Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Prius vs VW Golf TDI

Comments

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,623
    I don't think Li-Ion is ready for mainstream yet.

Obviously neither does Toyota. That's why they're doing field testing of 500 cars before they ramp up for production in 2012. What's your rush? Can't wait to buy one of those PHEV Priuses? ;)

One of the best attributes of the Prius is its reliability. Why would Toyota want to jeopardize that by rushing new technology to market?
    How big is the traction battery on the Golf TDI, and what is its tax credit? In other words... why is this an issue?

A lot of trips in our household are less than 12 miles roundtrip, at city speeds (much less than 60 mph), so that will compute to, what kind of mpg do you think? Pretty high I'd say. :)
  • "Golf 4-door TDI 2.0L 140 hp Six-speed automatic DSG® with Tiptronic® $ 23,889"
    34 mpg EPA composite rating

Prius 4-door 1.8L 134 hp CVT automatic $22,000 - www.toyota.com
    50 mpg EPA composite rating

Consumer Reports defined a $/mpg as a way to rate the cost for any given mileage. So this allows us to use the listed prices by both VW and Toyota along with the EPA mileage to calculate the $/mpg:

$23,889 / 34 mpg = $702.62 / MPG - Golf dollars per mpg
    $22,000 / 50 mpg = $440.00 / MPG - Prius dollars per mpg

Ok, what would be the price of an equivalent Prius using the Golf dollars per mpg:

$702.62 * 50 mpg = $35,131 - Prius priced at the same Golf dollars per mpg

So we have this range of Prius prices, $22,000 to $35,131, to compare the 4-door, automatic transmissions and similar displacement engines.

Bob Wilson
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,681
    I am not sure where you live. In CA the average 2010 Prius is over $29k. The dealer with the largest inventory only had 3 Prius out of 14 under $29k. Making your calculation more like $580 per MPG. Again the Prius may be the mileage champ and have a bit more storage space than the Golf. When you look at the list I do the Prius still comes up short on what is most important to me.
    VW Golf ahead in the following list:
    Handling
    braking
    safety
    wind bucking
    ride
    ergonomics
    quality of materials

Not to mention the fact that Toyota uses insulation in the Prius wiring that seems to attract rats and mice. Another dirty little secret.

Rats love Prius wiring
  • "I am not sure where you live," doesn't matter as the car market place is larger than just the nearest car dealership. We both have access to the same manufacturer's list prices and another, nation wide, public market place, Ebay:

Price - Ebay item - vehicle
    $22,950 - 350251239669 - 2010 Prius
    $25,297 - 360191062085 - 2010 Jetta TDI

I bought our first Prius in 2005 through Ebay and flew to Fort Worth Texas to drive it back. A used, 2003 Prius, I got it for $1,000 under Kelly Blue Book value and added 70,000 miles at over 52 MPG.

When I bought my wife's new 2010 Prius, it was a special offer and I was able to select my dealership. I choose the highest ranked dealership in North Alabama even though it is 45 miles away and I have been pleased with their service.

Costco has a car buying service and it includes the Prius. This means we can actually shop ... we have options. Heck, even Edmunds, our host, has a car location service.

Bob Wilson
    The 2010 Prius is an IIHS Top Safety Pick. The 2010 Golf hasn't been tested by the IIHS yet, or at least the results were not announced. But the 2009 Jetta was a Top Safety Pick so it's likely the 2010 Golf will be also.

Have you driven the 2010 Golf and Prius back-to-back to compare the ride, wind bucking, ergonomics etc.? I haven't, so I haven't made any conclusions yet on how the two cars compare in those areas.

As for rats chewing wiring in a Prius... rats and mice chew wires, and lots of other stuff. That behavior is not restricted to the Prius. I suppose next you are going to try to make some link between the Prius and H1N1. :sick:

http://askville.amazon.com/mice-chew-electrical-wires/DiscussionBoard.do?request- Id=8003348&page=1
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    No Base Model Prius for consumers

qutoe-
    The Prius gets a $400 price increase, starting October 18. The base model of the popular hybrid will now be sold in limited quantities to fleet buyers only. The lowest-end Prius available to the general public will cost $23,150. The top model will be priced at $28,420. -end
  • So the Prius sale ends Oct. 18 ... time to get one now.

Bob Wilson
  • If you are a parent and drive a ’08-’10 Jetta TDI, please email pr@edmunds.com to be interviewed.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• It's almost winter in New England, just drove to Vermont from CT and diesel prices are running slightly higher than premium prices. There's about a 10-20% gap between RUG and diesel, for some reason the spread gets bigger the further north you go (maybe because of heating oil demand?).
    Yes, I have seen that spread lately in MN also.
  • I have driven both the Honda Insight and the Toyota Prius for long distances from a company fleet. Both are good cars -- well finished and put together. They both suffer hybrid "problems" such lackluster acceleration, mushy brakes, and to achieve advertised MPG, the Econ mode has to be used which turns the A/C off while at most stop lights -- turning the A/C off at a stop light when it's 102* in August here in Sacramento is not an option.

I drove the 2010 Golf TDI today and I will be purchasing one very soon. The fit and finish is excellent, loaded with premium features, it stops on a dime, the paddle shifters work wonders, it has almost as much torque as my 2007 Audi A4 3.2 (243 v. 236) and at 30/42 MPG!

If you actually love tearing up a back road the Golf TDI is an excellent alternative (opportunity?) to a hybrid.
  • john1701ajohn1701a Posts: 1,897
    ECO does not turn off the A/C in Prius, it only reduces it.

PWR is available in Prius and works well for situations like hard acceleration when making a left turn at an intersection from a dead stop.

As for the advertised MPG, you can easily exceed it by just driving normal in ECO mode. My 2010 average with 10,362 miles since the end of May is 52.5 MPG.
  • Many claim that Prius is more reliable than Jetta TDIs, to an extent where some say Prius is bulletproof. Well, just go to ODI website at
    http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ and search Prius problems. in the 2006 model has 676 problems reported, whereas 2006 VW Jetta TDI Model has counted around 80 problems. Assuming 40000 Jetta TDIs for 2006 were sold (103,331 VW Jettas in US, and TDIs were around 40% of Jetta sales) and Prius in 2006 sold 107000 units (according to wikipedia), which has more problems per capita? Prius. Prius has less problems in 2009 than VW TDI, but Prius in 2010 shows more problems than VW TDI, according to ODI.
    Welcome to the forum. Keep up the good research. We like facts around here. Not to mention the Jetta is safer and much better handling under all driving conditions. I would expect the new Golf TDI to be even better. The only problem with the Golf TDI is lack of units available to US. I am sure the dollar has killed the incentive to bring many to our shores. The EU gets all the good stuff and the US gets the dregs.
  • eliaselias Posts: 1,830
    possibly it can be considered an advantage for tdi in that the vehicle actually slows/stops 100% of the time when you hit the brake, shift to neutral, or turn off key.
    Apparently Toyota Prius is incapable/unreliable with those simple functions, as reported by Toyota and the 2000 who reported/confirmed the issues to NHTSA and 200 dead/injured toyota customers due to the egregious design flaw.
  • john1701ajohn1701a Posts: 1,897
    >> http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ and search Prius problems. in the 2006 model has 676 problems reported, whereas 2006 VW Jetta TDI Model has counted around 80 problems.

Vague use of the word "problem" is enlighting.

Of the 676 problems, look at how many of them had a topic of "headlight" or "headlamp". Turns out, almost all of them (1,497 instances of those words).

Of the 80 problems, look at how many of them had a topic of "transmission". Turns out, it's somewhere around half (178 instances of the word).

In other words, the use of HID lights turned out to be an issue as they age and they are no longer offered. And fortunately, they have absolutely nothing to do with the propulsion sytem... not the transmission.
    You are right. There are a lot of disgusted Prius owners when they find out it costs $900 to replace a stinking head light. A very good reason to avoid all that high tech Crapola in the Prius. Is that why you dumped your near new Prius?
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    Dismiss all Toyota problems, they will just go away.
    Prius unintended acceleration.
    Truck frames rusting and breaking.
    Engine sludge.
    Yep, infallible.....
  • Actually, problems with HID can be extremely dangerous when they go off at night.