Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oldsmobile Intrigue Maintenance and Repair

14567810»

Comments

• This is follow-up to my post re: SES, trac off lights being on intermittently. The car would not pass inspection throwing codes...primarily P404 (EGR). The EGR valve was replaced and the SES light is off. NOW, the trac off light is on steady. What is going on? The mechanic who put in the used transmission (all the problems started after that), said there were no wiring issues (grounds good, wheel sensors checked out), etc. So why is the trac off light on steady now? And I don't mean I've turned it off. I cannot turn it on!

Thanks for any help with this one.
  • This is a follow up to my 'Help! SES, Trac off' message...

Now I have more unresolved issues! After I got the car to pass inspection with an EGR valve replacement, the code P404 went away...along with the SES light.
    Good news, right? Well, what I STILL have are the Service Vehicle Soon and Trac Off lights coming on....traction control and cruise stop working. Also had hard starting which I have never had (even in the coldest weather here). That (the hard starting) began after the EGR replacement.
    Through all of this, the car runs fine once it starts.

Had already been to AutoZone and had them check my battery, which was fine...BUT the diagnostic strip said 'check charging system, alternator and connections'. The guy who checked the battery there said...maybe a parasitic drain on the battery. OK.

Took it back to the place where they replaced the transmission (twice) and the EGR valve. Mentioned the SVS and trac off light issue, but they didn't have time to deal with that...though they kept it all day.
    Long story short...they replaced the battery for $152.00. Said it was fine.
    Really??? Next morning, same thing...hard starting.

Yesterday, took it to a dealership. They found the battery connections corroded, cleaned them and it started fine.
    This morning is the test...temp here is 14 degrees...so if there is going to be a hard start issue, it will be today.
    The interesting thing is, I drove around a bit after the dealership cleaned up the battery connections, and the SVS and Trac Off lights did NOT come on, as they have been doing.

That's another issue I will be watching today, because those lights always come on eventually....oh, along with the Security light occasionally.

I have gotten some great advice here, and really appreciate it. Problem with mechanics is that, in general, they don't troubleshoot, just replace parts.

Will post what happens today!!
  • This is a follow up to my 'Help! SES, Trac off' message...

Now I have more unresolved issues! After I got the car to pass inspection with an EGR valve replacement, the code P404 went away...along with the SES light.
    Good news, right? Well, what I STILL have are the Service Vehicle Soon and Trac Off lights coming on....traction control and cruise stop working. Also had hard starting which I have never had (even in the coldest weather here). That (the hard starting) began after the EGR replacement.
    Through all of this, the car runs fine once it starts.

Had already been to AutoZone and had them check my battery, which was fine...BUT the diagnostic strip said 'check charging system, alternator and connections'. The guy who checked the battery there said...maybe a parasitic drain on the battery. OK.

Took it back to the place where they replaced the transmission (twice) and the EGR valve. Mentioned the SVS and trac off light issue, but they didn't have time to deal with that...though they kept it all day.
    Long story short...they replaced the battery for $152.00. Said it was fine.
    Really??? Next morning, same thing...hard starting.

Yesterday, took it to a dealership. They found the battery connections corroded, cleaned them and it started fine.
    This morning is the test...temp here is 14 degrees...so if there is going to be a hard start issue, it will be today.
    The interesting thing is, I drove around a bit after the dealership cleaned up the battery connections, and the SVS and Trac Off lights did NOT come on, as they have been doing.

That's another issue I will be watching today, because those lights always come on eventually....oh, along with the Security light occasionally.

I have gotten some great advice here, and really appreciate it. Problem with mechanics is that, in general, they don't troubleshoot, just replace parts.

Will post what happens today!!
  • Posted in January about strange things happening with my gauges....tachometer, etc were all going crazy. Also SVS and trac off lights were coming on and staying on.
    Then, hard starting intermittently began.
    Had that checked out and new battery installed.
    Same problems.
    Finally, alternator replaced and the gauges are fine and SVS & trac off lights are not coming on.
    Now.....why was it so difficult for the mechanics to figure out my alternator was bad?

Just wondering.

Anyway, it's a shame that my car's body is being eaten away by the salt (tons of rusted areas), because I still think the 3.5L engine is great and the ride is just fine.
  • ronandcoronandco Posts: 2
    we do not have a lift so we are trying to separate the motor from the trans. we believe that we have taken all the necessary bolts out from the engine to trans. we tried hoisting the motor out a few times and it wouldnt come. now we are stuck, still assessing the bottom to see if there is any miscellaneous brackets or bolts that are holding down the engine or that are causing the trans and engine to split. please answer this!! we are legit stuck!
  • philsiclephilsicle Posts: 2
    How can we tell if the ABS pump is going bad or a potential hazard? Thanks. Phil
  • terryg80terryg80 Posts: 6
    Recently my 2002 Intrigue has started making growling noises from the transmission. At first it would go away once the car shifted into third gear, and a bottle of Lucas stop slip quieted it down for a few days, but the noise has come back and seems to be there through all gears. Also today it was making some crazy noises when I was starting it. The noise goes away when it is in park or neutral.

Am I safe in assuming that it is the torque converter?

Thanks
    Terry
  • Dealer can use Tech I or II to retrieve ABS / chassis codes. Your ABS / Trac / Brake lights may illuminate on dash. The pump should energize after about 8mph. And if it doesn't pulsate when braking hard on slick surfaces, there's probably something wrong. But lack of ABS is only a hazard if you don't know how to modulate your brakes, which you should know regardless.
  • gigi84gigi84 Posts: 1
    hi i have a 01 oldsmobile intruge an well these are the problems sometimes it wont start for maybe between 10 to 30 mins an when it does finally try to start it takes a while an it makes like a air noise for maybe 1 min an then its stops but now when i drive it it also makes that noise maybe 5 times an stops like its trynna pull in air but when it makes that noise my lights dim an also some times my blinkers dont workk an my speakers cut in and out im really going threw it but i need my car recently i had to take it to auto zone an plug it up in witch it told me it was my crank sensor an maybe one of my wires or fuses was bad so i changed the crank sensor it sounds good when u start it now but i went out in the morning an it toook 20 min again to start but when it did it didnt take that extra minute so i guess the crank sensor worked everyone tells me i need to check my wireing but were is it? can anyone help me
  • I have a 2001 oldsmobile intrigue 3.5 v6. There is a drain in the system, a very big one. Got a new battery and new alternator and connectors are good. I've had it in the shop for a little over a week now and the mechanic hasn't figured it out yet. He pulled the gen 10 amp fuse and the draw goes down a bit and there is a fuse inside the car that is draining but still no luck what it could be. I need help.
  • Karen@EdmundsKaren@Edmunds Posts: 5,024
    This post isn't about an Intrigue, but it does contain some good info and ideas what other things to investigate.

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef2398d/5459

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

• gumegume Posts: 1
    edited July 2012
    Hello there, new to the site of Oldsmobiles, and in the constant pursuit of learning new things, i hope somebody can clarify the following a bit, ben reading a lot on the subject but with work and always stuff to do around the house is tough to just sit around a computer reading, anyway, i need to change the wather pump and probably t stat on my 99 intrigue, started to leak around wp gasket, and ben reading several posts regarding this and overheating etc, also that because of how special the wather pump works as well as the special t stat is for this model's cooling system and how diferent it is to other cars, it needs OEM (original) parts instead of autozone, i ask because i had allready bought wather pump from autozone but not yet installed, i do not want to do it twice, i understand Most OEM parts are beter but also on some theres no diference except the price tag, changing w pump and t stat, bleeding etc is no problem so question is: is this models cooling system so special it will not function the same with NON OEM parts ...?? or is it Just the Thermosthat that is so special and i can go with autozone W Pump and T stat from dealer, because there is quite a diference in $$ and these are tough times, and you gota save $$ anywhere you can. Also, is thermosthat really important to put back in or is it just the same to take it out and not to put it back in, i hear some people do that, but
    need to understand if this is ok to consider or will it create somekind of problem in the future and what that is....??
    Thank you all for your attention and comments.
  • For those having problems with this yr and model, here's my story as it might help someone else experiencing the same..Bought a 99 Intrigue with 137K miles. Dude i bought it from wasn't str8 with me when i bought it from him. When I showed up to buy the car it was running already. Should've suspected something right then, but I was too trusting. Test drove it, seemed ok. Bought it, took it home. when I tried starting it next day took 3 times to start. Next day 5, next day 10, etc..took it to a mechanic, he said it was the camshaft position sensor..375.00. Still had the same prob..gave it a tune up..200.00..still the same prob..finally tried the starter..350.00 and problem is SOLVED..you might want to have the starter checked b4 all else..for this model and yr its located under the car, not under the intake manifold as I've heard in the past. Best of luck..I'm happy now, lol...
14567810»