Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo C70

Comments

• tmarttmart Spring, TXPosts: 1,026
    Several reasons why I did it again. First of all I was, and still am, pleased with the Pirelli's. I was told by Discount Tire that the tires should last around 20-25k with "careful" driving when I bought the certificates. This wasn't mentioned by the dealer, surprise, surprise. I've since found out most all 17 or 18 inch high performance tires only last around 20k or less. I was used to getting 40+k with "regular" all season tires with 15 or 16 inch wheels. I didn't relish the thoughts of shelling out a grand for a new set every 20-25k, so when they started cracking at 19k, FREE (actually $150 considering the cost for the initial certificates)replacement was a fantastic deal. Wouldn't you also pay $150 versus $1,000? I kinda hope this set starts cracking at 19k too. Granted, if I didn't have the certificates, I'd probably go with a different tire.
  • I admit to being a bit confused - would anyone choose to save $800 to $1,000 on tires so that they could increase their chance of a stay in the Intensive Care Unit, followed by convalescence, physical therapy, etc.? If there is a catastrophic failure of the tire (of which the cracking and bubbling can be a precursor to) at speed, an ICU visit is almost a certainty (if not worse). I guess the decision to stay with Pirellis is one that each individual must make for themself. My own personal experience with the Michelin Pilot Sport tires on 17 inch wheels has been around 35K - 40K miles per set. I inflate the tires to the high setting recommended by Volvo, rotate the tires every 5K miles, my driving pattern is probably slightly biased toward highway, and the weather where I live (S.F. Bay area) is not extreme; but I have been getting 35K to 40K miles per set.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,930
    I love Perellis. It's too bad you got a "bad batch" but generally they are a great tire for the money. I wouldn't be sour on them for one bad experience. Every manufacturer of every product known to man will produce a defect now and then. You switch to another quality tire (not some bogus brand of course which guarantees trouble) and sooner or later you or someone with that brand will have a similar bad experience. It's just the statistical inevitability of mass manufacturing. I remember a similar hassle many years ago with Perelli motorycycle tires ("chunking out" we called it), but the company made good and corrected the error.

I mean how many people stopped buying Toyotas because of their mistakes? Not many because they are way more on the good side than on the bad.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• jrosasmcjrosasmc Posts: 1,704
    So the current C70 convertible will still be offered through at least 2004? That's a long life for a car that started out as the 850.
  • Mr_Shiftright: A minor point, but I think you mean Pirelli, as opposed to Perelli (unless of course you are referring to some new boutique tire brand that is attempting to break into the tire market). No disrespect, but....

Which tire to use is truly a personal decision. However, after two (apparently back-to-back) incidents of cracking and bubbling for ph0493, the concept of statistical anomaly gets stretched a bit.

Absent a recall program, the end user must make the decision to stay or switch. The example you gave of Toyota can be countered by Audi and their problem with "sudden acceleration". After numerous incidents, the problem was attributed to the placement of the brake and accelerator pedals being too close together (and the driver stepping on the accelerator pedal when they meant to step on the brake pedal - otherwise known as operator error....) Nevertheless, Audi suffered serious market erosion and consequent financial loss that has only recently been turned around.

By the way, I have a set of 4 Pirelli 235/45 H17 tires that were originally supplied on my S60 AWD that have no wear at all. (I supplied the dealer with a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires and requested the Michelin's be mounted before I would take delivery of the car.) If anyone is interested in the Pirelli's, let me know and I will open up an auction on eBay.
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    Yup the C70 will exist thru the 2004 modle year.
    The new C50 will not be available till 2005.
    Long time, but not the longest serving Volvo.
    The 240 ran from 1975 till 1993!

I don't like Pirellis, they wear too fast and don't provide as much grip as you think.
    I love my Pilot Sports, much better tire.
    Also rides much better.
    Had a set of P-Zeros on my T5-R, didn't see the value.
  • What have you heard about the C50? I have heard rumors that are all over the board: All Wheel Drive, 300 Hp/300 Ft Lbs, Retracting Aluminum top like Lexus SC430, and, and, and.... Basically, a gold-plated wish list. What are you hearing from Volvo? (If anything; they (Volvo factory people) seem to be playing deaf, dumb and blind with the dealer staff that I know.)
    Basically,
    We've heard all the same things.
    All we know is that the car will be built from the new P1 chassis, and is supposed to feature a retractable hard top.
    The price should be a good bit less than the current C70 convertible, although the car will be smaller too.

As for Volvo's lack of info, this is not surprising. They are a very secretive company.
    They want to maximize the wow factor of a product unveiling.That and they don't want to take the focus off selling their existing cars
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,930
    Sorry, typo. I do that a lot.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• Searching for service coupons I noticed a local Volvo dealer's website where they promote the various Volvo products. For the 2003 C70 they describe it as follows:

"But while the similarly named V70 wagon was redesigned two years ago (and moved to the larger, more luxurious S80 platform), the C70 continues to ride on the 10-year-old previous-generation S70/V70 platform while waiting for a complete makeover. Of course, older underpinnings don't make the C70 an undesirable car -- it's simply not the best the company has to offer. The C70 competes against cars like the Mercedes-Benz CLK, the BMW 3 Series and the Saab 9-3. It is not as performance-oriented as the Mercedes or BMW, but the C70 does have its own unique advantages."

Are they trying to sell this car or make excuses for it???
    Definitely sounds like excuses. What's the dealer's name? I assume it's in the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex. Would think Volvo should know about the wording.
  • The dealer is Volvo of Richardson. The specific page is http://www.volvoofrichardson.com/fs/fs_newvehicles.htm
  • gccvgccv Posts: 1
    I am currently considering a C70 and a BMW 325ci (coupe). I just test drove the BMW this weekend and found the back seats small. Is the C70's larger in the rear seat area?
  • The back seats are almost as generous as the front seats. The only disadvantage is getting into the back seats (although the same could be said for getting into the back seat area of the BMW 325ci). I think that the back seat dimensions for the C70 are greater than those for the S60. (It (the C70) certainly feels larger.)
  • schuhcschuhc Posts: 333
    The back seats are very nice. I believe that there is the illusion of more room because they seem to be reclined at a bit of an angle that allows the legs to have more room. Avolvofan is right about getting into them though.... It takes the front seats 3 years to move forward so that someone can get in. You may want to start the car before you move the front seats as it may drain the battery (yes, I am only kidding, a little).
    And yes... The C70 is longer then the S60.
  • So far I've replaced both driver and passenger window cartridges in my 2000 coupe. Each time the dealership has take at least 4 tries to adjust the window so it doesn't hit the rubber trim causing the door not to close properly or adjusted high enough so as not to leak air. They tell me they can only adjust up and down and not (N,S) and not on the sides (E,W). Anyone experience similar problems.
  • Have you considered taking the car to a different dealer? Four tries is stretching credibility a bit much. If you can find a dealer with a dedicated body shop that would be preferable to one that sends the job out.
    does seen excessive. What are the "window cartridges"? I'm not familar with that term. Are they on the coupe only?
  • They are the unit within the door that the window rides up and down on. I've been told that since coupes have larger,heavier windows this type of problem is not uncommon.
  • I don't know about the convertibles, but I have a 2000 C-70 (non-convertible), and have not had problems with the window seal on either side. Again, it sounds like there may be problems with the dealer's capability to work on the C-70. Especially the comment about heavier windows....
    There was a problem w/ the 2000 convertibles windows jumping their tracks, or failing to work at all.
  • shark715shark715 Posts: 380
    I have an '02 C70 convertible, and the owner's manual advises against taking it through an automatic car wash due to the potential of damaging the top. Anyone have any experiences with this? Thanks in advance for your help.
    I've always handwashed mine so no actual experience. However, I can understand how a rolling brush could possibly harm the fabric or maybe the frame. Would not think the touchless kind would hurt either the top or the frame. My concern would be the water pressure around the windows and bottom of the rear window causing water to get inside.
  • shark715shark715 Posts: 380
    I have an '02 C70 and have decided to change my oil and filter myself for the first time. Any tips from others who have done it themselves? I bought a filter and to my surprise it's a cartridge rather than cannister type. Where does the gasket provided with the filter go? How tight do you re-tighten the cannister that the cartridge goes in? It looks like I can reach the filter and drain plug without jacking the car up...has anyone tried that? Does the drain plug have a washer that requires replacement? Thanks in advance for your help.
  • Recommend you get :

Rhino Ramps + Car stands - Pep Boys
    Filter case cup - IPD
    Crush washer - Where u got the cartridge or IPD

Where does the gasket provided with the filter go? There is a slot on the threaded area of the
    plastic filter case. Use old oil to lubricate the
    new gasket and slip it in slot. Easy to see.

How tight do you re-tighten the cannister that the cartridge goes in? You will feel when it
    stops. It won't want to go anymore, don't go past this.

It looks like I can reach the filter and drain plug without jacking the car up...has anyone tried that? No Way. Not enough clearence for the pan.

Does the drain plug have a washer that requires replacement? Yes. Each time as the crush washer
    changes shape. 50-75 cents.

The filter case cup tool slides on the case and
    has a bolt like thingy you attach a rachet to.

I know they sell these cups at pep boys but you
    would have to size it up some how.

rd 99 c70
  • avolvofanavolvofan Posts: 358
    Use old oil to lubricate the gasket? If it were my car, old oil would go straight to the recycling center. New oil would be used to lube the gasket. But then again, I am very picky....
  • Yup,

Forgot the reasons but they say you should
     use your old warm oil to lub your new filters
     rubber gasket. Anyone know if I'm right on this
     one?

rd
  • I installed a Fumoto oil valve to make the job easier. It's not that expensive and you will never have to replace the crush washer again.
    http://www.fumotovalve.com/

Got one for each of my vehicles while I was at it. And no, I don't own stock or represent this company in any way....
  • schuhcschuhc Posts: 333
    All:

After trying different brands of CD-Rs in the stereo, I have found the following....

You will want to burn at 1x the speed.
    You will want to use TDKs. These have been the best so far. Barry Manilow's voice really comes through well (yes, that is a joke as I only listen to Richard Simmons Sweatin to the Oldies)
    Memorex is ok
    Sony is ok
    DO NOT use Phillips. The stereo searches forever to find the song and you can forget about skipping ahead to the next song.
    Craig, thanks for the info. Hey, what's wrong with Barry?? He's the Man(ilow)!