Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo C70

Comments

• I have a 99 LT Coupe with 67k miles on the car. This car has been a headache since I bought it with 5k on it. Over the past few months, I've been noticing a ticking noise in the engine. I had Volvo look at it, and they said it was due to worn seal gaskets in the oil pan. So I had the gaskets replaced, at a cost of $400. Unfortunately, the ticking noise still exists, and I'm being told it's probably due to bad lifters, which is going to cost more than the $400 it cost to fix the gaskets in the oil pan. I've changed the oil and taken care of the engine. Has anyone had or heard of this problem at this mileage or do I just have a lemon? Anyone have any idea how much it would cost to replace lifters? Thanks to all...
  • Hi. My light pressure turbo C70 is in need of new tires. Anyone have any suggestions as to which brand or which model would be best? In your experience, which tires have worked for the C70 and which have not? The wheels are 17 inches and I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. Thanks.
  • justinjustin Posts: 1,918
    taking a friend to look at C70 convertibles and Saab 9-3 convertibles this weekend. i have tried to get her to consider the A4, but she won't hear of it.

anyway, is the C70 (01 - 03) a good buy? gonna be a good car? i am asking the same question in the Saab forum.

Thanks!
  • schuhcschuhc Posts: 333
    Tires....
    Go to tirerack.com. I bought the 17" Bridgestone Potenza's for my HT and they were better than the Pilot's in wet and the tread has worn very evenly.

01-03 is a good buy depending on the miles (yes. obviously I have an amazing grasp of the obvious) I would reccomend that she goes for one (no matter what model) that will throw in the extra 100k warranty. I did not get it for my 00 coupe and regret it only because of regular maintenance type issues (windows, throttle body, frozen brake caliper).
  • Well my C70 convert is back in the dealer's shop AGAIN for noise and rattles! Fifth time back to the dealer since I purchased it on 5/15/04. It is a great looking car. Seats comfy. But noisy and in my opinion an overpriced piece of junk! Anybody else have this many problems?
  • tmarttmart Spring, TXPosts: 1,006
    Sorry to hear you're having problems, especially on one so new. What kind of noise and rattles are you experiencing? My '99 still seems quiet to me. No wind noise with the top up at all, and no appreciable rattles, but after all, it is a convertible.
  • otisotis Posts: 12
    Justin,
    I did extensive research before leasing my '04 C70 including comparing it to the Saab and Audi. Some bad mechanical reviews on Edmunds made me cautious about the Volvo, but after 6 months I couldn't be happier with this car. None of the problems listed here have cropped up...but I only have 6,000 miles on it so far. I suspect that like every car line, you get some "friday cars"...ones that just have something go wrong all the time and the fixes seem dubious. If you are looking at a used C70 then the maintenance history and extended warranty are a must. One thing in your favor with considering the C70 might be it's moderate depreciation rate (much higher than say a BMW 3 series) so a '00-'01 might only be worth 1/2 it's original sale price. My 3 year residual value at lease time was right around 50%...so a used '01 with 35-40,000 miles should be stickered in the low $20K range (maybe). Also check on leasing new or leasing a program or early returned(from lease) car...Jaguar sometimes does this, and the savings can be significant. In the end my C70 costs me around 480/mo and that was a lot lower than the Audi and I love the look, feel, drive of this car. Good luck.
  • i was at demontrond volvo today looking to buy a certified pre-owned C70. how have your experiences been with them since your posting?

i'm looking at a '02 HPT. any problems with your car more recently? anything you wish you were told before your purchase?
  • uv4meuv4me Posts: 22
    I'm in the market for a convertible sedan with decent rear legroom for my two small co-pilots. Thinking around 30k is the budget....so do I get a 02-03 C70 or look at the Toyota Solara? I've looked at the Bimmers but worry about expensive upkeep down the road. Audi and Saab seem tight in back and the Sebring is junk. Any thoughts?
    The C70 is a true four passenger car with a real back seat. There's more rear headroom than in my wife's ES300. How old are your two small co-pilots? In and out of a car seat would be a pain and some think the seat travel time is too slow.
  • I have thoroughly enjoyed reading the last 30 pages of postings over the past day. It seems like you are definitely proud car owners and you guys have given me enough info now to buy with confidence.

problem is there aren't very many out there to choose from (i am buying used) and i am pretty picky about colors.

Came across a listing for a '01 C70 LT conv. with 72K miles on it already. It is my second color choice. Asking price is $22K, but i can probably get them down to $19K.

Do you guys think this car is basically ragged out? Is it possible to rag out a Volvo? This car has been driven approx. 24K mi/year over the past 3 years and there is no extended warranty. is the $7K in savings worth the risk?

Any comments/problems from C70 owners out there that have hit 70-100K mi?

Besides checking carfax, maintenance records, tires/rims, leaks from the turbo, and replacement of belts - is there anything else i need to know in order to make an educated decision?

thanks in advance and hopefully i'll be visiting a lot more often!
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    A Volvo w/ 72k miles is far from ragged out.
    Make sure the current owner has done all the maintenance though.
  • thanks for your input, volvomax. just concerned that it is bad for the engine to put that many miles on a car that quickly.
    As volvomax said however....
    -see if you can get the dealer to 'throw in' the extended warranty.
    -check to see if the throttle body has been replaced yet.
    -see if any maintenance has been done on the two front windows.
    -ask if they have checked the ABS sensors and find out what condition they are in.
    -take a close look at the sides of the steering wheel to see what condition it is in.
  • Test drove an '04 LT Convertible today. Had a different feel than my '02 Coupe. Are the suspensions the same between the 2? Any differences?
    The convertibles have a Comfort suspension and the coupes have a Sport suspension. Or...the coupe is firmer than the convertible. Different shocks, springs, etc.
  • Hi Tmart. Is the different suspension why the Convertible comes standard with 16" wheels and the coupe with 17" wheels? Was thinking of getting 16" for the coupe for the winter and was wondering if compatible.
    16 inch wheels for the coupe in winter would be smart (at least that's the recommendation coming from Chicago).

I believe, and I may be off on this, that the 16" wheels come standard with the LT and the 17" with the HT. Regardless if it is a coupe or convertible. (At least that's what it was like in 2000)
    Craig, you're probably right on the sizes. The 17's were optional on my '99 LT convertible. You still planning a road trip south?
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    there is also the issue of a 500 lb weight difference and the coupe's stiffer chassis.
  • I test drove a 2000 C70 Convert HP with about 30k miles today ... great looking car!

A few things really struck me though and I love to hear from some owners.

I'm looking for a true 4 seat convertible and have narrowed the field, pretty much to the Sebring. I'd really like a 'nicer' car though.

The C70 had a lot of cowl shake, the steering wheel, rear view mirror and trunk were all moving in different directions on uneven pavement, even at low speeds. The salesman swears it didn't do that the last time he was in the car...and that something must be wrong. It was really loose, the rental return Sebrings I've driven are much more solid. Are they all that loose?

Second, the top, though very cool, takes a long time to put up and down. It also looks like a very complex mechanism. How reliable are they and does the up/down time ever cause a problem.

Third, rear seat access. The mechanism that moves the seat forward to allow access to the rear moved very slowly, is this normal? Once forward, the access seems fine but, it took forever.

The car also seemed sluggish from a stop. Once the engine got to 2000 rpms, the thrust was great, until then, it really felt slow. Again, is that normal? Does the low pressure turbo have the same throttle response?

Thanks for your insight
    Tmart will be able to comment on the convertible aspects, but I have a 00 HT Coupe.

1. Don't know about the steering wheel and trunk, but unless you have a constant seizure, that rear view mirror is always gonna look hippity Hop. Mine is usually because I've got the stereo too loud but yes....You can count on that being a constant.
    2. Tommy
    3. Unless you are still moving the seat back to it's normal position, then your seat is faster than normal. Yes the electronic seats move about as fast as the 'Heads' on Easter Island move. You can count on that being a constant as well.
    4. The LT is good off the line. You will eventually find a comfort level with the HT and be able to take if off the line quicker but the great thing about the HT is the turbo when you're passing. If you're doing 40mph and you want a little kick....that thing will move faster than then TMart's Astros moved up the Wild Card rankings in the month of September.

Tommy... Still debating about the trip. Not sure we have enough "Baby Einstein" videos to play in the XC90 for 16 hours before Squeaker starts screaming her brains out. If we do it, we may have to fly down. I'll give you a holler.

GO CUBS!
    I've not yet figured out the cowl shake thing. I just don't see or feel things moving when going over railroad tracks, etc. Maybe my 99 LT convertible is unusually tight. I just don't experience it, even when rr tracks make the CD player skip.
    The top operation is very complex and poetry in motion. Believe the top time is approx. 30 seconds, up or down. Down time is not a problem. The only problem with the up time is when surprised by a sudden shower and there's nothing to park under. The 30 seconds seem like forever! Fortunately, I've only been caught twice in 4+ years. Not really sure how to address the reliability aspect. Last January a new top was installed (under warranty). The top had to come from Sweden! My dealership said it was the first one they've replaced. So far no further top problems.
    I've not driven a HT, coupe or convert, so I can't speak to it's off the line acceleration. However, the LT is faster off the line than the HT....up to around 35 to 40, then the HT shines. The LT has a larger engine and delivers more torque at lower RPM's, but once the HT's turbo gets going, even with the smaller engine, it's no contest.
    Be sure to get one with the SC-901 Dolby Surround System. It IS worth the extra dollars.
  • Any ideas as to what I should use to lubricate the window seals / door jambs? My car squeaks a bit over bumps. I know that some is normal, but I would like to reduce it as much as possible.
    a month!! Has everyone pulled a Soledoc??
    I just think what it means is that with 1133 posts, no one needs to ask a question of the experts anymore.

Bet Soledoc's ears are ringing right abot now.
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    I'm quite certain it will heat up when the all new C70 hits.
  • Time to chime in--Just took delivery of an '04 LPT in white/beige. Also have an '02 V70 2.4t in the driveway. DW has always admired the C70 and we downsized from a Tribute to the convertible(using the V70 as the Home Depot workhorse now). Past ragtops were a VW Cabrio and Miata(for 9 years). The C70 is WAY grown up compared to those(albeit at twice the price!). One Epinions reviewer knocked the C70 from stem to stern...everyone is entitled to an opinion, but some points had validity. The drive feel is similar to the V70 in that the comfy ride at mild speed/cornering makes for less-than-secure footing/feel at more energetic speeds...not a terrible trade-off. Also, the vibration/noise is a touch greater than we hoped for but we have made one change that has made a big difference. Our C70 came with 'upgraded' 17" wheels and P6000 tires which made for a very sensitive ride over imperfect pavement. We swapped the 'bling-bling' wheels/tires for the 16" set up from the wagon--quite a difference! The wagon handles a little tighter and the convertible is smoother, especially during cornering on roughish pavement. Just a couple of other nits but I'll check in as we put on more miles. BTW, the prices in Atlanta(Nalley) are quite aggressive...our deal was approx. $8k off sticker.
    Good move on getting rid of the P6000's as there is usually nothing good said about them. You would notice a huge difference going back to the 17". I dropped my Michelins after 45k and put on Bridgestone Potenza's which handle much better in the wet.