Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo C70

Comments

• mlewis, what is too slow, the car seat moves to slow or the car is to slow. IF you mean the car, what the hell do you mean and what difference does it make in the rain??????? I'm confused????
    ??????????????
  • mlewismlewis Posts: 9
    Fastline486
    You must not own a C70. :^) The car is plenty fast enough. The seats are motorized and move very slowly when moving them forward for providing access to the rear seat.It is a problem in the rain because you are getting wet while you are trying to get in the back seat.
  • genearchgenearch Posts: 12
    "best... I'll ever own?"

Low expectations eh?

Ever want:
    Integrated Garage door opener?
    Dimming Mirrors?
    Memory Mirrors?
    Automatic headlights?
    Memory seats that don't require that you hold the memory button while the seat moves?
    No Antenna?
    Intergated Cellular phone option?

The C70 is a marginally "decent" car.. not anywhere near some of the others in it's class. Volvo reliability is another HUGE question mark. Also, the C70 has been selling terribly! The local dealerships still have brand new, fully loaded 1998's in stock and on the showroom floor!

C70 is a miss....
    Yea, low expectations...I guess you would just
    like a limo to ride around in, then you wouldn't
    have to do anything...no thanks. The C70 may be a
    "miss" to you, or anybody else for that matter, but to me it's a HIT! You can have your Merc or Bimmer and I'll keep my C70 and not see one on every corner. BTW, which cars in its class is it not "anywhere near?" Check out these reviews: http://carpoint.msn.com/vip/Volvo/C70 or http://www.motortrend.com/may98/sptcp/sptcp_f.html which compares the CLK320 and the 328is. You don't have to agree with "the experts", you don't even have to think the C70 is a "decent" car but don't mistakenly think your post has any credibility. While you are concerned with "integrated door openers" I'll take the car that "provides the best blend of all elements."
  • genearchgenearch Posts: 12
    My post has PLENTY of credibility.. I owned a C70, FULLY LOADED ($48K) for all of 7 months.. pile of crap to say the least...Maybe Ford will bring some innovation and reliability to the Volvo product. Been there.. done that. Also, the torquesteer on the C70 is a joke. If Volvo wanted to take the world by storm with the new coupe, they would have chosen AWD. It's one thing to have a "rare" car, yes the C70 is produced in limited quantities, but that "uniqueness" goes right out the window when the car is a dog at selling. Here in Southern California, they are sitting on dealers lots, every dealer has at least one and the majority of those are 1998 models.. very rare indeed... more like undesirable. The Price/Value equation is at work here.. simply not enough value for the buck.
    Ah, Southern California...say no more squire...
  • mcohenmcohen Posts: 21
    Well then, what is the best car in the C-70's class? CLK320? SC300? 328is? Saab 9-5? Remember these are $40,000. They won't be perfect. You want perfect, keep saving...

All of these cars are good cars. They all have problems too. But for an overall car, I believe the Volvo wins. I don't care if it sells 30,000 or 30. I got mine because I wanted it. Volvo (and Ford) have to deal with the sales.
    Maybe next year or the following year they will produce the AWD version.

As for the seats, you can get new seats from Volvo, but they are gonna cost you!
  • Well said, it all comes down to what you like and afford.

What!!??? new seats??
    Is there an alternative to the seat issue? What exactly can you buy from Volvo to solve the "slow seat issue."
  • bjorn_lbjorn_l Posts: 16
    best in class... I would give it to BMW.
    M3 coupe = $39,700
    328is coupe = $33,200
    Volvo C70 HT = $39,395

As you can see the Volvo is priced at the same level as the M3 while delivering less preformance then even the 328. Also FWD is not a good on a high preformance vehicle. Torque steer is a drag. AWD would have been a very good idea. They have it on the V70, so why not? Better would have been awd with the lovely engine in the S80 t-5.
    Volvo has the most comfortable seats. in the bunch. It has very nice style and lines. Very pretty. The BMW is the best handler and best preformer, even if you 'just' consider the 328.
    The Mercedes probably has the best over all "luxury" approach, although I don't consider their seats nearly as nice to sit in as bmw's or Volvo's.
    Most reviews on the C70, rate it very low due to its relatively low "drivability" compared to others in it's class
    for example:
    http://caranddriver.com/FrameSet/0,1350,_sl_Article_sl_0_cm_1298_cm_705_1_16_cm_00,00.html
    This article rates it 4th in a 4 way comparison with BMW 328, MB clk320, Saab 9-3 se.
    I've seen others as well NONE of which rate the Volvo above the middle of the pack.
    First, that review covers the convertibles not the coupes. Second, if you want to read a review which rates the Volvo ahead of the pack read the review I linked in a prior message. I have never read a review that ranked the coupe "low." Third, I drove all the competitors, owned several BMW's, never owned a Mercedez however, and on balance, all things considered, preferred the Volvo and am very happy with my choice. That is not to say that I don't respect the CLK or the Bimmer, I just fell in love with the C70.
  • gcamp11gcamp11 Posts: 4
    I just bought a 99 Volvo C70, 5 speed, HT, all the options. The 5 speed has to be ordered - 10-12 weeks delivery. I think I got a pretty good deal - $1,000 over invoice. I understand that this is a limited production car - does anyone know how many for '99?

Also - what about aftermarket performance upgrades??
  • zaqzaq Posts: 19
    No idea on production.

For performance mods for a C70 checkout IPD their website is at www.ipdusa.com

Replace the exhaust and ECU and you have a 285 HP car. Lower it, add bilstien shocks and stiffer anti-roll bars and it should make a significant difference in handleing too.

I'm currently planning what's going to happen to my 740-T this july after I start work. I'll probably be turning to Group-6 performance, but they don't have any listings for C70's so I think IPD may be your best bet.
  • rmastellrmastell Posts: 3
    If any of you own or are looking to own a C70 convertible, there is a topic "All convertibles - general info" where shoppers are speaking with owners about all kinds of cars and their opinions. Please stop by and contribute some knowlage.
  • gcamp11,
    Sounds like a salesman's line. The only limitation to production is the demand, not many in this market want to change their own gears....
  • HAs anyone driven both the C70 and Chevy Prism? I want to compare the ride quality because the Prism also a stiff ride? I just need to know which is more harsh, more solid, and other ride factors?
    Thanks
  • gcamp11gcamp11 Posts: 4
    2 different leagues - Chevy Prism vs Volvo C70 - don't you think??
  • vaevae Posts: 1
    I am graduating and want to buy a new convertible. I have always wanted a convertible. I don't want to go over $30,000 and I do not like the mustangs. My choices include; the volvoc70, BMW conver, spyder, and maybe the toyota celica. Any thoughts.

Johnavae Quinn
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,287
    All nice cars...this is a matter of personal taste, I think, so you'll probably get 4 different answers....but first of all, $30K will not buy you a new Volvo or BMW...what 'sypder' were you referring to?

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

Best convertible for under 30k would be the Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder (redesign next year though), or the new mustang convertible. The Volvo is going to be around $45k.
  • QX498QX498 Posts: 9
    I just recently bought a C70. I loaded some cd's into the magazine and it wouldn't load all the way .It said error 001, has anyone had this problem. I brought it to the dealership and they said they could only find one of the cd's i had loaded. They said there are gonna have to replace the whole unit. Has anyone had any problems with there radio or does any one know what the errors mean.

Thank
    R. Geoffroy
  • shamrockshamrock Posts: 1
    I thinking about the c-70, would like pro and con from some owners.
    I test drove a C70 and bought a different car. The C70 is very comfortable. It looks nice. But it looks a bit faster then it moves. I would suggest you also test drive a few other cars in this same class before you buy. Specifically try and test drive rear wheel drive models. The c70 for all it's beauty and charm is limited by it's front wheel drive (torgue steer is pretty strong).
    If it were available with AWD, it'd be much more interesting. I don't know why they didn't make this an option since they did on the sedan and wagon (s70/v70), but not the coupe.
    To Shamrock

You think the C70 is a slow car in its class.
    What pray tell do you think is faster for a two door coupe. What car did you buy then if you didn't but the C70. I happen to be a happy owner of a C70 and I go through cars alot.
    I believe you meant your question for me not Shamrock.
    I bought a BMW 328. And this fall, my M3 convertable arrives. Both are faster and more capable then the C70. The c70 is somewhat hamstrung by it's fwd. To slice through corners with good control at speed takes rwd or awd.
    If you'll re-read my post, you'll see that I wasn't and am not critical of the c70. I only wish it had awd or rwd, as it is quite nice to look at and those seats are amazing.
    Who drives these cars like that? Do I take my $40,000 car and test it's cornering ability at 50 mph? Do I race everyone on the road? No. I worked had for the car and don't want it trashed.

Just because it is FWD doesn't mean it's bad. Would you have bought the car if you didn't know it was FWD? That's like voting for a president based on one issue.

As for AWD, I asked the dealer and he said they didn't because the C70 is a niche car that won't be going into conditions that need AWD (snow, ice).
    If you wanted to drive like you have a lexus, you might have been happier if you'd bought one.
    I drive as if I enjoy driving. I maintain my car extremely well as I love it for what it can do. My current car is a BMW 328 convertible (trading it in this fall when my new car arrives from germany). (the same setup but an M3). The point I was making wasn't that your car sucks, because it doesn't. But when pushed hard it isn't as capable as rwd and awd models. I would NOT have bought the car if I had no known it was fwd. One spirited drive would have told me. And I did drive it before I bought my current car. I didn't buy. It was more comfy then the 328 but didn't drive any where near as good.
    For slow crusing, I'm sure the C70 would be a better car since with the optional luxury leather, it has the most comfortable seats I have ever felt.
    I apologize then if I wrote my reply to the wrong person. A 328 faster then a C70. What 328 has what 192 or so horsepower you better have a five speed. A M3 maybe but still less horsepower and it would be close in my opinion. Sorry if i was harsh. But that is the way i feel. In case of a BMW you better have a 540 or a M roadster in my opinion.
    Sorry to post again but i never looked in the window to see who sent it. I will look next time.
    Don't worry about the mis-post. I don't think anyone minds.
    The Volvo C70 has two versions, the HT (High-Turbo) (fast) and the LT (Low-Turbo) slower.
    The HT has 236HP the LT has 190. But they are otherwise the same car. Lets only look at the more fun car (the HT).
    The 328 has 193hp. The M3 has 240 (in the USA).
    The 328 has the same 0-60 times as the HT. 0-60 of 6.2. The M3 has a 0-60 time of just below 5.5.
    The C70 and 328 both have great brakes (about the same). The 328 has a much higher skidpad (lateral g before sliding) .91 vs .86. The BMW also is faster through a slalom course and other agility tests. The M3 beats both the 328 and C70-HT in every category.
    The C70 is more comfortable to sit in (it's top of the line "special leather" seats are amazing). Fashion is a matter of taste. I think the C70 looks better. But in the corners the BMW is better. And the harder you drive, the more the difference becomes. The Volvo is a fine car, beautiful and comfortable. But it is FWD, and it has alot of torque steer when pushed through the corners. This is bad. This car would have been amazing if it had been RWD or AWD.
    It's also more expensive then the better performing BMW.