Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Hyundai Elantra

Comments

• prosource1prosource1 Member Posts: 234
    I rent a vehicle each weekend and rec'd an Elantra GLS(with a sunroof)this weekend. This car has 7k miles on it. This is good as I am considering the purchase of one for its price and fuel efficiency. Here is my impression and the fuel mileage thus far:

Likes: exterior and interior styling, fuel mileage!!, roomy, lots of equipment, smooth ride, good power, good highway cruising(be careful), ergonomics, great braking, good handling, good sound system with CD player, night gauge cluster illumination, feels very well built.

Dislikes: seat cushion length for tall drivers, Radio receiver sound quality, no auto up feature on drivers window(has auto down), no drivers lumbar support!?

Here is the clincher. We used this car for our business this weekend and with temps over 90degrees, had to sit in car with air on for lengthy periods while waiting for our staff. On our first tank of gas we did only city driving, with long periods of sitting and still received almost 25 mpg! I then filled up and took a 120 mile trip with speeds of 70-85+ mph, air conditioning on and filled up on return. I received 33.5 mpg! This is probably the car we'll buy for another vehicle in our family fleet. I feel this car rec'd very impressive mileage considering this engine has very good power. On the highway, this car will easily creep up to 80-90 mph and yet will still get 33.5 for the trip?! It also feels very well put together and rigid with smooth ride. I am very impressed with this car and so is my wife. Keep in mind, with rebates, this car can be purchased for abut $15k.
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,328
    no auto up feature on drivers window(has auto down),

I wouldn't call that a negative I think of it more of a safety issue.

On the highway, this car will easily creep up to 80-90 mph and yet will still get 33.5 for the trip?

I doubt it you should start seeing a drop in mileage ate around 65-70. Secondly I would not stay above 80-85 in an Elantra for to long.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Yes, fuel economy will take a big dip over 60 +/-. But re going over 80-85 in an Elantra, I took a '07 GLS into that territory recently while trying to catch a plane :blush: , and I was pleasantly surprised at how stable and quiet (AT) the car felt at that speed, as if it wasn't even breathing hard. Much more stable at that speed than the Gen 3 Elantra.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    speeds, well they are higher to me, anyway. At 80-85mph our '08 Mitsubishi Lancer barely makes any highway "rushing" noises from underneath, engine and tire noise departments, or from the tip-tops of the windows, etc. I am very impressed with this new Lancer.

I mention it because I do watch this thread regarding the new Elantra and it sounds like it cruises pretty quietly down the highway at higher speeds, too. Don't stay there very long or you'll get ticketed and you'll start paying more at the pump. Gas mileage really takes a hit over 65mph.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• joe131joe131 Member Posts: 998
    Prosource1 is not taking much of a hit it seems when he drives an Elantra over 65:
    "...trip with speeds of 70-85+ mph, air conditioning on and filled up on return. I received 33.5 mpg!"

That's the kind of big hit I like!
    How many MPG do you think he'd get under 65 mph? Maybe 40 MPG?
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    halt. I seriously doubt that prosource1 will get mileage returns of 30mpg when he drives at 80-90mph for a while. That might go on for a chunk of miles but take a 100-mile trip with those speeds and I bet you'll be looking at something more like 26-28mpg tops, probably more like 22-24mpg, depending on driving styles and conditions at the time. Eh?

However, at 60-75 mph that's an entirely different story. Our engines are similar-the new "world" 4 cylinder engines from DCX-Hyundai-Mitsubishi and I have noticed pretty good returns at 60-80mph-in the 30-32mpg area for our '08 Lancer GTS. So I think that 35mpg is very attainable on the highway at those speeds. More so when the motors are broken in with more mileage on them.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

Yes, I think 40 mpg is doable on the '07 Elantra. I used to top 40 under ideal conditions with my '01 Elantra 5-speed, and can get upper 30s on my '04 GT with AT under ideal conditions (i.e. cruising at around 55-60 mph, little headwind, no A/C, moderate temps). The '07 is rated about 4 mpg higher than the '04 AT, and 3 mpg higher than the '01 5-speed, so 40 mpg seems reachable after break-in.
  • w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    joe131 - I beg to differ with you. I had a 1979 Ford Fairmont wagon and the entire tailgate was hinged at the top. Most current station wagons today are designed that way. The type of station wagon you are describing was certainly true earlier - 50s and 60s, and earlier - and, also later with the behemoth full-size-car-based Ford, GM, and Chrysler station wagons. The bottom half either opened down, or sideways.

One of the most functional station wagons ever conceived was the Volvo 145, 245, DL, GL - again, with the tailgate hinged at the top. A hatchback they were not!

Do you want rattles and possible leaks? - if so, use the two-piece design that old station wagons used. When I was younger my dad - a Ford man - had a 1957 Ford wagon, and later, a 1960 Ford wagon. In the '57, the rear glass moved up and down into the lower hinged section, and in the '60, the rear glass was hinged at the top, and the lower section at the bottom. Both designs rattled like crazy, and water leaks were prevalent.

The split design is effectively American, whereas the one-piece design is European. Either, however, are true station wagons.
  • w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    Backy - the earlier generation Elantra built after July 1, 2006 also received the new head, and belt tensioner, design of the 2007 Elantra. In other words, those who waited until the last moment to buy a 2006 Elantra got many of the engine design tweaks of the new Elantra. Thus, the last production run of the earlier generation Elantra can also attain improved fuel economy.
  • joe131joe131 Member Posts: 998
    You don't have to beg; all differing opinions are welcome anytime.
    It's ok with me if you and the manufacturers call those hatchback autos station wagons. For the time being, a car with a top opening hatch in the back is, to me, a hatchback. Maybe someday I'll agree to call them hatchback modified station wagons.
    Doesn't really make any difference, does it? Either way, the sun will probably come up again tomorrow, right?
    I think there were tranny (AT) tweaks for '07 also--did the late 2006 Elantras get those also? Did the EPA ratings of those late 2006 Elantras change any?
  • harlqnharlqn Member Posts: 18
    At a consistent 60-65 MPH, I get about 28/29mpg. The car has 4,000 miles so far. Starting from a reset MPG computer on a full tank, I was able to get it to just over 41 by managing a consistent 45-50 mph for almost 4 miles. Overall it looks like the sweet spot on this car (07 AT) is 55-60mph - no real shocker there.

Stop and go traffic over a tank's distance robs about 4mpg where a consistent use of speeds over 70/75 sees about a 2mpg drop. But since reading backy's post, it is impressive how quiet and smooth this car is at those speeds (about 80mph @ 3000 rpm). And if I get a decent running start up hills on the freeway (San Diego), it doesn't strain and happily stays in 4th down to about 60-65mph uphill.
  • mickeyrommickeyrom Member Posts: 936
    harlqn....Your MPG surprises me.maybe its because it is brand new.Also the computer might be off.I never get less than 30 MPG and as high as 36 on my KIA Optima.That is actual mileage.Dividing miles by gallons.I drive legal limits.Usually 65, and 70 in Indiana.My car is rated 34 highway, and 24 city.Yours is 36 hwy..not sure city.I only wish I lost only 4 MPGs in city driving.I actually lose about 16. :cry:
  • svec7186svec7186 Member Posts: 56
    does the elantra have drl and if i turn the light on and forget to turn them off, is there an auto off feature?
    It doesn't have DRL per se in the U.S., but it does have auto on/off headlamps. So if you leave the lights on, turn the engine off and exit the car, the lights will shut off automatically. And they will come on again when you start the car.
    I checked the EPA adjusted ratings (applying the 2008 scheme to the 2007 numbers) and it's right in there. The mpg has slightly increased as the engine wears in. My typical use:

Commute 14.5 miles, 11 of which is highway
    The 3.5 miles of surface roads have no traffic to speak of, just lights. The highway can either be 90% distance at normal speed or 25-30% normal speed, depending on when I'm traveling.

Also, being in San Diego, there's really no such thing as a flat stretch of highway until you get out into the desert.

Also, my previous numbers were a little off, it's 86 @ 3000rpm and 80 @ 2700rpm. Does that match up to what others are seeing in a 2007 AT (speedo problem)?
    Just don't pull a boneheaded move (I'll take the 5th) and turn the lights on after taking the key out. :blush: Doh!!
    Is that all the lights or just the headlights? I know in my wagon the headlights go off but the parking lights stay on.

Interesting. On the Gen 3 and 4 Elantras, the parking lights go off too when the key is removed from the ignition.
    Assuming the lights are on when driving...

Turn off the ignition... headlights off, parking lights on

Open the driver's door (not sure about other doors)... parking lights now off too.

Also, I'm pretty sure the parking lights are on even if you remove the key without opening the door.

None of these lights come back on unless you either:
    - Turn the switch off then back on
    OR
    - re-insert the key and start the car (or when you turn the key to the accessory position, I'm not sure which)

There may also be a time period starting when the ignition is turned off after which the lights go off automatically, but I don't usually hang around in the car that long.
    Ok, I have a 2nd gen Elantra and when you turn off the engine the headlights go off and the parking lights stay on. Remove the key and open the door the parking lights stay on and you have a chime sounding to warn you that the lights are still on.

• patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    The recent posts about fuel economy have been moved to the Real World MPG discussion. Let's continue here: harlqn, "Hyundai Elantra Real World MPG" #176, 7 Jun 2007 1:54 pm.
  • jcallahan85jcallahan85 Member Posts: 1
    Just wondering if the '07 Elantras have the same alarm as the previous models? Its the one with the stupid "Chirp".

Thanks!
  • nthenthe Member Posts: 414
    no, the alarm is just a normal horn sound.
  • nanotubenanotube Member Posts: 30
    Just got a GLS yesterday. Has anyone noticed that the AC fan speed dial only has 1~4 but no ZERO? Here after a day under hot sun it was only blowing warm air and seems like only way to turn it off was to manually close all vent outlets. Did Hyundai design engineers overlook this?
  • percussionistpercussionist Member Posts: 204
    Turn the selector dial to the off position, not the fan. The selector is the one the directs airflow to different areas, and the selection that points straight up is "off".

You'll see it - there are only three dials there.

I would, however, look into why your AC is blowing warm air even on a hot day. I have an '07 Limited with Black Leather, and the AC always cranks out cold (just for reference, it was in the upper 90's here the past two days)
  • nanotubenanotube Member Posts: 30
    Ha! There it is. This is a bit unconventional is it? Thanks percussionist.

Here the outside is 75 degrees and I usually just roll down the windows instead of turning on the AC. That's why I want to shut the fan off. Under the hot sun even with Max AC it blows warm air in the first 5~10 minutes.
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    NEW EQUIPMENT HIGHLIGHTS FOR 2008
    · Electronic Stability Control now standard on SE trim
    · Brake Assist added to standard ABS system for SE model
    · Tire Pressure Monitoring System standard on all models
    · Elantra SE Premium + Leather Package replaces Elantra Limited

More: http://www.hyundainews.com/Media_Kits/2008_Models/Elantra/Press_Release.asp

Limited trim deletion is a logic move.
    Great add of ESC and BA. Too bad they're not on the GLS also, but at least they're standard on the SE. I wonder how much the price of the SE will go up to cover the added equipment?

Now if the Elantra can do well on the IIHS side crash test, it could lay claim to the "safest car in its class" label.

FWIW, this leaves the Accent as the only U.S. Hyundai without standard ESC on at least one trim line (and for all but the Elantra and Tiburon, it's on all trim lines).
  • herotakesafallherotakesafall Member Posts: 103
    I read that about the ESC in my new Motor Trend and about fell off my seat. Very happy to see this. Although, I prefer hatch functionality, so I suppose I'll be waiting for that "Elantra" Wagon next year.
  • herotakesafallherotakesafall Member Posts: 103
    By the way, does anyone know anything more about the new Elantra Wagon? Like, do we have any interior shots of the i30 yet? And I know this is a dumb question, but it's not based off of the new Elantra platform, right? I heard it's kind of a sister car to the Kia Cee'd, but I didn't know if that was a Kia-specific platform or not.

In short, I don't know a lot of things. :blush:
    My guess is that it will be based off of the new Elantra platform.

Still loving my Elantra Wagon hope this one is just as good.

There were some interior pics posted earlier (here?) showing the dash, which looked exactly like the sedan's dash but with auto climate control (it was a pic from a foreign-market wagon).
  • samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    2008 Model will not add an MP3 player/changer? Interesting. Very intersting to me, to have a 2008 model with a dated stereo system which only reads CD, not mp3. Does it have at least an AUX input?
    Per the Hyundai press release that joe97 posted, the 2008 model has an CD/MP3 player with aux input (standard on SE, optional on GLS). Maybe Hyundai found CD changers are not as popular now with folks using iPods, MP3s etc.?
  • moontommoontom Member Posts: 28
    OK, it's a strange comparison...but it's what I'm down to. I'm a tall driver looking for good mileage, Stability control, and a decent (not too noisy) car/wagon...narrowed it down to these two -- drove the Elantra a week ago as a rental and was blown away. fit me well, wasn't nearly as close to the ground as a civic. I found it very spacious and open, fairly responsive engine and the mileage was right at the new epa numbers (automatic)

drove the 2008 matrix and learned that toyota does offer stability on the matrix (not the corolla), it's just really hard to find (possibly special order). like that car too. I've owned toyotas in the past and was also surprised by this car -- it's much tighter and quieter than the 2003 version. mileage looks about the same as elantra.

any insights, other cars to check, etc? I'm not hung up on hatchback or sedan body types. it's whatever works....

thanks in advance...happy motoring etc....
    Since this is an Elantra discussion, you might want to post your question in a comparison discussion such as the Economy Cars one ==> http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.ef985e1/785

ESC is pretty rare in lower-priced cars, but others that offer it are the new xB (standard), xD (optional), Rabbit and Jetta (optional), Mazda3s (optional), and most mid-sized cars. In fact you might want to check the Sonata--a great value (esp. the 2007 models with larger rebates than on the Elantra), standard ESC, and FE is not too bad with the I4. Price for the 2007 GLS is not much more than for the Elantra, after rebates and discounts.

P.S. VSC is available on the Corolla, but hard to find.
  • tnel332tnel332 Member Posts: 23
    Is there any difference between the SE/w XM and the GLS/XM w/package#3. Sounds pretty much the same except the tire size...which leads to my second question....
    Is there any difference between 15 inch tires and 16 inch tires as far as performance, mileage, etc?
    Thanks...its difficult to find an SE anymore..
    Tom
  • nthenthe Member Posts: 414
    the se also has steering wheel audio controls, a leather wrapped steering wheel, and a trip computer. in some parts of the country, its always been difficult to find se's
    I've driven both the GLS and SE, but not back-to-back. Typically the tires with the narrower sidewalls will ride more firmly, but I didn't notice a big difference (but again, this was not back-to-back). I thought the GLS handled just fine in city and highway driving; I didn't take it through any mountain passes. What I recommend you do is ask the dealer to drive both back-to-back, over the same course. Make sure the course has some bumps/rough roads, and curves.

Another big difference (for me) between the GLS and SE is that the SE has a telescopic wheel, so it's easier to find a good driving position. And for 2008 there's an even bigger difference: the SE has electronic stability control, brake assist, and traction control standard; they are not available on the GLS. I think these are valuable safety features.
  • cyberfybercyberfyber Member Posts: 14
    I think I may already know the answer to this but I figure I'd ask anyhow.

My old car Suzuki Sidekick used to do okay going up WhiteFace Mountain in Wilmington, NY. Slow but it always made it. :-)

But now I've got my 2007 Elantra and planning on heading back up to the area. I was thinking of how I might have to rent a hardier vehicle up there.

Anyone have experiences with driving up mountains in their Elantra? This would be the Veterans Memorial Highway which is about 8 miles up with a serious incline (the degree of which I don't know).
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Believe it or not - I took an Elantra up to a Scout Camp in the high mountains of Utah once - it had been raining for a month, and the road (and I use that term loosely) was just mud for several inches. Nearly every vehicle up there was challenged, including mine, but we made it without any help. The little Elantra is tough. Isn't the fastest, but it'll get you there without embarrassing you. It's toughm, like the old Explorers were. I wouldn't be afraid to try it, is what I'm saying. If you feel the performance isn't good enough - then you can rent one.
  • cyberfybercyberfyber Member Posts: 14
    Thanks Howard for sharing your experience.

I was kinda figuring it would be okay considering how much more horsepower the Elantra has over my really old Suzuki. I guess I'm just being a bit careful with this car being so brand new and all. :-)
    Anyone have experiences with driving up mountains in their Elantra?

I have not had any issues going up steep inclines with my 2000 Elantra wagon. You should be ok.

Just saw the October Consumer Reports and noticed the Elantra GLS took the top spot in a comparo with the Scion xB, Lancer ES, and Sentra 2.0S. That was the ranking order. A good showing for the Elantra, but I think it would have done better had they tested the SE instead of the GLS. I explain why and make other musings about the review here:

backy, "Economy Sedans (~$16k-$20k)" #820, 1 Sep 2007 4:00 pm
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    When is the i30 going on sale in the US?
    Reports are next spring, as the Elantra Touring.
  • inharmswayinharmsway Member Posts: 153
    Could somebody who has a 2007 or 2008 Elantra please look in the owners manual, and tell me what the trailer towing capacity in pounds is for the Elantra.

Thanks,
    Niels
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    You're kidding, right?
  • inharmswayinharmsway Member Posts: 153
    No I am not. We have a 2004 Elantra and it is rated for 1874 lbs. towing capacity. My son has a 2005 and the owners manual says 2000 lbs. We tow a small camping trailer with ours.

Niels
This discussion has been closed.