Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Auto Show Season

odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
edited January 2014 in General
The Auto Show season is starting to ramp up for the next year.

Dates for the Philly Auto Show are Jan 19th through Jan 27th.

Dates for the Pennsylvania Auto Show are Jan 24th through Jan 27th.

Dates for the North American International Auto Show - Detroit are Jan 19th through Jan 27th (for public).

Feel free to add any other dates your want. I'm going to be headed to the Philly show since it is the one I always go to. See you at the show if you go.

Odie

Comments

• odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    We are headed to the Philly show on January 21st. If anyone else is headed this day also give a shout.

Odie
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "The Los Angeles Auto Show, the auto show for the state where 11% of all U.S. retail auto sales occur, opens for the media on Wednesday and for the public on Friday. At the show, which provides a look at the industry from California's viewpoint, some 50 vehicles will make their global or North American debuts. The emphasis will be on green cars, imports and luxury cars.

As far as electric vehicles and hybrids, "California is big in the green market," Caldwell said. "If there is a green movement, it usually starts in California."

For the Auto Industry, California Already Has Seceded (The Street)
    Too bad about the Matrix; then again, I didn't even think they were still making it since NUMNI closed.
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    I think the NUMMI plant now makes the Tesla.
    Heard a tiny rumor that a Ford Falcon or Ute version may be unveiled at the Detroit show this year. Anyone hear anything? I know that ford is looking to bring the Australian Ford Ranger over here as the new F-100. Could the Falcon Ute also be coming too?

Odie
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,513
    philly is early this year I think. Used to be a week later.

we will definitely be going, but probably not until the 2nd weekend (likely the 26th) since I think we will be away the first weekend.

taking a risk though, since we did that last year and on the last day my wife was sick, and I thought I was coming down with the same stomach virus so did the show in record time!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

just looked at a preview of that from Oz, and it looks really neat. I can't understand why they would have it everywhere but here. It can't be that close in size to the F150 is it?

from what I've seen it looks to be about the size of the outgoing Colorado and Dakota size. A bit bigger than the previous Ranger and smaller than the current base model F-150. There has been alot of rumor going around about a F-100 and I've heard alot more from friends who live in Detroit.

Odie
    "No matter what boldly conceived concept vehicles or irresistible new cars and trucks are displayed at the 2013 North American International Auto Show, the 2014 Chevrolet Corvette rules over them."

Corvette will hog the spotlight at Detroit auto show (Detroit News)
    "But for all the gleaming metal, most models won't be new to fans. Corvette lovers have been salivating over drawings posted on the Web. Spy cameras snapped an Acura MDX last fall, months before its official debut in Detroit. Mercedes has already released photos of its E-Class coupe and convertible.

But even with all those spoilers, visitors keep flocking to Detroit and other auto shows. They want to touch the cars, check out the trunk space or just hop in."

Why attend car shows when photos are a swipe away? (adn.com)
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    Anybody planning on attending the Philadelphia Auto Show which starts on Saturday, January 19th?
    I am. 3 days baby. My son even stayed home an extra day (on college break) so he can go on Saturday too. he is a senior, and is now fixated on getting a car when he graduates. I am using that as the carrot (if not the stick) for getting him to spend time on the job search now!

Well, imagine we were talking about the tease of the Toyota concept in Detroit. :)

A reporter is looking for a subcompact car owner or shopper to weigh in on what kind of impact a sleeker design, like the "Furia" concept released in Detroit, would have on their purchase decision. If you own or are looking for a subcompact car, and think a sleeker design would impact which car you buy, please send your daytime contact info to pr@edmunds.com no later than Monday, January 21, 2013 at 4 p.m. PT/7 p.m. ET.
    just got back from the philly show. Good time. lots of people, but not overly crowded, and rarely had to wait long to get into any car. Saw the new stuff that I had not seen in the flesh before. And my wife has a lot of new bags to use at the supermarket (the companies have really stepped up on the quality of the give away fabric bags).

legs are tired from the walking (we also took the train in ans walked around town a bit). But did get to go for cheesteaks and beer at Oscars on Sansom. Have not been there in ages, but it has not changed a bit. Great steak and fantastic onion rings. In case anyone goes in and gets hungry!

We are headed down on Monday. We are leaving the Hershey area around 8am and stopping at Nifty Fifty's in Ridley for breakfast. After spending the day at the show we are then going to hit up DiCostanza's for hoagies before heading back.

Nifty Fifty's

DiCostanza's (Foursquare)

Odie
    edited January 2013
    Courtesy of Chevy while supplies last - have to pick them up at dealers in the Chicagoland area after getting a certificate online. They want your life story though.

ChevyDrivesChicago.com
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,745
    In a departure from what I usually talk about with my weekly radio show I'll be having a guest come in who is one of the directors for Pittsburgh's yearly auto show. Traditionally when involved in any of the local auto shows the last thing that they want to talk about is what it takes to (or is going to take to) service and repair the next generation of cars. Meanwhile, that's all I'm ever really focused on so I need some input on exactly what topics should be brought up. The hour long show that I do typically can have six phone calls, and they will take care of themselves, that can leave some twenty minutes for host conversation.

If you were in my place, what are the questions that you would like to ask? Keep in mind that at this moment I'm not sure the guest will be aligned with any one manufacturer. That's something I need to check on this week, I'm inclined to expect that he is not going to be manufacturer specific. If there are some topics here in Edmunds that might make for good subject matter, how about a link?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    February 20-24

I'm going, but not sure what day, yet.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• carthellcarthell Member Posts: 130
    It figures, I discover the 2013 auto show thread after posting a barely-relevant note elsewhere. Argh!

Mazda is offering $300 off its 2013 products for anyone who went to the Washington DC show. Details are available at the dealers, the signs said. Unfortunately, none of the dealers in the DC area has posted any information about how the discount would be honored.

Did anyone see a Mitsubishi display up? To me, not having a presence at an auto show isn't a good sign of confidence by either the brand's dealers or manufacturer.

$7 hot dogs! $7 smoothies! Although the serving size was certainly large enough to satisfy hunger (the hot dogs were at least 2 times longer than your average supermarket offering), I decided to wait until I left the venue before I ate. Consider that $10 wasn't enough to get a hot dog and a bottled drink of any size.

The basement of the convention center was interesting. No, you could not touch the Bentleys (who ever can at shows like this?), but you could take cool pictures around the Jaguars. FIAT had a driving course, and there were plenty of people taking advantage of that.

My brother's daughter spent time crashing radio-controlled cars with others on a small track. It was funny seeing ten kids attempt to coordinate their steering efforts with the cars. Flags were given out for first, second, and third place; but with everyone constantly crashing into each other, I could not figure out how the track staff worked out who did what. Unless they didn't. A few web cam displays would have helped, I believe.

My favorite wagon? The Audi allroad. My next favorite? The Subaru Outback. The CTS, C-max, and Prius v wagons get an honorable mention. The most likely wagon that I'll be able to take home is a toss-up between the Mazda 5 and the Scion xB.
    "Techno Classica, which celebrated its 25th anniversary this year, combines dealer exhibits with car-club displays and a classic-car auction by Coys, along with hundreds of vendors selling new and used parts, accessories, clothing, die-cast model cars, literature and manuals.

Techno Classica may be the closest thing the classic car world has to an all-encompassing trade show. Consider the numbers: 2,500 cars on display, 234 participating clubs, 1,250 vendors and 1.3 million square feet of display space. Nearly 200,000 people attended over five days in mid-April."

The Biggest Car Show You May Never Have Heard Of (New York Times)
    My brother was in a fender bender up in Vermont so they are stuck with a rental Fiat while getting their Odyssey worked on. Today they wandered into an auto show - turns out that Bennington is home of Hemmings Motor News and the Eastern Division National Spring Meet started today.
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    Anubody planning on attending the Carlisle Ford Nationals this weekend? I'll be there with my Grand Marquis.
    Don't really see much press about "mundane" cars, but if you like Bimmers and Ferraris, stay tuned. Bunch of fast car pics are coming out on the Twitter feeds.

2013 Frankfurt Auto Show
    It looks like the Show season is shortly coming to a slow halt in North America. So what has been everyones takes from this year? Since the shows have past has anything changed for you that you are now looking forward to next years ('14) shows?I know personally for me I have a finallized list of 9 vehicles I am going to be checking out at the '14 Philly Auto Show as potential replacements for my current ride. (unless a major event or huge deal happens beforehand.) If anyone hears of any major auto show news (unveilings, releases, bombshells) drop the news here or on the soon to be made '14 Auto Show thread.

Odie
    Don't forget about the LA Auto Show cranking up 11/22.

Edmunds' coverage is here.