Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo C70

Comments

• whecwhec Posts: 5
    Owners manual calls for new timing belt at 70,000 miles, and serpentine belt at 60,000 miles.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,150
    on an '01??

i know my '98 called for it in 75k ... but that's if it was built in the first half of the build year. they upped it to 90k later that year. i assumed it would still be 90k in '01. Why would they lower it again?

in any case, it is still some time before that car needs it.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

• volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    IIRC, timing belt should be @ 100k
  • Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond. If my wife thinks she wants this for her summer toy I will try and dealer to do a timing belt, water pump and serpintine belt as part of the deal. One less thing to worry about down the road. Also there are 3 Pirelli P6000 tires on the car and 1 P6. Got to get all 4 to say the same thing.

One more thing, is there an important difference in whether the car has the 2.3 or 2.4 liter engine?

Again, I appreciate the wisdom and advice.
    2.3L engine is the C70 HT,236hp
    2.4L is the C70LT, 197 hp
  • volvomax:

thanks.

VIN # = 56. Makes it the LPT (light pressure turbo)and 197hp.

let's see if the boss wants it.
  • Jerseyguy1,

Although the LPT is lower hp and also lower peak torque than the HPT, its torque is developed at lower rpm than the HPT. Thus for most normal/casual driving around, it doesn't feel too much different. In my opinion Volvo made a marketing mistake when they didn't make sure that the LPT had 200 hp, and not 197. (It's probably 200 DIN hp, as spec'd in Europe, but the SAE net hp rating for the US just misses the magic 200 level.)
  • rschleicher:

thanks.

"Thus for most normal/casual driving around"--is about how she will use it. No test drive today--gray, 45 degrees and raining.
  • pia3pia3 Posts: 3
    Hi All!

This is my first post on edmunds.com and am hoping to get some information. I'm in the process of car shopping and test drove the C70 and the S80 today. I really like the C70 as it offers the unique convertible-coupe feature. Though I liked the S80 as well, I feel there are similar options available at better prices.

Will greatly appreciate any feedback/advice regarding the two models.
  • Pia3,

You'll undoubtedly get some comment that you are comparing apples and oranges, but I'm the same way - I often look at widely-diverging cars that are in my rough target price range.

No matter what the car brand, you end up paying somewhere between $5k and $10k for the convertible feature. Alternatively you can use that money to buy either more performance, more luxury, or more room.

In Volvo's case, there isn't really an exact fixed-roof equivalent of the C70, although I guess you could argue that it is based on the S40. But for the price of a C70 you are talking about getting a well-equipped S60, or even a 6-cyl. S80 You can get some more performance via the S60 route, or more luxury and space via the S80 route. But there is something about a convertible that's worth the extra money! And the C70 performs well enough, and can be "luxed-up" enough, so that you are not really sacrificing much for the convertible, other than back-seat room (which is basically as good as convertibles get, but still not good compared to a sedan).
  • Personally, I would prefer the C70 because it seems like the kind of car where you will be precieved as a person with a fun personality. But, you could get a better price with the S80 because there are more incentives on the high mass models.
    Dear rschleicher,

Thank you much for your comments and insight. I went for the C70. Have been driving it for 3 weeks now and I think its the best decision I ever made! I absolutely love the car and you were exactly right when you said the C70 offers the best of both worlds. I love the way it looks and runs and it matches perfectly with my personality.

Thanks again; really appreciate it.

Pia
    Thanks! I went for the C70 and am very satisfied with my purchase. It looks and runs great and speaks volumes about the person behind the wheels! :))
  • bobparisbobparis Posts: 28
    Posted this yesterday but in the wrong section - sorry!

I bought my 2007 C70 in May 2007. Had occasion to drive with my son out of the city to see the meteor shower a few weeks ago. Was on the freeway, late at night with few other cars. Seemed as if the Xenon headlamps only lit-up about 15 - 20 feet ahead of the car. At highway speeds this isn't enough coverage, so if there was no oncoming traffic I would temporarily turn-on the high beams. Thought it might be "me" since I am not getting any younger and have friends who hesitate driving at night because of their vision but my son commented on how dark the road was and so did my wife a few nights later. Has anyone else had a similar situation and can the headlamps be adjusted so that they are aimed slightly upward? All of my other cars had "normal" headlamps and have never had this problem. Otherwise, the car has performed well with no defects or dealer adjustments necessary. Bob
  • redbuzzredbuzz Posts: 57
    Most of my night driving has been in a suburban setting with streetlights but I like how the bi-xenons are focused so that there is very little vertical scatter. The upper limit is a very distinct horizontal line. I was disappointed with the fog lights however. This is my first car with fogs and the only time we've had significant fog I tried them without the bi-xenons and they were way too dim to be useful.
  • jecklesjeckles Posts: 87
    My wife and I feel the same way about our xenon lamps. Seems they are just a tad too low for our needs. I doubt the dealer will adjust them (likely claim it is a safety issue), but will try them before I adjust them myself...
    Thank you for your thoughts. I shouldn't be happy that someone else has the same "problem" but well, misery loves company. I agree that adjusting the lamps improperly would be a safety issue, but driving a car with inadequate headlamp illumination is also a heck of a safety concern too. My dealer wants me to leave the car overnight so that the shop foreman can take the car home for a road test to check out the headlamp operation when it's dark. You have encouraged me to do so since you share the same opinion of their function. Hopefully they can be re-aimed slightly upward to provide a longer throw without being in the eyes of oncoming drivers. I am going to contact Volvo too.
  • On other C70 or general Volvo forums I have seen multiple posts about Bi-Xenon headlamps being aimed too low, out of the factory. I think in most cases the dealer agreed that they were aimed too low, and did the readjustment.

The vertical aim of the headlights is a bit different between when the roof is up, and when it is down. (With the roof in the trunk the front of the car is tipped up a tad more.) So the aiming should probably be done with the roof up, even if this might make the beams a little high with the roof down.

I seem to recall reading that Euro-spec C70's have a level adjustment knob on the dash for the regular headlights, and auto-leveling for the Bi-Xenons. (If you download a "world" owner's manual from the global Volvo web site you will see this described - the area around the headlight switch has this extra control.) My guess is that US safety laws prevent this sort of real-time adjustment - presumably to "protect" us from irresponsible headlight aiming!
    that is the problem in a nutshell. There are regs regarding how bright headlights can be in the US. Esp Xenon headlights.
    NTHSA has recieved numerous complaints about xenon lights on european cars blinding on coming drivers.
    So, Volvo just plays it safe.
    I had to adjust the Xenons on my S60R upward too.
    Haven't had an issue w/ the xenons on my S80 V8 though.
    The car is at the dealer today. Apparently, software controls the adjustment. Seems out-of-this-world, but nothing surprises me these days. I'll report back if it is fixed.