Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo C70

Comments

• tmarttmart Posts: 998
    Yeah, she's a coming...and we're scheduled to fly to the Carolinas Thursday too!
  • schuhcschuhc Posts: 333
    or swim?

Lis was nice enough to let us go to Myrtle Beach for the 'Honeymoon' knowing that we would be going to Italy in 2003. If you never have, make sure you stop in Charleston for the day.
    Magnolia Cafe for Lunch (185 E. Bay St.)
    Think the place we went out of business.

Have fun. The Norman course at Barefoot is really nice
    North Myrtle Beach is where we're headed. We're originally from SC. So far, the flight hasn't been canceled. Will be calling them later today.
    I'm sure you'll get out ok.
    Have fun. I'll let you know about the Bridgestones when you get back. Unless, of course, Lili has wiped out your isp.
    Long comment short.
    No issue with dry
    No issue with wet.
    Unless they don't last long, as of right now (500 miles) I don't know why I'd pay $90 more per tire for Michelin.
  • agcpaagcpa Posts: 4
    Have just recently purchased a 2002 C70. Enjoy it very much. Was advised to get a wind screen/deflector, which fits in the back and is supposed to cut down on the flow and noise. Two questions: 1) Do they really work? 2) How much should this accessory cost? (I was originally told about $200-250, but when I went to the dealer I was told $420 and that they would have to special order the item; does this sound right?)

Thanks
    Agcpa,
    1) Yes, it really does work. So well, it really should be standard.

2) I've got a '99 and it was $350 after tax. Of the four dealers in Houston, one had it in stock. The other three said they could have it in in two to four days. Interestingly, all four had it priced the same. I understand there was a change on the '02 and '03's from the prior years, but $420 still sounds high to me. Think it has to do with the mounting holes in back. Have seen them a couple of times on Ebay, so you might get lucky. As I recall they went for less than $250. Unfortunately, I had already bought mine when the first one came up. Use "Volvo C70" in the search window.

It's pricey, but definitely worth the money. You won't regret it.
  • I'm considering buying a '99 C70 R. Anyone know what the "R" means? I've never seen it referenced in any of the messages here, nor in any ads.

Any suggestions on what to look carefully at before I purchase? Seems to be in great shape, not a blemish on it, 33K miles, has the premium sound system, Pirelli tires.

Thanks for any advice.
    I could be wrong, but I think it means someone bought the "R" from IPD and stuck it on the back. I have a '99 convertible, and as you noted, I haven't seen the "R" mentioned anywhere in Volvo's publications. Only place I've seen it mentioned was in the IPD catalog. I believe Volvo is going make an "R" version for the S60 though. Are you considering the convertible or the coupe?
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,895
    as far as I know, the last R offered to us was the '97 850 R sedan. Is this at a dealer or is it private sale? If its private sale, I would definitely question them on it. If its at a dealer, depends if its a Volvo dealer or not. A Volvo dealer should know better.

There is a possibility that it has been modified and the owner felt the "R" was an appropriate way to advertise that. And if its modified, I might be cautious about buying it.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

• volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    There was/is no C70 R.
    The emblem is available in the parts
    I modified my 2002 coupe, put on the ipd exhaust, k&n filter and 18" wheels, stuck the R badge on it.
    Bottom line, quiz the owner, see why he put the badge on it
  • My wife has a '99 convertible that has only been hand washed (by me) since new. I've been traveling more recently and she wants to run the car through an automatic car wash. Has anyone routinely run their convertible through a "soft touch" or "touchless" car wash? If so, any problems or issues regarding water penetration or top damage?

With respect to the "'99R", be careful. There was an situation in Dallas where a salvaged Honda (wrecked) was resold with the Honda accessory R badge without disclosing the rebuild. When a civil action was brought against the used car dealer, his defense was he disclosed the fact that the vehicle was reconditioned, that is what the R meant. Don't know how the case eventually turned out, it was related to me by a judge who heard about it from a colleague.
    Don't think the wash would hurt the car or top, but my concerns would be water penetration between the windows. Maybe they could add a leather cleaner/conditioner to the final rinse cycle!

"R" meaning reconditioned. That's a good one! I might have to call IPD!
  • The C70 R is a convertible, offered by Carmax. Decided to get it today, but Carmax has a five-day return. Did the simple version of the CARFAX, as well as talked to Volvo. Car has never been wrecked, salvaged or reconditioned according to those two sources. Volvo said every recall item was repaired. Drove 100+ miles today and really like the car, despite constant rain. Figure if its good in that condition, it will be great in the sunshine.

Will take it to a Volvo dealer in the next day and get it looked over, however.
    more when the sun comes out! That one touch top is amazing to watch in action, plus there's no cover to mess with. From personal experience, I recommend you get the Volvo wind screen. It will be money well spent. I can't believe the difference it makes, and really adds to the enjoyment of going "topless"!
  • Checked out the ipd site, and found a custom rear spoiler that is on my c70 "R" model. i bet the previous owner added that and maybe some other stuff along with the "R". I'll have a mechanic look for other "enhancements". Thanks for the tip.

You guys are right, though. The C70 is a great car to drive. I'm having a blast. Stereo is terrific, seats comfortable, drive is nice and smooth. My kids - 13 and 10 -- are already lobbying for it to be "their" car when they are of age. I told them I'll probably be out of the convertible stage by then, and buy a station wagon. :)
    The things I miss when I don't look at this post regularly!!!!!!!
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    Glad your enjoying your R!
    As for the carwash we have an autowash at our store,the convertibles have no problem going thru it.
  • I am in the market for a luxury convertible, although it will be a used one. I pretty much have narrowed it down to the BMW 3 series or the C70. I have read posts on both sites, but buying a used C70 concerns me if Volvo stops producing them next year. Is that reliable info? I am interested in comfort and nice ride, and it seems that the C70 is the best option. Any advice? Should I spend the additional on a new one? Thanks in advance!
    Yes it's true Volvo will stop producing the C70, but I wouldn't let that stop you getting one. Most all the stuff is basically interchangeable, except for the sheet metal. Just look at all the 740 and 240's still around. As far as comfort goes, the C70 is one fine ride, plus it's a true four passender. If dollars are not a problem, go for the new, otherwise go used. Good Luck and let us know what you decide.