Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Prius vs VW Golf TDI

Comments

• gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    I have sat in both and the Edmund's article is spot on. The VW seats are superior. I am hoping the 2010 Golf TDI has the same seats as the 2009 GTI. They are wonderful.
  • ctlctl Member Posts: 129
    It is true that Jetta and Golf have had a long history and loyal cult followers, mostly young folks. They are German (the magic word), solid, fun to drive. But they are also small, unreliable and relatively expensive to buy and keep, especially after the fun wear off. Knowing that, the majority of people under budgets now choose the japanese counter parts (civic/corolla...).

What's putting them back to the main radar screen then? diesel, MPG, price for fuel. Would TDI be as sexy if it is only a more efficent gas engine that give you the same MPG?? diesel is nothing but a variety of gas.

The small cult of followers now finally have something to brag about and cheer outloud about it. But does that make a difference? They are and will still only be a very small %, after the fun wear off...
    I can tell you one thing the dealers in San Diego are thrilled with the response to the Jetta TDI sales. Half of the sedans and 80% of the Sportwagens sold are diesel. You could not be more wrong about regular unleaded and diesel as fuel. Diesel offers a lot more energy per gallon than RUG. And the crap gas we get in CA with ethanol kills the mileage on my 3 gas vehicles. I will never buy another gas engine unless they eliminate the ethanol.

PS
    According to Edmund's inventory. There is not a Sportswagen TDI available in San Diego County.
  • jpeters1970jpeters1970 Member Posts: 82
    I couldn't agree with you more. If all the VW crowd has to crow about are good seats then the laugh is sure on them. All I know is that the German cars in general have very firm seats. The litmus test for me is if my butt does not ache when I get out of the car, then the seat is fine. In the VW I had back pains and actually traded the car in and lost money due to the fact it was relatively new. (Volvo has the best seats, like living room furniture)

VW, Audi has the best interiors in the business but on the opposite side of the spectrum has the worst electronic gremlins I've ever seen. What is the benefit of a nice interior if the car is in the shop half the time? LOL :confuse:

I would imagine the TDI has special seats to absorb all the vibrations from the diesel engine. I still find it amazing how a diesel engine stays together with such high compression. Unfortunately way too much buzzy feelings transmit through the steering wheel and gear shifter making for a very uncomfortable city car. The Prius OTOH is smooth/silent as silk. Love it!!!
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Toyota has the best hybrids in the business but on the opposite side of the spectrum has the most boring cars I've ever driven. What is the benefit driving a hybrid "look at me, I'm green" boring appliance if it is in the garage half the time and you have to buy a Camaro to have and driving enjoyment? LOL.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Some people get a smile of enjoyment cruising along at 50 mpg. There are different ways to find enjoyment. Personally, I'm past the Camaro days. Driving a big barge like that isn't my idea of fun, even if it does have a big V8 in it. I find smaller, more nimble cars more fun. And easier on the pocketbook.
    Toyota does make the best CARS in the business, however each vehicle serves its own purpose. I absolutely ADORE my Prius for the fuel economy, the gadgets, the proven reliability and its versatility. However, if I want to autocross, carve mountain roads I certainly won't do it in a Prius. That is not its function. I absolutely fell in love with the looks of the Camaro and based on early reviews I'm really looking forward to getting it. I opted for the six cylinder as that is enough power for me. I look forward to going out to the beach towns and exploring some unhidden treasures along the Hudson Valley. It's nice to be able to afford the best of both worlds. I'm sure those two will just get fine together in my garage. Gotta love it. LOL!!
    Better get em while they are still legal in the USA.

Toyota Hybrids Blocked From U.S. Due to Patent Issues?

Toyota faces patent infringement claims from a company called Paice LLC. Paice filed an official complaint with the U.S. International Trade Commission on Thursday in Washington, D.C. The fling, not immediately available for public viewing, claims that Toyota has infringed upon several of the patents awarded to Paice in regards to drive trains for hybrid vehicles. Paice's filing seeks a complete ban on several Toyota models from out market including the Prius, Highlander Hybrid, Camry Hybrid, and several Lexus hybrid models.

http://www.allcarselectric.com/blog/1034920_toyota-hybrids-blocked-from-u-s-due-- to-patent-issues

The VW TDIs may soon pass Toyota hybrid sales. VW sold same percentage Jetta models as the Prius in the Cash 4 Clunkers program. We have to assume most were diesel as they have the best mileage advantage for trades with 18 MPG clunkers

http://www.autoobserver.com/2009/09/new-math-cash-for-clunkers-numbers-dont-add-- up.html.
    That's an unlikely outcome. Hybrids mean too much to Toyota to have them blocked from the U.S. It's more likely Toyota would settle out of court with Paice if Toyota thinks there's a good chance Paice will prevail in the suit.
    I thought Toyota settled that long time ago. Seems like they are just trying to outlast them. Typical big corporate tactic. Hire more lawyers and hope the other guy runs out of money. Toyota is losing money right now from overbuilding in the US. How much will they spend to keep a marginal product on the market? I doubt they make as much on a Prius built in Japan as a Camry built here.
    OMG... this news is older than Jesus. Do you actually think Toyota is going to lose a case like this. You have to be really naive to think that. LOL Toyota will just buy the company with their massive cash reserves. If I'm not mistaken the law firm representing the company is a real scheister firm. They sue anything and see what sticks. As far as TDI's outselling Prius. Not in your wildest dreams. Maybe in Germany, Not here in the good ol USA. Americans don't and will not buy diesels in any numbers significant. Guess thats why VW shelved their dumb commercial. It wasn't working LOL!!! :confuse:
    NY has this new idling law that they enacted (other states must have something similar too). You can get a very steep fine if you idle more than 3 minutes time. Now as you all know, the Prius is silent at idle (engine is off) and if you happen to be waiting for someone curbside or on any public street for that matter, you will be ticketed if you idle more than three minutes. That means that I can remain cool in the summer and warm in the winter if I happen to waiting for passengers. If I had a TDI (or any normal gasser for that matter) I would be forced to shutdown. Even if the Prius battery runs low, the engine will kick on but for LESS than three minutes to recharge the battery a bit. Gotta love that technology!!! LOL :P
    ...other states must have something similar too...

I know my state doesn't. But somehow I'm not surprised NY does. :P
    We're also the king of red light cameras and 10% ethanol gas, $11 bridge tolls. Okay, I'm getting sick. Only reason I've stayed is the MONEY.
  • banditboybanditboy Member Posts: 54
    Toyota builds some awesome diesel engines that are not imported inside US.This is a funny thread as toyota probabily sells 10,000 diesel in europe and asia for every pirus here.Cannot wait from them to be imported here.
  • diezelhadiezelha Member Posts: 1
    Unfortunately they won't because market research shows that it would not sell here. I am kinda surprised that they wouldn't even take a chance, but I guess it would erode their hybrids sales if it was successful. I own an old Mercedes diesel (mid 80's) and a 2005 Prius. The Merc just won't die but I haven't the heart to retire it.
  • thammer62thammer62 Member Posts: 48
    Prius= great city and hwy mileage, low poluter, "green" supporter, odd handling and looks, very reliable, expensive battery replacement cost and mostly unknown used car value after said battery dies

Golf tdi = great hwy mileage and impressive torque, good city mpg, fun to drive on a daily basis, decent looking, not the best reliability track record, high resale value

There is my on topic comparison. Merely my opinion. Sorry for offending prius owners earlier.
  • marlyecemarlyece Member Posts: 26
    i'm with you thammer62 although the reliability should be much improved. we'll see. there were those issues with the false neutral ALTHOUGH it was a simple fix and they seemed to have resolved that for the '10 lineup.
  • deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    Regarding expensive battery replacement costs:

Vancouver has various taxi companies that used Priuses for the last 10 years and here's the shocker despite hundreds of thousands of miles of driving there has been no reported battery replacement. NONE! A larger number of Vancouver taxis are becoming Priuses because of this battery reliability.

I drive a 83 MB300D. A while ago in Europe many MB diesels were like mine because of their low long term costs. The same applies to the Prius in Vancouver.

Battery replacement costs is more of a worry than a fact since batteries in Priuses are hardly ever replaced unlike expensive V6 transmission on various Honda/Acura vehicles

Unknown resale values if the battery dies? Indeed! But when does that happen? Sort of like saying unknown resale values for a Golf when the transmission dies (which ofcourse is not more frequent than other models)

All future resale values are unknown. But based on past figures it's been over 10 years now and Prius resale values at least here in Canada are doing quite well. And if I am not mistaken USA has had the Prius for over 10 years and I am sure resale values are not unknown or are not atrocious when compared to other cars.

So let me rephrase the comparison:

Golf tdi = great hwy mileage and impressive torque, good city mpg, fun to drive on a daily basis, decent looking, terrible and almost consistently bad reliability ratings, high resale value > How long has VW been making cars? How long does it take this company to figure how to make reliable cars? To say that the new VWs are different in terms of reliability is like saying all politicans are different because they are far more honest now. VW has a multi-decade history of building sub-par cars. The fact that one or two VW models have a recently good reliability ratings means nothing until we find out their 3 to 5 years ratings.

Prius= great city and hwy mileage, low poluter,, odd handling and looks, very reliable, great technology in terms of its drivetrain, highly space efficient interior. No masochistic torture for a fifth rear seat passenger like what is experienced in a Golf/Jetta.

Green supporter? I am not a green supporter at all and I dont mean to offend mother nature by saying so. Why am I driving a Prius? I love the technology that this car has. And what makes the Prius so attractive is its reliablity as a high technology car. Very few high tech cars are reliable especially among the German Marques. I love the engineering involved in terms of its focus on fuel efficiency. I love the fact that this car will consume less fuel from countries that are hostile to our democracies. . I love this car because no other car company can make a car like a Prius. NONE!

Have you noticed all the press releases from every major car company in the world these past five years. How they are going to introduce Prius beaters ? Even VW these past many years expressed their desire to build hybrids. But why the great delay? Because every auto maker knows they cant make a Prius beater no matter how hard they try. That is a lesson that was learned by Honda with its Insight.
    I give up, and I will just agree. The Prius is the greatest car ever. Moving on, I am.
    no kidding, it's as if these toyota fanatics knit the prius in their womb. very attached to it we are, aren't we? i'm over it too. so much for a normal debate.
    A Toyota fanatic?

Knit the Prius to my womb?

Wow talk about a normal debate here.

Apparently you are not even capable of raising one single factual point to debate with regards to my last post and I guess that is why you have to resort to such low-brow prissy respones.

I was hoping someone here would find many flaws with my arguments so this debate can continue. But apparently that is not the case. Thanks for making it sooo easy. :P

HINT: there is a flaw in my statement below:

I drive a 83 MB300D. A while ago in Europe many MB diesels were like mine because of their low long term costs. The same applies to the Prius in Vancouver.

What I really meant was that many European taxis were like my MB300D just like many Vanouver taxis are like my Prius. Both cars share one thing in common: Low long term maintenace costs.
    looks like you are debating yourself here because i think the prius is the most fantastic car on the planet and there is no other like it. it goes 0-60 in 2 seconds and is exceptionally comfortable. it performs amazingly in the slolem test, too! unparalleled handling! oh and the battery will never cease, forgot to mention that attribute. all hail the PRIUS!
    Prius is a worthy contender for folks seeking to maximize fuel mileage. It's just not for me. Responsive handling, great ergonomics and interior quality, good reliability and excellent mileage are all provided by VW TDI. Fun to drive with great mileage and value.

Automotive enthusiasts seem to feel the same way about Prius that I do, it is technologically interesting, however, a TDI is the one they prefer to drive.

Hybrids, Diesels and a Smart

First place TDI

Fourth place Prius

I'm no Toyota hater nor am I a VW fanatic.
    HiLux diesel is a vehicle that is #1 in it's class IMHO.
    HiLux D4D is rated at 28 mpg. If only Toyota would offer it's wonderful D4D engines in Tacoma and in other Toyota vehicles.
    yep, the demand is really high for the golf. i doubt they'll be able to keep any in the lots. all the critics are in agreement too and would take the golf over the prius any day. i'm a HUGE fan of the esp on veedubs and they have exceptional handling. i don't want to be sliding all over icy roads come winter.
    Wow I didn't know that the Prius was such a muscle car.
    That's a real good thing to know since I traded in my 07 BMW 335i for a Prius.

A VW TDI sounds very impressive. Wear your helmet if you drive one. :P
    Debating the merits of Prius and Golf TDI can be enjoyable. However their are diesel haters that lurk on this site. They attack posters off site that they do not agree with. Probably teenagers that somehow sneak past the folks here at Edmund's.

Just to clarify a couple things. The 2nd generation Prius that included MY 2004 to 2009 did not arrive here till October 2003. So those models have been here less than 6 years. The first model Prius sold here was 2001-2003. Very few of those were sold. They did have battery issues. None of the 2nd generation have reached their 10 year battery warranty, mandated by CARB rules. So we do not know how they will do over the long haul. If they are still going after 15 years with no big expenses I would agree on their longevity.

That said, the real beauty of the VW TDI is longevity. With many owners keeping their diesels 10-20 even 30 or more years. I see diesel Rabbits and Dashers on Craigslist on a regular basis.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Prius=
    great city and hwy mileage, ...TRUE
    low poluter, ...TRUE
    "green" supporter, ...TRUE
    odd handling and looks, ...TRUE
    very reliable, ...TRUE
    expensive battery replacement cost ...unequivically FALSE. The batteries never need to be replaced. For hundreds of thousands of NA drivers the cost is $0 in nearly every case...however in isolated cases the cost may range from $200 to $2599 which is hardly 'expensive'.
    and mostly unknown used car value after said battery dies. again unequivically FALSE. Since the batteries appear to be living as long as the engine and body with noone actually knowing how far above 250,000 miles the batteries will go, they essentially will last the life of the vehicle with no replacement. Thus this is a moot point.

What is absolutely certain now after 8 years here is that the Prius holds its value far better than any other ICE-only vehicle mass-marketed in similar volumes, gasoline or diesel.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Edmunds put this thread in the forums to bring out TDI advocates and Prius advocates and throw them into the same room together to generate visits, comments, discussion and hits on their website.

This isn't a diesel-only thread nor a hybrid-only thread. It's put out there by Edmunds to create confrontations between two strongly-held viewpoints.

All that can be said is...'to each their own, both positions are right'....just keep it factual.
    If a Prius still brings $3500 to $5500 when it is 26 years old I will be a believer. These are common in my area. They usually sell fast. Especially the PU Rabbit diesels. The only PU ever sold that gets an honest 50 MPG.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/1362482016.html

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/1358339500.html

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/1358248000.html
    How about a 25-year-old Corolla for $5000? Given how much more a 2010 Prius costs compared to a new 1985 Corolla, a 26-year-old Prius should easily fetch over $5000.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/cto/1358524627.html

Or even better, how about a 1976 Corolla for $3650? That is about what I paid for a '76 Corolla new--talk about holding value!

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/cto/1354937022.html
    It is absolutely certain that your statement is incorrect.

What is absolutely certain now after 8 years here is that the Prius holds its value far better than any other ICE-only vehicle mass-marketed in similar volumes, gasoline or diesel.

KBB private party value is higher for 2001 VW Golf TDI $5965 than for 2001 Toyota Prius $5335 with mileage of 150,000 used for both computations.

MSRP when new

Prius $22000

VW Golf GLS TDI $17400

Golf TDI has superior retained value and lower initial cost.

It is absolutely certain that your statement is incorrect.

Diesel wins the retained value.
    What the older Corolla has in common with the older VWs is simplicity. The overly complex Prius will have long since gone to the crusher. New Vehicles do go lots of miles before they are worn out. They are designed for obsolescence before they reach a ripe old age. I would seriously doubt we will see many 2010 Golfs still running around in 2030. Too much crap to go bad and cost more to fix than is practical.
    I would seriously doubt we will see many 2010 Golfs still running around in 2030.

So pretty much a non-differentiator then, eh?
    As I had previously pointed out battery issues with a Prius are non-issues. If they are an issue beyond rare instances then please let me know the facts because I would be glad to hear them.

And what is the replacement cost of these batteries.? Minimal especially when compared to the cost of replacing my 1999 BMW's 323i's Air Bag ICU.

This whole battery issue is an irrelevant bogey man issue dreamt up here in this forum

Oh and by the way do you know how the future generation of diesels will do? These low emission diesels do involve far more complex electronics than my 83 MB 300D or that Diesel VW Dasher you found on Craiglist. Believe me longetivity of 30 years with these new generation diesels are likely to be far more different than those grandfather diesels we see on the roads today. What do you think VW repair costs will be like if those electronics related to low emission begin to malfunction? Nope not a pretty thought indeed.

In fact owning a Prius long term provides more piece of mind than any modern VW diesel today.
    So let me get this straight here.

We got a group of auto enthusiast testers testing a car for its driving dynamics and performance and they dont like the Prius too much.

Aint that a shocker.

If I ever buy a performance car it will have no fuel efficiency pretensions just like my fuel miser Prius has no performance car pretensions.

I want either fuel efficiency or performance. But not both. Why compromise? Owning a top notch performance car and a fuel miser is not a contradiction since both cars offer the best of both worlds. A TDI in itself is neither a top notch performance car or a fuel miser. It's just a compromise. A Prius is the "Real McCoy" in terms of fuel misers.
    This whole battery issue is an irrelevant bogey man issue dreamt up here in this forum

Hardly. Every magazine article about the hybrids and especially the Prius questioned the longevity of the traction battery. The price from Toyota has come down over the last 5 years from over $5000 to somewhere between $2000 and $3000. Until we see them last 10 years without replacement the question still looms. That is over 4 years from now. And just for your information on my trip to Victoria BC a couple years ago I talked to a Prius Taxi driver. He told me there had been batteries replaced by Toyota. We don't know as they don't tell.

In fact owning a Prius long term provides more piece of mind than any modern VW diesel today.

Your piece of mind, not mine. I drive some roads that have high winds with people in Prius inching along to keep from being blown off the road. The Prius is a fine car for a flatlander in an urban setting. If given a Prius I would trade it while it has good resale value. They are noisy little rough riding cars that don't handle worth a hoot.

Performance and handling are subject to where you plan to drive. If you want super performance and handling I think the 335D would satisfy all but the Porsche crowd. If you just like tooling around in mountain winding roads as I do the Golf TDI should be a dandy option.

You can also have ultimate utility, excellent handling and performance in a BMW X5 diesel. And get better mileage on the road than most CamCords. There are options to cover a lot more of the consumers needs than are offered for sale in the USA.
    quote -Best-in-class gas mileage helped, but our goal was to find the car that best suited everyday driving, and Prius never made any of us want to go for a spin.-end

Best suited to everyday driving is not testing for top notch performance.

The shocker is that you interpret a test of high mileage vehicles as a measure of performance. I agree that driving dynamics are important and unlike Prius drivers I refuse to dismiss driving dynamics.
    TDI #1, TDI #2, Fusion Hybrid #3 is not a shocker either. The only area that Prius is a winner is in overall mileage. Prius is a compromise in every other area and is not a winner for everyday driving.

dewey So let me get this straight here.

We got a group of auto enthusiast testers testing a car for its driving dynamics and performance and they dont like the Prius too much.

Aint that a shocker.

If I ever buy a performance car it will have no fuel efficiency pretensions just like my fuel miser Prius has no performance car pretensions.

quotePrius never made any of us want to go for a spin.-end
    Prius never made any of us want to go for a spin.

That is the absolute gospel. I have gone several times to lunch with a friend that has a 2009 Prius. He loves it. Then his other vehicle is a Toyota Tacoma. So he had no real reference of what rides and drives nicely. It was always a pleasure to get out of that car and back into my Lexus or Sequoia. Neither of which I would consider great vehicles. Finding a compromise between great mileage and fun driving will always end up with a German vehicle. I have high hopes for the 2010 Golf. Sadly we may not get the Golf GTD with the high performance 2.0L Diesel engine. America land of the clunkers.
  • john1701ajohn1701a Member Posts: 1,897
    09-09-09 IS MY 9-YEAR PRIUS ANNIVERSARY

Here's my real-world data for those 3 generations I owned during that time, combined:

184,852 MILES total

3,924.4 GALLONS total

47.1 MPG overall

Let's see an automatic non-hybrid diesel do that.

SHOW ME THE DATA.
  • sellaturcicasellaturcica Member Posts: 145
    I think the verdict on this generation of diesel's reliability has to be reserved for the future. There is US only technology that is being deployed by traditionally overcomplicated European manufacturers- There are many potential problem areas that older diesels simply don't have.
    3 Prius in 9 years. Wow, they don't last long do they.
    If would have driven a diesel TDI it would have delivered 40 mpg plus and at only 185,000 miles it would still have years of life left.
    john1701a,

184,852 miles of some really boring driving. What good is 47 mpg if you can't have some fun driving?

Say it with me Prius guy:
    The Golf TDI is fun to drive (or at least more fun to drive than Prius).
    The Golf TDI is fuel efficient (just not as fuel efficient as a Prius).
    The Golf TDI has character (just like the Prius has character - just diff styles).
    The Golf TDI is good for the environment (much more so than a gasser).

And I, diesel guy, admit the following with ease:
    The Prius is very fuel efficient (the most fuel efficient car in this segment).
    The Prius has a great reliability record (impressive tech that lasts, well done 'Yota).
    The Prius is very good for the environment (plus, green = good community points).
    The Prius does not handle very well, nor is it really designed to handle well.

Can everyone agree these above items are true? I know why each side hates the other but lets agree on these. This is my last ditch effort at reasoning with Prius guy. Make me proud Prius guy.
    i'm with you, thammer. on toyota's payroll for sure. behaving as if there is no viable option other than the prius.
    > they don't last long do they.

Do you honestly anyone is actually going to believe that?

The dealer paid decent $$$ for the trade-in.

They were my contribution to the used market. So, someone who wasn't looking for a new model had something available to buy.
    > The Golf TDI is...

Notice how each claim is vague.

Not quantifying is a common greenwashing technique.

Let's see actual numbers.

Again, SHOW ME THE DATA.
    Some Prius owners are convinced it is the only option worth using. I can beat John's lifetime mileage by at least double by riding the bus and trolley system in San Diego. I have a man that catches the trolley at the border in the wee hours of the morning. Rides to the last stop about 45 miles from the start. Gets on a bus for the last 16 miles. Works all day for me and repeats going back to his home in Tijuana. All for only $5 per day. Or as little as $18 per month unlimited usage for those over 60 or disabled. No way you can drive a Prius or any other car for $5 per day, all day. At $3 per gallon average John spends about $1300 per year just on gas. I can ride the bus and trolley a million miles per year for $216. The point being a cheap ride is not the end all. Until someone offers me a vehicle with the utility, comfort and room of my Sequoia using half as much fuel on the highway I will just keep paying for gas getting 15 MPG. I could cut most of those miles in a year with a car like the Golf TDI. It would not really save any money. Just like buying 3 new Prius over a 9 year period is not economical. I can show that I have not wasted as much fuel over the last nine years as John with vehicles all getting less than 25 MPG. For the money spent on 3 Prii John could have owned a very nice luxury car getting 30 MPG and had plenty left over to pay for the gas. Nothing economical about owning a Prius. Get a Fit or Yaris if you really think saving is the end all.
    That sure is off-topic. In fact, it's a rather desperate attempt to avoid the discussion.

54.1 MPG is the average in my 2010 as of 6,840 summer miles.

What's yours?
    can i ask why the prius fans can't enjoy their prius and the vw fans be free to enjoy the golf? they are very unique and separate cars with different attributes. i'm not sure why some prius folks must discount the many positive attributes of the golf??? live and let live.
    I already told you the Sequoia gets 15 MPG on this CA crap ethanol gas. !7 MPG on decent Regular unleaded. How well does your Prius pull a 7000 lb trailer? Or how comfortable is it for 7 people on a long road trip? If owning a car was only about mileage the Prius would be ok. It is not near the top of my wants and desires in a vehicle. Ever run down a sandy wash in your Prius? And it sure is not as much fun to drive as a Golf TDI once you get out of the stinking cities. Which I try to avoid. Sometimes going an extra 100 miles or more out of my way. You like your Prii and that is good. It would not convince me if it got 100 MPG going 90 MPH all day long. I have driven and ridden in them enough to know they are not for me. Aside from the fact they are downright ugly and have horrendous blind spots.
This discussion has been closed.