Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Infiniti G37 Sedan

Comments

• fornovfornov Member Posts: 34
    So is there no G37xS? Do you have to pick either the AWD or the sport spec's, with no option for both like in the '08 G35xS?
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    Ditto. G8 or G37...2 really nice cars that are great value plays in the sport sedan segment.

Thanks for your info. This helps in my decision making process as well. Hope the C6 is running well!

Regards,
    OW
  • sergeymsergeym Member Posts: 283
    It does exists but it is not a "real" sport package. No suspension changes, jus cosmetic stuff, seats and steering wheel.

Sport Package AWD: Red “S” badge, unique front fascia and side sills; sport-style seats w/thigh extension and power thigh and torso support; aluminum pedals and foot rest; 18-inch lightweight cast aluminum-alloy wheels; P225/50R18 all-season tires; magnesium paddle shifters
    All
  • r8cutr8cut Member Posts: 21
    The G35/37 has relatively impressive lateral g./skidpad times. Can anybody guesstimate what that translates into as far as what speed the vehicle could take the average street corner at without skidding? (Not recommending one do that of course. Just curious.)
  • johninnjjohninnj Member Posts: 243
    How is the interior and/or features in the G8? I remember being impressed with the GTO....until I went to the dealer and got in one. Ditto for CTS. I think hyundia is coming out with some v8 coupe to rival the mustang or something...they are on a roll.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    The G8 GT vs G37 comparison may shock & amaze a few people here.

I think they do compete, as both are RWD Sport Sedans with comparable ( near identical ) acceleration, excellent handling, etc.

Clearly, the G8 GT is larger – and that may matter ( a lot ) to some. It is also rather heavier than the G37.

The G8 GT is also significantly cheaper – with both Premium & Sport packages and a sunroof, the MSRP is now $34,990 – with a price increase on newer 2009s. ( Was $34,110 – and most cars on dealer lots have that MSRP. )

I have not yet seen the G37 US prices, but a 2008 with Premium & Sport lists for over $37K.

If you require a built-in navigation unit, the G8 does not offer one – and the G37 does.

The G37 appears to have addressed the few issues I have had with the G35.

The A7 allows better acceleration & better MPG and lower RPM at cruise. The G37 now has an EPA highway rating 2 MPG higher than the G8 GT. The G35 was the same as the G8 GT.

The interior fit finish & materials – well, look & judge for yourself. . .

I have driven 2 G8 GTs.
    I plan to test drive a G37 with Premium & Sport packages as soon as one is available at my local dealer.

- Ray
    Glad to have a choice . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    I got this from KBB :

5-year Ownership Cost

$44,442 G37S

$45,230 G8GT

G has MSRP 7,000 more....which puts these #'s better into perspective.

I can't help but thinking, much like the accord Vs G6 comparison (On paper), the build quality and resid value gives the infiniti a tremendous advantage. Friend of mine bought a G6...god was it crap....cheap though and somewhat fast.
    Apparently it would have been better if I had labeled my comparison as something like ‘initial cost’.
    Or MSRP vs MSRP.
    Everything else depends on too many other factors – negotiating ability, local supply & demand, how long one keeps the car, etc.

I apologize for any confusion.

- Ray
    Not verbose enough, this time . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • paulo6paulo6 Member Posts: 94
    I have a G35xS..I did comfortably 80+mph on highway ramps with a 45mph warning
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    They are one step up from typical Pontiac. I would classify it as livable. The seats are comfortable.

Regards,
    OW
  • r8cutr8cut Member Posts: 21
    Thanks for your response.

What triggered my question in the first place, was one of my kids wanted to take the new car around the block. He took one corner at 22 mph. The car easily took it, but it got me to wondering how fast it could take the average street corner...
  • sjaievesjaieve Member Posts: 252
    Anyone considered reliability. Consumer report will be noting that Asian brands occupy the top 10, with Ford coming in at # 11. Not even sure where the GM models will line up. I for one will not flirt with a +30k purchase of something that is arguably not reliable.
    The G8 has not been out long enough to have really meaningful data...

"Reliability History - No Data, New Model" - CR

[ edit:
    Anecdotal evidence suggest that the A6 trans calibration
    is the only significant issue, so far.
    Addressed with a software update. ]

Since this is in the G35\37 forum:

"RELIABILITY
    We expect reliability to be much better than average, according to our latest subscriber survey.
    Tested model: 2007 Journey sedan, 3.5-liter V6, 5-speed automatic"

- Consumer Reports...
    2022 X3 M40i
    Prob safe bet to look at the GTOs history..unless I'm mistaken they are very similar..no? I saw one in person....prob the best looking Pontiac so far.
    The Aztek gets my vote for ugliest vehicle EVER made..worse than VW thing even !
    Your post is arguably more insightful than mine, but my conclusion still remains, there is one safe bet here, the G37.
  • sweendogysweendogy Member Posts: 1,310
    i know they are coming out with the G convertable and an AWD version of the coupe--but will they have a convert with AWD too??
    I believe that will be the case. That will be a sweet ride man
  • aamcaamc Member Posts: 15
    Leased last Wednesday from Bommarito in St. Louis from an order placed in July. Great car! Premium, nav, tech, splash, platinum graphite / graphite. The mods have already begun.

Here's a link to a pic:
    http://i386.photobucket.com/albums/oo304/chaivelevz/IMG_0168.jpg
    on the infiniti website the 2009's are live but yet no manual option on the awd cars -- not happy with nissans decision on this-- big oversight as drivers want manuals -- again make a manual with awd and a convertable for under 50k and say goodbye to the S4, S5
    So I went to the Inifiniti dealer today to see if the '09 G37 sedan was in yet. Of course, it was originally supposed to be here in October, then in October they said November. Now the sales manager tells me they're pushing it back to January because they have all these '08's to sell. He said Infiniti is to blame for this, that the cars are in the ports, but the manufacturer isn't letting dealers sell them.

This seems fishy. I know from this board that some '09's have already been purchased. The sales manager also said that they don't have any brochures yet and that pricing isn't even announced yet. This is from the sales manager!!! Any idiot can go to infiniti.com and see that the pricing for the '09's has indeed been announced, and I told him that, but in nicer words.

I'm wondering if I'm being told the truth about the '09's, or if perhaps this dealer (which is the only Infiniti dealer in about 150 miles) happens to have too many '08's and delayed their shipments so they could sell their older models.

He further went on to say that they are getting a single '09 sedan and a single '09 coupe this month. These are "demo's," but he said they would be for sale. WTF???? Who gets a single demo of a model, says it's for everyone to see and test, but says it's for sale? Wouldn't that car be snatched up the first day it gets to the dealer if someone realizes it's actually for sale?

I guess the reason I'm posting this is to see if there has actually been an announcement by Infiniti that the '09's are being delayed until January. I hadn't heard anything about this until today. If this is true, then I'll just have to be patient. Bit if I'm being told something incorrect, I will not be purchasing a vehicle from this dealer, even if it means I have to drive out of state to get to a dealer who will be honest.
  • moshomosho Member Posts: 11
    I have been getting the same information from two other midwest dealers. Only one of each and the general availability is now the end of December. BTW my best midwest 08 price is Edmunds invoice less $4,000 cash. I have not been able to get the great prices as posted from the east coast. Thinking that if I cannot get what I consider a really good buy, might just wait for an 09 in January.
    I know this ‘beast’ exists, as I have seen pictures.

My local dealer’s rep. seems to be telling me all he knows \ all Infiniti & his mgmt. Is telling him, but that is not proving to be very helpful.

I did want to drive a G37 Sedan before making a decision.

But I do not want to wait another month.
    Or 2.

http://nissannews.com/newsroom.do?id=34&mid=140
    Still says available Nov 5.

- Ray
    Bewildered.
    2022 X3 M40i
    Infiniti -- i know your listening --- make a G with a 6speed manual and AWD -- north eastern drives will respond.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,359
    I believe the G37S 6MT will be an admirable inclement weather performer with a set of 4 dedicated winter tires, its 6 speed stick, limited slip differential, and alphabet soup of electronic gizmos that will keep your rear end on the road.

Stick shift is the number 1 item I MUST have in any new car I plan to purchase.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

nyccarguy, not an option here in boston-- we had 18 inches of snow over two days before new years. Another 6 inches a week later- The G35x (now g37) did a great job staying on the road-- wish they would give us the AUDI option-- a 6speed with AWD is in order- now Acura is doing it with the UGLY TL --
  • richardnvarichardnva Member Posts: 91
    Hello. Took my first test drive of the G37x Sedan yesterday. Very nice impression overall, with the exception of the automatic transmission. There seemed to be a lot of shifting at city driving speeds 10-45 mph. The shifts were smooth and refined, but definitely more shifting than I'm used to. Has any one else noticed this? The shifts are smooth, but the one thing that came to mind was a) this is a new transmission, b) 7 gears is 1-2 more than most cars, c) sounds expensive to fix if it fails. Would appreciate others feedback on this. Thanks!
    It's been a little while since I've posted on here, but I did buy the 2009 G37x sedan back in December. Let me tell you, this car is outstanding in every way! I have never had a better car, and it's not even close. It can do everything - hauls the family of four comfortably, unstoppable in the snow, absolute BEAST off the line, nice Navi system, great stereo and hard drive to store music, etc. etc. The list goes on and on. I would recommend this car to everyone who has to drive on a regular basis (and can afford it, of course).

To your point as far as the transmission, yes, it does do more shifting than most cars. It's definitely because of the 7-speed. But that's a good thing, because it gets you better performance in both acceleration and mileage. If you're taking it easy from a stop, you'll shift into third gear before you hit 20. You'll get used to it, it's just different from other cars.

The mileage is the one thing I wish was better, as I've been averaging about 19-20 MPG in the first 1500 miles (calculated manually, which is usually about 0.5 MPG worse than what the on-board computer shows). This is in about 60/40 city/highway miles. It's not too far off what you'd expect from the listed 18/25, and I do expect it to get a little better after the first 10K miles or so, like most cars I've had have done.

Again, overall, TREMENDOUS car that I have absolutely no regrets about buying. I expect I'll keep it for many years.
    Glad you are happy with your car. Too many times people use internet forums like edmunds to gripe. The only G37s I've seen around are coupes. I haven't seen a G37 Sedan as of yet. Scouring a few dealers' websites shows they still have a few leftover '08 G35X sedans.

The G37 offers tremendous value for the money. I'm seriously going to consider one for my wife when the lease is up on her '07 X3 in July of '10. The one thing I am concerned about is trunk space compared to our X3. Right now there are the wife, myself, and our 2+ year old. We've got a baby on the way in April.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Well, I can't compare the trunk space on a G37 to that of an X3, obviously much different vehicles. I'm sure a search can give you cubic feet, but that doesn't tell you everything.

To put it into real-world terms, we have the aforementioned family of four, consisting of my wife and I, and two young daughters, ages 4 and 2. The trunk on my previous car, a 2006 Acura TL, was very similar in size. I was always able to pack everything we needed into that car, except for the annual trip to the grandparents house for Christmas, when we'd stay for 4-5 days and bring extra bags full of Christmas gifts. I expect the same of the G37, we just haven't had a trip with it yet (took delivery on Dec. 29). I can easily get a double (front-to-back) stroller in and out in either car.

I wouldn't let the trunk space hold you back. The more I think about it, it's probably not that much different from an X3 after all.
    Fornov, Thanks for the reply regarding the transmission. I have an Acura TL right now and am interested in your comparison of the G37 to the TL now that you've owned both. I see what you've commented about trunk space, how about interior space? Did you have a nav in your TL? Differences there? Any other notable differences?
    Hey, thanks for your reply. Like I said above, we love our X3 and would love to replace it with another BMW. My wife says she wants to go with a car next time around. The 3 series is way too small for our needs and I believe a 5 series will be way on the expensive side.

I've always been an admirer of the G Sedan. My best friend has 2 Infinitis (an FX35 & QX56) that he absolutely loves. There is also a dealer here in WHite Plains that has an amazing service department.

I plan to check the G37 sedan out extensively at the NY Auto SHow in April.

I'd say interior space on the G37 is slightly smaller than the TL, but only slightly. I'm 6-2, 185, and I can fit comfortably in the back behind where my seat is in my driving position. There may be an extra 1-2 inches in the TL.

I did not have nav in the TL, so I can't compare that for you, sorry.

I think the stereo is much better. I also really like the hard drive to burn your CD's. You don't ever need to keep your music in your car now.

After mentioning all that, I of course have to talk about the performance. The first thing a person who drives a TL will notice when they drive the G37 is the acceleration. It's not even close. Plus, I don't have to worry about spinning my front wheels like I always did with even moderate throttle input in the TL. Cornering is much easier - I always felt like the TL was strained at any sort of hard cornering.

The fuel mileage is a big difference too - in favor of the TL. I would routinely average 23-24 MPG in my mixed driving in the TL, with road trips returning 30-32 MPG. The G is getting 18-20 MPG, and in the longest stretch of highway driving I've done so far (about 40 miles) averaged 25 MPG. So if that's important to you, I'm pretty confident in stating a 20% reduction in fuel economy in my vehicles.

I'd give the nod on comfort to the TL, as the seats were probably the nicest car seats I've ever sat in for any extended period. The thigh supports in the G are a little pinchy, I'd prefer to have them set about an inch wider. The thigh and side supports are adjustable with the sport package, but they set the thighs too narrow and the sides too wide, IMO. I'm not an "extra-wide" person either. So definitely check out how that feels if/when you do a test drive.
    fornov, thanks for the update. That is too bad about the gas mileage. I'm considering the Journey so hopefully the mileage would be comparable to the TL. My mileage is comparable to what you were getting on your TL so I'd like to keep it in that range. Have you noticed anything else worth commenting on in the last couple of weeks? What other cars were your considering at the end of your search?
  • skarieskarie Member Posts: 78
    Infiniti Readies Direct Injection for M37 and G37

The windblown puddle of mercury known as the Infiniti Essence concept car shown at this year's Geneva show tells volumes about where Nissan's luxury division is headed both stylistically and technically. The twin-turbo 3.7-liter direct injection V-6 in the Essence will debut, sans turbos, in the redesigned M sedan due in early 2010, making about 340–350 hp. The complex direct-injection technology, in which fuel is injected directly into the cylinder rather than in the intake ports as is more common, most likely will also make its way into the G37 coupe and sedan as mid-cycle upgrades before the cars are completely redesigned in about three years. Besides making more power, gasoline direct-injection technology is also needed to meet tightening emissions and fuel-economy regulations around the world.
    link title
  • kasvardkasvard Member Posts: 1
    I have had my G37x for two weeks as the lease on my M35x, 2006 was up. I had 45,000 miles on the M35x and the car was fantastic. Not one problem, everything worked great, drove great, had every option. Since I was usually the only one in the care commuting 75 miles round trip daily, I opted for the smaller G37x. In comparison
    G37X, faster, more sporty, better handling, tighter
    M35x, more comfortable, roomy, more features, more space
    The new voice activation feature is better than the old one. Though it takes a few more steps to get to do what you want, there are much fewer mistakes and much more accurate in the voice commands.
    The screen on the M35X was larger than the G37x so I miss the increased space, but the G37x has touch controls in addition to the voice and buttons of the M35X's. The G37X has two screens. A mini screen in the dashboard (a red LED) whereas the M had just one. I am not a fan yet of the mini dashboard screen in the G. For example, the M screen had the outside temp on the screen in the status view where the G does not. You need to have it on the mini screen, but then you don't have the odometer. I guess I'll get used to it.
    The controls knobs, buttons etc seemed a little more substantial on the M than the G. On my 75 mile commute (75% highway, 25% city) I averaged about 23 MPG with the M (in the winter, which is about 1 mpg less than the summer) and on first run it looks like the G is doing about 26.5.
    I am a little disappointed in the Hard drive music box. It only copies CD's, not MP3 files, which significantly limits what I can load on the drive and the amount of music you can store. But the sound is terrific. I also don't get the Compact Flash slot. Why not a USB slot? I haven't tried the Ipod link yet but it looks like it will be what I use the most. I haven't been able to get my Ipod back from my kids.
    Overall I am very pleased. I liked the M so much I decided to buy this one. I think I got a great deal at $36420 + TTL with Journey, Premium, 4WD, Mud Guards, Nav and Wood. I was going to get a fully loaded Honda Accord but I am glad I splurged.
  • addamsaddams Member Posts: 74
    Like to head from G37 sedan owners without the S how the ride is in the city and out on a long trip? I'm concerned it could get abit old after awhile from being to harsh?
  • loarmisteadloarmistead Member Posts: 1
    I have an 09 G37S Sedan. Yes, the ride is "stiff," but I prefer a stiffer ride to the wavy land yacht feel of, say, my mother's Lexus sedan. Coming from owning all trucks, the main thing I was concerned with in a car is that its ride was similar to a truck ride - stiff. Soft suspension makes me car sick, so it was a big deal for me. I test drove a G37 with and without the Sports package, and the suspension difference is noticeable. I ultimately went for the Sports package suspension because it doesn't have the "luxury car" feel to it, not to mention it handles extremely well! As far as the ride getting old, I have yet to tire of it (then again I also prefer it). My daily commute is about 35 miles round trip. And I. Love. This. Car.

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions, let me know.
  • addamsaddams Member Posts: 74
    How is the road noise? Reasonable? Right now in my 02 Altima if your on the freeway at 75mph you have to turn the volume up on the cd or to talk to my wife up my voice volume because of wind noise mostly.
  • seatoyotasalesseatoyotasales Member Posts: 36
    Did anybody compare the AWD SPORT package? Here in Seattle our dealer has one AWD with the Sport option package and was wondering how it compares if any difference to the non sport AWD. And while we are on the subject, how does the AWD compare to the RWD. They have a sweet white one I am looking at loaded RWD with the Sport tires and wheels, looks awesome. Any thoughts? PS..I am coming from a 2003 Lexus GS 300 which is a pretty soft, luxury ride.
  • joeshanjoeshan Member Posts: 70
    I just had my '04 X in for service at Pepe in White Plains. I agree 100% about the service dept.
    I had an EX 35 loaner with Tech, Nav, and Premium pkgs. & loved all the bells and whistles. Whoever gets loaner # 1 will get the gift of music courtesy of Music Box!
    My car wasn't really ready when I came to pick it up, so Ed got me another loaner-a G37 (#8) with about 500 miles on it. No packages (as is their practice with loaner Gs) but man, what a rocket. 7-speed was pretty much unobtrusive except for a downshift (either 3-2 or 2-1) when coasting to a stop. I didn't flog the car as it wasn't broken in, but it's really quick with not too hard a ride. I got 27 mpg avg coming down the Saw Mill Pkwy at 50-55 mph.
    HID high beams now, as opposed to my '04's.
    Interestingly, the upper headlight cutoff line is the sharpest I've ever seen.
    Now, if only it had really effective fog lamps...
  • jpierrejpierre Member Posts: 14
    Has anyone seen a G37 Sedan with Platinum Graphite exterior, and the wheat rosewood trim interior. Common sense would dictate Grey exterior, go with Grey interior.... but I really wanted a rosewood trim interior, and don't car for the dark graphite interior. Does anyone think grey exterior and wheat interior actually look good?

Thanks.
    ok, was already to do my deal but now a dealer trade is needed. G37 journey sedan but this one has no splash guards. The car looks better, but wont the splash cars protect against chips, street debris. It's a lease so I want it in the best condition upon return? Any thoughts on this?
  • edmondpedmondp Member Posts: 3
    I just put down a deposit on a 2009 G37x sedan and I can't wait to pick it up. One thing troubles me, though: Is it true that Infiniti requires premeium fuel for the G (not just reccommends it)? If so, what does this mean ... will the car accept regular gas ... what would happen if I fill the car with regular?
  • kingpcgeekkingpcgeek Member Posts: 1,051
    if you can not afford another 20 cents a gallon then you can not afford a Infintiti
    2005 G35 Sedan
    2007 G35 Sedan
    2008 G37 Sedan
    2010 G37 Coupe
    2012 G37 Sedan
    2014 Q50 RWD

2017 Q60 3.0t RWD
    2018 QX60 RWD
  • realhawkerrealhawker Member Posts: 30
    I second this - the cost for premium fuel is minor - and you may end up getting better gas mileage out of it.

You are going for a premium performance vehicle - give it the right fuel.
  • realhawkerrealhawker Member Posts: 30
    I have to say that in my opinion, it would not be a good match. I think the blue slate has a better chance of being a good combo.

I don't like the graphite interior either - but I love the grey - its fairly light grey so its nice.
  • kominskykominsky Member Posts: 850
    I BELIEVE, by law, every car sold in the U.S. is required to be capable of running on 87 octane gasoline. However, you will most likely suffer from degraded performance and worse fuel economy. The computer would probably sense knocking, which in turn retards the timing. Not worth the $.20/gallon savings, IMHO.

In a pinch, if nothing better is available, you should be able get where you're going on a tank of regular.
  • scottwinscottwin Member Posts: 9
    I'm a low budget shopper but love the value proposition of the G37, I don't think you can beat the performance/price offered in the G37 package. However, I'm looking to the end of my 2005 G35x lease and need to keep my monthly payments the same. So I have to decide on whether I should go for either:
    - G37x with no add'l options ($41,300 MSRP CAD$), or
    - G37 with the touring pkg ($42,340 MSRP CAD$)

I'm located in South Ontario so we get a fair bit of snowfall and have enjoyed the AWD on the G35x (particlaurly the "snow" switch which tames the G's amazing throttle response), however I don't know how well the G37 would perform with just the standard traction control. I can tell you I took a Mercedes C300 out for a drive that wasn't AWD, and it perfromed very well if not as good as the G35x in some fairly slick and deep snow. However, the C300 doesn't even come close to the power in the G so I can't use that as a guage. Do most people put snows on the non-AWD G's if you're in a snow-belt area? Do you wish you went with the AWD?

The other dilemna I have is I like some of the additional options I would get if I went with the G37 with the touring pkg. Particularly the audio system upgrade since good sound quality audio is important to me. I really enjoy the audio quality in my current G, but I would like to know if I'm taking a step back in terms of the sound quality if I go with the standard system. However, I'm not particalurly concerned of the lack of a 6 disc changer or even the IPOD interface. I'm concerned about the 6 speaker system vs. the 10 speaker system, is there even a sub-woofer in the 6 speaker system. If anyone has any insight I'd love to hear it.

Thanks,
    Scott
    realhawker... thanks so much for your response. I'm going to roll the dice. wait for the interio/exterior combo I want, unfortunately it's still at sea, so hopefullly the MF doesn't change to much in May.
  • edmondpedmondp Member Posts: 3
    After driving a 2006 IS for the past 3 years, I moved up to the G37x. In so many ways moving up is an understatement. The ride on the G is superior in just about every way. We all know that the G blows away the IS in the power area but I didn't realize that it rides quieter and smoother than the IS while still being more thrilling. Here however are some unexpected minuses and pluses:
    G Pluses:
    1. Satillete radio. I never had one. It's a blast.
    2. Seats. Forget the talk about Lexus luxury. The G seats are the most comfortable I've ever sat in.
    3. Locking system. The G opens all doors by way of the driver and passenger doors. The IS opens all doors from the drivers side only.
    G Minuses:
    1. No daytime running lights. What is Infiniti thinking?
    2. Glove compartment. The Lexus is small but the Infiniti's is a joke.
    3. Mirrors. I miss the Lexus oversized driver and passenger mirrors.

All in all these pluses and minuses are a wash. What really counts is stepping on the G's accellerator and enjoying the ride. The Lexus is a good car ... a very good car but the G37 is in another class altogether.