Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Article Comments - 2009 Hyundai Genesis Full Test

Karen@EdmundsKaren@Edmunds Posts: 5,026
Genesis. Sounds like a great new beginning, and it is. The 2009 Hyundai Genesis sedan is the first V8-powered rear-wheel-drive luxury sedan from the Korean carmaker for our market, and it's a game-changer in many ways. As with the Sonata and Azera that preceded the Genesis, Hyundai is taking the fight to the establishment.

Read more and tell us what you think!

Full Test: 2009 Hyundai Genesis Sedan

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

Comments

• jason25jason25 Posts: 8
    I think that the Genesis is a new beginning for Hyundai. This sedan looks like a great bargain luxury sedan. It has powerful engines, a stylish interior, and it has that upscale presence. Yesterday I showed my aunt a picture of the new Genesis and she asked me if that was a new Mercedes. Thats when I realized that Hyundai really did do a great job of giving this car an upscale image. Sure it may be somewhat bland and derivative, but it definitely has a premium look to it.

My main gripe with this car at the moment is the price. $33,000 for the base model? Ouch. I don't know if many people will pay that price for this car. Once you go above $35,000, there are even more choices. Then again, we're talking an Infiniti M/Lexus GS style car for $10,000 less. But still over $30,000 is still a hard price to swallow considering the nameplate. Hopefully they'll have attractive lease deals, and some good discounts to get the cars moving.

Anyhow, this car looks really good on paper. Impressive indeed...
  • I don't care how good the Genesis is, the dealers that sell and service Hyundai's are in a completely different league than Infiniti, Mercedes , BMW or Lexus dealers. They don't have a clue how to take good care of their customers, and the Hyundai USA team is not much better either. I have owned one of their cars since 2002, and it is what Hyundai stands for - cheap transportation. With a major emphasis on cheap. They don't tell you that the electronics aren't covered by the 10 year warranty, or that the rotors will need to be jack-hammered and cracked off the car when they needed to be replaced at the first brake job. Of course, that's not covered by the warranty either. You get what you pay for, and at first the features and values look great. Be warned - don't fall for it - this long term owner will NEVER AGAIN consider a Hyundai, I won't even think about it.

If I was Rolls Royce, I'd be completely pissed off that Hyundai was using the same stereo system brand, and I'd throw out Lexicon for selling their system to such a garbage car maker. Hyundai is no luxury car maker and never will be. It's a laughing joke that they are even trying to play in the same space as the real luxury brands.
  • joe97joe97 Posts: 2,248
    Ummm...electronics (i.e. audio system) are covered under the warranty, just not 10/100, so what, big deal...find me another automaker with ten years of warranty coverage on electronics (hint there are none). Same with brake rotors, read the details on the warranty coverage.

Why would RR be pissed off at Hyundai? Helloooo...RR doesn't own Lexicon.

Sorry you didn't have a good experience with your car but that hardly translates into the automaker that is certainly on the rise, judging by its quality products on the market.

Anyway, back to Genesis, I will definitely test drive the Genesis (and the coupe) when they become available. Very impressive by what I have seen (sedan) so far on paper and from in-depth reviews. Rear-wheel drive, exceptional audio systems, powerful engines, safety equipment, with fantastic fuel economy ratings to match and a kick-a** warranty to boot, a test drive could have me signing at the dotted line :)
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,023
    I was Rolls Royce, I'd be completely pissed off that Hyundai was using the same stereo system brand, and I'd throw out Lexicon

Not to burst anyone's bubble here about Lexicon, but, it is just another name in the lineup of Harman International. They are the same people that make JBL, Harman Kardon, Infiniti and Mark Levinson. Just like with Toyota that uses JBL in their line and Lexus gets Mark L. Hyundai usues Infiniti and then their flagship is getting the Lexicon. Nothing to get too excited about. Besides, Lexicon is known for making incredible home theater processors not speakers. Its all marketing....

Sorry for the OT rant but in addition to being a car nut, audio is another passion of mine. If any car maker want to impress me.... put some B & W speakers and Krell components in and you are getting somewhere.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

• carolinabobcarolinabob Posts: 495
    I have had a 2007 Azera for over a year now. I have found Hyundai corporate and the local dealer (Upstate Hyundai, Anderson SC) to be excellent. Their prices for service are so much lower than Lexus, Acura, Infiniti, BMW, MB, et.al. Plush showrooms and service waiting areas are nice, but you end up paying through the nose for them.
    Consumer Reports recommends the Hyundai Elantra over Toyota, Honda and all other comparable cars. Highly recommends many Hyundai models.
    No car manufacturers cover everything for 10 years-drive train only. All others are in the regular warranty and Hyundai publications state this.
    Hyundai can make a luxury level car, but will not be able to compete with the above as a Hyundai. But neither can Ford or Chevrolet.
  • dave174dave174 Posts: 25
    Does anyone know when the first date of release will be in Southern Calif for the Genesis?

I hope the dealers do not rape and pillage those of us that have an interest in the Genesis by quoting over sticker and beyond.

That would be a real shame and a good way to allianiate new upcoming customers to the Hyundai lineup here in the US.

This car has a lot going for it, and if Hyundai plays it right with fair pricing, great financing and availability, they Hyundai will get their desired market share here in the US without a doubt.

If not and the dealers take advantage via price, I for one will go back and wait and look at the 2009 GS 350 and other simular vehicles.

I hope these ivory tower executives at Hyundai have not under estimated the American buyer at this price range.
  • ace47ace47 Posts: 6
    I don't know why most of you guys are tripping. This is the companies first attempt and so far they are doing a good job. And you guys are acting like BMWs and other luxury cars can do no wrong. And some of you want a already cheap car to be cheaper, not paying any attention to the brands that it will be competing against. If it can pull 0to60 in less than 6, I can see a lot of young couples being interested.
  • Sorry guys, the electronics are NOT covered by the warranty (check the fine print) and no, I don't expect rotors to be welded onto the wheel hubs because of a poor design. Hyundai's are a cheap copy of the much better designed and engineered European cars that they are so shamelessly trying to emulate. Korean manufacturers are not known for anything original, and this car is no different. The devil is in the details and I would not trust anything from these guys ever again.

They like to throw words around like inexoensive, and value, but CHEAP POS is closer to the truth.
  • joe97joe97 Posts: 2,248
    Open your warranty book, and I'd bet you it is covered. In fact, I am looking at one right now.

As for the rest of blab - Deja vu? Hasn't people said the same thing about the Japanese not so long ago? I thought so :)
  • moocow1moocow1 Posts: 230
    Every time I see a message like this, all it makes me think is "This guy must have overpaid for a worse car". I'm glad to have my american made hyundai built from a new modern plant :)
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    If you are not interested in this car, we will gladly excuse you from attending this discussion. :)
  • Why are these writers, and some consumers, still putting Lexus/Infiniti behind the BMW and MB? I own a Lexus not because I could not afford a BMW. I got the Lexus by choice because it's a better all around vehicle than a BMW or MB. Sure, if your only criteria is handling, then the Germans are probably your better choice, but because I put on about 25K miles per year on my car, leasing is not an option. Therefore, since I have to buy, I am going to buy the best and most reliable vehicle. BMW/MB are not reliable vehicles for the long run.

So, when I read the BMW/MB driver would not consider a Lexus, but maybe the Lexus owner should give this a look... so because BMW owners are snobs, Lexus owners shouldn't be? :P
  • kenb757kenb757 Posts: 149
    Didn't know Harmon made all those brands. Seems to run the gamut, except for Bose. I had a Bose system in my '06 Q45, but it was nothing to write home about. The CD player wouldn't even play mp3s.
  • jaymagicjaymagic Posts: 309
    Full agreement. I am looking now at 19 months on my 07 Azera. ( Arapahoe Hyundai, Englewood, CO). And, I had an 02 GL350 from them before the Azera. While I have had only two or three warranty items TOTAL on both cars, I have never had any troubles with my dealership. The sales people were not the most knowledgeable about the GL 350, but they were certainly ok to deal with. Kept every promise and did not try and screw me around. Just did the deals as discussed.

The Hyundai service department has been very easy to work with, and pricing is very competitive (even bring my own synth oil and they change it). Again, they had a few blind spots in knowledge early on , but they did get everything right without me having to fight or even complain. Always felt they were on my side.

Their (Hyundai only) showroom is small (maybe 3 cars if carefully arranged), but I am happy to recommend them. It's not that I don't like to have a waterfall in my car showroom and comfy leather chairs, its just that I don't want to pay for them.

Although I am drooling over the Genesis, I don't see another car purchase for a few years. I do know they have a couple in stock and will be going in, just to check it out. The Genesis review simply confirmed what I have been reading about, and based on my Azera experience, I see no reason to question what Hyundai has produced with the Genesis.
  • I have never understood why people believe that Hyundai has lower quality than Toyota and Honda. Their cars have been highly recommended by Consumer Reports and they are very well-thought out cars that are bargains in comparision to the Japanese rivals. I have owned 2 Elantras and loved them and never had any issues with either of them. My parents have owned their Santa Fe for six years and aside from a burned out bulb, it was been absolutely trouble-free for them.

This new Genesis raises the bar higher. I took a look at one this past weekend and it was amazing. It was so well-built, roomy, and had lots of thoughtful features. The seats were the most comfortable I have EVER sat in and the back seat was extremely roomy for my 6'5'' frame. The car even has a push-button start and has the smart-key. The only aggravating thing was the BMW-esque i-drive system that was a tad confusing to operate the radio and navigation.

To be honest, even if it was $10,000 more, I would take this over a BMW, Lexus, or MB. Mercedes are far from reliable, BMW's always seem a bit cramped, and up until recently, most Lexus models are as dull as the Toyotas they are related to.

The biggest issue I worry about is the Hyundai name on a luxury car. It wouldn't bother me personally, but many luxury car owners would have a hard time having the "italic-H" garnishing their new car. I understand it would've cost a lot to start a new brand and they probably made the wisest decision, but I hope buyers will look past the name brand. If they do, it looks like they will have a bargain
  • Has anyone seen this car yet? I have at the local Hyundai dealer and it is VERY impressive...I pulled up in my 2008 Infiniti G35xS to look at it and a guy in a Lexus GS350 pulls in right behind me to take a peek as well...Maybe we are both "thrifty" but I could care less about the badge. I'm a car guy first and foremost and look for the combo of sport/luxury/features I need. I have not yet driven the Genesis (dealer was closed) but I will this week...Car was unlocked and the materials and fit & finish are top notch. I actually think - unlike some of the auto press - that this will sell despite the Hyundai badge. It is that nice of a car...When Hyundai gets an AWD version out, that will also help boost sales (esp here in the Northeast where 9 of 10 Infiniti G series are the "x" versions). The Genesis looks great, looks high quality and actually looks more compact than I anticipated, yet backseat room is limo-like...This is a game changer.
  • I just took delivery of my v6, silver with black leather and 18 inch wheels, and what a sweetheart it is.

Right out of the box I am getting 28 mpg and it handles like a dream.

I have had cadillacs and lincolns and this one is smoother than any of them.

I am totally impressed at the way it drives and can only hope it stays that way.

I heartlily recommend this machine to anyone,
  • veragenveragen Posts: 34
    Hey Kloss, I seen & drove both Genesis 6 & Genesis 8 at Hyundai Discovery Challenge this was an event took place in Wilmington, DE. Hyundai had a track coarse event with obstacles such as sand, dirt, slippery / bumpy-surface, tight turns and small straightway with a speed-detector. Gen 6 w/tech-pak is very nice & quite and the Gen 8 is just as powerful, stable, roomy & luxury to any high-end cars they were challenging against! I currently own Infiniti I35 and I’ve been test-driving 2008-2009 entry-level luxury-sport sedans So far my favorites are Infiniti G35x , Acura TL and Lexus E350. Now the Genesis is the picture! Like you said “this change the game”

VeraGen
  • This is a great machine, I am totally impressed, it is a very solid machine and handles beautifully with remarkable ride control.

I have the 3.8 with the premium package (silver with black leather) and 18 inch wheels and overall it outperforms most other vehicles I have previously owned including many rental cars.

The V6 is plenty powerful for a car of this size and delivered an astonishing 28+ highway mpg right out of the box, so to speak.

The 6 speed transmission is a paragon of smoothness and shifts seem nearly seamless.

Over the past 50 years I have personally owned over 45 others including Lincolns and Cadillacs so I speak with some experience.

This is no cheapo car but the real thing for those few doubters out there.

Incidentally this particular model is manufactured in Ulsan, Korea for the present.

One satisfied owner's opinion.

RMH