Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo C70

Comments

• I have a 2007 c70 targeted for a 9/6/06 delivery. While in Sweden last week I was visting friends near the Volvo plant in Udevalla. I managed with to get a tour of the factory where the C70 is produced. This car is literally hand built, with only 90 being produced each day. The tour lasted two and a half hours and I was able to get to talk with some of the employees on the production line. These people are taking a lot of pride in their work.

I had previously been supplied with the VIN number of the car I am buying and had it with me. I mentioned this to our tour director and the unit was actually in production on the day I was there. Once the vehicle was located we were taken to a separate area where the car was being fined tuned for the alignment of the top mechanism. Pictures were taken of us during the tour and I am waiting for them to be emailed to me.

I cannot say enough about the friendliness of the employees their willingness to share information about the car.
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    make sure the shifter is really in Park, and the shifter button has released all the way.
    If not, this will prevent the car from starting because the car thinks it is in gear.
  • nickscottnickscott Posts: 3
    I picked up my 2006 c70 2 weeks ago. This car is beautiful. I bought a magic blue with the calcite cream leather interior. I must say everything is perfect about this car. The stereo is great, the nav system is so user friendly, my IPOD adapter makes listening to my music easy, the Volvo hands-free with bluetooth phone adapter makes it easy to keep in touch while on the road...and impresses others while in traffic and the car has good pick-up. The 18 inch Mirzam wheels look great and I love the way the Bi-Xenon Headlamps look during the day and night. I got mine fully loaded and it really is worth all the money I paid for it.
    This week I had to go to Volvo because I heard a strange rattling in my front driver's side tire and it turned out to be a loose bolt which they fixed. The one thing I noticed is when the top is down, right behind the rear seats, on the boot cover, there are two little circles that seem to be burn marks. They are, I think from the rear defroster being on and then opening the top. The boot cover must press against the heater for the back window defogger. Another convertible owner had the same occurence but her's were less pronounced than mine but she definitely had the same problem. Volvo is working on a fix and will replace the boot cover when they figure it all out. This problem would not deter me in the least from buying a c70 but I would not run the rear defogger and then open the top. Anyone else have this problem?...just curious.
    The circles are from the top mechanism pressing down on the boot cover.
    Volvo is working on new pads for that part of the top.
  • whecwhec Posts: 5
    Many Thanks for suggestions. Still "no-go" so local dealer ordered new "Ignition Lock Cylinder Assembly" ($128.87) from Germany and was just replaced ($180), and now all systems "GO". Claims they replace 5-6 of these locks a year. Car involved is a 1998 C70, 47,162 miles. Dealer not sure of cause of failure, but normally on higher mileage car. Certainly disables everything. Was lucky car in home garage at time. :(
  • smartkidsmartkid Posts: 5
    Its funny that the part is from Germany when Volvo cars are from Sweden. Maybe you should ask the dealer about the reliabiltity and safety of using this part with a Volvo.
  • I just bought an '01 C70 HPT (50K miles) and need advice on 3 things:

First - does the High Pressure Turbo require premium fuel? I'm hearing that it does not. In fact a salesman at a Volvo dealership told me that they sell all new volvos with a tank of regular fuel.

Second - is the windscreen worth the investment? And how would you describe the effects of the windscreen?

Third - what other questions should I be asking about this car? (common problems with the '01, etc)

Thanks for your help & comments!
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,702
    I ran regular gas in my T5 (same engine as the HPT) for the last couple of years I owned it with no adverse effects whatsoever.

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

• tmarttmart Spring, TXPosts: 1,026
    I've got the LPT and use Plus, the midgrade. When I picked the car up from the dealership, the saleman said it had a full tank of premium, but it would probably be the last tank full because the car will run fine with Plus or even Regular. Have never used Regular, but can't really tell the difference between Plus and Supreme.

The windscreen, on the other hand, makes a BIG difference. It's pricey....but worth it. It really should be a standard feature and not an option. Sometimes they can be found on Ebay. Just be sure you buy the right one. Around 01/02 Volvo changed the mounting holes in the back seat above the rear lights/speakers from a slot to a hole. I don't remember which year. My 99 has slots. The metal slide on the screen MUST have the proper end. The two are not interchangeable.
  • tsk1tsk1 Posts: 31
    How were you able to arrange the Udevalla factory tour. We pick up our OSD C70 the day after yours (9/7) and would love to arrange any tour of the C70 plant.

Also how did you get your VIN# so early. We are only two weeks away and still haven't received our VIN.
  • We were visiting friends in Vanesborg on 6/27/06 and as we drove into town I realized we were only a few miles from Udevalla. The husband works for Volvo Aerospace and I asked him if he had any connections with them to arrange a tour. He was successful in arranging a tour on 6/29/06 for us. As I understand it they don't normally give tours at this plant, but we had a 2-1/2 hour tour. The plant is 60 percent owned by Pinafarina and 40 percent by Volvo. It was a fabulous experience.

My dealer had emailed me the VIN number before we left in early June for Europe, and I had my laptop with me and wrote down the number before we went into the factory. I asked them as we were given protective clothing and goggles if the VIN number was in their system, and they looked it up in the computer system and told me it was being produced that day.
  • Me again - topless bison. Thanks for the comments on the windscreen and gasoline. I haven't plunked down the $$ yet for the windscreen, but likely will thanks to your feedback. :) And I've decided to compromise and put midrange gas in the C70 and have enjoyed good performance so far. OK, here's my question. My 2001 C70 HPT has no Volvo nameplate on the trunk. Does anyone know if there were cars produced this way, or does it likely indicate an accident occurred and the namplate was not replaced? Can't figure it out and need your advice. :confuse: Thanks - TB.
  • What iPod adapter did you get? Is it the FM transmitter cradle that Volvo mounts to the left driver side dash? I'd love to hear what you have and all of the details of how you like it, it's placement and how it works. My only frustration with my '06 C70 is not having my iPod to use in it.
  • ClairesClaires Chicago areaPosts: 979
    Hi, folks,

I've started a new topic for discussing audio questions and solutions here: Volvo C70 Audio/MP3/iPod Questions

You may notice that a few posts have been moved over there to get the topic started.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

TB, keep looking on Ebay for the windscreen. Can save some $$$, Just make sure the brackets are correct. Not sure when Volvo moved their name to the center of trunk lid from beneath the left tail light. Does your 01 have nothing or is it beneath the tail light?
  • Tmart - thanks for the response. My car has no "Volvo" nameplate on the rear of the car. It does have "C70" on the right side beneath the tail light. Ideas?
    Hmmmm, I guess the previous owner could have removed it, could have come off by itself, although unlikely, or maybe it was in a fender bender which you mentioned. Intresting that the "Volvo" is missing but the "C70" is there, where it should be. Buy the center name, put it on the trunk, and you'll have a "newer" model. ;)
  • The adapter is exactly what you stated. It is mounted on the left side of the dash.
    The placement is a bit unusual. Reaching to change songs or turn on the backlight for my iPod can be a bit distracting. iPod's come with remotes and this moght be a good application for it. Unfortunately I have not gotten a chance to try but I will soon.
    What color c70 do u have?
    I've only met one woman that had a '06 c70 in light blue...and that's it. I would love to meet others with one.
  • Hi,

I also have the navigation system and the premium sound with the blue-tooth. My blue-tooth was only working in the rear speakers and they have been trying to order the right part to fix this. Do you have the premium sound system and how is the sound through the blue-tooth?

Thanks
  • Hello Barbie011,

My blue-tooth is really clear and it plays through the front speakers also. I do have the premium sound system which sounds great with the top down or up. I like to turn on the subwoofer to give the bass a boost. I have never heard of your particular problem but my dealer has been very responsive to any problems I've encountered so I am sure they will figure it out. Let me know how it goes....
  • I just had the same problem with my 2003 volvo s60. The ignition lock went and I had to get it replaced at a dealer. Thankfully it was still under warranty. I was told that if you have too many keys on your key ring then the weight can cause a pin inside to break and cause the lock to go. This is definitely a design flaw! There were two other volvos there at the same time as mine with the exact same problem.
  • ClairesClaires Chicago areaPosts: 979
    Hi, folks,

I've moved the posts about fuel questions from both the New Owners and this topic to the Fuel & Mileage Questions" (formerly C70 MPG topic).

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Hello!
    This is my first post on Edmunds, I was searching for repair information on my 1998 C70 coupe. Boy do I have problems. My inspection was due on 12/06, when I went to have it inspected I could not get it done because the driver's side window will not go up or down, who would have known that if you window does not go up or down in VA, that you car will not pass inspection?. I got a Volvo technician to look at it, and he said the window regulator motor needs replacing. The motor, X bracket etc would cost around $500 and the labor around $600. The total cost at Don Beyer Volvo in Falls Church, VA, a whooping $1,200.00!!! Nobel Volvo of Fredericksburg, VA wants $1,032 to fix it. So, while I save up the money to get it fixed, I am riding around with an almost two month expired inspection sticker. Right now, with the help of a friend, I have a stick of wood pushing the window up to keep it from falling down. It has still dropped down about an inch, and with it being winter and cold, it really, really makes things a pain. Also, got another problem. I got this car from CarMax in Dulles, VA. It had around 63,000 miles on it at the time. The serpentine belt has been replaced, but I do not see anything about timing belt being replaced. The car now has 99,000 miles on it, and I still have not gotten the timing belt put on. Why you ask, well, I found out from the Don Beyer dealership that to get the 75,000 service, which includes the timing belt, it would cost me close to $800.00, and I do not even know if that includes changing the water pump out. I have read that if you do not change the water pump out, that it will start to leak, as the new belt puts extra strain on it. So I have a window that does not work, a timing belt that is getting ready to pop, and possibly destroy probably one of the best engines I have ever owned, and there are more problems. Here is where I need help from the people out there reading this. The two back tires on my Volvo C70 are worn down to the yellow belt on the very inside, I mean completely bald extending to about a half of inch to an inch. Both of the tires on the very inside are like this. I was told by a Volvo tech, that the C70 has some suspension problems and what was showing was a known problem with them. Does anybody know what could be causing it? How much it will cost to fix it? I have had the car aligned and this did not fix it, unless they messed up the alignment and this caused it, but I do not think so. I also will have to get the tires replaced after it is fixed. Currently I have the 225/45/17 Sumitomo's which I have had great luck with and I love them. So, it looks like I am going to have the tires replaced/suspension fixed (will this stop my car from passing inspection too?) I got the same tires priced on tirerack.com and I can get the Sumitomo's for $79.00 a piece, just over three hundred dollars for the four.
    The last problem I have, the drivers seat stopped going back and forth, the electrical buttons do not work. I checked the fuses, they are all fine. Does anyone know what happened to the seat, and how much will it cost to fix it?

Thanks much,

Greg
  • redbuzzredbuzz Posts: 57
    Years ago I was in the service lounge of a Toyota dealer and the woman at the counter told every customer who handed her a key off of a big heavy ring that they should never keep car keys on rings like that because it will break the ignition lock. It also leads to damaged finishes around the locks. Ever since then, I have kept my car keys separated from the rest of my keys, and now that keys have remote functions and other gadgets, I can't imagine trying to keep them all together anyway.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,702
    sounds like you REALLY need to find an independent volvo mechanic. MUCH cheaper than the dealer.

Also ... no offense ... but if you can't afford an $800 repair or service, you really should not be driving a european car.

The timing belt really isn't a tough job. If you have anyone in the family who works on cars, they can probably handle it, maybe with the help of a repair manual.

I'm sorry, I know nothing of a suspension problem on these cars.

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

• A couple of tips/advice:

For your window problem - try searching at some of the dedicated Volvo forums for "window regulator replacement" (I might be missing an s after forum, but try www.volvoforum.com, and the alternate of www.volvo-forum.com (or maybe there is an s after forum, in either case), as well as www.swedespeed.com. The hard part of window regulator replacement is usually getting the door panel off, and then back on again, as there are sometimes little hidden tabs and such that it helps to know "the trick" on how to remove and replace. If you find a decent set of instructions, and are patient and somewhat careful, it is not too difficult. You may not be able to figure out what parts you need until the door panel is off, however. It might just be the "slider" that attaches at the end of the regulator arm, and slides in the track at the bottom of the window glass. That's what it sounds like to me, if the window is completely loose. If the window is solidly attached, but the motor doesn't run, then there is a different problem.

If you are pushing 100k miles, then timing belt replacement is a good idea, although SOME Volvo engines don't show it as necessary until 105k or 120k miles. (But other engine types are earlier - so check out the maintenance guide. Timing belt replacement CAN be tricky, as you need to retain alignment between the crank and the cam shaft(s), via the toothed belt. It is more involved than a simple serpentine belt replacement. BTW, I don't know the specifics of your car, but water pumps are almost always driven off of the serpentine belt, and NOT the timing belt. The serpentine belt is of course also driving the alternator, AC compressor, power steering pump, etc.

Face it, your car needs a fair amount of work, some of which you may want to tackle yourself. But, as someone else said above, you may be best served by finding an independent mechanic who focuses in Swedish cars. They're out there!
  • Has anyone heard if there will be any material changes to the MY2008 C70?

I think the dealers will start taking OSD orders for MY 2008 cars some time in March, and was curious if there was anyting worth waiting for? :confuse:
    OSD is sold out for MY07.

FAIK, there are no substantial changes planned.
  • jecklesjeckles Posts: 87
    After being told the C70 was sold out for OSD, our dealer transferred one of theirs into the program for us.

We could have waited for a 2008, but we decided a 2007 in hand is better than a 2008 in limbo (unknown changes and unknown price).

Given the dollar's continued slide against other currencies, I think we made the right choice to lock in before the inevitable 2008 price increase is announced. :P
    That was VERY nice of them.

The OSD experience is wonderful, have a great trip!