Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Got a Quick, Technical Question?

Comments

• highrollerhighroller Member Posts: 351
    Mr_Shiftright, alright i've been doing alot of revving. I see that there's two styles to it:

1) Rev when at low rpm (for example, i was decreasing in speed on the street and then suddenly did a short burst of acceleration or full-throttle from 1k rpm)
    2)Rev when increasing in speed (for example, pushing down the pedal to reach 3k rpm and then flooring it or full-throttle. This is like gradually increasing in speed and then flooring it to reach 5k rpm, then letting go of the throttle.

Which of these would you think is proper to help seat the rings better? I dont know if one or the other is detrimental to the engine or not.

#1 is quicker to reach the higher rpms like about 1 second, #2 took me about 3 seconds to reach the higher rpms.

My concern is that i've read that it was detrimental to go full-throttle from low rpms and also that its not good to do a long sustained full-throttle.

High :confuse:
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I don't think it matters as long as a) you aren't "lugging" the engine by being in a gear that is too high (that is, 4th when you should be in 2nd) and b) not punching the redline.

What I'm doing on my new car is full throttle bursts between 2000 rpm and about 4,000 rpm. Also trying to do a lot of downhill coasting to create lots of engine vacuum (but be careful not to over-rev on the downhill!).
    Very good. I guess i am okay then. I do alot of uphill bursts. For the downhill, i rev just a little and let go.

High :)
    Yes i did, but just wasn't sure how to properly rev up (when to do the full-throttle). Im just using my D gear to do most of the break-in since my truck has an automatic transmission. Im assuming you will use and vary your gear selections.

I guess i was just a little concerned about how to throttle up the engine for quick bursts, like if i were suppose to either bring my engine up to a certain rpm like your 2k rpm and then quickily flooring it to 4k rpm and quickly releasing throttle OR suddenly flooring it after my foot is off the pedal (when engine was decreasing in speed). I hope im describing it more clearly.

Some people that i've got a chance to speak with, told me not to do full-throttle from a low rpm like not to floor it from 1k rpm. You're suppose to gradually bring up the rpm to let's say 2k rpm and then floor it to 4k rpm and quickly letting it go.

I was doing both but now mostly trying to gradually bring up the rpm to the 1/3 range (1.5k-2k rpm) and then flooring it from there. Hope im doing this right?

High
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    Shifty, do you buy motoman's explanations?
    Are they more than plausible-sounding wishful thinking, I wonder?
    Yeah, they sound very plausible to me and the guy certainly has credentials. he's also done a hell of a lot of testing. I mean, if you screw up an engine rebuild on a modern Japanese motorcycle, you are going to find out REALLY fast.

I'm breaking in the engine exactly as he says and going to synthetic at 3,500 miles. That's my plan and I'm stickin' to it. I can already feel the engine loosening up (in a good way).
    I now have exactly 977 miles and can also feel that my truck is loosening up. I also found my "sweet spot" that is, how to quickly get my speed up to 70-80mph :) . It's fun driving my accord and the truck to get two different "feels":one i guess seated in somewhat and another not yet seated/sealed.

I think seals in the newer engines of today can withstand leaking and synthetic oils better. Well i changed my factory oil to havoline at 400, will do another at 1200 and finally at 3k, i will be switching over to a synthetic. Maybe i will be switching over at 4k instead hahah (since it's between 3k and 5k). If i decide to go 4k, i will do another oil change at 2400 miles instead of 3k.

To avoid excessive friction and wear, i will decrease the number of times to do the quick bursts and decel as miles pile up. I planned to do these break-in methods until 2k-3k (but will occasionally do the quick bursts as mileages goes up). Does this sound about right to you Mr_Shiftright?

• suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    So you think it is real science (physics?), Shifty?
    Have you seen any other independent sources that back him up?

And how can you compare your personal results, when you don't know how your engine would be if it were broken-in using the older, gentler method?

Sounds like a leap of faith is required.
    There's alot of sources that can back motoman's method. Some people break-in their motorcycles and airplanes this way. If you do some research in the internet, you'll find plenty of information about how essential and RIGHTFULLY so to throttle it up hard for the first 1000 miles or so.

For me, i dont know jack squat about engines, i go by credible sources and try to learn how engines work by other people's expertise and advice. I believe the first 100 miles is very critical because the seal is trying to seat and it's using the oil to seat it. There needs to be alot of pressure and lubrication (vacuum as they call it). That's why you can smell the burning of the oil in the first 100 miles. I'll give you an example, ok lets say you want to blow up a balloon, if you don't blow it hard enough and not quickly enough, you'll never get the balloon to be big the way you wanted it to. IF not alot of air is pushed in quickly, air will come back out into your mouth and you'll have a biggo cheek right haha? There are other examples but this is all i can think of right now. Good example huh? I hope im the originator to this analogy :shades: .

My friend who runs a mechanic shop with his dad told me that i'm a fool to break it in hard because it's like hammering the metals very hard inside of the engine. I guess it does require some faith. Running it hard for a few thousand miles seem to fit my beliefs so ill keep doing it.

High
  • aducutlasaducutlas Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking for detailed instruction on how to change the driver side headling on my Honda Accord 2002. :cry: I've got to get it done today.
  • aducutlasaducutlas Member Posts: 2
    Headlight...sorry
    Well I meant "science" in that he experimented...he compared engines broken in "easy" and broken in "hard".

It might not be GREAT science but it seems more than a leap of faith to me...I mean, he's busted down 300 engines and he's got comparison photos with a "control" engine that wasn't broken in with his method.

And I also gave him credit for saying right off the bat that this was a "controversial" topic.

All in all, I felt he was a seeker of truth in the true tradition of pursuing facts to get a conclusion---not like most of these "claimants" who first come up with a conclusion and then seek only those facts that support their conclusion.

Anyway, I'm rolling my dice on this guy...if it's a leap of faith, well so be it, and I'll take the consequences.

It makes perfect sense to me that a new engine should be subjected to both compression and high vacuum stresses.

Another reason this guy appealed to me is that I think race mechanics would probably agree with him. His "slant" on things comes of course from working mainly with very high rpm motorcycle engines----and really, many cars today share that type of engine technology.
    Mr_Shiftright, do you think it is required to adjust valves after 1200 miles or so on new engines? I don't really know all that much about valves or where they are located.

Another, is it better to use higher octane gas vs recommended regular during hard wear-in drivings?

High
    I suppose if you have adjustable valves and they are "ticking" it might be okay to check them but on modern engines this can be a bit of a pain so for 1,200 miles---no I wouldn't mess with the valve adjustment if there's no suspicion that they are out of whack. On cars with adjusters this checkup probably comes at 30K or so.

No, you use the gas the manufacturer recommends. If your car responds to a higher octane by giving slightly better performance or fuel mileage, fine you can use it if you like, but don't think it is doing your engine any "good" or that it's like a doggie treat or something--it's not.
  • jmendoza0116jmendoza0116 Member Posts: 1
    1997 ford taurus. i believe i have a bad speed sensor (the speedometer goes from 5 mph to 70 and back down again while driving -- autozone said faulty speed sensor). where is the sensor? my hanes manuel said to check with ford (they say that for all transmission related things), but i would like to fix it myself if i can. i would appreciate any feedback.
  • alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    Top of transaxle, near right axle shaft.
    This is my last break-in question, i promise.

How many miles should a new engine have before being allowed to go on a long, extended trip to the outer states(thus will have constant rpm and mph)?

• 1racefan1racefan Member Posts: 932
    I have an AWD,'03 Mitsubishi Outlander with 35K miles on it. The rear suspension makes a lot of noise when you hit a speedbump or a depression in the road. It seems to make the noise when the outside temperatures are below 50. The best way to describe the noise would be a significant squeeking noise (such as 2 pieces of styro-foam rubbing together), and it is happening consistently everytime I hit a speedbump or depression in the road - no just once in a while.

I took it to the dealer last month, and they kept it for 4 work days. The said they used the chasis ears, and drove it a lot, but couldn't find anything within the rear suspension itself making noise (although they could hear the noise in general). They did say that they suspect that it had something to do with the gas tank - either the tank itself, or the fuel pump inside the gas tank. They went on to say that they removed the gas tank, and saw that the heat shield was 1" out of position. They repositioned the heat shield, and the noise went away for a few days, then came back.

I am supposed to drop it off with them again next week. I know that noise chasing is often tough, but if anyone has any ideas as to what may be causing this noise I would love to hear it.
    I have the same problem with my front suspension, i thought it was the springs, the struts, upper arm control,replaced camber kits etc. Also, did alot of greasing but never got the noise to go away. My alignment said that my right caster/camber setting was way off(still is)? The noises seem to be noisy whenever i hit very very little bumps and depressions on the road. Sounds like old wooden floors that creaks. That's my story. Still creaks/squeaks today.

High
  • dave8697dave8697 Member Posts: 1,498
    Mustang with V6 '98: has squeaky suspension noises, seem more from front than rear. They mainly occur in parking lot manuevering. Parking lot not very smooth. They can happen up to about 15 mph. Anything to lube for this?
    Mustang also has bad high pitch squeak out of engine that is rpm related. tried listening though heater hose and suspect water pump area. New belt did not cure it. 84,000 miles on car. Sounds like a bearing needs oil. Will run car without belt next to eliminate crankshaft from puzzle.
    Also have '87 Astro with bad vibration from speedometer probably due to cable needing grease. It only makes noise when temperature outside is below freezing. Cable disconnects from transmission easily. Can I pull it out of sleeve at trans end, grease it and get it back in without taking anything apart at the dashboard? Or does it need to be taken apart at the speedometer? For now I have disconnected it at trans, but in first drive into town the CEL came on after 9 miles. It went out after 2 more miles and has stayed off since. Was it related to no speedometer cable rotation?
  • sweetactionsweetaction Member Posts: 1
    Hello Mr. Shiftright. My 2000 Chevy S-10 Ext cab, 2.2 litre, 2wd 5 speed had its 1st major problem at 124,000 original miles. Driving in a hurry in freezing temperature I had it in 3rd at 25 mph and was downshifting to stop after 1\2 mile when the car lurched and clutch popped. Had no problems before this. Now it is stuck in neutral with no pressure in the clutch pedal. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Scott
    "Can I pull it out of sleeve at trans end, grease it and get it back in without taking anything apart at the dashboard?"

No.

"Or does it need to be taken apart at the speedometer?"

Yes.

Reach up behind the instrument cluster, depress the retaining clip, pull the outer cable casing back from the speedo head, and extract the cable.
    Well first thing we want to check is the clutch master and clutch slave cylinder. Check for loss of hydraulic fluid.

Also crawl under the dash and make sure the rod that connects from your clutch pedal to the clutch master cylinder at your firewall didn't fall out, or that the rod operating the clutch fork didn't fall out of the clutch slave.
  • pikedaddypikedaddy Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1996 Jimmy that I am TRYING to replace the starter on. I have removed the 2 bolts but can't figure out how to get the starter out of the AREA it is in. no matter which way I turn it,it won't come out. So right now it is hanging/resting against a cross beam, still connected to the terminals. If you haven't gathered by now... I'm kind of new to all this. PLEASE HELP!
  • chick_mechanicchick_mechanic Member Posts: 2
    About 10 days ago, my car started alright, but upon driving for about 45 minutes, it had trouble when accelerating up a hill.
    After about 35 minutes of no trouble, the car began to lose power. I stopped for about 30 minutes, and began to drive when the car stopped completely.
    The lights come on, and everything else works, but it does turns over but will not engage.
    I am trying to remove the starter (as someone said it might be that or the solenoid) but can anyone give me any ideas as what is wrong? What should I try next? :(
    certainly not the starter. You can stop doing that right now.

First thing I'd do is test to see if you are getting fuel to the engine.
  • cobcob Member Posts: 210
    Just for future reference this is a simple proceedure with a ratchet strap. Put the parking brake on and the car in neutral. Remove the 2 wishbone brackets. Attach the ratchet strap to the hook on the engine side of the wishbone bracket. Attach the other end of the strap under the front bumper if you can find a piece of metal there or to the bracket where the hood release mechanism is located. When you tighten the ratchet strap the engine will roll forward about 2-3 inches giving ample clearance on the back side to change the plugs. This proceedure will also come in handy when your lower intake manifold gaskets start leaking into the engine oil. Only takes a good 10 hours to replace. This engine rotation works for most all GM front drive V6 cars and minivans.
  • way2fast1way2fast1 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 95 acura integra and its currently stock I wanna speed it up but I dont have much money what are some cheap engine upgrades I can put on my car?
  • kkl1kkl1 Member Posts: 16
    I posted 1-2 months ago about the CD/tuner head unit in my automatic 1998 Honda Prelude cutting out intermittently. The car also intermittently hesitated at start-up. The Honda dealer replaced the starter and both problems seemed to resolve. However, both problems have returned. The entire CD/tuner powers off for 3-5 seconds (all lights on its panel turn off), then powers back on. This seems like an electrical problem, but the Honda dealer cannot find a cause. I’ve noticed a few other associations. The head unit does not seem to cut out when the headlights are on, but activating the headlights while the head unit is on elicits an audible click from the unit. I’ve also noticed the head unit cuts out most often when I ease off the throttle. Finally, this may not be related, but when I shut off the engine before turning off the headlights, the latter seem to dim considerably, almost as if they need the full power of the engine for maximum illumination. The battery has also been checked and seems to be fine. Aside from this problem, the Prelude drives and handles very well.

I’d appreciate any thoughts or insights, so I can better direct the mechanics working on this.

Thanks!

Ken
    Hi!

Come join us in theSpeed Shop Forum

MrShiftright
    Host
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    go to an autozone or other commercial auto parts store that will check your battery and alternator under load. sounds like you have a marginal battery or alternator or both. battery's typically last about 4 years if your lucky in extreme conditions. alternators can go at anytime and can fail in some wierd ways... both need to be checked.

also - is your battery and alternator sized propely for a large sink of energy (like a big amp)?

the radio unit is probably very sensitive to fluctuations in voltage, and it seems like the battery isn't supplying a regular voltage and/or filtering the output of the alternator effectively (which also has voltage regulation which may be bad).

i'd also would recommend checking battery terminal connections. make sure they are clean. make sure the battery ground strap is securly connected to the metal frame.

lastly, you could have an intermittent sink to ground or a ckt that is sinking a lot of current.
  • bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    I don't believe I've ever owned a vehicle with power windows where I didn't have a problem with at least one of the windows. I hate them! I now have a '99 Corolla with power windows and I'm having a problem with the driver's window. I hate power windows! I picked up a master window switch off of ebay which I thought at first cured the problem because the window was working fine after I installed it. Today I pulled up to a car wash and put my window down to enter my wash code and the window wouldn't go back up! I hate power windows! There are few things that are more frustrating than an inoperative power window in the middle of winter! Needless to say there was some cussing and swearing going on! I was finally able to get the window closed again by bumping the switch to the up position and letting the window sit for a while and repeating. This whole process took about 10 minutes. Did I mention that I hate power windows?

I'm now assuming that because the new switch didn't fix the problem, the problem is the motor. Power windows are no doubt more convenient than manual windows, but they're much more prone to breaking down, and they're much more expensive to repair when they do break. If I had my druthers, EVERY vehicle I own would have manual windows. Why can't auto makers build reliable power window mechanisms? Does anyone else share this passionate hatred for power windows?
  • slhouseslhouse Member Posts: 1
    I have a '98 olds aurora. My power windows and sun roof won't open. I took the breaker out and replaced it but still no power. I have looked through the owners manual for a fuse but can't locate where one would be. Can anyone help? I love my car and this is a big frustration.
  • costello2costello2 Member Posts: 1
    I had my 89 XJS Coup repainted--I now have water leaks when it rains under the dash on each side--drips on the leg nearest each door (but under the dash). Any suggestions on the most likely cause?
    clogged fresh air vent drain, in the compartment under the windshield wipers.
  • kkl1kkl1 Member Posts: 16
    User777-

Thanks for the tips on my CD/tuner head unit fluctuating. I was concerned that the alternator might be failing, but the dealership shop thought otherwise. They checked the battery and stated it was fine. I'll check the battery connections and ground strap and have the alternator checked. Thanks again!

Ken
  • 1hipmom1hipmom Member Posts: 2
    I have a 99 Nissan Quest (automatic) which has been pretty much a driveway ornament for the past few weeks as I cannot get the key to turn in the ignition. The key goes in and out of the ignition cylinder just fine - it just won't turn. I have tried the following:

1)removing the key from the keychain (working on the keychain is too heavy theory). RESULT=nada

2)jiggling the key and turning the steering wheel as I tried to turn the key in the ignition. RESULT=worse than nada; all this did was lock the steering wheel, and now I cannot unlock it!

3)checked the shift lever to be sure I was in park (the shift lever is on the steering column). RESULT=nada again, and I should note that I cannot move the shift lever at all.

4)bought graphite powder and graphite spray, sprayed into ignition cylinder, on key, all over self, etc. RESULT=key still will not turn, out of pocket $5, hands are covered in black stain and have black smudges on face from rubbing forehead trying to figure out what to try next. feel minor headache coming on.

5)drove to autoparts store with black stained hands and face and bought Haynes manual and 'universal ignition cylinder assembly' thinking maybe I could just replace the ignition cylinder. RESULT=customers at autostore look at me strangely and guy behind counter who sold me graphite stuff tries hard to stifle laughter.

Tortured into thinking relief is in sight since Haynes manual makes changing ignition cylinder look very easy, until I get to the part where it says that I have to turn the key to the ON position in order to slide the cylinder out. Headache is getting worse. Out of pocket another $30.

I should add that this vehicle has been cursed since day one, but mostly with electrical type gremlins. You can imagine how thrilled I am to have a new challenge...

While here in Vermont it is fairly common to have at least one if not several non-functioning vehicles in one's front yard, I would prefer to use this piece o junk to get to work as originally intended. Any suggestions on what to try next would be most appreciated.
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    FWIW: is the wheel locked? did you try unlocking the wheel by turning it to one extent and holding it, and back to the other? (consult manual)

does nissan provide a little access point (top of the steering column) for inserting the key to manually release the interlock? hondas have this feature. some other makes may also. (consult manual)

have you tried pumping the brakes a few times?
    There were two times i had to suddenly brake really hard (all the way to the floor) on my 06 truck with now 1400 miles due to a car stopping right in front on the street and due to skidding-almost went in a ditch :sick: . During those two violently, hard braking, i heard some graunching or more like "crushhing" noises. I have 4-wheel Bosch disc brakes with abs.

Could this be normal and that the abs is just doing its job or could it be something worse like warped rotors etc.?

This only happens during very very hard braking. Now, when i brake normaly, everything seems to be fine (like no vibration on the steering or any noises from moderate braking).

Any ideas? Thanks.

High
  • thor6thor6 Member Posts: 2
    I mistakenly put diesel fuel in a petrol car, please advise how i can fix the problem.
    How *much* diesel fuel?

Generally, if you're lucky, just drain it all out, flush the tank with gas, change the fuel filter or filters, start 'er up and drive the hell out of it. It may smoke a bit and run very very rough but should clear up in a couple of minutes.

not sure your catalytic converter is going to like it, but hopefully you didn't try to drive too far on diesel fuel/gas fuel mix.
    Relax. You're hearing the ABS system working.
    I figured that the ABS was doing its job. Since this is the first car with ABS that i've owned, i have no clue what the noises were when braking hard. Thanks again.

High
  • jasmicjasmic Member Posts: 1
    i have a 1991 honda civic the rear drakes lock up all the time and the pedal was to the floor at first i changed the master and its alittle higher and i changed the block where the lines go into . and it still isnt any better if someone has run into this problem before please reply it would be very thankful .....
  • siraaron74siraaron74 Member Posts: 1
    Is there anyone that has bothered to convert the rear anti lock brakes on a GMC or chevy truck to standard? I own a 1990 chevy 3/4 ton with 6 lug wheels. I heard that this ABS system for the rear can fail, when the EH valve malfunctions, causing a loss of all brakes. I would like to remove the rear ABS system and need to know cost and where to get the parts? They started putting these on 1988 to 1995 trucks, so i figured i could use the brake parts off of 1987 and older trucks? Does this make sense? Need any and all advice.
    "Does this make sense?"

No. First, the RWAL system controls rear brakes only and the worst that could happen in the event of a failure is a loss of rear brakes and a low brake pedal. The front brake hydraulic system is not routed through the valve. Look for yourself by tracing the plumbing from the master cylinder. It's primary and secondary lines both go to the combination valve. From there the rear line goes to the ABS valve and out to the rear brakes, but the front lines go directly to the front calipers.

http://www.autozone.com/images/cds/gif/large/0900823d800884a1.gif

Second, a loss of rear brakes due to an ABS pressure valve failure is almost always due to a lack of maintenance on the vehicle. If contaminants prevent the dump valve from closing, rear brake pressure will leak past the valve and enter the accumulator, resulting in no pressure to the wheel cylinders. The appropriate proactive approach would be to flush the brake hydraulic system every 2 years to remove the moisture contaminated fluid, which causes internal corrosion of hydraulic system components, and any suspended particles (which should be done on any vehicle anyway, regardless of whether it has ABS or not), not to remove the ABS pressure valve because it "might" fail.
  • bassmaster_80bassmaster_80 Member Posts: 1
    I checked timing on a 76 ford f100 302. the timing light didn't work like it was suppose to, so i checked it on another vehicle and it worked fine. It seemed to skip on the #1 plug. I switched 2 plugs around and still had the same problem. I replaced all the wires,plugs, cap,button and the distributor too. there is spark going to the distributor,but not to the plug. Could it be that the coil is not sending enough voltage to the distributor? Do you think it is the coil? Anything will help. i didn't have my volt meter with me but had a test light. when i checked the wire that goes to the coil, it was bright,but when i put it back on the coil it was dim.
  • jsiricojsirico Member Posts: 2
    Sometimes when I put on the left turn signal, the flashers come on. It's intermittent. Can't find a problem. Any ideas? I replaced all bulbs a few months before this started as they had begun to burn out.