Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo C70

Comments

• mattsc70mattsc70 Member Posts: 2
    Hello folks....I am Matt in Virginia...I have a Saffron colored (like the IPD C70--kind of dark goldish color). I bought mine back in January of 2000 and only paid $28,000 with 17,000 miles on it. It is loaded with every option except 18 inch wheels. I think $31,500 is too high for this car!!! Look on YAHOO classified ads from all over the US and I think it will give you a better idea of what to pay. Also I have seen some great deals on EBAY for this one dealership in Texas that has a lot of C70's go thru there. They have one 98' on there now really cheap...$22,000 and that is from a dealership!! Good luck!
  • schuhcschuhc Member Posts: 333
    Just looked. It's a 98.

Yummy.

http://ipdusa.com/c70.cfm
  • geconomosgeconomos Member Posts: 2
    I am selling a great condition 99 silver convertible with 14K miles. I am in Los Angeles. It has the Prologic surround sound with 14 speakers and the cold weather package. If interesed, e-mil me at GEconomos@yahoo.com
  • msilagymsilagy Member Posts: 3
    I've read quite a few of the messages on the board, and it seems most everyone is pretty happy with their C70. Guess I'm in the minority. I bought my '98 HT Coupe new in mid '98 for around $40K. Nicely loaded with all the options including the 18" alloy wheels. While the car looks good, and the sound system is great, I've been pretty disappointed with the ride quality, noise level, and fit and finish of some interior items. In my opinion, the ride is too rough for a car this expensive that bills itself as a luxury coupe. The first set of tires wore out in 14,000 miles - and I don't drive the car hard. In fact, I only have 17,500 miles on it now, so you can see I don't put a lot of miles on it to/from work. At $1,400 per set of tires, that was an unwelcome surprise. I'd sell it, but the way the value of this car has cratered, who can afford to if you bought it new? Wish I'd shelled out a few extra thousand in '98 for the CLK. I'd have a car that retained its value and did a better job of living up to its advertising claims.
    First of all you bought a 98 which many people have had problems with.
    Second of all, how smooth do you expect a ride to be with 18 inch wheels? If I had 18 inchers here in Chicago we would have had to measure my tire-life-expectancy in days, not miles.

Sounds to me like Volvo has worked out all the bugs in the 2000's and on.
  • nretsrnretsr Member Posts: 1
    The wind noise with the top up is almost unbearable especially at speeds over 40 mph.. I've had it checked twice by the dealer and he tells me that it's a "design problem" and nothing can be done. My gut is that it's a problem with my car as opposed to all of the convertibles. Has anyone had a similar experience?
  • geconomosgeconomos Member Posts: 2
    I would have that dealer check again as mine had some wind noise on the highway but there had been a recall on the sealer and it now is very quiet. Cleary not as quiet as the coupe but, for a convertible, it definitely is decent. Has anyone purchased the wind deflector for the convertible, does it help at high speeds? They are charging about $350 at the dealer and I am not sure it's worth this amount.
  • chuckmillerchuckmiller Member Posts: 1
    I am currently looking at the C70 convertible and I have a few questions that I would love to get answers to. I really appreciate everyone's help.
    1) My dealer does not have a HPT, is the upgrade to a HPT worth it from an engine performance standpoint? What about the upgraded sound? Can you really tell the difference with that strangely placed speaker on the dash? I would think that the sound would be lost when the top was down.
    2) I hate to bring it up, but has anyone had problems with the cupholders. They seem extremely flimsy and I hate to spill my drink in my nice new car.
    3) Has anyone had a problem with their kids in the back seat, breaking or grabbing those convertible covers that just hang inside the back window?
    4) What is the average markdown from the MSRP?
    I currently drive a 90 Miata and a Toyota Avalon and I have struggled to find one car that can replace those two cars. Again, I appreciate any assistance. Thanks
  • brunejebruneje Member Posts: 13
    I tried the 2000 C70 coupe today, my dealer has a new one for sale 47000 CAN which is 13000$ below usual cost, he includes a second set of tires (used), the 17 inch I wheels, and the pro logic upgrade. I have some questions on this

Does the price seem good?
    also the same question as chuck miller, has anyone had problems with the cupholders, they definetively seem cheap.
    Any problems with the car ?

The car I am looking at as the beige (light tan ) interior, how does that wear and keep?
    answer for chuck miller regarding the sound system, it is awesome, your question was regarding the system for a convertible, in the literature it tells of the differences between the coupe and convertible, and the fact that the convertible not only has more speakers, but it has a re balancing of sound when you have the top up. Thanks from Canada
    Also regarding HPT upgrade, the car weighs in at 3600 lbs, which is the same as the XC station wagon, that's a lot of weight for a small engine to move around.
    As far as the HPT vs. the LPT, I hear that the HPT gives more oomph when trying to pass someone at a good clip. Do not know what the LPT does by my HPT really kicks in if I'm doing 40 or over and want to get going.
    I would also think that some sound is lost with the top down but I have the upgraded stereo and love it.
    I was wary of the cupholders as well when I first saw them but they seem to be fine as we tend to use them frequently. If I am alone in the car I either pull it half way out or use the space closest to the arm rest.
    CAD47,000. WOW!!!!! That's nice!!! Since you are up there in Winterland, you may wish to see if you are getting snow tires. My only complaint is minor sliding problems on minor grades in Michigan. (post #350)
    Also have the Camel interior. It has been fine but I have shampooed the mats twice. Also tend to throw my leather coat in the back seat so the sides of the front seats tend to get dirty but that comes right off with a $4.00 (CAD5.95) bottle of leather cleaner.

CAD47,000!!! Now I'm jealous
    Thanks for the response schuhc , now you really have me wondering. Im down to choosing either the S60 T5 or the coupe. The prices are both about the same. With the coupe he will give me a set of "used" winters and wheel caps, the 17" propus alloy wheels and tires, STC, and the Dolby Surround Sound. Im re assured to hear that the cup holders are sturdy and that the leather seats can be easily cleaned. Im debating this back and forth in my mind, so any comments would be appreciated. My last car was an 850 Turbo (222hp) , and I have always appreciated the comforts and speed it offered. I know when I purchased it I was considering the fact that I was paying more for it, but in the end I have never regretted it. It still drives and handles like a very good car. The last observation on the car is that it weighs in at an incredible 3600 lbs, that's the same as the new Volvo XC wagon, I would think that the 190 hp motor would be too small.
    I would say it depends on your family situation. I have a cardinal rule against buying a new model until it has been out for 3 years (hence my 2000HT). I can't imagine the S60 will have any major kinks to work out however. I am not a big fan of the interiors of the S60 or S80. However, if you have kids or would use the back seat a lot I would go with the S60 because the seats on the coupe can be annoying. My future mother in law called me at work because she had moved the driver's seat forward to put the groceries in the back. Then she couldn't get the lever lifted all the way up to move the seat back. Eventually a male came by to help her out but not after I chastised her for not using the trunk.

I've told Lisa that if she thinks we need another car she can go ahead and get this one.

http://www.edmunds.com/editorial/conceptspotlight/volvopcc/42929/index.html
    Thanks again for the response, on Friday I will be trying out both cars, the 2001 S60 T5 and the 2000 Coupe. If you have them down to the same options, the price is about the same (600 less for the S60), the only option I cannot match is the Pro logic sound system and also I would not be getting a second set of rims. The back seat and trunk are a concern, but most of my driving is done alone. Ironically the data shows more back head and leg room in the coupe, the pain is getting in and out of the back. After the test drive on Friday I will let you know, but thanks again for your insight, and any other comments you can post would be appreciated.
    I'm interested in knowing how the S60 drives. As for trunk space in the coupe. Lisa and I have managed to get 2 big duffle bags, 2 golf bags, and 2 briefcases into the coupe with a little bit of room left over.
    And hey.... if most of your driving is done alone. Let the passengers worry about getting in and out of the back seat!!!!! There is enough leg room back there by the way. All my friends are over 6ft and have no problem with sitting in the back.
  • c702000c702000 Member Posts: 39
    our C70 (2000 apt) will look exceptional for many years to come. Here in Daytona Beach Florida, there is only 4, these rare cars seems to stand out more and it's great to finally have a car that you do not see many of, and the saying "Hat's a Volvo". I know have a S60T, giving me the best of both worlds, sport coupe, for dad and sport sedan for mom. We are a rare happy few. Actually I bought the S60 for my wife so I can keep the C70 forever. The low pressure turbos has enough power for me, on I 95 had it up to 140 (just testing). Two great cars. I have owned three 850's 1993 ,1997 turbos and the S70. you will not find a better proven power plant. This is one reason I did not wait on buying the new S60T.
    Tom
  • tmarttmart Member Posts: 2,233
    This is in response to a couple of posts above. I have a 99 C70 LPT convertible. Haven't driven a HPT, but the LPT has enough power for me. From what I've read, it has more "pick up" at low speeds than the HPT. Wind noise hasn't been a problem with the top up. With the top down and windows up, I find the wind isn't a problem whether driving at 45 or 80. In either case, the Pro Logic is FANTASTIC. My wife wants me to get the wind deflector, but I question whether it is worth the $300+ from the dealer, since I don't have a problem with the wind. Would appreciate any comments from you who have the deflector. Thanks.
  • pefpef Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a new C70 Convertible, this was my 14th Convertible, it is truly a wonderful car. It now has 19,000 miles on it and has not given me one problem, except for the leather seats. They are discoloring; maybe because of the Florida sun? Cowl shake is minimum compaired to others that I have owned. I recommend this car over others. I would buy another when the body changes and if I could afford it.
  • ragtopmamaragtopmama Member Posts: 1
    Hi All,

I'm going back and forth trying to decide between the new mitsubishi eclipse spider (fully loaded v6) at $30K or a 2000 c70 convertible at $34K. I'm thinking in terms of value retention, the C70 is the way to go, but I REALLY wanted a brand new car.

Help me out here... anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

ragtopmama
    Ragtopmama, I have no experience with the Eclipse, but do have a C70 convertible('99). Was bought new and was considerably more than 34k. It's a GREAT machine and can hold four adults easily. I hate to say it, but the Pro-Logic sound system IS worth the cost. Tmart
    Not to mention that I would value the reliability of the Volvo over that of the Mitsubishi. Additionally there is a ton of room in the back seats of the Volvo. Something that those of us that were always crammed in the back seat of our friends' Eclipses tend to think about. Now my knees hurt when it rains or when I see an Eclipse.
    Help!! Need some info/comments concerning the wind screen/deflector accessory for the convertible. Is it really worth the $300+ cost? Does it make any difference whether the windows are up or down? With the windows up I don't find the wind to be much of a problem, but the wife does. With the windows down, there is definitely more wind. Thanks, Tmart
    Tmart:

If you don't get any responses, I would call IPD and ask them for their opinion. Their website is IPDUSA.com.
    Schuhc, thanks for the reply. I haven't called IPD, but they have nothing listed in their catalogs, and didn't have the part listed on their site, unless it's been added recently. Will check again. Tmart
    You're correct. They definitely don't have it (I looked the first time you mentioned it to see if they did). I would bet, however, that one of those Volvo-holics has a deflector for their car and would be able to give you some good insight if you were to give em a ring.
    The dealer let me take the C70 home tonight for a real test drive and tryout, the car is amazing, I also am trying out the pro logic sound system and that is amazing. I sold on this car, but I still want to try out the S60 tomorrow, my wife would also prefer a 4 door. I have a few questions on the Coupe, and would appreciate answers on it.

1. The wind noise seems high in the car ( this when I lowered the volume on that incredible stereo system)
    2. The doors seem to need a very good push too close, any problems with that.

Observation, the ride is great, the acceleration is superb ( I presently drive a 850 Turbo, great acceleration there but better in the C70)
    the finish inside is certainly as good as the BMW or the Mercedes , the seats are beige leather and superbly comfortable, I thought the seats in the 850 were unbeatable.
    Jean
  • adaveyadavey Member Posts: 30
    is the c70 convertible worth the $$? what do the "long-time owners" have to say about the reliabiliyy of the ragtop? obviously the safety issue is moot. but is it worth the scratch?
  • adaveyadavey Member Posts: 30
    that word is RELIABILITY not reliabiliyy
    Finally got around to driving the T5, this the day after the dealer lent me the C70 for the evening. The C70 is a much better handling car, smoother ride, more in control ride. The T5 is very responsive but floats a little from the front end. Too sum it up, a drive in the C70 is a lot more relaxing, then in the T5.

I was in the fortunate situation that the dealer had a 2000 C70 still on the lot, and price wise both cars came out dollars apart, the dealer also threw in a new set of Gislaved snow tires and rims with the C70. My choice the C70, it looks great, the interior finish is top class and the sound system awesome, and the drive superb. Also in the equation was the comment up above about the car having 3 production years under its belt, and that most of the bugs are out. The car is Venetian red with a beige leather interior. It also came with the 17 inch wheels and rims. The more I write about it, the more anxious I am to get delivery.
  • soledocsoledoc Member Posts: 52
    I recently ordered an '01 C70 coupe with beige leather, dolby surround in a manual transmission. It seems to me like this is a pretty rare car. I've never even seen one on the road. I could only test drive the convertible which I think is a little loose in the turns. I currently have a '99 SAAB 9-3 which has been fine, but I'm looking for a little more excitement and something a bit more unique. Anybody have any comments on the '01 coupe? Happy so far I hope.
  • volvowatchervolvowatcher Member Posts: 1
    I took possession of a silver exterior and interior C70 HPT automatic coupe Nov. 28, '00. I am very pleased with the handling and the ride. Acceleration from standing is adequate but really takes off when over 30-40mph. So far no problems if that means anything at 1700 miles. I also like the ergonomics of the interior and the seats almost feel as if they were custom contoured. I did not get the upgraded dolby surround sound system. I have seen a nautic blue with beige interior convertible but not a coupe. That is a great color combination and I would have ordered it but in Florida I try to stay away from dark colored cars which is why I opted for silver/silver.
    I just ordered an '01 coupe (nautic blue, beige leather) with manual,dolby,cold weather for $38,000. Does that sound like a good deal? The only bad thing is the dealer said it probably won't be here until July! I can't wait to get it. Love to hear other reports from '01 coupe owners with manual transmissions. Thanks to the previous message from Florida. 1700 miles so far so good. I bet you get a lot of heads turning to see your car!
  • brand4brand4 Member Posts: 1
    Have read a lot of opinions of the c7o. I have had a c70 up conv. for seven months, delivered with 3/4 of the speakers on deluxe sound system working, got that fixed along with cracked consul molding. Shortly after that coolant light came on, had to add coolant, now service engine light comes on. This car just turned 5,000 miles. more problems than any car I have owned for the past ten years. Can not suggest this vehicle to anyone looking for trouble free driving experience. Volvo should advertise sow moving seats.
  • suatkarakassuatkarakas Member Posts: 1
    I started with a S40 T-4 manual (200 hp - HPT). It was a fantastic car. Then we had 2 babies and we needed something bigger and got a 99 S70 (HPT). What a car. So much fun for a daddy. Reliable, secure and fast. Than I met C70 T-5 (HPT). It was as sexy as it could be. After a test drive I decided to get it and kept our S70 for my wife and the kids. I recently traded in my 99 C70 for a 2001 C70 (HPT) with alcantra interior and 5 speed automatic. I love to drive it and listen to music in it. I take my favorite Miles Davis and Rolling Stones and just drive around. I will never sell it. No problems in any one of the Volvos we owned so far. I drove at 260 km/hr (160 miles/hr) for at least 30 minutes with my C70 and it was fantastic. I love Volvo and the way they make cars.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    It is my understanding that the real M3 fanatics like the 4-door, as it is apparently a more rigid body structure for track work. About the only disadvantage I can think of are a) looks and b) resale value.
    Just bought the accessory wind deflector for my C70 converible. Could not believe the difference it makes. It was pricey, $338 plus tax, but is definitely worth it.

Another subject. Has anyone had problems with their sun visors? The passenger one broke several months ago, and I just noticed the driver's one is broken now! Tmart
    Just purchased a C70 Coupe, and I was surprised to find that the wind deflector does not come standard with it, it did with my last car which was an 850. Im happy to hear that you are satisfied with your wind deflector, and that it makes a big difference. Where did you buy your wind deflector?
    Thanks
    Bruneje, congrats on getting the coupe. It's truly a good looking car. The wind deflector is an accessory for the convertible, fitting over the back seats. Don't believe it would be of any use in the coupe, but what a difference it makes on the convertible! It shold be made standard. Bought it from a local dealer. There are five dealers in Houston and all five had it priced the same! Only one had it in stock, and he said it was their last one. Ordering time for the other four ranged from overnight to five days.
    Tmart thanks for the info, I was thinking about the wind deflector on the sunroof for the coupe, I realized my mistake when I went looking at Volvo accessories. Does anyone know where I could pick up a wind deflector for the sunroof, or is it something that the coupe owners feel is not needed?
  • obiwankenobi1obiwankenobi1 Member Posts: 290
    The wind deflector on the sunroof for the C70 might take away from the look.

It is so streamlined and smooth looking, that I would leave it alone.

However, if you want one, just visit the local dealer. They should have them in stock.

Obi
    1990 BMW M3
    Sorry all. Got married and went away for a bit.
    Bruneje - I am happy to hear that you love the C70. I have not had any problems with the doors but was curious if you had taken home a 98 or 99 and if so, perhaps the hinge thing I had referred to play a part in that. Also, go to ipdusa.com as they have tons of goodies for the Volvos.
    Brand4 - Sorry to hear that you have had an uncommon experience in your Volvo. Engine light may have come on becuase the gas cap was not securely fastened. You're right about those seats though. Man they're slow. But I can live with that.
    Mr Shiftright - An M3 posting on this message board???!!!! What's up with that?
    Congratulations on the marriage, when I got married (16yrs ago) my grandfather told me that "He never knew happiness till he got married..........then it was too late" slight exageration on his part because he revered the ground 'grandma" walked on, much happiness to you.
    I took home the car that I eventually purchased, , everything has been great so far, I still have not been back to get them to install the summer's on it, hopefully the weather will get warmer, pot holes will be fixed, and I will be driving it with the 17in tires. Im continually awed by the stereo, find that the car drives incredibly "tight" and comfortable.Two adjustments I need on it so far one a noise fix. I have a clunking noise emanating from the area around the glove compartment. The second one Im not sure of, and maybe someone can give me direction, in the manual it says that the STC light should come on when you start the car, to indicate that it is working, nothing shows up?
    The Traction Control is a wierd thing as far as consistency of lights go. If I remember correctly while you are driving, the light should be off. The light on the dash is on when the STC is actually disabled. UNLESS the light comes on briefly during a situation when the computer says "Hey, we need the STC to kick on at this point" at which time it does. To sum up. Light off, good (enabled), unless in slippery situation.

Totally agree about the stereo. One thing to keep in mind. I always have mine on Pro Logic unless I have people sitting in the back. Lisa scared me one day by saying it sounded like the back speakers were blown when she was sitting back there. When I listened to them and not the front, they did sound hollow but that is how it is supposed to sound for optimal Pro Logic in the front two seats. I just change the mode when I have 4 people in the car so everything sounds crisp to everyone.

Tires.... once you get those summer tires on there, remember to take a 90 degree turn at about 50 mph. THAT's FUN!!!!
    Thanks for the tip on not putting on prologic when you have passengers, I just came back from a long highway trip and the car was just great, but one thing is windnoise, it was very noisy, there does not seem to be any leaks around the window, but loud windnoise seems to be emenating from around the front of the side windows, around the mirrors on both sides, any thoughts on that ?
    Still wondering if anybody out there has any early reports on their experiences with an '01 C70 coupe in manual transmission and 16" tires. I'm waiting to take delivery on mine.
    Bruneje:

There are times when I have wind noise from the front windows and the sun roof but have only noticed it when the temperature is 'crisp'. For the front windows I just roll them down an inch and then roll them back up. That immediately takes care of the problem. The sunroof is quiet when the interior slide is shut. Never had that problem in the summer. Think it seals better at that time of year. Unless of course you're doing 125mph. We were on our way down to Indianapolis one day, Lisa was on the phone with her sister and it started to get noisy. She said "Why is it so noise.... OhmyGod!!! We're doing 125!!!!" Then I heard her sister say it on the other line to which Lisa's brother in law wanted to get on the phone and talk to me. (goofy Audi freaks!). So needless to say, 125mph is when it gets loud in my car. Either from Lisa or the wind noise.

Soledoc:
    I'm sure the 01 coupe is just like the 00 and solid throughout. You do have a 5 speed tran instead of the 4 speed in the 00. However, as for the 16 inches, I think you will be fine. I just would wonder if it will corner as nicely as the 17 inch.
  • jcarpijcarpi Member Posts: 17
    I have 17" wheels on my 00 coupe, and I've noticed that the turning radius isn't as tight as I'd like. The mechanic at the dealer said it was because of the front wheel drive and the larger wheels. It's a small price to pay for the wonderful traction and stability on the highway. Cornering at higher speeds is good and tight.
    Im bubbling with anticipation, Im like a kid who is looking forward to day when he does not have too wear the winter galoshes anymore. The snow is melting fast this week and the frost is coming out of the ground, so soon it will be time to get the dealership to install the 17 in summer's on the car for the first time. Im driving with 15 in snows (Gislaved) all around . I have always been impressed by the turning radius of Volvo,s compared to GM's and Ford's, and from my figuring that will not change when I go to a 17in radius tire...right.
    Turning radius may change un-noticeably with the 17 inches. But as jcarpi indicates with the traction at high speeds.... 90 degree turns at 50 mph are fun.
  • slim_easterdayslim_easterday Member Posts: 1
    I have found a 2000 C70 Convertible with less than 2,000 miles that was badly damaged, sold through a salvage auction, repaired through a body shop by replacing a clip on the back, right corner of the car. The negotiated price is $30,500. It looks great, however I have some concerns. The car no longer has the Volvo warranty, the steering wheel shakes at all speeds, there is air noise on the passenger side between the top and the windows, and there is an oversteering in the wheel when turning strong to the right and left in a parking lot.

Do you have any advise on purchasing this car? I've never owned a Volvo (loyal Honda fan), but love the styling of the C70 convertible.

Thanks,
    2000 C70 Convertible.

If it was me, I would stay away from it. The best thing that you could do is take a mechanic to the car and have him check it out. Not having that warranty is a major deterrant.