Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HHO kits - Do they really work?

frank74frank74 Posts: 2
edited April 22 in Honda
Looking for people that have tried these kits and their input....I have been doing some research on this and it seems that the people that accually have them say they do work and the people that don't are very scepticle about them......your thoughts

Comments

• frank74frank74 Posts: 2
    Guess not!!!
  • dalton95dalton95 Posts: 1
    I have been experimenting with a Hydrogen Generator for several weeks now. I've tried several different designs, stainless steel plates work the best for me. I tried the plastic with stainless wire wrapped around it. Within 1 week the wire was very brittle and weak.Tweaking here and tweaking there, it does work, I have a 94 Nissan Sentra. The generator I have on it now, is working the best so far. I'm not sure about mpg yet, but I filled up the gas tank and drove 193 miles and the gas hand now sits just below 3/4 of a tank. Before the generator, I had to use at least a half tank to get 200 miles. I tried the O2 extender that I've read about, it was only a couple bucks, so I figured what the hell. This wonderful little device is CRAP. It actually hurt my mileage, so , of course it's gone now. Give it a try, it's cheap and idiot proof....a kid could build one of these....Good Luck.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,854
    You'll need a little better evidence and a bit more accurate information than assessing it using your gas guage as to how much fuel was used to declare "it works".

This idea/technology has been around since the early 1900's. If it actually did what it claimed, you'd think that by now it would have been proven.

The Environmental Protection Agency evaluates after-market retrofit devices like this, but only at the request of a manufacturer, and only after an independent laboratory has conducted preliminary tests showing “significant improvement” in fuel economy or emissions reduction.

To date, no manufacturer has applied for these tests, and the U.S. government has not addressed hydrogen fuel enhancement.

The clincher for me that this is snake oil is the claim by folks that this is being "actively supressed by 'big oil' so they can maintain their profits.

Right. And the goverment is probably running HHO kits on all the vehicles in Area 51 :P

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• brian76brian76 Posts: 39
    hi dalton
    did you buy a kit or make this device yourself? If you made it yourself would you please provide a website that gives detailed insructions. Also now that you've had a few more days of driving, what is your actual mileage? I would like to try it myself .It seems that's the only way to know for sure if it works.. since there are so many claims for and against it.Fill me in thanks
    You could chronicle your results on your CarSpace page and even blog about it there. If youhaven't set your CarSpace page up yet, it's really easy to do. If you have any questions about it, just click on my username and pop me an email and I'll be happy to help youget it going.

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,786
    " If you made it yourself would you please provide a website that gives detailed insructions. "

Ah, but that is just the point. There are websites selling the information, not providing the information.

These people are out to make a buck - and you are providing that buck .
    doesn't sound like dalton is selling anything.sounds like he built it himself.lets give him a chance to respond. I just posted some info about an operating hydrogen generator I looked at today. the post is on the 'hybrid fuel cell cars forum' here at edmunds.
    "doesn't sound like dalton is selling anything.sounds like he built it himself.lets give him a chance to respond."

It is against Forum rules to directly sell - the posts would be yanked by the moderator.

It appears to me that what he is doing is promoting the idea so people will go to a website. It looks a lot like the "pump and dump" spam I often see in my spam catcher.

But in any case it doesn't make any difference how he responds. If the technology is viable, it would be tested by an independent publication. Until I see such verification, I'm basically ignoring these things...
    this guy dalton didn't mention a website. I asked if he would direct me to one. I meant a site with good hands-on info other than some company selling 'gizmos'. I did look at one today built and installed by a backyard mechanic from info gleaned off the net.Cost him $38 in parts. Looked simple and he swears he's getting 11 more mpg in his little old '85 chevy luv 4cyl. truck running a gasoline hydrogen mix. He's a local guy with no axe to grind or anything to sell .I suppose he could be lying to me but I don't believe so. Of course, I could be lying right now to you. A healthy skepticism is always good, but it seems there are posters here who wouldn't believe an airplane could fly had they been alive pre- Wright brothers era. I'm going to try to make one for my truck as soon as I can get a little more info. I still would like to hear more from some who have tried to make one if they aren't afraid of being ridiculed here.
    "I still would like to hear more from some who have tried to make one if they aren't afraid of being ridiculed here. "

I don't intend any ridicule. If you get it to work, contact one of the car review organizations (maybe EDMUNDS!), and get the concept validated. It would be worthwhile news if one could actually get a 33% increase.

Until then, I am skeptical.
  • catamcatam Posts: 331
    There seems to be a complete lack of even anecdotal data showing benefit.

Ususally on threads like this proponents would at the very least post some observed data, like before conversion I got x mpg, now I am averaging x+5 mpg over 3 tanks of gas.

Everyone here is talking about, "one guy somewhere".

Please I'd like to at least hear from 1 person his actual data. ie I gat 300 miles on 12 gal before, after conversion I got 386 miles on the same 12 gal.

My personal experience suggests we would all be better off reading about hypermiling and uses the techniques there that make sense to each of us.
    Certainly everyone can inflate there tires to the max on the sidewall, go easy on the gas/ brake, etc.

I do the hypermiling thing and my last 3 tanks have been 42.1, 42.9, and 43.8 MPG respectively. I am improving my technique I'd guess. at any rate this represents a 50% improvement over my car's 29 mpg hwy rating.
  • My freinds I am new to this forum, so hello to all!. i'm a rep with a company that sells HHO units, I will not mention the name or the website because I don't know if I am permitted to do so. We have a standing challenge, we gaurantee that if the car does not get at least 50% increase in mpg, you win the challenge and receive $5000, and visa versa, we bring the car to your location, you can have mechanics check the car, you can have the media there, engineers, anybody. If anybody is up to the challenge let me know.If I'm permitted to post the website let me know. I'm not trying to sell any thing on this forum, only trying to share info, and assure you HHO does work if installed and tuned correctly. Tks Paul
  • texasestexases Posts: 5,510
    Having never seen an explanation that makes even the slightest bit of sense, I doubt you can deliver. Good advertising, though :sick:
  • Just take the challenge, and make yourself $5,000, The website has all the technical information you could ever want plus videos. I dont know if I can post the website or not, but if you send me an e-mail address, I will gladly send you the website address. Not advertizing my freind, but I sure can use $5,000.
    You'll need to find another sucker. "Inventions" that violate basic laws of physics (perpetual motion machines, anyone?) don't interest me.
  • I'm not trying to find a sucker, just educate if possible, as you can see i'm not posting the website or trying to sell you anything, i thought the purpose of this website is to share ideas. There is no violation of the laws of physics here, any scientist will tell you as far as fuel is concerned. Fuel in a gas state is much more efficent in a gaseous state than in a liquid state and burns much cleaner. The company I represent are now in negotiations with a worldwide Fortune 100 Co. An announcement of these negotiations will be in Mid September. Stay tuned
    Information shared. Let's move on because we're starting to sound like advertsing now.

And the BS begins...."Fuel in a gas state is much more efficent in a gaseous state than in a liquid state and burns much cleaner" So that's why CNG vehicles typically have lower power output than equivalent gasolive vehicles.

Can you make hydrogen? Sure. Can you save gas doing it? Absolutely not. And any physicist will tell you that. I'd suggest waiting for your 'Fortune 100 Co.' ship to come in. Another typical come-on from folks such as you... :sick:
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,845
    Question:
    Why haven't any of the major Car Magazines tested out these kits and given a report? About a month ago someone reported the same $5000 gimmick and hit a dead end when he tried to collect. I am sure you have gotten yourself sucked into a MLM or Ponzi scheme and are just trying to find enough gullible folks to get back your investment. Edmund's is a hard place to sell that type of gadget. You would be better off on a non car website where people do not understand how an engine works.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,810
    Won't even fly there - these posts get zapped by users on craigslist all the time, even when posted outside of the automotive section. It seems that even non-car people have common sense :)

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

This discussion has been closed.