Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo C70

Comments

• dick0823dick0823 Posts: 5
    My 2000 C70 made a ratchet sound on tight slow speed turns. Usually more pronounced going right. Brought to Service Managers attention who lubricated it and havn't heard it since
  • couchguycouchguy Posts: 3
    I too suffer from ratchety/clicky sound from the front end of my 98 coupe, my mechanic friend says it may be the LSD (limited slip) but I have not had it checked out yet, so can not say for sure.

ps : anyone have problems with synthetic oil after 100,000 km = 60,000 mi ?

pps : can anyone recomend a nice wing that has looked nice on a C70 ?
  • schuhcschuhc Posts: 333
    CouchGuy:

You may wish to go to ipdusa.com. They have a ton of items for the Volvo.
  • tmarttmart Spring, TXPosts: 999
    There's usually some on Ebay too. Tmart
    Anyone know where I can get another magazine for the SC901, other than my friendly Volvo dealer who charges $39.59 + tax? Interestingly, the price is the same at all three dealers here in Houston! Thanks, Tmart
    Hey:

Only thing that I can think of is going to a junkyard to see if they have any wrecked Volvos. It's a lot easier here in Chicago. One just places an order with the friendly neighborhood fix-it guy and has it the next day. Tend not to ask questions afterwards, if you know what I mean.
    *wink*wink*nudge*nudge*
    Thanks, Schuhc, for the info. Any idea what they "cost", wink, wink? Do you know who makes the magazines for Volvo? Alpine?
    I am not busy at all today. So here you go.... They have one @ Circuit City for you below.

Called Tweeter in Houston - they didn't have one. They thought that you should be able to get in touch with Alpine and they would help you out (2pack for $30).

Called Becky at Circuit City (Houston) @ 4500 San Felipe St.(627-2500). THEY HAVE ONE. I told her my friend Tommy was going to come in to get it. If you go in there and tell Becky that you're a friend of Craig's she'll sell it to you for $10 (normaly $20 but it's probably out of the package or something). Told her that you may be in by the weekend.
    Looks like it's just off the loop, just south of I-10.

Let me know how it works out. If it doesn't you can always go directly to Alpine.

Craig
    I thought the CD part was made by Alpine, but wasn't sure. Wish I'd been able to read your note this morning. Was in the Galleria area earlier today taking one of my twins to have his wisdom teeth removed. Will definitely go see Becky. Her price definitely beats the Volvo dealer's price. Thanks again, Tommy
    Anytime Tommy. Gave me something to do.
  • volvodavevolvodave Posts: 3
    Hi...

I got my 2000 C70 with 17" alloy rims and Pirelli P6000 tires. One of the Pirellis started bulging out at the sidewall after 10K miles, and Pirelli refused to replace it under warranty (claimed it was a road hazard). Now, 5,000 miles later, I've had another one do the same. @ $250/tire, This is an expensive annoyance.... Has anyone else experienced similar tire flaws with the Pirellis that came with with the car? I'm wondering if their is a history of quality problems with the tires they delivered to Volvo. Thanks
    Volvodave, I, too, had problems with my '99 C70 P6000 tires, but not like yours. Around 19k some small cracks began to develop in the sidewalls of both rear tires. Fortunately, I had bought certificates from Discount Tire for $150 a week after buying the car, so the tires were replaced and sent back to Pirelli. No cost to me, but I did buy certificates for the two new tires, $75 for both. Between 19.5 and 20k the other two tires developed cracks and Discount replaced them too. Bought certificates for them too. So, by 20k, all four tires had been replaced for an initial cost of $150. Interestingly, the original four tires still had a fair amount of tread still left. Needless to say, my first stop after buying my wife's '00 ES300, was at Discount Tire to buy certificates for her tires. Tmart
  • dfwk2500dfwk2500 Posts: 68
    We were trying to stretch the life of our P6000 tires ('99 convertible) to the 30k mark when one developed a bubble at around 25k. When the tire was dismounted, it was evident that there was no "road hazard" damage (at least none that could be proved). Since the sidewall of the tire was fine, except for the bubble (no scrapes, cuts, etc.) and since the inside was also undamaged, the shop manager gave us a credit on two of the four for the remaining tread % (against the current selling price of the same tire) and said he would charge it off to Pirelli. He could only do two because he could only justify replacing the tires in pairs. We replaced the tires with Michelin and my wife seems much happier with the ride. I can't tell if the ride and handling improvements were due simply to new tires or change in brand.
  • I've been following this forum for a while and I've been seeing a lot of quality issues on the Volvo C70.

Are these just the exceptions.. not the rule?
  • dfwk2500dfwk2500 Posts: 68
    We purchased a 99 C70 convertible in January 1999. After 35,000 miles we have had a few minor things, but nothing on the car I would consider a "quality" issue. (I wasn't impressed by the original tires, but don't credit that as a car issue as I am not particularly impressed by the Firestone tires on our truck either. Like the Pirelli's, the truck tires will give way to Michelin or BF Goodrich when the time comes). We have had similar minor things on our other past and present cars as well and they were all Honda products. (88 Integra, 89 Accord, 95 Accord and 00 Accord). As much as my wife has enjoyed the C70, should something ever happen to it, we would likely replace with the same (presuming one is available).

Most posts on any bulletin board tend to be problems because there is no need to compare notes on non-problems. Take a look at any of the Honda sites and you would think you were buying a Yugo.
  • volvodavevolvodave Posts: 3
    Thanks for the help on the p6000s, dfwk2500 and tmart. This time, I think I'll have a little more leverage when I insist on a warranty replacement for the tire. When I need to replace the set, however, I'm switching to Michelin. The Pirellis sound like they are the wrong tire for this car, and if I had it to do again, I think I wouldn't even go for the 17' wheels (but don't they look good!)
  • dickmorindickmorin Posts: 4
    For those who replaced the Pirellis with Michelin, which Michelin Pilot did you purchase??
    Also, what tire pressure do you run??
    VolvoDave: I've got the Michelin Pilots on mine and have hit 33,000 on Chicago streets.

Dickmorin: Pilot SFX (I think) 32 or 33lbs. I'll check tonight and let everyone know.

Forbesandrew: I think there have been a ton of things on the tires (Pirellis) on this post but keep in mind that one of the things this post does is highlight issues so that resolution can be found. Not many people get on here and totally rave about their cars. I agree with dfwk with my 2000 that all my issues have been minor and quickly resolved. As far as raving goes....

Guys - Got my 2000 HT up to 125 on the way down to Indianapolis for a golf tournament the other day. Had to back off because my wife finally noticed the noise of the wind wipping past the side view mirrors and freaked out. She had no idea that we were going so fast. hehe

Craig
    Craig, thanks again for the lead. Just got back from seeing Becky at CC and the magazine works perfectly. At $10, it was a super buy.
    Haven't hit the century mark yet. Fastest so far has been 95 and still rock solid with more pedal still available.

Re the tires: Since I had the Discount Tire certificates, the replacement tires were P6000's. Can't complain with getting 4 for $150.
    Tmart - Definitely a good idea on the certificates. Glad the CD Magazine worked out for you. Did you tell Becky that I lived in Chicago or did she not even remember me?

Tires - I have the Michelin Pilot SX 225/45 - 17. You guys can always go to 'TireRack.Com' to do research on the tires (user reviews). The Michelin's have been exceptional for me so will probably get them again. TMart obviously has not had many problems with the P6000 and I am guessing that he uses his car frequently. I have heard about the P's being soft such that if the car sits for an extended period of time the tires will develop a 'flat spot' and cause shimmying while driving. I'd also think that location has something to do with it as well. My weather extremes are a bit different than TMart's down in Houston where it hasn't reached 60 degrees since the Cubs won the World Series.