Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo C70

Comments

• schuhcschuhc Posts: 333
    I've got a 2000 HPT coupe. 67k on it. Only had a brake calliper seize up on me. Other than that it's been great. No issues here.
  • tmarttmart Spring, TXPosts: 1,006
    My only major problem has been / is the top. Hadn't had any headlight problems when the recall was issued, and none after. Still using the bulbs Volvo put in during the recall from three years ago.
  • jcarpijcarpi Posts: 17
    I've got the 17" wheels on my 2000 HT coupe, 5 speed, and while they are great on the road, I find that they affect my turning radius in town, so much that I have difficulty making some U-turns that I think I should be able to make. Otherwise, I still love the car. I'm just down the road in Richmond, and have no trouble with the car in bad weather. Of course, I don't take it out when there's snow on the road, not that it couldn't handle it, but becuase I don't want the other goonies running into me when they can't stop on the ice!
    Trust me.... Two words for 17 inch individuals

SNOW

TIRES
  • Are the 17 inchers that much worse in the snow compared to the 16"? Do you get the snow tires on your 17" in Chicago? Is it worth the hassle to change them or just go with the 16"? I've got the 16" with new Potenza tires (as we have previously discussed) and they do well. Why the huge difference over just and inch?
    All I know is that the snow gets totally packed into my potenza's. I think I already related how I have to shovel my driveway almost clean in order to get up it, and it is not a steep grade at all. Now that we have the 90, I only drive the 70 when It is not too messy out as it does slip and slide a lot. I'd hate to think of what it would be like if it were RWD. My potenzas are like riding on rails in wet weather but snow really has an effect.
    I do plan on buying snow tires next year.
  • Well I got it! Not a club I wanted to join.

Right now the light is going out after each restart but coming back after 5 or ten minutes.

Car is out of warranty and don't have a grand for a new ETM Electronic Throttle Module right now.

I need to buy some time. Can anyone who has been down this road tell me how much time they had before they absolutley had to bring it to the dealer? I hear there is no warning to the ETM fully malfunctioning.

I love this car but the myriad of problems is putting a bad taste !!!

Thx

rd

99' C70 HTP M 43k Miles
    RD:

Well fortunately, or unfortuantely, I had the exact same problem about 3,000 miles ago ('00 HT 67k).

You basically have NO time. I noticed some hesitation in the car before the light actually came on. Once the light came on for me, it was all over. My understanding is that the computer will allow the car to drive at a slow speed so that you are able to get somewhere (for us that meant a blazing speed of ~15mph).

Luckily the dealership is close to us. I let the car sit for a bit and was able to get it there without the light coming back on.

Sorry. Probably not the news you were looking for. When you do get the new throttle body remember to hold onto that receipt (not that you wouldn't anyway, but I always throw mine out except for this one).

Sorry about the myriad of other problems. Did you buy this new or used? What other problems have you had as I've only had the throttle body, a frozen caliper, and the driver's side window.
  • Thanks schuhc,

There must various degrees of throttle module problems cause my performance is fine. Every time I start the car there is no ETS light. It comes On most of the time but not all the time during a drive.

I'm wondering if something else can throw an ETS light other than a faulty Throttle Module. I think I read one person say a clutch position sensor threw an ETS.

Also wondering if a bad batch of gas can throw an ETS.

Well we shall see. I beat a horse with my CEL problem and found it to be a bad MAF sensor with a code of P1171. Mail ordered the MAF for $162. , popped it in and never had another CEL. I'll say a prayer again.

It's a funny coincidence the ETS happened exactly on the five year anniversary of my car.

I't going to be interesting to see the longevity of these Fly-by-wire throttle modules.

rd
  • A few random notes for the recent posts and then I've got a question for anyone who is willing to respond.

I got a '99 HPT 1 year ago (Feb '03) and I love the car immensely. I agree with everyone's assessment here regarding the stereo...if you can, GET IT, it is MUCH, MUCH better than any of my friends luxury car systems (Mark Levinson Lexus, Harmon Kardon BMW, etc). That was actually one of the top selling points for me, and it's been a joy every day that I drive anywhere.

As an aside, I live in Houston, thus have no worries about snow, but I upgraded from the 17' wheels (actually they were stolen off the car:( ), to 18' with lower profile Pilot Points, and it looks incredible. I regularly get comments from people. Also, the handling is noticeably better...but with a bit of sacrifice to the ride quality.

Regarding the ETS: I bought the car with 60K miles on it, certified to 100K with their extended warranty, and the ETS light came on within a month of my buying the vehicle. For whatever reason, I didn't take it in for almost 6 months, but didn't notice any difference in performance during that span. So, if you aren't noticing any issues right now I'd say you can wait until it's affordable for you to get repaired.

Here is the question I have for anyone to respond. After taking my car in for the aforementioned ETS repair in Sept, I've had to take the car in for 3 additional repairs and again today, with the last 4 repairs all coming since mid December. Has anyone else had this frequent of problems with their vehicle? At this point I'm rather suspicious that entirely new problems crop up within weeks of getting something "repaired." I've had both seats fixed (both, separately, got stuck in the full forward position), the heater blower motor replaced and now, the driver's side window is locked in the down position.

Does any of this sound familiar or does anyone know of any recourse I can take? Also, has anyone else dealt with Demontrond Volvo off of 45 N in Houston?

I love my car, but Volvo is close to losing me as a customer if this is what I can expect.

Thanks very much in advance.
    I, too, have a '99, but it's an LPT convertible, and thus far none of the problems mentioned. Knock on wood. Bought mine new from Demontrond and have been satisfied with their service. My present problem is with the top. It was replaced in December, and then a motor went out. Took about two weeks for the part to come in, and they've had the car for a week now. Have an S60 loaner so I'm not complaining.
  • Matt:

We had a '99 (just recently traded for an '04) but never had a frequency problem. We did have both seats get stuck forward, but that was a known problem and they occurred several months apart. I believe a redesigned clip fixed this issue and presume your car never experienced the problem before. What happens is a spring pops off so the mechanism never realizes the seat back has been pushed back into the normal position. Without this reading the seat functions are disabled for everything but moving forward. There is a switch just underneat you can push & hold with a pen or small screwdriver while moving the seat back. We did that until we had time to take it in for repair.

Dealer issues: Houston, like Dallas, should have a few dealers to choose from. We found a world of difference in the three closest dealers. There was something we liked about each, but each had their problems. Ultimately we found the best dealer around was in Fort Worth where we got the '04. Even though it is a farther drive, we will go there for service as I feel much more confident in the quality and attention we get from the MECHANICS not just the service writer. May have something to do with that dealership still being family owned and not one of the big nationwide outfits.
    Hi:

Quick note. Just spent $950 on the drivers side window regulator. Evidently it's known that the cable/mechanism becomes worn over time. Not sure if this has anything to do with yours not working.
  • jcarpijcarpi Posts: 17
    I am also encountering the driver's side window problem, and have been avoiding it by not putting it all the way down. Is $950 about the average cost of repairing this? My 2000 HT coupe has only 38k on it, so at least I shouldn't have to worry yet about the ETS, right? Is it a mileage thing, or an age thing?
  • Trader,

Your window sounds like the shot infamous window switch. Does it go one down but not up? If so it's probably your switch.

My passenger seatback also locked in the forward position. I will never again lock the seatbacks in place to let someone in the back. Just hold the seats about 95 % of the way forward.

I am glad to hear someone was able to ride around witht the ETS for some time. Need to buy some time. The funny thing is that the manual states to bring the car in to the dealer if the ETS stays On after restart but not if it's intermittent. Strange.

Also strange is that my mileage has jumped from 19 to 22 since the ETS lamp came on. I dunno.

thx

rd
    I see you have a '00 and are under 40k. Has the warranty run out years-wise? If not, take that sucker in!

and yes.
    $450 for the part and about $500 for the labor as they have to take the door apart to get the regulator out.
  • jcarp,

Look for these weak points :

- OEM battery may fail with no warning at 45 months exact.

- CEL from a bad MAF at 48 months.

- ETS lamp at 60 months.

- Upper engine mount rubber bushing at 24 months.

- Climate control recirc mode lever breaks anytime.

There are a few more when I get a chance.

rd
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,501
    48 months isn't unusual for battery failure though, especially on modern cars with all their accessories.

• jrosasmcjrosasmc Posts: 1,704
    To those who own C70s: I didn't know these cars were essentially hand-built. They really do build them the old-fashioned way? I thought they were built alongside the S60s, V70s, etc. in Ghent or Goteborg.
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    Cars are built at the Uddevala plant.
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Posts: 1,704
    I never heard of Uddevala
  • for all of your comments. After looking around at used cars for a few weeks and not finding any clean low miles cars, I found that with all the incentives and a slow month at my local dealer, I could get a new car for almost the same as what 2002 and 2003s are being advertised for. I took delivery on my titanium gray LPT last night. She's a beauty with light gray interior and the kickin' 901 sound system. I took the 17 inch wheels and will enjoy them this summer. Let's hope I can get through the last few weeks of winter!
    Jrosamc:

Jrosamc... My understnading is that they were put together in the Uddevala plant that was originally a joint venture between Volvo and Tom Walkinshaw Racing. In 2000 the workers went on strike because there was a pay dispute. Ideally, Volvo would pay Walkinshaw who was to pay the workers however there were issues around that. I learned that the hard way when I ordered mine in March of 2000 and 1 week later the plant went on strike. Volvo ended up buying out the Walkinshaw interest in the plant, kept the workers and they have been produced there ever since. I believe there are 1 or two more plants that may produce them but I am unclear on that.

dcblues
    Congrats. You're gonna love it! Especially that stereo system. CAREFUL ON 50 DURING THE WINTER WITH THOSE 17 INCHERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Congrats, too, on the LPT. Don't remember if you were looking for converts or coupes. If you got the convert, which I have, I STRONGLY recommend geting the wind deflector. It's pricey, but well worth the many dollars. You will definitely enjoy the SC-901. Ya done good!

Goldie came back home this afternoon! Now if it would just stop raining she could go topless!!
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    Is the only plant that produces the C70.
    That is the only car that they build.
    Pininfarina now has control of the plant for producing the C70 replacement code named C50.
    The plant is not far from the main Torslanda facility.
  • hey there, im in montreal, the weather getts real cold, and in the fall when the temp was at 32, the car stalled a few times, had it checked. it was the "mass air...something" during the winter, it never stalled, now that it's around 32 degrees again, it stalled tonight....?
    anyone have this happen to them ?
    (i was driving on the highway, i have the 98 coupe T5)
    should i get the same problem repaired again/get rid of it ?
  • traderagtraderag Posts: 8
    For all of the responses. I have continually forgotten to get back on here to see the feedback.

Yes, it was the window switch and it apparently is a common problem. We're now going on 3 weeks of no new problems, so maybe I'll catch a break. LOL.

In response to the burned CD problem, I would add that it's helpful to buy BLACK (bottom) discs. That was a hint passed onto me by a major audiophile friend (500 Gigs of music on disk), and it's helped. Discs that wouldn't play with a silver CD-R, play with the black CD-R. Supposedly it has something to do with the optical being able to read the tracks much easier.

Also, what is the deal with a new coupe design?? I had heard/read somewhere that a new design of the C70 was due soon. Is that the C50 referenced above? If so, is there anywhere to see an early concept of it?
    Cool....Something I had not heard.

As for the C50...
    I have scoured the web and seen nothing. I do know that my salesman showed me a small picture of it (about 4x6) from something that he had received from Volvo. Other than that I have not been able to find anything. I'm sure your saleman would have a picture of it.

Was talking to the service guys last weekend and they have been RAVING about the new S40. Evidently it's been suped up a bit (I hear 240hp)
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,194
    interesting. At one point I bought a pack of multi-colored CDs made by Maxell. I found that the black cds could not be read at all by my S70. The other darker colors like red and purple also gave me alot of difficulty. Any particular CDs your friend uses? Maybe its not so much a color problem as a production quality problem.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

• traderagtraderag Posts: 8
    By the way, the discs I use are Memorex, Black, CD-R up to 16X speed.

They aren't perfect, but I would say that 85% - 90% of the burned discs I have that are on the black CD-Rs, play on the 901 system.