Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Intrepid Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• I have a 2000 Dodge Intrepid 3.2. I was driving down the highway one day and everything was fine. Then when I got off and slowed down, I recognized the temp gauge going way up, I parked the car, and turned off the engine, and antifreeze was all over the ground. So I let the car sit, grabbed a couple gallons of water the next day, and drove the car all the way to my friends garage. Again the temp gauge seemed fine until I started hitting red lights, but it did not overheat. Once I got to the garage turned the car off again all the water came right out all over the place. We took the overflow cap off, and there was a lot of air blowing out, as well as radiator fluid/water. Then we filled it up again and let it run for about 20 minutes without overheating, the gauge stayed in the middle position. Turned the car off nothing. Now he's saying that I need a radiator which I don't doubt, but could there be another problem causing this? I didn't drive it or anything just let it sit running. Seems like the air in the system might have been the issue. Is there a way to release the air on a 3.2?
  • if you still have the car and still doing the same thing
    i have a 94 3.3 and had that same problem when i change the timing sensor the motor will turn and should start
  • After I drove the car a few miles, all of a sudden steam started coming out of the radiator. Spitting coolant all over my engin. do I need a new radiator?
  • razacrazac Posts: 2
    hello there just read your post it could be your water pump/thermostat going out... at highway speeds the pump seems fine but once U slow down the temp goes up or red lines.. TO MUCH PRESSURE this is to much for your radiator cap to handle this is y U got anti freeze all over {Seems like the air in the system might have been the issue. Is there a way to release the air on a 3.2}check the top hose from the radiator to the engine look at the housing if U see bleeder valve that should look like your brake's bleeder valve{I.E }if U have ever done brake's you will know what I Am talking about IF U DO NOT SEE THIS VALVE THEN U CANT DO THE THE NEXT STEP
    u will need a 10MM wrench when the car is hot stand on one side and open the valve once u get all antfreezz the shut and waite a few min and repeat

BAD SPELLER/GRAMMER SORRY DONT LIKE IT DONT READ MY POST
  • bon8699bon8699 Posts: 2
    My Dad's 96 Intrepid had the overdrive go out and hasn't come back at all.All the other gears shift perfect and we replaced the cars torque converter and tried a different computer to fix the problem,no luck.I read it could be the transmission control solinoid.Has anybody had this problem and if so whats the fix,thax
  • poof608poof608 Posts: 3
    the water pump went out in my intrepid, we had it replaced but now the check engine light is on and when you go to start it, it takes about 10 seconds for it to start. Why could this be. the mechanic also said the cam heads need realigned. is this an expensive task?
  • corona89corona89 Posts: 3
    cam heads have lot to do with the light being on but did u have it reset after fixing the water pump?? if not take it to dealer or iwould advise advanced they can do it for free once they reset that and it comes back on then u have the problem elsewhere
  • poof608poof608 Posts: 3
    Awesome! Thank you I will definitely try this.
  • raymondoraymondo Posts: 2
    1) How do I know if there is a speed proportional steering on this vehicle
    2) Can the power steering pump and rack and pinion be replaced with units that do not have that option and what could be the adverse affects?
    RM
  • cloudgoddcloudgodd Posts: 2
    on Tuesday I am having my tie rod bushings replaced as per my mechanic, however my father in-law said that when replacing these the CV joint usually will need replacing too (as in is a must do) is this true? or can I have just the tie rod bushing replaced?
  • if the info provided is correct...no! the cv joints will never need replacing unless when you stop, fully turn the wheel start to drive and get the load click click click noise. tie rods and tie rod bushings have nothing to do with the cv joints
  • dulinaadulinaa Posts: 10
    Your father-in-law is incorrect unless he was discussing the CV joint boot. Although while replacing the tie rod ends would be a good time to closely inspect the CV joints for boot tears, there is no need to replace CV shafts unless there is a genuine concern. Popping or cracking noises on accelerated turns from a stop would be the most noticeable concern. You can replace the tie rod ends only, just be sure to get an alignment after the repair.
  • graber87graber87 Posts: 2
    I have lately been trying to find a air intake for my 2000 intrepid, but it seems no one makes one for the 3.2 engine that i have, I have done some research and I dont know if this is true or not but the only difference between the 3.2 and the 3.5 is the cylinder bore. So could the air intake kit for a 3.5 be compatible with the 3.2?? need help!
  • Hey man the info provided below should answer your question. You can also go to dodgeintrepid.net which has several members who own these cars and I bet lots of them have done the air intake on the 3.2 as well. The 3.2 is the same as the 3.5 just a smaller bore so it should work just fine. And I've seen an air intake on a 3.2 before. I have the 3.5 and I just got a K&N air intake for about 230 shipped.
    Below theres also a link to the ebay listing of the K&N intake. Its listed as 211.00 free shipping. I paid more because I live in hawaii. Good luck

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/K-N-FIPK-Cold-Air-Intake-00-04-DODGE-Intrepid-SXT- -3-5L-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ260545839076QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAc- cessories :shades:

khinz163
    08-11-2005, 09:25 PM
    I am unable to find an intake for 1999 3.2L V6 Intrepid? What reasons are there that a intake for a 2.7L wont work? Please help me because i am desperetly trying to improve my intrepid...thanks
    Crash459
    08-13-2005, 08:25 AM
    The two intakes are a different size. K&N actually makes a Cold air intake for the second gen intrepids. Keep in mind that the 3.2 and the 3.5 have the same block. and the 98-04 intrepids are technically the same vehicle. Do a search for any cold air intake that will fit a 98-04 intrepid with a 3.2 or 3.5 and it will fit your car.
    khinz163
    08-13-2005, 01:12 PM
    so you think a Intake for a (2000 DODGE Intrepid 3.5L V6 F/I - All) will fit?
    Crash459
    08-14-2005, 06:29 AM
    Yes it will.