Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Subaru Forester Revving With Clutch In

2»

Comments

• johnvjohnv Posts: 40
    a TSB was issued that probably fixes this issue. I haven't taken my forester in for this fix as yet.

#11-89-08 Reprogramming Files For High Idle When Clutch is Disengaged
    http://www.thel7.com/TSB/11-89-08.pdf

Also on a different board, someone reported a similar issue that turned out to be the accelerator pedal position sensor (in an 05 model).
  • Hi there

I drive a 2008 black subaru forester manual base model.

My car did the exact same thing all time and i asked the dealer what was going on.
    They were unsure at first and told me that they would contact subaru and get to the bottom of it.

I recieved a phone call three days later saying that there was a Re-flash available
    I drove in the next day had the re-flash done and all was well.

I read the report about disconnecting the battery on here and then the problem came back

i found out that:
    WHEN YOU DISCONNECT THE BATTERY IT RESETS THE COMPUTER AND ERASES THE RE-FLASH.

PLEASE IF YOU HAVE HAD THIS RE-FLASH DONE DO NOT DISCONNECT THE BATTERY. OR THEY WILL HAVE TO RE-FLASH IT AGAIN.

Good work and thanks for the advice
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Disconnecting after a reflash does not wash out the reflash unless the dealer did not install it correctly.

-mike
    Subaru Guru and Track Instructor
  • You will have to understand the system that there are two random access memories. One is for lets say there was a recall and or an emmision concern and the memory had to be re-learnt. The re-flash for this concern is not permanent fix and disconnecting the battery will erase it. I watched the dealer carry out this re-learn and its fool proof that i think that you could even do it.

I phone the technical department for subaru and they even confirmed that this is the case.
  • This is an australian built which has different design capabilities for mapping the ECU please confirm your region before advising so called fixes
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Sorry, I am basing this on USDM spec cars. It would be kind of dumb for the ECU not to keep all the updates to the memory for things like recalls and such when you changed the battery. That would be a major liability for the manufacturers! Hence why when they do flashes like that here in the US they are more or less permanent even if you change the battery.

-mike
    Subaru Guru and Track Instructor
    At long last I had the reflash done earlier this evening. The forester drives the same afterwards, but when putting in the clutch to coast towards red lights I experienced no revving. I'll followup in a week after I've had a chance to drive some more.
    And not an idle rev (dealer called it idle fluctuation) to be seen. I call the problem fixed.

Curiously just today I received email regarding Service Program WVN-24, regarding a ECM reflash and one-way valve removal to prevent possible catalytic converter damage. I wonder if the reflash I received four days ago covers this? Annoying.
  • My 09 Forester X 5-speed does the exact same thing. It doesn't settle down to idle until the vehicle stops. It's impossible to modulate between on throttle and off throttle smoothly between about 2000 to 2500 rpm.

I hate the dealership where I bought it and had it serviced for the first 40k mi. I'll take it to the other dealership in town next service and see what they say.

P.S. It doesn't do it when the engine is warm but not yet up to full temp. Maybe a colder thermostat would help?

Wish Subaru would publish something so I would know for sure.
2»