Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo C70

Comments

• schuhcschuhc Posts: 333
    My 01 Coupe does not have vibration either. In reading your post, I saw that you have Perelli's and that's all i needed to see. In past postings on this board, people have complained about flat spots on those tires. In my 95k miles I have had the Michelin Pilots, Bridgestone Potenzas and now Falken Ziex's.

The Pilots and Potenzas lasted about 40k each.
    I will be switching back to the Potenzas once the Falkens have worn out. Other than the 2500 mile wear in period (at which time the noise became drastically reduced) they were definitely the best of the bunch. Was like riding on rails in the rain.

Sup Tommy.
  • WE recently purchased an 03 C70 HPT conv and it is teriffic.
    I heard taht there is a Fiberglass hardtop that pops on in the winter.
    Does anyone have any info?

Thanks
    starlifter
  • tmarttmart Posts: 998
    Congrats on your purchase. :shades: Have not heard of a removable hardtop for the C70. Would seem extremely cumbersome considering the size and weight that would be involved. Removing and replacing the top on my 57 Tbird was definitely a two person job, and that was a two seater. Can't imagine doing it on a C70. Could you be confusing it with the new C70 with the retractable hardtop? :confuse:
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    There is a company in Europe that makes hardtops for the C70.
    Wiesmann auto-sport.
    WOW! I had no idea. That Saffron hardtop looks good. Any idea on prices? Their website didn't list them. Their Roadster is a looker too!
    No clue, bet it is several thousand though.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,887
    and just think about shipping such a beast overseas!
    Yikes!

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

As I also learned this past week, it may not be the tires at all. You may have a hub that needs to be replaced. Although, mine does have 95k on it so I would be surprised if you've lost a bearing already.

$420.00
    Ouch! The hub is something I wouldn't think would ever need to be replaced, short of an accident. :sick:
    I'd have to ask Volvomax but my initial thought is that my guys don't steer me wrong. Evidently, with the volvos, it is not as simple as replacing a bearing. I was told that because of the way the bearings and the hub are laid out, when a bearing goes bad, you are just better off replacing the whole hub as it is too difficult to only replace a bearing. Doubt, and hoping, that they didn't feed me a line as I bring them 2 dozen danishes anytime I go in for service.
    its true. the whole hub would need to be replaced (the bearing is a sealed unit). Its not all that expensive. My shop charged me $380.

Here's a valuable link. Wish I had located it before changing everything else on my car in an attempt to eliminate the vibration. Oh well, live and learn.

http://www.volvospeed.com/Repair/FWDbearingHub.php

Not that unusual anymore for the hubs to be sealed.
    Not like in the old days when you could repack your bearings.
  • I know will not be cheap. However if it works I will have a better winter car and save on a rag top replacement.
  • I just took delivery of a used C70 HT(99 w 50k Miles), blue on blue, fully loaded. This car is going to be a lot of fun. I was stuck between the 330ci, SLK 320 and the C70, but after test driving all three, and after reading a significant portion of the posts on this forum, I chose the C70. (It also was the cheaper of the group). One of the question I have is that I will be storing the car for the winter (way too much snow and even more salt on the road), is there any special treatment/procedure that I need to consider? It will be stored in my garage, which is not insulated but away the elements. I am also considering purchasing a cover, is it worth it?
  • otis4otis4 Posts: 14
    Canuk70, congrats on your choice of the C70. I also drove several competitors before deciding the Volvo was the best deal and most car for the money. I assume you're in Canada when you talk about the long cold winters, but remember, your car was designed by Sweeds and I'm sure meant to handle Sweedish winters as well. If you have it in a garage, I expect no special prep would be required for either the top or the engine...although I would consider starting the motor once a month for oil lubrication of seals and rings. Maybe the other more mechanically inclined of this group can add ideas as well. I also have been told not to lower the top when it's wet, so I would guess cold/frozen tops should remain up as well. I guess I am lucky to live in GA where the only time I can't enjoy my C70 is mid-Feb! Have fun with your new toy.
  • I am thinking about purchasing a 2001 C70. Can anyone tell me if they are good in the snow as I live up in the higher elevations of New Jersey and we get quite a bit of snow during the winter (and sometime s Spring!!) months? Thanks!
    Bargs910
    My S70 T5 (same thing, just 2 more doors than the c70) has been GREAT in the snow (i also live in jersey). Just make sure you put a decent set of all-season tires on there and you are good to go.

Make sure you have 16" wheels!
    What's this snow stuff you're talking about?
  • otisotis Posts: 12
    Well, it's over. I am sad to report that my very happy 2 year experience with my C70 has ended. My wife and I caved in to pressure to lower costs and traded out of our leased 04 black C70. It will now join the ranks of the New Jersey C70s I read about here (recently) as I have just driven it up there. A nice 900+ miles up the East Coast last weekend confirmed it's smoothness as a cross country machine that gets 28 mpg to boot! It looked great at the transfer too since I had been using the Zaino polish recommended here, I also recommend Zaino to anyone with a dark color. Take care all. OtisC70.