Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Prius vs VW Golf TDI

Comments

• Don't forget the difference in the price of diesel versus regular. Here in New England diesel is slightly more expensive than premium, around 15% more than regular. This cuts into the cost savings over the regular gas compact cars, against the Prius it really makes a big differnce.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,681
    Here in CA diesel and RUG are both running about $2.79 per gallon. Though diesel varies widely from $2.57 to $3.49 per gallon. RUG varies from $2.69 to $3.48. Premium is $2.91 going all the way to $3.75.

Bottom line is a person should drive both and make the decision based on need and wants. For me the MPG is not at the top of the list.
  • ". . . What caused me to decide on the Golf TDI was the comfort of the sport seat and the feel of the leather wrapped steering wheel. The bolstering of the seat was snug and I was able to find the perfect seat adjustment. . . ."

That is how it should be. Your money, your requirements, and your decision. Others have a different weight for their requirements and that of course is their right ... it is their money.

GOOD LUCK!
    Bob Wilson
  • I'm hunkering down for a 3-4 month wait for my TDI. The dealer was not encouraging about any quick delivery. This is okay. Anticipation is fun. And I really don't need the car until my girlfriend's leased vehicle's miles are used up. Then I'll pass my Subaru Outback to her.
  • "Then I'll pass my Subaru Outback to her."

What are her vehicle requirements?

Bob Wilson
  • or prius lovers look at the article below

http://money.ca.msn.com/investing/news/breaking-news/article.aspx?cp-documentid=- - 23395619

That doesn't sound like 'a bulletproof' vehicle. at least in 2010 or in other prius models such as 2006 where now there are over 700 problems (773 at 1:21PM PST on 2/4/10) reported by NHTSA. Also for the record, people who think tranny problems are worse than brake problems, BOTH of these problems can get people killed on the road. And in terms of more problems per capita according to NHTSA in the recent models between Prius and TDIs, Prius wins it hands down almost all the cases from 2006.
    2009 Prius seemed to be more reliable than 2009 Jetta TDIs, but the 2009 Prius problems reports have increased faster than 2009 Jetta TDIs. It can be than Jetta TDI drivers don't want to report their issues, but how come the Prius problems are increasing by the day?

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ Just go to this website and type Prius 2006 or any other year. Only 2009 has reported relatively low amount of problems (but they are piling up as I speak) . Then the bad streak started again in 2010.
  • All the toyota fans still think the reliability is bulletproof? looks like Toyota's been taking a nap on quality control.
    Makes the choice between a Prius and a Golf TDI a no brainer. VW is known for being able to stop when you apply the brakes. They also have had safe guards against unintended acceleration for over a decade. If Toyota had spent the money on engineering the hybrids on simple diesel solutions we would all be better off and safer on the roads.
  • gogogodzillagogogodzilla MarylandPosts: 698
    Wait for it. You know that all the die-hard Toyota owners will now be claiming that reliability doesn't matter. That it's all about handling, performance, and fun.

Oh, wait... Toyota doesn't have any of that to tide their owners over until reliability improves.

:P
    Toyota is recalling all their 2010 Prius world wide. They are unsafe braking on ice and rough roads. One of our posters was unlucky enough to get one of the first models. Hope he has not had a failure. It is a software problem. That gives me a warm fuzzy feeling knowing the only thing between me and stopping a car is a computer program. Let's get back to basics. Straight hydraulic brakes work and give plenty of warning before they start to fail. VW has some of the best braking systems in the World. Makes the Golf TDI a great choice if you can find one. They sell before they get off the truck.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,623
    That gives me a warm fuzzy feeling knowing the only thing between me and stopping a car is a computer program.

I thought the Golf TDI has ABS, also ESC--yes? Those are computer-controlled systems. So for drivers of the Golf TDI, or any ABS-equipped car, the only thing between them and stopping the car is a computer program.
    Not exactly. The Prius computer control does not allow hydraulic to work under certain conditions. With most DBW systems you can over ride and manually brake the car. Has something to do with the regenerative/ABS system in Toyota hybrids for 2010. Just like the 2004 Prius. It was a couple years before they got the bugs worked out. Plus the VW models have brake over ride to avoid the SUA that is possible in about 8 million Toyotas.
    And the computer controls the emergency brake also?

Also do you have a link substantiating that the hydraulic brakes on the 2010 Prius do not work under certain conditions? According to Toyota, a driver can feel a pause in the braking when the vehicle switches between the hydraulic brakes and the electronically operated braking system under certain circumstances, but the brakes work if the driver keeps pushing the pedal. A "pause" is different from not working, IMO.
    A one second pause can be the difference between stopping in time and hitting the car ahead of you. Toyota is not recalling for any other reason. Check out the NHTSA ODI on the 2010 Prius Brakes. They have gotten 969 complaints to date. That is a phenomenal failure rate. Toyota claims 37,000 sold in USA. One out of every 38 owners will experience brake failure.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/results.cfm
    A one-second pause is not "brake failure". Let's not make this problem bigger than it is, just to puff up your fav car vs. a car you loathe. Besides, it's not as if the Golf/Rabbit was never recalled. So why pound on Toyota for this recall?
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    When there was a problem with a clip in the regulator of VW power windows the irrational VW hater crowd went on about if for years. Same response when there was a problem with coils in VW 1.8T engine.

The pious among the hybrid worshiping crowd tend to rant unceasingly of the lack of VW reliability.

Recall may only be a software flash for the Prius and a couple of shims for the majority of Toyota's, it's still a serious issue that is attracting major media coverage every day.
    Ask the media why Toyota recall is front page news?

Prius reputation is tarnished.

For the record, 2010 Golf TDI has not been recalled.
    Not yet. ;)

The story of VW unreliability over the years is fact, whether you choose to admit it or not. Not tarnished... more like caked with corrosion. But VW seems to be getting its act together with the more recent Golfs.

I bet if the software problem on the Prius had not followed Toyota's accelerator debacle, it would not be receiving nearly as much attention as it has.
    And its sister the Audi A3 TDI was crowned Green car of the year at yesterdays Super Bowl. Rightly so I might add. If it was an Allroad I would be knocking down their door to get my hands on one.
  • So is the story of Prius unreliability over the last few years. Just search 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2010. Only 2008 has less than 500 problems in the NHTSA search.
    Toyota has really outdone themselves with the 2010 Prius. I have never seen a vehicle on the ODI with that many complaints. And to think they have only sold 37,000 according to Toyota.