Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Corolla Paint Problems

Comments

• orca6orca6 Posts: 9
    Yes I'm the first owner of my 2006 Toyota Corolla, and no I have not used a clear coat finish.
    Yeah, I went to the Toyota dealer had it inspected and they said they would not cover my paint chipping.

I have a 2006 Toyota Corolla and not only is my paint chipping on my roof, I also have paint fading starting on my doors, the front hood, and the top of my trunk.

This does not add up. I see cars that are 10 + years old and their paint is not pealing or chipping. I truly think that if we get enough Toyota owners that have similar issues, that we can try to start a class action to resolve and put our issues to rest.
    edited October 2011
    I so agree, count me in! I have a 2006 Toyota Corolla that is chipping on my roof, it looks rusted as well from all the chipping. On my front hood, my car doors, and my back trunk my paint is starting to fade. I also have a neighbor that has the same issue.

Now I see cars that are 10+ years old, and I dont see paint chipping nor fading on their cars. Not as bad as my 2006 Toyota Corolla.

Now we have invested and spent too much money on our Corolla's, for us to have to deal w/ Toyota's cheap paint jobs. I am not willing nor able to have more money come out of my pocket to re-paint my car!
    Sorry I am just now responding 3 years later, I just now learned of this Toyota Forumn. If it not too late, I am interested in signing a petition asking for a recall and or going for a class action suit. We all do have a case. I have a 2006 Corolla and have chipping and also fading on my Indigo blue car. I also took it to a Toyota dealer, and they said they would not cover my paint issue.

That this does not add up! I see cars that are 10+ and they do not have paint defects near as bad as our Toyota issues.
  • terceltomterceltom Posts: 1,017
    Perhaps you misunderstood me, clear coat is what the factory applied to the paint on your 2006, I was just wondering if something you used or have been using on your 2006 Corolla could have removed this clearcoat as some waxes, polishes, etc. might do.
    Yes, perhaps I did misunderstand you. No, I did not use anything that would have done as much damage to my car, as of what I am dealing with right now. Through much investigation and research that I have done regarding my car issue, the bottom line is that with my car only 5 years old, I should not have the paint defects that I'm dealing with right now.

As mentioned, that I have seen cars 10 + years old and they do not have paint defects near as bad as my paint defects.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,824
    Sorry, you can't use the forums to organize legal action or get petitions signed.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

There can be people who have the same paint defect issues who have no idea that this forum even exists, I just found out about this forum.
    I have a 2006 dark blue Toyota Corolla and have a paint defect where the roof of my car is chipping off. My hood is starting to peel as well as the trunk of my car, and my side top of my doors are starting to fade.
  • daryll44daryll44 Posts: 306
    I have been perusing this and wondering exactly what years are affected by the paint problem. We have a 2010 Corolla bot in Sept 2010...a year ago. Should I expect paint problems? Anything I can to now to PREVENT problems?
    It's practically a brand new car, why would you expect paint problems? Wash it regularly, use quality automotive finish application products, avoid stones, don't follow too close to the vehicle in front of you and you could expect to get long life out of your paint job. My opinion being a Corolla owner about five times over, and I stress it's only my opinion, is that much of this "bad paint hype" could be traced back to the owners care they take with their car. Following the above tips I'm sure will prevent most of the problems we read about on this board.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,667
    Agree. Even one of the Edmunds hosts said that they get a lot of paint complaints about ALL car brands because of the newer environmentally-friendly paint.

Personally, I have seen that newer cars of all brands do stone chip a bit more than 10 years ago, but it is not a big deal, even to a person like me!
  • Just found this blog. 2003 Toyota Corolla SE charcoal grey. Same problem everyone else is having. Is anyone making any progress in getting this addressed or are we stuck paying ut of pocket for a new paint job?

Ocala, Fl
  • I bought a 2012 Highlander a week ago and today I found 3 tiny paint blisters (bubbles) on one of the doors. They are tiny so I did not think I would spot them when I drove out the car. Is it a normal problem? Should I be concerned about rust might bebing to come out?
    Take it back, have them fix it. Blisters can hold water and moisture causing premature rust spots.
  • zlatinazlatina Posts: 8
    In November 2011 I bought Toyota Corolla 2011 brand new. The car is magnetic grey. Because of the short days in November in IL I was not able to see any paint issues. I wash the car at the dealership. In December after washing the car and attempting to wipe the water under the driver's side door I noticed a wierdly looking spot. I touched it and it was sticky as if a soft paint. I was afraid to wipe it so a few days later I took the car to the dealership and after they attempted to wipe it the paint came off and the white primer showed beneath. They repainted this spot. Almost the same time I found a chip on the hood which the dealership touch paintd. During the winter I was washing the car each month, whenever the weather allowed it. Right now the car is less than 5000 miles, which means I drive even less than the average. After the winter, I noticed scratches on the car. I took it for detailing. A week later new scratches. After the last car wash and again wiping the car from the water under the doors I wiped off a piece of a sand/dust trapped in the paint. The white primer is showing again. I looled over the car and I found sand/dust trapped in the paint under all the doors of the car, as well as on 2 other spots (in front an at the back of the car). Also there a white spots in the paint. I took the car back to the body shop of the dealership but was told that these are just minor imperfections which every new car has. I do not think it is normal to have such imperfections for that amount of money, Corolla is not a cheap car at all. The Customer Relations manager of the dealership was about to schedule a visit of a Toyota Corporate representative but after the explanation of the body shop manager it was abandoned. The same day I was so upset and dissapointed and decided to contact Toyota Corporate myself. They opened a case for me and said they are going to send a field representative to have look at the car but at the same dealership because I bought the car from them. Today I was contacted by the Customer Relations manager of the dealership in relation to the case I had opened with the Corporate.
    Is there anybody out there with similar Toyota Corolla 2011 complaints? What shall I do? I am really upset. I will appreciate any advice.
    Very, very few Corolla paint problems - you just happened to be one of the unlucky ones - hold Toyota to repair/repaint
  • jalt1952jalt1952 Posts: 6
    I have a 2003 corolla and bought it new in 2004. I owned a corolla cor 11 years and it never had paint issues. The roof of my car looks like it was not painted as it peeled off and all of the molding has peeled I am upset as I have a ssi income, have you heard anything ?
    edited May 2012
    Not sure what your source of income has to do with the paint issue but it obviously should have lasted longer then it did, but really, your car is almost ten years old, what is it you think Toyota should do for you?
  • zlatinazlatina Posts: 8
    I do not think I am the only unlucky one with the paint issue. Toyota just do not admit how serious the problem is. Most of the complaints come from Camry owners. Maybe because it is more expensive car ... I tried to have the problem fixed through another dealership but no results. They assured me I won't get rust soon. And guess what, today after washing the car and wiping it I noticed a rust spot. And guess where, not outside the car but inside. The rust is showing between the rim and the hinge of driver's side door. For now the screws look rust free. I took it to the body shop of the dealership and they took a photo. We wil see what will happen. I am afraid that it may turn out to be the Tundra rust problem. The car is now only 7-8 months old, a little more than 7000 miles on it. I am extremely detailed person and maybe that's why I am catching the issues at the very early stage. That's why I am saying it may turn out to be the Tundra problem.