Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo C70

Comments

• tmarttmart Spring, TXPosts: 999
    Well, after 3 years I had the passenger low beam headlight go out and had to replace it myself. The first time was while under warranty and the recall. It was without a doubt the easiest replacement I've ever done on any car, van or minivan. Took maybe 2 minutes max. Went ahead and replaced the drivers side while the hood was up. Figured when one went out, the other wouldn't be far behind. Couldn't believe how easy and quick it was. One thing that surprised me though was the high and low beams use the same type bulb! Those effecient Swedes! The high beams appear to be just as easy.
  • schuhcschuhc Posts: 333
    Headlights!!!!!!
    Hah!!!!!!

I can't wait til your fog lights go out. Then you tell me how efficient those Swedes are!!!!! As I was a city dweller, I didn't have ramps when mine went out. Now THOSE were a PAIN!!!!! It's a good thing they made the headlights easy.
    Fortunately, I don't use them that much. I actually use the rear fog much more than the fronts. I use it whenever there's heavy rain, which in Houston is quite frequent.
    Just got Goldie back from her 37.5k checkup and she's good to go for the next 7.5k.
    So...of course after exclaiming what a nightmare the foglamps are, one burned out. Had the ramps this time and it was much easier to replace.

Also....
    replaced the hose that goes from the radiator overflow to the engine this weekend. I thought that the service department had sliced it as it is 75k miles old and they had recently done work on that side of the car.
    Turns out that the hose was actually fine. Volvo still has the 'screw clamps' that I used to have on my 73 TR6. Turns out that they had the clamp on an angle which was causing the leaking.
  • soledocsoledoc Posts: 52
    Hey guys...hope I'm still welcome on this board. I saw a saffron coupe today...and thought of you. I've had my S60 for 2 months now. I do like it, but certainly miss my C70 coupe. I'm not sorry I made the switch...but the S60 is no C70.
    Hey Tommy....

Think we got Soledoc right where we want him. He's sitting there right now in Indianapolis saying..."Gosh...If only I had those 17inchers on the C70 like I now do on my 2.5 60. Wonder if my wife would mind giving up the Saab for this car. I can still get my 70 back...I know I can!!"
    The Saffron coupe really caught my eye too when it came out in 98. It's really a shame it was a one year color, like my gold 99. Glad you're enjoying the S60, but remember you can still get a C70 in the topless version!!
  • soledocsoledoc Posts: 52
    Just for the record, my S60 is a T5..a bit faster than the 2.5T. Wife does like driving this one b/c it's a GT. She's actually giving up her SAAB for a Porsche Cayenne (YUK!) instead of the XC90
    European Delivery Program
  • tngirltngirl Posts: 1
    I started a new discussion under the Volvo heading but was hoping to get insight from you C70 lovers.
    I really want one. I find out in Oct if my grant-funded position will be renewed.
    I understand that the old body halts production in Sept. so if I want the perfect custom one, I need to decide now.
    Do I go w/ the classic current C70 style or hold out for the new one? Not too sure I like the look of a hard top convertable...
    Tough to say on something that I have not seen or do not have the specs on. I don't know how 'mass produced' the new C70 will be but I can tell you that I absolutely love my 2000. I know my salesman is planning on putting me in the new C70 when it comes out, but I still plan on letting the new body style 'settle' for a couple of years before I make the decision to get one. If you get the 'old' style, I do not think you will be dissapointed.
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    The new C70 will be based on the new S40.
    Production of the old car ceases in October.
    Late Sept is the cutoff date for special orders.
    Some items can no longer be ordered on C70's, for exapmple manual transmissions can no longer be specified.

The new C70 will arrive in the fall of 2005.
  • dfwk2500dfwk2500 Posts: 68
    We got one of the first 1999 C70 convertibles in the Dallas/Fort Worth area in January 1999. We loved it and when we learned it would no longer be available later this year, we traded the 1999 in on a nearly identical 2004 (under the theory that it would then last 5 years longer). When looking at convertibles back in 1998 and 1999, what we liked about the Volvo was the real/functional back seat. We needed the back seat. Volvo was the only car we liked that could truly hold 4 adults. Our understanding of the new style is that it is more in line with the small Benz and BMW in that the rear seat is essentially non-existent as the platform for the new car is significantly smaller. I am sure there are many advantages to the newer platform (old style C70 is on a platform more than 10 years old) but for us we needed the "bigger" car and absolutely loved our '99. You need to determine what you need from the car as my understanding is that the new vs old are apples to oranges.
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    Ive seen one or two C70 coupes with a body colored front grill, rather than the usual silver one. You guys know if this grill was an option, or some kind of custom thing?
    Volvomax will have the definitive answer, but my guess is the grills were custon jobs. All I've seen are the silver vertical bars and the newer ones with the black grill. IPD has replacement ones but they're silver mesh.
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    here's an example:

ummmmm

NICE!
    Sweet, even though I don't care for black cars!
  • shishishishi Posts: 6
    In the 7 months since we purchased our C70 with 17" alloy rims we have had to replace two due to the fact that they cracked. The Volvo mechanic mentioned that since the rims were not made for New England roads, but warmer climates this would be a continous problem. Anybody else have this problem and what about changing to other rims or tire size? Help!