Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo C70

Comments

• arbabcarbabc Posts: 36
    I own a '01 XC. I has 300 miles on it now. When do you think I should change the oil? And filter? What do I need, and is it pretty straight forward? Thanks.
  • tmarttmart Spring, TXPosts: 1,012
    What do you need? You need to read your service manual and do it when it says to! As info, this is the C70 board, NOT the Cross Country. Tmart
    Well, it finally came on. It's not the gas cap, I've triple checked it. I've got about 1.5k miles to go until the next service, at 22.5k. When I called the Service Manager, he said, since I was having no other performance problems, I could just wait until the next service if I didn't mind the light, or I could bring it in now. Would appreciate your experiences, and are there any problems in waiting, or should the C70 be taken in now? Thanks, Tmart
  • Still have not had any problems with the check engine light (since our one issue back in early 1999) on our C70, but we just did the 30k service a little early (at 28.5k) when the battery failed last month. We also theorized we would be ready for the "cooler" weather. I'm not sure I would be comfortable driving with the light on for fear of doing more harm than good. For instance, if a sensor is off and therefore changes the fuel mixture or timing. Too much unburned gas will destroy parts of the emissions system or even other sensors. Likewise if the sensor is picking up a knock or ping. Since you should be able to get a loaner, I'd go ahead and make an appointment and get it in. Whether or not to get the 22.5k service at the same time is just a question of convenience. Unless your last service was fairly recent, I'd probably go ahead and get the oil changed a little early anyway as we shift away from the excessively hot summer.
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Posts: 2,405
    Hi all,
    I don't personally own a C70, but my girlfriend's aunt does and we are housesitting for them. Here's the problem (I wasn't there so I don't have all the details):
    My g/f went to start up their 1999 C70 this morning. Apparently the check engine light came on and the dashboard lights kept on going on and off. I think she also said that there was a strong gas odour.
    Is this problem the same as described in previous posts (about not turning the cap tight enough)? I hope that's all it is.

BTW, I've driven the car before. Very nice car...too bad it's an automatic though. I just can't get over how bad the rear/side vision is b/c of the convertible top!

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

Protege_fan
    Protege, the gas cap not properly on can cause the engine light to come on, but the flashing dash lights sound like something else. I'd take it to the dealer to have it checked out. In my case, other than the light being on, the car runs fine, no ping, hestiation, no decrease in gas mileage, no odors. You're right about the visibility to the rear and side, but it's easily fixed by dropping the top. My motto is "no rain, no top"! Tmart
    Llo. A little tough to drop the top in -35 C winter weather!!

BTW, my g/f says as the car was idle on the car, the rpm's were going up and down and the dash lights were dimming and brightening in sync w/ the idle going up and down. I asked about the gas cap, but she's not sure because they filled it before she got out to their place.
    Any different ideas now?
    Thanks all.

Pro_fan
    Well, I tightened the gas cap as per the advice found here. That seems to have fixed it! Perhaps there was too much air getting into the tank, thereby causing the unusual idle.
    She thinks the dash lights flickering on and off was due to somebody leaving the lights on inside, draining the battery.
    Anyway, thanks for the advice all. Much appreciated.

Protege_fan
  • schuhcschuhc Posts: 333
    Darn!
    After reading Prot_Fan I was all set to ask him how close he was to 'Devil's Tower' given the flashing and revving.

BTW - Yes, I realize he is rather far given the fact that it sounds like he is closer to Ostrov Kolguev.
    Just a mini-update, my g/f took the car to the dealership for service because her Aunt said it wasn't doing the revving before. I'll let you all know what happened as soon as we find out.
    Don't worry...I lurk on many boards here at Edmund's....

Pro_fan
    Just a reference to "Close Encounters". I would suspect that the dealership would state that the revving was due to the gas cap and any vaccum that is supposed to be created by having it on properly.
    Hey all. The car has been fixed (at no-charge b/c it's still under warranty).
    Here is what they did:
    1) Check Engine/Lambda Light on
    -Oxygen sensor replace
    -Heated Oxygen Sens
    -Gasket
    -Engine Control module fault tracing
    -Diagnostic Trouble Code (B)
    2) Check Engine light on again, after car sits o/night tech 60 just install amm for same problem
    -Variable Valve Timing Solenoid replace
    -Solenoid
    -Engine Control module fault tracing
    -Diagnostic Trouble Code (B)
    3) Rough Idle cold - dash lights dim and brighten w/ engine rpm
    -Diagnostic trouble codes (DTCS) reading/resetting VST/VCT (B)
    -Software control module downloading (B)
    -Upgrade ECM BP

That's it. I'm not overly car-knowledgeable, so I'm not sure why they did some things, like replacing the solenoid, but it appears to be working now and it was at no-cost, which is always a good thing. Incidentally, I know that with other manufacturers would charge a customer even if the car was still under warranty. Sounds like good customer service at this dealership, if you ask me!
    Thanks again all.

Protege_fan
    So after getting the car back for a day, the check engine light as come on yet again! They have ruled out the gas cap as the culprit for the problem. Not too sure what it is, but the owner's are back, so hopefully they will get it looked after.

PF
  • I have '99 C70. Love the car but have had the usual engine lite problem with the gas cap. I have also had my sun visors replaced due to cracking of the shafts. My present problem concerns the steering. While making left turns the steering wheel seems to lock for a split second while I am turning it, then continues normally. The dealer says that this is normal. I've been driving for 35 years and have never experienced this. Can anybody shed some lite on this for me? thanks
  • jcarpijcarpi Posts: 17
    Just wanted to let you know that at 20,500 miles, my two front Michelin Pilots were too worn to pass inspection. Let me say first of all, that I do not hot rod my car, and drive a mix of city and road conditions in the Mid-Atlantic region. So, I'm a little disappointed in the poor performance when it comes to longevity. But, thanks to all of your previous comments here, I was adamant about not putting the Pirellis on, and am putting new Michelins on. If I have to spring for $500 (2x$250)to continue the excellent performance of this car, that's what I'll do. But I'd appreciate any help in trying to locate these tires cheaper for the future.
    Janice, am a little confused. You got poor mileage from the Michelin Pilots and are going to put Michelins back on? My convertible came with 17" Pirelli P6000's. Went to Discount Tire and bought their certificates, approx. $150 for four. At the time, I was told the original tires could last 20-25k "if cared for properly", meaning rotating every 5k miles, etc. At approx. 18k I had a flat in the right rear tire. When I went back to Discount for the free repair, it was discovered the two rear tires had cracks in the sidewall. Both tires were replaced free. The front tires were OK. At 20k back in for the free rotation and the front tires were getting some small cracks too. They, too, were replaced free. So now I've got a new set of tires at 20k for $150. Needless to say, certificates were bought for the replacements too. Granted they are the P6000's, and the expected mileage is still going to be 20-25k.

Suggest you give Discount Tire a call, if they are in your area. Have always received good service from them. I thinks their web address is tires.com, but don't hold me to it. Tmart
  • jcarpijcarpi Posts: 17
    Mark,
    Having read all the bad publicity here about the Pirellis, I was reluctant to change to them. The Michelins had outstanding performance for the time that I had them. I also think they wore out because I didn't rotate them as often as I should have, and my front end may have been out of alignment. I am watching my new ones to see how they do.
  • Anyone out there know of hardtops for the C70 convertables? Tough driving one around Chicago this time of year.
    Do you mean a removeable hardtop like the 55-57 TBird? Never heard of such a thing for the C70, but sounds interesting. Do you have the heated seats? Would think they'd be really good in C-town. Tmart
    Mardukes:

You would be testament to the reason I bought the coupe. I have to admit though, we really had a better spring/summer this year than normal which made me wish that I had gotten the convertible. AND WE ACTUALLY HAD SOME SEMBLANCE OF AN AUTUMN THIS YEAR!!!! (About 7 days worth). Out of curiosity, was Wednesday's 1-3 inches somewhat of a stimulus for your post?

Know nothing of a removable hardtop. Nothing @ ipdusa.com nor volvocars.com
    Finally took "Goldie" in due to the CEL on Monday. The light had been on for a couple of months. When it first came on my service advisor said no real problem since there were no running problems. Got tired of seeing the light and when the service reminder came on, I took her in. Got her back tonight. They couldn't get the fault codes to stay cleared and contacted the Volvo tech line for help. The mass air flow sensor and a fresh air hose were replaced and that cleared the codes. Hopefully the CEL will stay off. Tmart
    TMart:

Got my IPD catalogue yesterday and noticed that they have a device (US$~170.00) that you can use on your own to clear these things. ipdusa.com is the url.
    I saw it in the catalog too. Tmart
    so I guess the replacements by the dealer corrected the problem. Time will tell. Wish it would warm up a couple of degrees so I can wash and Zaino and drop the top! Tmart
  • agh15agh15 Posts: 90
    ARE THESE CARS VERY COSTLY TO REPAIR
    Really can't say because I've still got over 2 years left on the warranty. However I believe as a general rule, imports are more costly. Tmart
    Agree with TMart.
    Took in my 2000 HT for it's 30,000.
    $562.36 in all.
    That included the $22.00 for the wiper blades and the $160 in labor for the brakes. I bought the brakes from IPD and they were about $65 for front and rear.
    Arm rest cup holders finally broke and I spent $40.00 on that.
    17" tires cost around $330 a pop (I think).

Overall, I think you're going to see higher costs with the HT coupes however, everything that has gone wrong with mine has been under warranty. Get the extended warranty if you get one of these. I've had the stereo replaced 3 times but that's mainly because driving in Chicago is the equivalent of offroading and those coupes aren't tremendous at shock absorption.
  • Hi. First time poster. I own a 1999 C70 and have only put 19500 miles on it. Since buying it new in 2000, I have had the convertible top in to be repaired 6 times. The top sticks and the windows will not go up and the chime keeps going off, even if the top is up. They replaced sensors and microswitches and finally Volvo North America stepped in and "fixed" it. It happened again after it was "fixed." They say that this is unusual. Somehow I doubt that.

I am also having problems with the car sticking in gear. There have been times when I can't get it into drive from reverse. Very scary when backing out of a driveway. One time it would not start at all and it was towed 200 miles to a dealer who told me that the gear shift was stuck and the car did not think it was in park. He was unable to duplicate the problem and no faults to the computer. Anyone else ever experience anything like this?

I love the car but I seriously think this particular one has some problems in the brain. I am considering getting a 2002. Anybody experience these kinds of problems with a 02? Thanks for the input
    I,too, have a 99 C70 convertible but with a little over 23k miles. Sorry to hear of your problems. Can understand your frustrations. Fortunately, for me, I've not had any driving problems like yours, and no real problems with the top operation. At the 22.5k check up, I mentioned a "thunk" when the top was raised, when the rear window portion seated. They found a bracket was loose, and after tightening, the thunk went away. Only real problem I've had was the check engine light coming on around 20k, but it caused no driving problems, just aggravating to see it on. It was fixed at the 22.5 check up, but it took the dealer three days and calling Volvo for help to find the cause and fix the problem. No other problems so far.

Did you buy the accessory wind screen? If not, I highly recommend it. You won't believe the difference it makes. Tmart
  • Thanks tmart. The problem with my top ALWAYS started with a thunk. They finally replaced a misaligned bracket and said that this should do the trick. I'm not convinced since I still hear noises when taking the top up and down. I'll look into the windscreen if I decide to go with the 2002.