Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo C70

Comments

• schuhcschuhc Posts: 333
    Quick question and I know that it is a stupid one.

I've noticed that I get a lot more 'umph' out of my HT when I have 6 gallons or less in the tank. Is that because I'm running lighter or does it have to do with the gas being warmer? Or anything. Has anyone else noticed the same phenomenon?
  • tmarttmart Spring, TXPosts: 1,010
    A WAG would be less weight. Would not think the temperature would be a factor. By the way, there's no stupid questions, only stupid answers. How's the new passenger doing??
    She's ok. We went down to Indianapolis this past weekend and Lisa and Aine sat in the back pretty comfortably. Not a problem getting her infant seat in and out of the back (but that was a consideration when we bought it 3 years ago so we had tested it before). Lisa's first day back at the office was today and I had to shove a prybar between Lisa and her mother so we could get into work.

No horror stories yet, but given my wife's Italian-American heritage, I'm sure there will be some soon.

Have you checked out my last post on the c70 v clk board? ;-)
  • Any discussions yet as to when Volvo intends to produce a new coupe??
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    Won't be for at least 2 yrs.
    It will feature a folding hardtop and be based on the P1 chassis.
    It is my understanding that the P1 Chasis is the new '50' chasis. Am I off on this?
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    Is the chassis for the 2005 S40 as well as the V50.
  • I have a 2001 C70 coupe 31,000 miles/nautic blue/tan interior/sunroof/dolby surround 3 CD player/5 speed manual that I just love. It's leased and the lease is expiring in May 2004. I don't really like much out there right now and I really love my car. The only problem I've had was that when I went throug the car wash water leaked through the passenger side door seal. The dealer fixed it no charge. That actually happened twice.
    My question is what to do. I don't really like any of the cars out there right now. I kind of like the new Saab 9-3 sedan (especially the interior) and maybe the Volvo S60R but I'm thinking that mine is such a rare care with those exact specs...I've never seen one exactly like mine.....maybe I should buy it at the end of the lease. Any thoughts. I figure the residual at that time will be around $20,000. I hate to give up such a gorgeous car. I also have a 9 month old kid and I do have a car seat in the back and it's kind of a pain but I'm getting used to it. My wife of course can't drive it although we keep saying I'll teach her. 4 doors would be nice for the car seat convenience factor, but at what price? Thoughts on my predicament appreciated.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,323
    Personally, I have a tough time finding cars that I love. So, if you're like me, then already having one that still meets your needs and wants is half the battle. I say keep it on 2 conditions. 1 is that you negotiate a fair buyout. When its getting closer to the end of the lease, visit the Real World Trade-in Values board and find out what it's worth. You should try to negotiate a buyout for as close to that as you can. 2nd thing is to get an extended warranty. And I mean a good one. Since you are still under factory warranty, you should be able to buy an extended warranty from Volvo at a reasonable price. good luck and enjoy.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

I'm biased but I would say keep it. I wanted a 5-speed but we were a 1 car family and my wife couldn't drive a stick. The S60R is incredibly sweet and I thought about trading the C in for it but only for about 2 seconds then I laughed at myself. Lisa and I went ahead and bought the XC90 as we have a 3-month old. While the child seat is a pain, it is a realtively small pain given how much I love my C.
    I've test driven the R and I would not fault you for going that route but it would be a shame to give up your C.
  • Just settling into a new 2004 c70

Looking ahead to the new england winter

Looking for some advice on snow tires and rims.
    I am assuming my best bet is steel rims with plastic caps, saving the alloy's for spring/summer driving.

I am aware of tire rack but 135/rim + 150 per tire will add up quickly.

any help appreciated.
    on both what to by, what the specs are necessary to ensure that the rims will fit my car, and where a good place ot look is.

tim
  • jcarpijcarpi Posts: 17
    I have a 2000 C-70 coupe, 5-speed, 3 disc changer, venetian red/grey interior, and still love driving it. Before I bought it, I had looked for years to replace my beloved 1984 300 ZX, with a car that had style, performance, and safety. This car has it all! I love it still (although we all know the hassles of getting in and out of the back seat). I have 38K on it, and haven't had any major expenses besides new tires. I expect to keep this baby for years.
    Buy them, they are worth the investment. And get 16inchers as well.
    I made the mistake of keeping my pilots on my HT and that sucker slid all over the place. Those tires get so packed it's unbelievable (MIchigan snow).

16inch snow tires are definitely worth $150 a pop as you will use them for 3 years.

You can always check on tirerack.com as they have good deals as well
  • Unfortunately, my 17" Canisto wheels met the mean streets of San Francisco last night. Scraped both RT side rims while yielding to a BIG paramedics truck. Has anyone had any experience with OEM wheels that have been remanufactured to look new?
    Companies such as www.wheel-and-rims.com offer the rim for $181, vs. the $392 from the local Volvo dealer new. One of my main concerns is if the color will match the other rims, since I believed they are repainted. Thanks!
    For the past couple of weeks I've had intermittent hesitation when lowering the top. Not a big deal, just release and press the switch again. Then it didn't want to raise. Thoughts of raising it with the provided little wrenches didn't sound like a good option. Finally got it to go up. Visited the dealer the next day. Eight codes pointed to one of several potentiomers relating to top positions. Of course it had to be ordered. Did you know there were error codes for the top operations? Dropped the car off Thursday, got a nice S60 as a loaner, and picked up the car Saturday. Top lowered fine at the dealership and raised fine at home. But Sunday I noticed that both rear windows hadn't sealed with the top, leaving a quarter inch gap at the bottom corner. Went back today and was told the only way to fix the gap/sealing is to REPLACE the top!! My service advisor said the Volvo rep happened to be there last week and he'd seen several with the same gap problem and the only fix is a top replacement. Anyone have or had problems with their top?
  • Sorry to hear about the problems with your top. Since the early recall we have had no problems with the operation of the top (in service 2/99), although the rear glass has had to be reglued to the velcro seal. Can't imagine why a new top would be needed to close a gap at the rear windows. If the replacement parts were the same as the original the tolerances should not be off that much. Still in warranty, or extended warranty? Keep us posted. It would be a shame to be without the car when the weather has finally become perfect for top down operation around here.
    You have to be kidding me. I would.... diplomatically speaking... "communicate up a garbage storm"!

I'm assuming the top sealed correctly before you took it in there. I would think that they should fix the top problem (which it seems they did) without introducing another bug. Tommy...Lemme know if you want me to come down there and.... diplomatically speaking.... "give them insight to the physicallity of a Chicago temper directed to the portion of the body that they sit with".

BTW...Did it drop below 70 degrees down there and you felt like you needed to have the heater on? Why would you ever put the top up?
    Throttle body this weekend. 63,000 miles and it finally decided to die on me.

$781.00 parts and labor.

Should've gotten that extended warranty. Definitely will for the XC90.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,323
    Well, this is a couple of months old, but I just spotted it now.
    http://www.swedespeed.com/news/09_03/09_22_03/index.shtml

Can't wait to see what they come up with!

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

• Does anyone have issues with consistent and high quality FM radio reception?

Some stations are clear, some are unlistenable.

I have a 2003 C-70.

Help!!

RichT.
    Rich, the quality depends on your location relative to the transmitter. Volvo's diversity antennas switch back and forth from the mast to the one in the bumper trying to find the best signal. It's really noticeable on mine when in ProLogic mode.
    I've been reading the XC90 posts and some have been saying that if you switch the mode FROM ProLogic to something else, the reception gets better.
    Hi guys:

I've got 64k on my 2000. I've now experienced a significant spot on the side of my steering wheel where the leather has been rubbed raw. Just wanted to see if anyone else has had a similar issue. Think I'll be dropping some money on a new wooden one since this is the case.
    Hi all:

I'm off to pick up our XC90. Tomrrow at 10:15pm CST I fly out and will be picking it up on Monday. I really think that I'm going to love this car for one simple reason....

LISA WILL LEAVE MY COUPE ALONE NOW AND IT WILL BE ALL MINE!!!!!

I've already told her that once the car is delivered to Chicago, I'm going to change all the memory buttons on the driver seat to my setting. Then if she ever asks why she doesn't have her settings in the coupe anymore, I'll simply say "Sweetheart, you do! The settings are in the passenger side."

Talk to you when I get back
    Have a great flight and trip. In Lisa's defense, you're got 3 memory settings, so I feel she should have one of them. On my drivers side, I'm #1, and the wife is #2. On the passenger side, She's #1 and I'm #2. How long will you be staying in Sweden, and how long will it take for the shipping back to the US?
    Sorry about your steering wheel. The wife's Lexus has wood on the steering wheel and it looks real good, but it just doesn't match the feel of the C70's wheel. Believe the C70's is a little larger in diameter and it just feels better to me. Have you considered just replacing it with another leather one? Bon Voyage!!
  • I also have a 2000 with a similar problem. I thought a mechanic might have accidently put something on the wheel when it was in for service. If you try to clear it, even with mild soap, it presents that worn look. Next time in, I was going to point it out. Don't know what you could do to fix it. Must be the treatment in the leather.
    job of cleaning my steering wheel. At times, mine gets really dirty. The Z takes it right off with no problems.
    Tommy:

Not sure about another leather wheel. May just go for the wood one. Got the wood one for the SUV because of my current one.

Itenerary:
    11/8 - Copenhagen Hilton
    11/9 &11/10 Goteborg
    11/10 - Prague Hilton
    11/11 - Vienna Hilton
    11/12 - Budapest Hilton
    11/13 - Cologne Hilton
    11/14 -> 11/19 Dublin with friends and golfing 3 times (Killarney, Lahinch, Royal Dublin)

Hiltons are free because of all my Hilton points. Lisa ate the other ticket that I had...sorry. ;)
  • My wife loves her '99 convertible so much she has become worried that with the C70 convertible being discontinued, she won't know what to get if anything happens to her car. She solved the problem and today traded her '99 on an '04. She figures she bought 5 more years of life and also made sure her car wouold be too "new" to be passed down to the kids when they start driving in a few years.

Since the '99 was being traded in, I decided to see if it had any trouble with an automatic (touchless) car wash. Other than the noise, interesting deformation of the top when it got to the air blowers and a little water dripping in in between the top and rear windows, there were no problems. I would not recommend it for every wash, but at least now I know when I am away for extended periods of time and cannot hand wash the car, my wife can run it through if necessary.
    Congrats on the new C70. What color did she get? The 04 Sky Blue is sweet. My Goldie has been in the shop for a week now getting a new top. It had to come from Sweden. Got a V70 as a loaner. A very nice ride.