Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Intrepid Maintenance and Repair

13»

Comments

• omfg, i think i must have bought your car, lol,

same thing happening here, except 3 and overdrive jacked up, and if you stay in 2nd for a while it will slip and the engine winds up real loud before it shifts back in to 2nd, lolz....

transmission guy said prolly needs a new one,

i was online looking for transmission prices with labor...
  • jchavesjchaves Posts: 1
    edited January 2012
    '94 3.3 Intrepid won't start below 40 or so degrees. Gas is present in fuel rail, cranks like a champ, have swapped around relays under hood. Soon as it warms up..... bingo. Sure seems like lack of fire (unconfirmed) assuming thats it what would cause this. Car runs beautiful all other times. As I live in Fl. I only have a chance to experience/troubleshoot a couple of times per year. Any help gratefully appreciated. -Jeff
  • Yesterday my 2004 Dodge Intrepid with a 3.5 liter engine started getting hot. The warning bell went off, I looked at the temperature gauge and it was about 3/4 of the way up. I stopped and turned the car off within 10 seconds. I had new anti-freeze with me so I thought I’d top it off. I tried to slowly release the pressure but the radiator cap slipped and boiled over. It blew everywhere. I waited an hour for it to cool down then refilled it. I checked the oil and it was at the correct level and looked very clean. The car fired right up and drove perfectly. I drove 1.5 miles home and it started to get hot again just as I arrived. The next day I again checked the fluid level and drove 3 miles to the mechanic. It was starting to get hot by the time I got there. The car never once over heated. It started up and drove perfectly again. My mechanic said the water pump probably went out. He went to change it and the head gasket for me. When he took the intake off, it was covered in oil. I mean, he said it was dripping really bad when he took it off. I saw the line of oil on the floor where he had carried it to the back of his shop. He stopped work on it immediately, called me and said I needed a new engine. He said there was very little coolant in it. Which might make sense if the water pump wasn’t working. But I only drove it 4.5 miles total and it never over heated. He told me the oil must be coming from the piston area so my rings must be shot. Can anyone give me some info. I don’t know a lot about working on cars and I don't know if he's just trying to rip me off or what. He knows I don’t know a lot about cars and I’ve always trusted what he’s told me. Like I said, it ran perfectly taking it to his shop. The original motor blew up in 2008 due to the oil pump going out. So I replaced it with this engine. I used the same mechanic to put the new engine in. It had 20,000 miles on it when it went in. It now has less than 80,000 total miles on it. Please help, I LOVE my car and don't want to lose her. I sure hope I've given enough information for a possible diagnosis. Thank you very much. Big Dave
  • danmccoy1danmccoy1 Posts: 1
    edited March 2013
    97 intrepid 3.5L. runs fine until engine is warmed up than hesitates and misfires almost to the point of stalling, engine light is on.
  • mtnochemtnoche Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 dodge intrepid that is giving me the fits! Yesterday I started it and the check engine light came on. I drove it anyway (maybe my first mistake). I was on the freeway for a few miles going 70 or so, when I felt a slight lurch. The oil light came on and the car began to decelerate. Giving it gas did nothing, so I was forced to the side of the freeway. When the car came to a complete stop, it began to shutter, so I turned off the engine. I sat the for 20 minutes or so trying to decide what to do next. I restarted the car and the check engine light was still on but the oil light no longer was. So, a month ago, I had the oil changed. I noticed one day last week that it looked like black smoke was coming through the vents on the dashboard of my car, so I turned the air conditioner off. The smoke went away. Now, this car is not driven very often, and a few days ago, I wanted to check all the fluid levels in the car, and I notice that I was a quart low on oil. There is no sign of a leak under the car, so were Kidd this oil go since I just had an oil change done last week. I really need an answer. Is this worth fixing or should this car be considered a lost cause. I am not going to spend a grand on a 9 year old car that has already has its transmission replaced. Please help.
13»