Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Prius vs VW Golf TDI

Comments

• gogogodzillagogogodzilla MarylandPosts: 698
    Camry vs Accord?!?

What's the difference? A Camcord is a Camcord is a Camcord.

Now compare a Passat vs Mazda6 vs Camcord... that'd be interesting.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,624
    I know where VW could pick up some extra factory capacity for diesel engines, right here in the U.S., and real cheap! ;)

If there were enough demand here, VW would add the capacity for it. Maybe they could build Golf TDIs (using that new U.S. diesel factory) alongside the new mid-sized sedan being built in the States.
    I couldn't agree with you more. If all the VW crowd has to crow about are good seats then the laugh is sure on them.

Actually, they were just replying to your original assertation that VW seats were cr@p in the '90s.

BTW: Have you considered the amount of smug your emitting into the atmosphere from your Pious?

:P
    NY has this new idling law that they enacted (other states must have something similar too). You can get a very steep fine if you idle more than 3 minutes time.

Sweet! I can't wait to see all the lawsuits that will be filed against the state of NY for setting red light times above the 3 minute mark - mandating it's citizenry to violate the state's own laws.

I heard that the Toyonda Pious can fly faster than light and travel in space! It also has 'ray-guns' to shoot all the evil zombie squirrels that are brainwashing people into drinking the diesel-ade.

That, and it comes with a little robot R2 unit as a rechargeable dog-bot.

Think of all the pollution that was emitted into our environment to make your THREE cars!

Imagine how much cooler the planet would be if you had just kept your 1st generation Prius!

Think of the *CHILDREN*!!! (and the clams, too!)

:surprise:
    Actually, VW is building an auto plant in the states (I think it'll be in Tennessee).

But it's not going to be building diesel engines, though.
    You are so out of date! It was ray guns on Gen 1, phasers (dual settings, kill for diesels, stun for everyone else) for Gen 2, and quantum torpedoes (will take out an entire VW factory) on the 2010.
    Yes, I mentioned that factory in my post. Guess how many closed automotive factories are out there, available for a song, for more VW diesel engines? Lots.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,676
    Sadly most of the empty plants are in UAW territory. You know the workers that bankrupted the Auto Industry in America? Any plant in a town controlled by the UAW will be considered a toxic asset. GM and C will have a hard time unloading them. It would probably cost more to rebuild into a state of the art factory than finding bare land and starting from the beginning. I think Mexico will get the diesel expansion not the USA. They are also big buyers of VW vehicles.
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    Both TDI exceeded EPA mpg, while all the hybrids in the test delivered less than EPA mpg. Interesting.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    Pretty childish don't ya think?
    Yep noticed that. The top two hybrids along with the Smart were certainly within the margin of measurable error. This is the third evaluation of the FFH where the FE rating in actual usage was WAY off the EPA number.

Wassup Ford?
  • john1701ajohn1701a Posts: 1,897
    > Interesting.

How do you figure? EPA estimates are just standardized measures.

The road test revealed 49.2 and 36.2 values, which point out a rather huge difference.
    How do you figure? EPA estimates are just standardized measures.

How do I figure what john?

Observation is that EPA mpg underestimates mpg for diesels and over estimates mpg for hybrids.

Does not matter in the least concerning the Prius as it would not interest me if it was rated at 70 mpg. Mileage can not fix the many faults of the Prius.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,676
    I personally feel the new EPA tests were optimized specifically for the hybrids. The EPA got so much flack over the 60 MPG rating the Prius was given under the old test. Sadly they handed out the tax credits to Prius owners based on the old highly flawed tests. And now the tests are totally off for diesels by the EPA's own admission, and the tax credits are based on the way low mileage. More evidence that the powers in the agency are controlled by the oil companies. If we all started driving diesel cars there would be a gas glut as there is in the UK currently. What to do with all the worthless gas?
    For our money and driving pleasure, we choose the 2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI over the 2009 Toyota Prius Touring. Of course, all that could change in a month or so once we get our hands on a 2010 Toyota Prius which is said to be more powerful, more efficient and up-to-date in terms of infotainment.

No, the epic battle between diesel and hybrid is not over. Not by a long shot. But sometimes it seems as if we're throwing feathers at throttle pedals.
    TDI vs Prius

I'd like to see Edmunds compare the 2010 Golf TDI to the 2010 Prius. Will be nice to see the Prius get spanked again.
  • john1701ajohn1701a Posts: 1,897
    What was the criteria to be eligible for that list?

The Saturn was not sold to anyone. That Two-Mode was canceled, never making it to market.

The diesel wasn't green on two counts. MPG was nothing to write home about (30/41) and the emission rating was bottom of the scale (Tier 2, Bin 5).

Of course, if you note the date of publish, much is revealed. There is something interesting after all.
    Please .... be serious. The EPA tests were designed back in the late 70's. They've done nothing to them since then except apply three 'discounts' to the raw data so as to bring them more in line with real world situations.

The 2nd 'discount' occurred in the early 90's the last 'discount' occurred in Sept 2007.

Facts are your friend. The rest of your rant is victim-speak for 'Woe is me and the dark cloud that always follows me.'