Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Corolla Paint Problems

Comments

• white3white3 Member Posts: 29
    There was a person that had a petition to sign on line here for all us who are having paint chipping problems with all our corolla's what has happened to it does anyone out there know?
  • terceltomterceltom Member Posts: 1,024
    See message #107 from the host of this forum Pat.
    where is CarSpace?
    where are you with this complaint?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You are in CarSpace Forums right now. Are you looking for your own CarSpace page or another member's page? You can find yours under My CarSpace at the top left of the page. You can find another member's page by clicking on their name in a message to get their profile. The link for everyone's CarSpace page is at the top of their profile.

Does that help?
  • robert7676robert7676 Member Posts: 3
    You all must be furious! Years ago you could open up an Arbitration Hearing with Toyota AAA Autosolve and have a Toyota Rep assigned to your case. Very helpful in a case like this one with the paint chipping. Toyota needs to announce a recall on those autos. I would also get in touch with Consumer Affairs Divisions and the Attorney Generals Office in your state. Good Luck to all, but do not give up!! :)
  • raynakayraynakay Member Posts: 22
    Hi White3,
    So far I haven't heard anything back from the Attorney Generals office where I filed
    the complaint. I will try to contact them and see if they have contacted Toyota yet.
    It would help if everyone else that is having paint chipping would also complain to the Attorney General as well. You can file a complaint online. I did go by an autobody shop yesterday and I asked about this environmentally friendly paint and the mans reply was that they've taken out things like lead that made paint more tough and now this water based paint is not holding up to the elements.
    As soon as I hear something from the Attorney General I will let you know. Maybe I will check in to the arbritration as well. My concern is the paint and the fact that Toyota isn't honoring their factory warranty.
    Perhaps you could start a petition and send it via email. Are we allowed to share our email addresses on this forum?
    Perhaps if we went more public say to radio stations or news stations or consumer news with the fact that there are at least seven of us with paint chips, then more Toyota owners would check their paint for defects like chipping and those who have chips etc... would come forward and speak up. Does anyone want to contact the news?
    It seems like everyone is good at talking about these paint chips on this forum but no one is really doing anything about it. I've gone to a rep and contacted the attorney general but I don't have time to do everything.
    Who wants to start a petition and email it to the rest of us for us to sign and forward? Who can get this to the public thru news stations etc...
    We all need to band together so lets have some volunteers to get the paint ball rolling.
    I doubt Toyota would issue a recall as this problem is limited to very few of the hundreds of thousands of Corollas produced for 2009. Perhaps the lemon law would be a better path for these affected Coirolla owners to follow. Complain three times, if nothing is done about your problem then they shgould buy back your cars. I personnaly have not seen even one chip on my 2009 Corolla yet and it's three months old already and driven daily to and from work.
  • mnfmnf Member Posts: 405
    Lemon laws differ from state to state but one of the things that are common is that is has to be in the shop for X amount of times for the same issue in X amount of a time period.

http://www.lemonlawamerica.com/

http://www.dmv.org/lemon-law.php

Good Luck
    MNF
    I'm sorry, but you can't use the Forums to solicit for a petition. If you'd like, you can do this through your personal CarSpace page, though.
  • slowlearner1slowlearner1 Member Posts: 35
    I an effort to be totally fair...I am one who posted about getting paint chips. I saw 2 within my first week or so, but I haven't seen any since...and I have been looking every time I wash the car. I am starting my 4th month. I feel I had to post this to update my situation and fairly represent the car.
  • jesush91jesush91 Member Posts: 3
    Uh well id like to state that i work at a car wash and many of the new corollas i clean have scratches, which surprises me also...see im the proud owner of a 1990 toyota corolla dx myself and its paint is a LITTLE faded on the hood and on its top (and keep in mind this is its original paint), but no scratches and i drive it everywhere even in dirt paths and i dont get stone chipping my car paint...i guess toyota now uses worse paint nowadays than my baby's paint which im considering giving it a new coat....oh and my sis has an 07 corolla S and lemme tell you it has no scratches whatsover and she drives it around alot in the freeway where rocks are prone to fly around everywhere so i dont know why yours is coming off...but answer me this: do yo regularly (like once a week, like you shoud) wash your car? that allows for the paint to be more resistant because the more often you clean it the less teh dust on it will possibly scratch or damage your car in time, so yea think about washing your car once a week (its worth it considering your car's paint will last longer) and also wax it every 3-4 months if possible (this will ensure that your paint looks and lasts the longest)...Last question: where do you drive your car through that there will ge gravel on the floor?
    I am afraid to wash my new 09 corolla because every time I have paint chips come off - but I need to wash it this weekend - I will see what happens! Had the car 2 and 1/2 months and have 6 paint chips.
    Wouldn't you say scratches are the fault of the owner or his/her driving environment and not the fault of the paint on the car?
  • mnfmnf Member Posts: 405
    Are you going through a car wash or are you washing it by hand. Those brush car washers are terrible for your car and the brush less are just as bad with the chemicals they use to get the dirt off. I have owned by 09 Corolla since May and washed it 20+ times with with only the chips (2) that i received from a road trip.
  • mjfpilotmjfpilot Member Posts: 9
    Monday I take my daughter's white corolla in to the Toyota dealership to have the bottom panels and the rear bumper repainted. Toyota is picking up the tab.

MJFPilot
    Don't drive through gravel. Normal highway and roadway driving. As far as your comment about getting the car washed at a car wash, everytime I take it through the car wash it comes out with more paint chips. I am taking the 09 corolla in to dealership this week hopeful to look at it -- it definitely is a paint problem, my 06 corolla was washed all the time and still looks good! There is apparently a weak paint or a bad paint job. I pray it will be resolved with a repainting by the dealership or they can give me a new car.
    My car is white also (09), what is the year? Why not the entire car repainted?
    Is there a class action lawsuit about the paint chips going on?? What happened to the petition we all signed?? Thanks and God Bless!!
    Please see my reply to you at this link: pat, "Toyota Corolla Paint Problems" #107, 6 Oct 2008 1:03 pm. If you have further questions, feel free to email me - click on my name to see my profile.
    My 2009 Toyota Corolla XLE's Barcelona Red paint is still "cherry" with out a one paint chip and it's now 3 1/2 months old already. I guess I'm not one of the unlucky few to have paint problems. I understand your frustrations and hope some kind of settlement to the satisfaction of all of you is forthcoming. I'm really afraid that the burden of proof will most likely rest on the few owners who are having this problem to prove that it's Toyota's fault and not the owners that this is happening to.
  • fujijohnfujijohn Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2009 Toyota Corolla a metallic blue mica color bought in May. I was upset after a month of owning it, I found a chip in the hood. Then, another one in the front bumper and last week when I was washing it, I found one by the front roof. My husband said these are rock chips but then all that in less than 5 months of having it! I want him to complain to the dealer but he won't he said it's normal. I think toyota is using cheap paint. This is just like my 2002 echo but then the echo was a very cheap car. Don't know maybe toyota can address this problem.
  • drtraveldrtravel Member Posts: 395
    My 2009 LE's Magnetic Gray is now two months old and I too have no paint chips. Have washed it three times and am checking very carefully everytime I do. I too am not one of the unlucky few with paint problems. Toyota sells 25,000-30,000 of these every month.
    Great! I am glad you don't have any paint chips! I don't think having paint chips has anything to do with "luck" and also I think their are more than a "few" of us with paint chips!! God Bless!!
    Actually when there are so few of you out of hundreds of thousands of vehicles sold I would definitely say you ARE the victim of just plain old bad luck with your vehicles. I still feel for all of you but it's not some kind of conspiracy against you by Toyota. Your cars were just painted bad, not primed right or something like that.
    Wow, do you work for Toyota? I think someone asked you that before. Your answers make you sound like you do.
    No, I don't work for Toyota. Please respect my agreement with many other Toyota owners of Toyota's reputation as being one of the best, safest, reliable, affordable cars available just as I understand your anger for buying a new car and chipping the paint so easily. I do however think your being foolish if you, as well as the other few, think your bad paint job wasn't just an isolated instance. I'm very proud to be a current three car Toyota owner and have owned many other Toyotas in the past. I have sympathized in every one of my postings with the few of you that had the bad luck of getting a car that has this paint problem. Some of you keep insisting that this paint problem is Corolla wide and it just isn't. I will repeat again that out of all the hundreds of thousands of 2009 Corollas sold I counted only a handful of you with this paint problem on this forum and have not read or heard of this issue anywhere else, have you? But of course I know that doesn't make your particular problem any less important of an issue for the few of you that are experiencing this bad paint. I know I would be dissappointed as well after spending over twenty thousand dollars on a 2009 Corolla as I did, and it has paint chips in a couple of weeks or days. Maybe you all need to not wait for some kind of class action law suit and follow the legal route individually if you are sure that you can prove that this paint problem is not your own fault. I hope this issue can be resolved to the satisfaction of all of you.
  • drtraveldrtravel Member Posts: 395
    I think their are more than a "few" of us with paint chips!!

I just spent the last hour searching for others with this type of problem - use your favorite search engine - and found that not many have complained about this particular problem. If the problem was so widespread, it would certainly be all over the internet. You will find that there are paint chip complaints about almost every car make out there. Again the numbers are not significant. But if you happen to be one of the "unlucky few" with paint chip problems you don't care that maybe less than 0.1% of the cars seem to have this problem.

Read message #122 - it's from the individual who started this thread. He hasn't had a paint chip problem for awhile now.

PS Don't work for Toyota or any Japanese based company - nor does anyone I know.
    Just wanted to let everyone know that I went into the Toyota Dealership a couple of weeks ago and purchased four tires and an alignment for my car. While I was waiting, I walked out on the floor and looked at the new vehicals and there were two
    brand new cars with paint chips on the hood. They were a 2008 Yaris and a 2008 Scion. Now here are two brand new cars with paint chips on their hoods and I don't see the dealership posting anything here about it. I know of people who do not even get on the internet which is reason to think there may be people out there with paint problems who are not posting them here or elsewhere on the web.

Now here is a new one for you. I had evidence of a mouse in my car last week and had to set a trap to get him for fear he would eat my seats. I did catch the mouse. Has anyone else had a mouse in there car?
    I don't think mice care whether the paint may have issues on the cars they choose to inhabit. ;)

Try this discussion: Animal/Pest Problems.
  • greasemonkey48greasemonkey48 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Toyota Corolla and i have the clear coat coming off of both mirrors and the rear bumper
    There was quite a fuss from many new 2009 Corolla owners back in 2008 about the quality of their paint jobs on their new cars. Have these paint problems ceased? Perhaps it was just a fluke after all?
    No it was not a fluke, there are still problems.
    I was just wondering how those affected made out?
  • missfittoy02missfittoy02 Member Posts: 1
    I was just wondering if you ever had any luck getting this fixed I also have a 09 Blue/green corolla which I bought in June and it too has alot of paint chips and I also feel it's a bad paint job. Hopefully the few of use who may have just got a bad batch or something can join together. THANKS
    I have had a lot come up, including a piece of sheet metal hit the left side of front bumper, the dealership ended up repainting the bumper. I really do not wash the car much at all, I am afraid the paint will chip. However, I definitely would not take your car through any drive thru car wash. Wash by hand if at all possible. I did have the district rep look at the car - you need to do this, and he did have some spots repainted in early Jan, also there is a brochure in your car (new 09) that has an agency that you can file a complaint - look for it, I am really busy at work today. If you cannot find it please let me know I will look through my emails and sent you it. It is more than a complaint form it, I believe, it is some kind of legal action. Please let me know if you need more help. And pls see a dealer and ask to talk to the district rep - and be firm with them (but polite of course). For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16
  • robert7676robert7676 Member Posts: 3
    Sorry, I do not own a 2009 Corolla,

I have a 2005 S with no paint problems that I can see. I also have a 2008 Matrix XRS which seems to be okay so far. Sorry to hear about this problem. Perhaps it is regional depending upon where the car was manufactured. They (Toyota) no longer use the lead based paint, so that or the lack of the proper hardeners may be the cause of this issue as I have read. Good Luck!! :)
  • floridaminniefloridaminnie Member Posts: 4
    My 6th month old 2009 Corolla has a paint chip up front.
    Okay! Touch-up paint is available from the dealer.
  • toysourctoysourc Member Posts: 1
    Hey,

Did you ever have any luck with this? I have an 07 Corolla that is also chipping on the hood and my mechanic looked at it and states there is no paint on this hood to speak of. Sounds like poor quality paint job so I started searching and found this thread. Thanks for any response and things you have learned.
    edited March 2010
    I recall back in late 2008 when the 2009 Corollas first came out the large volume of paint complaints on this forum. Seems like they all but totally disappeared. I wonder what's behind this. Did Toyota improve their paint that much in such a short period of time? I for one never had any complaints on my paint job on my 2009 Corolla I purchased in 2008. To this day my Barcelona Red 2009 Corolla, after a year and a half, is just as pristine as day one. Not a one chip, nick or any blemish whatsoever.
  • kilo9kilo9 Member Posts: 1
    Well, I am new to this forum but after my 3rd quarter size paint chip I decided to see if any else was having the same problems. I have an 07 metallic black corolla and the paint on the roof is horrible. Now I have multiple rock chips on the hood which dont bother me too much because they are isolated and about the size of a ball point pin. What really gets me is the chips and bubbling of paint on the roof. Right now I have 3 quarter - half dollar size paint chips on the roof but not only does the paint chip off it continues to spread like wild fire. I also have quite a few spots where is paint has started to bubble so it is just a matter of time before the paint flakes off and bare metal starts to rust. Has anybody received a straight answer from toyota about this wide spread problem? Also, if there are any class actions or petiitions that need a signature, you can count me in. What have others been doing to remedy their paint chipping/flaking problem?
    Where are you getting the notion that there is a widespread paint problem on Corollas? Not saying you don't have a bad paint job, but widespread ? hardly . . . .
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    If one car has a problem, the others that traveled that same production line probably suffer the same deficiency.

Googling "toyota paint problem" gave 126,000 hits.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

edited April 2010
    On the contrare, I don't agree with that assumption. If so, why not more complaints? Do you realize how minuscule 125,000 "Google" hits is for a car that's been in production since 1966, (40 years) ?
  • robbaronrobbaron Member Posts: 2
    this paint started chipping from bugs on our first highway trip. In just a year this toyota has more chips than my honda had in 10 years. Any grasshopper, bee, or large fly chips the paint. Never seen such weak paint. In a few years at this rate this will be trashed. Hope toyota's image recovers soon so that I can sell without taking a bath.
    edited April 2010
    You do realize that 10 years ago a much different paint was used on your Honda and well as all other cars. I understand that the paint used today is a water based paint which is much less durable then the paint of old. I' ve read Honda is faring no better with their paint quality then any other manufacturer is with this newer paint.
  • prizm8prizm8 Member Posts: 1
    I am taking my 09 into the dealer for the 2nd paint issue. When the car was less than a year old, there was paint that cracked/delaminating on the edge of the front pass side wheel well. The paint was reworked. Now I am getting extensive rust thru on the front pass side door. I am having that assessed tomorrow. I am assuming that this is going to become a common theme with this particular vehicle. Does anyone believe that meeting with a district rep of toyota should be done & will it accomplish anything? I know that this problem is covered thru 60 months but even so--your car is repeatedly tied up in the collision shop. I also wonder whether this will be applicable to the Lemon Law in New York state.