Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Prius vs VW Golf TDI

Comments

• deweydewey Posts: 5,243
    Where are you seeing the Prius mpg being challenged?

Where? How about today's posts. Guiness Book of World Records and the post regarding the missing document that proves that the relative MPG advantage of a Prius is not as large as documented.
    Judging by the sales of Corolla/Civic and many others in the segment,

King of MPG or sales volume?
    You do know the difference between sales volumes and MPG?

The poster that made reference to it, clearly said it was removed

And as I said the smoking gun is not there. How more clearer do you want me to write this?
    VW sales are pitiful in USA mainly because Americans are very well informed with regards to reliability. Hyundai's first step towards its success was its focus on reliability.
  • ruking1ruking1 Posts: 14,487
    "You do know the difference between sales volumes and MPG? "

Now whose doing a dumb impression?
  • I'll take a new 2010 Golf TDI over a Prius. Just sayin'.
    I dont know did I say you were dumb?

Your post was focused on sales volume? What the heck has that got to do with the King of MPG in terms of what is offered by the big auto makers ?
    As was said before, much better mpg cars (which happen to be diesels) are being kept off the US market. Of the ones that make it here, the defacto lower cost per mile driven are for example ,Focus/Corolla/Civic/Fit , etc which happen to be gassers. The US markets are not even close to being serious about the so called RUG to PUG shortage and over consumption if all they do is sing the praises of a very low selling volume hybrid. Especially since that car uses RUG to PUG the very thing that is being advocated to.... cut. That is like a cocaine addict saying the habit is kicked because he is using....less. Indeed all this is cover or real speak for even more imported oil.
    Lowest cost per mile is dependent on how long the owner keeps his car and how much city driving versus highway driving he does.

The longer a Prius is kept means the cost per mile advantage can exceed that of a Fit, Civic or Focus especially if driven mainly in stop and go city traffic.

Vancouver taxis are increasingly Priuses because many high mileage Priuses have proven themselves as providing the lowest cost per miles.

Also a Prius has about as much interior space is more comparable to a Camry than a Corolla, Fit, or Focus . So that comparison itself is not even justified.

In fact if I am not mistaken the VW Golf is less practical and spacious than a Corolla/Matrix.
  • PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,808
    Let's remember... the topic here is NOT hybrid vs diesel. Nor is this a place to get a "personal edge" on things and try to prove something.

If you want to talk about a comparison of the vehicles in the title, great. But let's rein this in and stick closer to the subject please. This has all the earmarks of being right on the edge of personal insults, and that's not going to happen is it?

Thanks for your participation and cooperation.

PFFlyer@Edmunds

Moderator - Hatchbacks & Hybrid Vehicles

Yes even Edmunds has done a B/E analysis on it. LONG time /miles comes to mind.

So for example in 04 , I had the choice of a 04 Civic, 04 Civic Hybrid, 04 Prius for an everyday commute. Just to own hybrids cost 8,000 and 12,000 MORE, respectively. Needless to say 8,000 and 12,000 dollars can buy a lot of commute fuel. In my case @38 mpg Civic vs 42 mpg Civic Hybrid vs 45 mpg Prius, you can do the math to indicate how long it would take to BE.

If 43 years to 64.5 years don't jump out at you ... let me know....

But $8k/12k can buy 2,667 gals-4,000 gals of fuel (@3 per gal) or @38 mpg 101,346 miles to 152,000 miles of commute fuel. :surprise: :shades:

But here is a dirty little secret...While extremely high-mileage hybrids provide eco bragging rights, they don't save much more gas than midsize sedans.
  • Prius is like a camel. Diesel is like a horse. Both can go very long distances. Both have their advantages, but one distinct advantage is that the horse can turn sharply and accelerate quickly when needed -aka- be fun to ride when asked. The camel just goes straight for a really, really long time. Sure the camel can go further before stopping for water, sure it can go right and left, up and down - but it prefers straight, slow, steady and flat.

Hi Yo Silver, Away!!!!!
    Well for sure I hope Toyota has switched to a so called "hard" tank. I have read that folks could have really had a hard time figuring out how much real volume that was left in the tank. So if one wanted to do your "Pruis camel gig" say go 700 miles, the theory could be disturbed by say running out of RUG in the.... Mojave Desert, albeit @ GREAT MPG. I have done this any number of times in a TDI normally 584 miles @ 6.25 hours or 48 mpg (ok 48.264 mpg) since the tank is 14.5 gals and the fuel lamp and buzzer goes off@ 12.1 gals. So @ 48 mpg I have 2.4 gals or 115 miles to look. TDI runs like a horse, but fuels like a camel.................. 2009 Prius is 48/45/46 (Edmunds) @11.9 gals or range of 547. So in effect the horse can go 152 more miles!?
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,676
    Your post was focused on sales volume? What the heck has that got to do with the King of MPG in terms of what is offered by the big auto makers ?

You are not keeping up here. That was our resident Prius salesman using that as some kind of importance in the debate.

Otherwise the Prius has it all over the VW TDI's in just about every category; highway fuel economy, city fuel economy, room inside, reliability, sales volume. Different perspectives.

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f19c3c1/256#MSG256
  • john1701ajohn1701a Posts: 1,897
    > one distinct advantage is that the horse can...

Are you unaware of the PWR button or just hoping that others are not?
    This means absolutely nothing.

I happen to think it does. It means over a long varied route, under all kinds of conditions the Jetta TDI is capable of record breaking mileage. You are also wrong about the driver aspect. There is a very capable fellow Wayne Gerdes that used to post here on a regular basis that has set records with different vehicles including the Prius. Just no one wants to be stuck in an uncomfortable Prius for 9500 miles over all kinds of roads to prove a point. So you are more than welcome to give it a try. Until then the Jetta TDI holds the long distance high MPG record. Records are made to break. Go for it.
    Are you unaware of the PWR button or just hoping that others are not?
    Now we are getting somewhere. A cross country race between a 2010 Prius and the 2010 Golf TDI. Maybe like the one with the ML320 CDI and the RX400h when the diesel beat out the hybrid for mileage champ.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    Seriously now...

YOU set up this thread as Prius vs Golf TDI. Since both are only cars the major difference is the power system; i.e. hybrid vs diesel. This IS the primary subject to discuss.

If YOU don't want a hybird vs diesel discussion then don't set up the discussion that way. YOU know that over the last 5-10 years herein that YOU'RE throwing lighter fluid on smoldering coals.
  • gogogodzillagogogodzilla MarylandPosts: 698
    Eh, it was supposed to be tongue-in-cheek sarcastic humor.
  • gogogodzillagogogodzilla MarylandPosts: 698
    How exactly does simply adding power improve the handling characteristics of a Prius?

A Dodge Viper has a lot of power, but it's suspension is so woefully ill-equipped to handle it... that it takes all the fun out of the drive. But a Lotus with it's 1.8 liter 189-hp engine has a suspension tuned to actually handle the power. So you could whip it around a turn at high speed without ever having to even look at the brakes.
    "...There is a very capable fellow Wayne Gerdes that used to post here on a regular basis that has set records with different vehicles including the Prius."

I do not have references, but I seem to recall an article he penned, where he got Toyota to pony up for a "so called "performance" Corollla and proceeds to coax 59-63 mpg out of it. Pretty good for a 25 mpg combined rating. (136% to 152% better).

On a 2003 Prius, he was able to get 75 mpg from a combined 44.9 mpg (67% better)

So I have no doubt on a 03 Golf/ Jetta TDI or even a 2009 Jetta TDI, that he probably could wring out 136% of 46.4 mpg combined to 109.5 mpg, or of 40.2 mpg combined to 94.87 mpg. respectively.

I can get 59 mpg going 75 mph with burst to 80/85 mph, just trying not to get a speeding ticket on a 03 Jetta TDI, on an EPA rating of 42/49 with 46.4 combined. That is (only) 27% better.

Anyone can google Wayne Gerdes and Toyota and I am sure a lot of articles will pop up.