else having the problem. And even with it damaging the paint, wouldn't even small dropping look like dropping, as these are the same from when they appeared to after a wash, not like your normal droppings you see on your car that are raised and have white or other colors. The spots on the windows flakes away when scratching it off in tiny bits, it doesn't look like or act like bird droppings, but nothing can budge the spots on the paint.

I could live with some bird spots like these here and there, but with such a new car, something like this is unbelievable, you'd expect this on a 5 year old car. I'd never buy a new car if this happened withen the first 4 months of everyone.

I need to take it to a repectable place to get an opinion on it to find out what it is and if it should have done this.

What things can be done to get this fixed? They did agree to repaint the two chips on the roof. Though, the sevice paper says appointment to be scheduled, no explanation on what was to be done and it was when I got the car back when I first saw the spots, so i don't know if that was included or not. Maybe with the argument that if the roof is to be painted because of the chips being agreed before as a defect, the whole car should be incase there will be more.

My aunts bosses sister had got an elantra gt and it was having problems and the whole thing was repainted. I'm trying to get more info on it. And my Aunt herself got a Sonota and low and behold she had odd chipping on the bumper which was repainted for her.
    Let's here and now rule out bird droppings as the cause of your trouble. Your next step is to contact Hyundai directly with a detailed letter and your photos of those awful spots. Good luck and keep us posted.
  • g_in_denverg_in_denver Member Posts: 2
    Sorry for the delayed reply.

After looking at your photos, birds are out but other contaminants are probable.

Everything is affected by something - you need to do some detective work here. You said tar remover didn't do anything so that rules out petroleum based contaminants. Next you need to see if it is organic or mineral and if it is acidic or alkaline based. From your pix I see a lot of smaller spots almost like a mist or a powder. It is also on the window so that is the place to start (glass isn't affected by mild solvents as paint would be affected). First try cleaning a small area of glass with vinegar on a paper towel - don't get any on the paint. Also try rubbing alcohol. Does it clean off easily?

Another thing you must do is try to find the source. I would use masking tape to secure a sheet of clear plastic (I would try a sheet of overhead transparency) to the roof/trunk or hood. Use one piece when you park at work and a separate second piece when you park at home. Don't leave it on while driving... 8^)

The large drops almost appear as though they are thicker than water but they also look as though they may be interacting with whatever fine material is covering the car (arrived at this from the short down travel of the spots on your door and window).

I think the first place to look is the car covering at your home. Is this a car port or a fully enclosed garage? If a car port, look up and tell us how it is finished - painted, wood, stained, bare metal, etc. Next, has your city had cool nights and high humidity? If so, does dew form in the grass? If so, it could form in the car port and drip on your car at night although this doesn't answer the question about the finer contaminant.

Try the cleaning method I recommended several posts back. Keep us informed.

Regards,
    G in Denver
    Since we have no "maintenance" heading for our Elantra discussions, I'll post here.

If anyone has replaced their OEM Michelin tires with Dunlop SP Sport A2s, please let me know your experiences. I'd like to know if gas mileage has changed due to different rolling resistance, if the ride is rougher or smoother, if it is quieter or less quiet inside, etc. It looks like this is the best tire overall for my needs, and especially at the price. Any new information or input is always helpful. :)
  • banddexpressbanddexpress Member Posts: 63
    I was just curious if anyone else has had this problem? We have an 03 elantra and when you first take off in your car after its set for around 8 hours or so you take off then your car doesn't want to p/u power it cuts down then in a few seconds its fine again and doesn't mess up anymore. I was wondering has anyone else had this happen or if there was a recall on something? Thanks for your help.
    Brent
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    this is a problem currently under investigation by Hyundai. Typically doesn't start showing up until the car has >15K miles, and only does it when the engine is cold and the ambient temp is about 85deg or more. Once the engine has run for about one minute, the problem goes away.

Jim
    I had the TSB for wind noise on the A pillar performed on my Elantra GLS the other day, and they replaced the weatherstripping on the driver's side. But the wind noise is still there, maybe even worse than before. Those of you who have had this fix: did it solve the noise problem? It's definitely coming from the driver's side.
  • kev1122kev1122 Member Posts: 1
    Hi!

I've had my new 2003 Elantra VE for 3 days now, and I noticed that when I exit the car that no warning signal sounds off if I forget to turn off the headlights.

Is this normal? my last two vehicles (not Hyundais) gave a warning signal. I thought this was standard in all new cars.

-Kev-
    But on an elantra the lights turn off when you remove the key and open the door. Hence, no warning needed.

Jim
  • banddexpressbanddexpress Member Posts: 63
    Jim thanks for the response my car only has around 4k on it and it does it allready. I guess that is one thing good about a long warranty there is time enough for the problem to be fixed. Thanks again.
    Brent
  • gpagpagpagpa Member Posts: 55
    I too had the wind noise coming from the driver side window and had it fixed by changing the weatherstripping as per the TSB. Unfortunately, I too, have experienced the same noise coming from the window. I had the dealership look at it again and they were very patient and wanted to get this resolved. They decided to change another part don't know the name. They claimed that there was no noise when they test drived it, but on my way home I could still hear it. Now, when I open a window other than the driver side, I can feel air coming in from where the driver side handle is.
  • mrvanmrvan Member Posts: 17
    I didn't know about the TSB, but I took my '03 GT to the dealer shortly after I bought it because it had excessive wind noise from the driver side A pillar. Turns out it was the mirror. Dealer replaced the mirror and weather stripping along the window - no more noise.

-mrvan
  • ellandryellandry Member Posts: 66
    Guys I just bought my GLS last week and had the same wind over a bottle top noise between 65 and 80 mph. After recording the sound for the dealership and having them searhc the web they discovered that Hyundai knows about the problem and has come out with updated weatherstripping for what the term a "crosswinds" problem. Dealer has ordered the parts and I will update when they are installed.
    A TSB for the A-pillar weatherstripping, for wind noise, has been out for some time. I had the problem on my '01 GLS, which was one of the first 1000 units shipped to the U.S. New weatherstripping, installed a couple of weeks ago, didn't solve it. Is this a new TSB?
    Don't know but I will let you guys know the second I get them installed and test it
    Backy they said it is brand new design of weatherstripping and I am the first in this area to try it. Will test this weekend
    No--I asked if it was a brand new design of weatherstripping. What they put on my car a few weeks ago didn't do squat with the wind noise.
    backy they must have given me something new. I just drove a 4 hour trip at 75-80 mph 90% of the way on a windy day and not a sound at all. God it was awesome to drive that long and hear nothing but the cd player :).
    That's great news! I'll have to take my car back and see if I can get some of that magical weatherstripping.
    do you want me to give you the model numbers they put on the repair receipt? maybe that would help?
    Yes, that would be a big help to me and others, thanks!
    Hey backy here you go, hope this helps you guys. LMK if you need anything else

http://bellsouthpwp.net/e/l/ellandry/Resize%20of%20Image-02.jpg
  • elantramanelantraman Member Posts: 24
    When I pump my brakes, open or close windows, I get interfearance on the radio if I have it on. Dealer thinks I am mistaken, but it does it all the time. Ground wire?
    if am only, check ground of antennae. if am and fm, check ground on radio for power.
    backy is that enough info from the scan?
    That is just what I need, I really appreciate your scanning the invoice and putting it on the Web--"above and beyond". Now I need to compare it to the invoice from my dealer...
    Good luck, let me know what you find :)
    I have been wanting to install a new MP3 deck in my 2003 Elantra GT for a while now. I was browsing the Hyundai WebTech website and I had noticed that they had a TSB regarding a Kenwood stereo installation. I had found this prior to knowing that the 2004 Elantra GT's came with a Kenwood deck as stock. The TSB lists a part number for a dash kit for the Elantra, which I ordered through my local dealership - Paid $16.00. I then went to Best Buy and purchased a new Kenwood KDC-MP522 MP3/Sirius Receiver, and since installation was free, I had them install it using the kit that I had purchased. This is one of the cleanest installations that I have seen. The new deck looks great in the dash, and is great sounding, even with the stock speakers. The deck has red and blue displays, which match the instrument panel colors. For those that are looking to replace their stock deck, I would recommend that you buy this kit, which, by the way, includes a Kenwood wiring harness - no cutting or splicing - it just plugs right up to a Kenwood deck and stock Hyundai connector. By getting the Kenwood deck, I didn't have to purchase a new, overpriced harness from Best Buy. This should hold me over for a while, until I can actually get a new 2004 Elantra GT.
    Ok guys my car is freaking me out. Ok I drove home for lunch today and parked my car in the shade for about 45 mins. When I went to start it to go back to work I take about 8 to 10 turns to finally start (it has started on 2 turns easily since I bought it two weeks ago) I then drove to work and noticed that the car was very very sluggish like from a stop it was really dragging no matter how much gas I gave it but the rpm's were going really high. The car had exactly 999 miles on it when I tried to start it so maybe its an omen LOL. Anyone have any ideas?
    On the engine, did the "check engine" light come on? Definitely you want to have the dealer check it out; it could be something relatively minor like bad sensor or something sticking.

Re the weatherstripping, I compared my repair invoice to yours and found that my dealer only replaced one part, 82130-2D000 W/STRIP AS, which I assume is the driver's side front door weatherstripping. Your dealer replaced three other parts, including a cap and a clip. I'm thinking those new parts made a difference. Also they did not replace the passenger side weatherstripping. So I'm going to talk with them about redoing it just as your dealer did.
    no no lights came on and it did not do itwhen I drove home from work. hmmm. I will have to just watch out for it again. Great to hear that my success might help you out :) let me know if it works. If you need more of the invoice let me know or if they need to talk to my dealer email me at ellandry@bellsouth.net
  • michael_lee76michael_lee76 Member Posts: 45
    I have 2002 Elantra GT. Do you think it will work on this model?

and what do u mean by TBS? and what's the part number for the dash kit?

Thanks in advance.
    This installation should work fine for all 2001-2003 Elantra GLS and GT's. The dash layouts are exactly the same. TSB stands for Technical Service Bulletin. Follow this link - http://www.hmaservice.com/webtech/- and click on the TSB tab at the top. Enter your vehical information and look under the "Electrical" category. You should see a section "Kenwood Stereo Installation". All the part number info is described in here. It also includes how to take your dash apart if you want to do your own install. The kit may work for other decks also, but I stuck with Kenwood since the kit already includes a Kenwood smart wiring harness. Good Luck.
  • obsidianblackobsidianblack Member Posts: 35
    We picked up our black obsidian Elantra GLS a month ago and absolutely love it!! Did notice however that there's no front license pate bracket. Thought maybe it was an oversight, but I notice all Elantras are that way. I happen to live in a state that still requires a front plate, so I stopped by the friendly neighborhood NAPA store and purchased a pretty nice front plate bracket. Only reason I got it is that I hate seeing a bent up front plate! Makes the car look shabby! Also, I've had problems before on the rear plate of other vehicles in that the plate rubs the paint off and eventually rust appears. I solved that problem by putting some foam weather stripping on the back of the plate. Presto, no more rubbing!!
    Just thought I'd share those ideas with all of you.
    Guys my new 2003 Elantra GLS did not come with Cruise control and the dealership told me that Hyundai does not offer it anymore. They suggested I go to a local audio video store. I checked with them and they quoted $350 plus tax. Geez I remember when I added to my 95 Galant a few years ago it was $150. Any ideas ?
  • michael_lee76michael_lee76 Member Posts: 45
    Hey. thanks for the info! i have another question though.

How's your stereo working? I installed one from Pioneer(i paid about $300) and i noticed the bass became weak. After mine was stolen, I installed the factory CD player, I could notice the bass was stronger than my 300 dollar stereo system.
    So did you notice that with your new Kenwood stereo? I just wanted to check before I purchase one and regret. :)

Thanks,

===============================================
    This installation should work fine for all 2001-2003 Elantra GLS and GT's. The dash layouts are exactly the same. TSB stands for Technical Service Bulletin. Follow this link - http://www.hmaservice.com/webtech/- and click on the TSB tab at the top. Enter your vehical information and look under the "Electrical" category. You should see a section "Kenwood Stereo Installation". All the part number info is described in here. It also includes how to take your dash apart if you want to do your own install. The kit may work for other decks also, but I stuck with Kenwood since the kit already includes a Kenwood smart wiring harness. Good Luck.
    Cruise control is included in every option package offered on the Elantra. I guess if you got a base car with no options, then no cruise. but I bet it is available from Hyundai.
    Another example of sales staff knowing too little about their cars. Of course cruise is offered! This shows us all why it pays to do lots of reading research from as many sources as possible (including Edmunds, of course).
    actually it was the head of the service center that told me it was no longer offered.