Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo C70

Comments

• tmarttmart Spring, TXPosts: 1,006
    Yes, Craig, Becky remembered you was expecting me Saturday.

Except for two problems with the P6000's, I've been very pleased with them. The first was a roaring sound when slowing down, from 25MPH to zero. Started around 12k miles. Didn't make the sound when accelerating. Dealer replaced the wheel bearings, but it didn't help that much. He said it was the tires. It did go away when the tires were replaced, so he must have been right. Will be interesting to see in 10k miles if it returns. The second was the cracking sidewalls which could have been a MAJOR problem if not caught in time before failing.

They are called "summer tires", but I'm not sure what that classification really means. I do know "down here" we don't change tires with the season like some of you do "up North" so I guess the classification means they are not meant to be driven in snow, definitely NOT a problem in Houston. My P's stick like glue to the road, and it is hard to make them squeal. No problem in the rain either. Although the traction is good, I still can't bring myself to try your "55 90 degree turns"!!
  • schuhcschuhc Posts: 333
    Tommy...

Do you guys even have 90 degree turns in Houston?
    Reminder... It's only fun with the spouse in the passenger seat because, like the P's, the only 'squeal' you're going to get is going to come from her. Difficult to make the Mich's squeal as well. Try to find a banked turn if you can.
    Thought you meant a flat turn! And, yes, we have 90 degree turns here, but they usually have 4 way stop signs! Tommy
  • snuffin1snuffin1 Posts: 1
    I am looking at a 2001 C70 LT Convertible but have questions regarding performance. Is this vehicle too slow? Do I need to hold out for the HT?
    You really asked a hard to answer question. "How fast" is subjective. You'll really need to drive it yourself to make the determination. That said, my '99 LT C70 convertible is plenty fast for ME, but may not be for YOU. One plus for the LT is it has more low end torque than the HT. Just my two cents worth. Tmart
  • dfwk2500dfwk2500 Posts: 68
    I concur with tmart. We too have a '99 LT convertible and it is plenty fast both around the city and on the highway. The one thing I have noted over the years is that each Consumer Reports auto edition recommends the LT over the HT in this car claiming the LT is more peppy. I have never driven an HT in the C70 so have no basis for personal comparison. Personally, the LT is the larger base motor with the HT having more boost. Since I am not a big turbo fan, had I been given the option (the LT was the only engine available in '99) I probably would have still gone with the LT because the larger engine will outperform the smaller engine until the turbo has completely spooled up.
  • volvodavevolvodave Posts: 3
    I had trouble deciding...but the "low end torque" mentioned by Snuffin was the deciding factor. Basically (my understanding --- feel free to correct me anybody) is that the LT's acceleration peak is at a lower speed/lower rpms. With an automatic, you might as well stay with LT, the gears will shift before you really get the most out of the High pressure turbo.

Mine seems to really motor at "passing lane speeds" (getting from 70 up to 90 in a hurry). An HT might actually do no better at these speeds, but if you want to drive faster, or like shifting, than the HT would be better.

I think the engines are the same, but the HT has slightly less displacement (2.3 vs 2.4) to create a higher pressure turbo.
  • dfwk2500dfwk2500 Posts: 68
    Although they probably did not change, the HT/LT differences back in 98 & 99 were more than just the pressure of the turbo.

The HT was 236 bhp and 243 lb-ft.(@ 2700 rpm) It got there with a bore x stroke of 3.19 x 3.54 in for a total displacement of 142 cu in (2319 cc). The compression ratio was 8.5:1. The turbo max boost was 10.5 psi.

The LT was 190 bhp and 199 lb-ft (@1800rpm). It got there with a bore x stroke of 3.27 x 3.54 in for a total displacement of 149 cu in. (2435 cc). The compression ratio was 9.0:1. The turbo max boost was 7.0 psi.

The LT was a larger engine with a larger piston operating at a higher performance compression ratio. Without the turbo boost the LT was the higher performance engine. That's why, even with the turbo boost differences, it reaches the peak of its torque curve faster because it does not need as much assistance from the turbo to get it there. Thus the "quicker" feeling engine for city driving and automatic transmission driving. The HT leapfrogs over the LT by simply bolting on more turbo boost. It is similar to the old debates whether to turbo a 4 or 5 cylinder or just make a non-turbo 6. (Remember GM's foray into the turbo 3.8L in its full size sedans instead of the 5.0L or 5.7L V-8's). It is always best to drive both versions if you are unsure of your preferences. But, keep in mind the engines are different and perform differently. Whether you will ever find a salesperson who can explain the different benefits is another story. You will need a true "gearhead" to fully explain it and then they will have their own prejudices for or against turbo boost vs substantive engine.

Thus before
    I have the HT and mine is a coupe. That being said, it is my understanding that the LT is great off the line and definitely more 'peppy' than the HT. I do however love my HT because when I am on an onramp or on the highway and need an extra bit the car is great and I tend to get a lot of 'extra bit'. I kind of look at it like with the same rationale as when Nigel Tufnel has the amplifier that goes up to 11. My problem with buying the damn HT is that I have a mental block when it comes to horsepower starting with a '1'.

One more item.... You can always buy the LT and then buy the new CPU which gives you around an extra 45hp from Idpusa.com.
    That would be "This is Spinal Tap".
  • wbevansjrwbevansjr Posts: 1
    Will a set of golf clubs fit in the trunk of a C70 Convertible ?

Thanks
    Yes!!!
    Believe it or not, I believe 2 sets of clubs will. This is how. Lisa and I went to Estes Park CO a couple of years back and loaded up the trunk of our coupe. Our regular bags went towards the front of the car and the golf bags go in last. If I remember my convertible trunk placement correctly, the area that houses the top will not interfere with where you are placing your clubs.

The top of the bag should be on the right side of the trunk and is placed in first. Then you can put the base of the bag in on the left side. You should be able to stack one bag on top of the other.

By the way, Lisa and I have cart bags, not your lightweight carry bags, but not your $400 Rodney Dangerfield Cart bag either.
  • jbernie1jbernie1 Posts: 6
    I have been researching the C70 quite heavily over the past month. However, I came across the following from Consumer Guide:

"News: Volvo's coupe and convertible were slow movers right out of the box, and demand has since shriveled to almost nothing. Also, the C70s are the only Volvos still using the old 1993 850-series basic design, so they're now quite obsolete and ready for retirement. Late word is that they will be dropped soon, probably after the 2002 model run, with no direct replacement planned."

Has anyone else heard anything about this issue?
    Interesting quote. Evidently not a Volvo fan. If you look at Volvo's history, they tend to bring the coupe in for 3-6 years, then drop it out, and then re-introduce it later on. These cars are made at a racing factory in Sweeden so the supply is not huge although I don't know if you can consider them limited production.
    As for my HT coupe. Love it.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,210
    I heard a while ago that they would be dropping the C70. But, why should that change your mind? If you like it, get it. Just because the interested of the general consumer is limited (mostly due to lack of knowledge of the product), it doesn't mean you should miss out.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

Yes, I, too, have heard the C70's will be discontinued. It's really a shame, but it will make my '99 C70 convertible even more special! They are a relatively low production item. According to Volvo Cars of North America only 3,269 C70 convertibles were sold in Model Year 1999! Don't have the Coupe figures. I've never understood why Volvo doesn't advertise them more. I still get comments from folks who didn't know Volvo even made a convertible. If you're interested, I recommend you try one. Am sure you'll like it, especially with the Dolby Pro-Logic Surround Sound System. It's awesome. Tmart
    ...and... if you ever need a spare cd magazine TMart knows just where to go to get one
  • darren64darren64 Posts: 4
    I just test drove a C70 Conv LT 2001. It has 13000 miles on it and trhe dealer here in DC is asking 36000 (with certification). I have a few questions:

1. Sound system: Is it a good one, I had a hard time telling by driving it. I(t is the standard one not the upgrade, is the upgarde worth the price?
    2. Homelink: Does the 2001 come with this?
    3. Overall impressions: Please provide anything you think would help me. I am getting a little concerned over some of the posts/reviews from some folks abut how often the thing is in the shop.
    4. I enjoyed the test drive a greta deal. It seems a little "rigid" or "tight" is this normal?

Thanks so much, I greatly appreciate any help anyone can proivide.
    I don't have an answer for your questions, but I wanted to chime in on that price. Its pretty high. You might want to pay a visit to the "Real World Trade-In Values" board and run it by them. I mean, even if it has every option other than the stereo, Edmunds comes out with an asking Dealer Certified price of $35,5. And you obviously wouldn't even want to pay that much in order to feel like you got a deal. But the guys on that message board could give you a much better idea of what you should buy it for.

• brigittekbrigittek Posts: 1
    i have a 2001 c70 convertible and i absolutly love it. i enjoy the fact that i don't see myself coming and going with every car i pass.

it handles beautifully and the surround sound is wonderful. i thought that was standard. there is one little problem. you do tend to have a blind spot with the convertible but i don't think that is exclusive with the c70. i bought mine new and it was tight. when i started driving it faster and not so cautiously, it started to loosen up. i think the more miles they have, the looser they get. also, there is nothing like that automatic top. i had a mercedes 560sl and hardly ever put the top down because it wasn't worth the hassel.
    I, too, am unable to answer all your questions, but for 1)the standard stereo, 816, is good, but the Dolby ProLogic Surround, 901 is FANTASTIC. 2) believe the Homelink is/was an option on the LT, standard on the HT. 3) My impressions are good. I have a 99 LT convertible and am very pleased with it. Tmart
  • jtenbuscjtenbusc Posts: 7
    Just turned 19k miles on my '01 HT convertible and is making ungodly noises when turning, esp. when parking. Dealer says the turning stops need to be lubed - is this common?

Other than that, what a great ride. BTW, only the C70 coupe is being discontinued - the convertible is still being built.
    $36k does sound high - a local dealer had three (new) 2001 _HT_ convertibles they were trying to move when I was there last month. They had auto trans, surround sound, one even had the fancy-schmancy $1200 wheels and they were only asking around $39k........

Also, my understanding was Homelink was only available on the coupe - something about the lighted visors in the vert don't leave enough room for it? Don't remember the whole story.
    Wow. Well, I just checked the real-world values board where darren posted this car. They are telling him $36K is right about the correct asking price for the car. But to offer $34K. So I guess Edmunds has that one right.

Let us know if you buy it, Darren.

• darren64darren64 Posts: 4
    When I posted the price I probably should have been a little clearer about the price. The asking price (no-haggle mind you) is $34,950. The extra $1,000 was/is for the certification process for 6 years, 100K miles. 98% coverage. I asked the dealer yesterday about up-grading the stereo system to the surround sound and he said that it cannot be done at a dealership, they only do it in the factory, because of the hole in the dash the needs to be cut. It was out of detailing yesterday afternoon and going in for the inspection for the certification to be completed sometime today, I am going back for a final test drive today, since I have not signed anything. If all goes well I should have the new car this evening. I will keep you all posted. Before I go are there things I should "keep my eyes open" for, like a squeak/bump/rattle etc that may be a sign of problems? Thanks again and I will let you all know what happens.

Darren

PS Thanks for all the help so far, I greatly appreciate people taking the time to assist me.
  • suemartinsuemartin Posts: 1
    I've been seriously looking at the Volvo C70. It's a beautiful car. The Volvo dealer
    where I have been looking has 4 or 5 of them, ranging from $46-$48,000. From reading
    other postings, this seems high. What do you all think???
    Thanks,
    Sue
    Sue, based on the prices, I'm assuming you're looking at the convertible and not the coupe. Apprears to be around MSRP. Would think you should be able to get one for less than sticker. Where is your dealer? Mine in Houston rarely has more than 2 at one time. It's a super car, especially with the upgraded audio system, the SC901 with Dolby Pro-Logic Surround Sound. It's pricey, but worth it. Good luck on your "looking". Hope it turns into a buy. Tmart
    Sue:

I agree with Tmart. I am also assuming that it is not only a convertible but totally loaded. Listening to the guys here, if you want a lower price, you can go for the LowPressure Turbo and not sacrifice anything in performance.
    Good Luck
    Craig
    Okay - got the scoop on the steering stops. They need to be lubed occasionally otherwise they make a terrible sound when turning the wheels all the way left or right. Easy fix.
  • sfwestysfwesty Posts: 1
    I am extremely frustrated about the wind noise (serious whistling beyond 50mph) with my C70 HPT Convertible. I had both windows re-worked at least three times each...My dealer tells me that the C70's are just noisy cars. My doors also sqweek way too much, and my dealer also tells me that it is normal (seems like too much plastic)...

I am shocked nobody else on the board here has mentioned the problem -- is this normal?