Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo C70

Comments

• I'm going to need to get tires pretty soon after I get the car(i'm in NY and winter is almost upon us). It has 17" rims, i need a decent tire, don't have a fortune to spend on them, but not going to buy the cheapest either. Tread life and traction are important, but mostly important is sidewall strength(again, live in NY, land of the pot holes, if i keep getting flats i will shoot myself).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

PS-How much would the 15k miles check up be at a Volvo service center?
  • I've noticed a couple of times, when I cycle through the trip computer(like this morning), that when i stop on one of the items, the display says DISC and all of the tabs are highlighted(the little black marker that tells you what selection your on, all of them come on). when i go and switch to another one, it will be fine. just wondering if this is something i should get checked out and if anyone else has experienced this?
  • That trip computer gremlin is new to me...haven't seen it in our 4K miles. BTW, one of the things I miss comparing our V70 with the new C70 is the little pocket on the front of the seats...good for spare sunglasses, pen, maglite, etc. Would come in handy with the limited storage available.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,689
    this is VERY common. This happens with age as the connectors inside the switch get dirty. There are a couple of things you can do. The first and easiest is to quickly cycle the switch all the way clockwise and counterclockwise several times very quickly. This will help to clean the contacts. The other you can do is remove the switch, take it apart, and manually clean the contacts. But, rest assured, its not a big deal and will not hurt anything, nor will it cost you money.

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

• volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    Very attractive car!

From the front it looks like the S40, although the center of the fron bumper juts out a little.

The rear tailights are like the S40's only wider, the trunk opening is narrower.

Inside 4 seats, room looked good in the back.

S40's dash is carried over.

In profile the car had a more wedge shape than the current C70.

With the metal roof up it was very attractive as well, looks like a new CLK.

The bad news, probably won't see the car until spring of 2006.
  • I'm considering a pristine 1999 C70. The original owner doesn't know if the engine is 2.3 or 2.4 liters; owners' manual and all obvious plates and tags are no help. Short of having a dealer check the VIN is there simple way to determine engine displacement?
    when you say obvious plates and tags, are you also including those under the hood?

• tmarttmart Spring, TXPosts: 1,026
    You can check the VIN number yourself. If it has ...NC56... it is the low turbo engine with 2.4 liters.
  • schuhcschuhc Posts: 333
    Tell the owner that you need to take it for a spin.

Take if off the line and if winds up pretty easy and goes, chances are it's a 2.4

Then cruising at 30mph, hit it. If it puts you in the back seat it's a 2.3.

If in doubt....repeat until satisfied.
    Craig, I like your way of thinking!! Did you go to the Bears game last weekend? Could not believe how cold it was there. Go Texans! Don't know how y'all handle that kind of weather for months and months. It's freezing down here at night and way too cold for topless driving. The butt warmers are getting a workout. There's even a chance of that white stuff Christmas Eve. We're use to wearing shorts and short sleeves at Christmas and having the AC on. Hope you have a Merry and Safe Christmas.
    Merry Christmas to everyone! Tmart
  • Hi everyone, I own a C70, bought for me by my husband, in the garage Xmas day last year (better than the Lexus commercial!). I LOVE this car, only about 9K miles, haven't had one little problem with it, with the exception that I couldn't get out of the driveway with the performance tires it came with in the snow, but that's a different topic. Anyway, yesterday I was in an accident, hit on the passenger front side, I was going about 5mph - they were going at least 55. It's not a pretty picture - there is no body on the whole front of the car both passenger and drivers side,the top piece of metal on the passenger side front is bent into the engine compartment. (does this go the whole way down the side - if so, it's definately totaled...)Of course with the holiday I have to wait until Mon to see what the insurance company says. So here's the thing - suppose it's not totaled. Do I get the car fixed and keep it? Will it ever be the same? If it's totaled, what's the situation with the value - I owe about 28K on it. I love the convertible, I truely love this car and if it's totaled, I will look at the A4 but I honestly think I will be buying another Volvo. I owned a Sebring conv. before this one, and there is no comparison.
  • Sounds totaled to me. There seem to be a few new '04s left here in Atlanta(and today was PERFECT topless weather!). Give Nalley Volvo a call after you talk with the insurance folks! Glad you're OK(you are, aren't you?). Good luck!
  • Thanks for the info. I'm okay, just a little banged up. Could have been a lot worse, and the ROPS was activated, but I never actually flipped over. Fortunately the other car was a Volvo too. They also walked away. I live in PA, there are very few C70s around.
    Angelah:

If you talk to a dealer, they will ship in one for you. Anything for a sale. 28k should be fine if it's totaled with only 9k miles on it.

Tommy:

It was unbelievably cold last week and I had two friends that actually went to that game. Morons! Fortunately for me I was born and raised in Indianapolis so I'm a Colts fan. Not sure we'll be able to get passed the Pats or Steelers and not looking forward to next year as those Texans just get better and better.

Happy New Year.
  • otisotis Posts: 12
    Volvomax,

Did you see the C70 in person (like at a show) or on the net. Thanks for the good description. I'd like to look it up myself if you saw it at some website. Reply here about where I should look. Google searches lately have turned up only older websites and 'artists' descriptions.
    I saw the car at a Volvo meeting on video.

Volvo isn't going to release any shots of the car for quite a while yet.
    So...driving in today hit one of those pothole thingy's that we tend to get in Chicago.

KaBlam...there goes the Potenzas (but I was replacing them in 1,500 miles anyway). Got about 40,000 out of them so can't complain. While waiting for the flatbed, called Discount Tire, ordered 4 Falkens at $110 a pop installed. They found 4 about 80 miles away and got them there at 3:00 and I was out the door at 4:15.

DiscountTire Company = Great

Falkens = I'll let you know but they have a Consumer Report's Best Buy.
    We use Falkens as a replacement tire.

Quite good actually.
    Craig, sorry to hear of your blowout. Hopefully no damage was done. Did you buy the warranty from Discount? Mine have paid for themselves.
    Couldn't be happier...

There was 1/64th of an inch of snow on my driveway today and they actually made it up without an issue.

Did get the warranty.

Much quieter than the Bridgestones when I had gotten them. Very smooth.
  • escaladaescalada Posts: 3
    I have my passenger seat stuck forward, I have read that is a fairly common problem, and that there is a switch underneath to be press and I could move it back. Have you heard about it?
    Also my driver seat is completely cracked, I took it to a detailer and they used something that made the leather stiff and it cracked, which other volvo models uses the same leather seats?
    How much could it be to replace just the leather?
    What year is your C70? I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not.

But, as far as I know, the S70, V70, and C70 all used the same seats. At least, that's what it seemed like to me when I sat in a 2003 C70 at an auto show (felt the same as my '98 S70).

• dfwk2500dfwk2500 Posts: 68
    We had this problem with both seats on our '99 Convertible. A spring falls out and leaves the seat thinking it is leaning forward for the automatic mechanism to bring it forward, thus disabling the control panel. To have the seat think it is back in the upright position and thus allow the the controls to work temporarily, you need to trigger the switch with a small screwdriver. I can't remember which side the switch is on, but I remember coming at it from the lower back right where the side "leather" meets the bottom of the back. IThe part you want to push is metal, straight back about 4-6 inches and is about one inch long and 1/8 inch wide, positioned vertically. You press this switch and the controls work. Once you let go, the seat thinks it is leaned forward and and the controls will be disabled again. Both our seats were fixed no charge but I don't know if it was the result of a TSB or warranty. Have not had that problem with our '04. I hope this makes some sense.
  • dmac5dmac5 Posts: 1
    I just leased on 04 and love it, but the front wheels get dirty right away. Unfortunately I got the multi spoke wheel which is difficult to clean. The dealer warned me against the brake dust covers. I'm wondering if I should pay for chrome 5 spoke narrow wheels that won't show as much dust. Any ideas?
    Dmac, Welcome to the club! Suggest you go to the Owners Club, Volvo Owners Club, Volvo Owners: Problems and Solutions and read posts 145 thru 149. Bottom line is I don't think the new wheels will help much, if any.
  • otis4otis4 Posts: 14
    Dmac. Also welcome. Like you, I have a 04 C70 on lease (comming up on 12 months) and we also love our choice and it has been problem free. When you say 'multi spoke' I assume you mean the Cratos style wheels. The $1,000 upgrade wheels are called Propus. I thought the Propus looked nicer, but not 1K nicer, so I, too, have to clean the rims a lot. I don't think I'd ever buy a second set of wheels for a car I am leasing (We don't get much snow here in Atlanta). A cheep way to address your problem is to get a really thin tire-brush from a store like Target or WalMart in the auto parts section. For $10 I got a thin bendable nylon brush that works great and I get through the rims in about 3 minutes each. Not a bad investment to get the car to look soooo great when it's clean! The brush lasted a year before self destructing because the 'slots' in the wheels are so thin, but I hate that brake dust too. TMart makes it sound like the rims get dirty no matter which ones you have. Enjoy that C70....it's the last of the breed.
    Otis4, I have the Propus wheels. They came on the car, I didn't order them. According to the sticker, they were a $1500 upgrade in '99. They ARE beautiful when clean, but a real PITA to keep them that way. The fronts are about four times worse than the rears. Will look for the really thin tire brush when at Target or Walmart. The one I have now does OK but I wind up using my finger to clean the tight angles. The brake dust problem was why I posted #145 on the Problems board.
  • otis4otis4 Posts: 14
    TMart, what, do you "live" on this message board? I didn't even have time to sign off when I saw your reply pop up! In the end, keeping the car and wheels clean comes down to how fanatical we are about our cars. Finding ways to make the usual stuff happen quicker is about the best we can do. While I have your attention, let me ask about cleaning the interior of my C70. What have you found to be best on the door vynil, dashboard, and boot? Mine are not too dirty, but do have some body oils (doors) and road grit from top down motoring. Thanks.
    Otis4, for the interior I use Zaino products, the Leather Cleaner (works on vinyl too) and the Conditioner. On the exterior I use Z2 with ZFX, followed with Z6.