Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz CLS550 Coupe

I'm seroiusly thinking of getting the 2008 CLS 550 Coupe. However, I read in a Consumers Report that the CLS has a "less than average reliability", as well as an overall rating of 73 (out of 100).

This has me somewhat concerned. I was wondering if anyone could corroborate the above review.

Thanks.

Comments

• bmlexusbmlexus Posts: 755
    Not sure about the review but I dont really think you should be concerned about the cls review.

CLS is really nice I haven't heard about much troubles about it...

Do post a review if you get the car.

My dad plans to get this car I am not sure when.
  • tomw5tomw5 Posts: 9
    I just ordered a new 2008 CLS 550 Diamond White edition and am anxiously awaiting its arrival. I saw my first CLS - the CLS500 - in Las Vegas several years ago, and was in awe with that style. I had never heard of that series, so I had to copy the model down, go back to the hotel and imediately look it up. Ever since that day, that has been the car of desire. I know many Mercedes lovers do not like the profile lines - it was that view that hit me the most. What a magnificient car. This Diamond White color combination really makes the car. So many are black, which is great if you live where you never have to worry about keeping that color absolutely spot free. I don't, besides black absorbs heat from the sun light more so than any other color. I can't wait!
    Congrats how long will it take until it arrives. Can we expect a review here when you get the car?
    I had an email last night from the dealership and they plan to ship it to me today. I expect the truck here sometime around noon or so. I will keep you informed...
    Last night at about 4:15 PM, our new Mercedes arrived. It was everything I had expected and more. You must understand, last Friday was the first time I had ever driven a Mercedes. We drove a CLS500 (the local dealer did not have any 550s) to see what it drove like. I have never seen a more complete automobile manual - 473 pages! We had it out on the Interstate last night and put about 30 miles on it. Passing a truck going 65 was as though he was parked along the road. I haven't had much time to do much as yet, but will have time in the coming weeks. I will keep you informed. I would imagine most of the folks that read or post here are long time Mercedes owners and probably have had numerous models over the years. This is my first Mercedes, so everything I discover about what this car has is a totally new experience for me. It kind of reminds me of visiting Minneapolis with a couple that had never been out of the state of Iowa and how impressed they were with every facet of that city - like buildings that were taller than that couple's barn, for example. I feel like I am sure that couple did then.
    Hello, First of all Congratulations on getting your CLS, and secondly sorry for late in reply, I haven't been in Merc thread lately.

Thier hasn't been much CLS reviews here, No I am not a Merc owner, But all of my family including my dad uncle auntie has owned several benz in the past and still do, which are all S class.

Since its been over 2 months having your CLS, any experiences, likes,dislikes?

Btw, I have also test driven the bmw X6 inline 6 amazing car, I prefer suvs over sedan, So my next car will probably be an suv,

I do not like Merc suvs, The only benz I prefer are the S ,CLS,and the CL.
    Still no reply?
  • Also Hello, First of all Congratulations on getting your CLS. I am new to this forum. I am also thinking about buying a cls, but not until next year. I have driven an E class in Germany a few years ago, and doing 126mph on the auto bahn is something I will never forget. I've been driving a Eldorado for the last 5 years which is front wheel drive and since I live north of chicago I was wondering how the CLS would handle in the snow because it's rear wheel drive. Since it's a Mercedes I'm sure it will be just fine. Does anyone have thoughts about that and of course the dependability . FYI on TOP GEAR on the BBC channel, they have been replaying it so see if you can catch it. They loved the CLS 63amg. The dependability also came up....
  • schluteschlute Posts: 12
    Have had my 2009 about a month now and think it's a great automobile. Tons of power, smooth ride, quiet, good highway mpg, not so good city but not bad for this much power.
  • Is the new v-6 CLS 280 going to be sold in the USA any time in the near future?Does anyone know what the MSRP will be.
  • If you live were it snows, please keep us update on how well it drive in the snow. That is one of my concerns because I live north of Chicago. Thank you
  • schluteschlute Posts: 12
    Sorry, it doesn't snow where I live. There is a button to change the transmission to either comfort or sport mode. In comfort mode it is easier to not start out with as much torque. Another button will raise the whole car a few inches to get over snow ruts or car wash tracks etc.
  • I'm hoping that I'm just missing something, but I can't get my outside rear view mirrors to adjust downward when I put the car in reverse. I've tried everything in the manual and I can't make it work. What am I doing wrong?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  • Thanks for the information about the comfort mode. I'm sure that's what I will be using.
    If you live were it snows, please keep us update on how well it drive in the snow. That is one of my concerns because I live north of Chicago. Thank you

Since your concerned about the snow, I suggest looking into the bmw X5,

But if your interested in the coupe,there is also the x6 which every1 says its ugly.

I suggest,in fact I insist looking that look at both of these cars before choosing the CLS.

Plz keep us updated.

Thank you.
  • Claire@EdmundsClaire@Edmunds Chicago areaPosts: 968
    Hi, coryhoehn10,

I notice you haven't gotten a response here -- you might want to try entering your question in the "Ask the Community" box on the right side of this page -- it's a great way to get a quick answer to a quick question.

Claire

HOST

• hey bmlexus
    I have my heart on buying a MB. I love the way the CLS looks but if I decide not to get the cls I would look at the E550 4matic. I want the keyless go for sure. I will keep searching the web for info and I'll keep everyone updated. Thanks for the info.
  • i leased the cls 550 last year and i have a lemon law suit agianst them now.
    i have been to the dealership for over 17 times in a year and a half.
    beautiful car looks wise and performance. terrible day to day issues and problems that makes me hate the fact the i drive one.
  • Sorry you are having problems with your cls. I've had my 09 since September and have had zero problems and love the car.
  • Thinking about getting rid of my X3 and getting a CLS. The X3 has 35K miles and never been in the shop except for the (free) scheduled oil changes and service. I like the car but hate the very rough and harsh ride. I have had several M-B's in the past and always found them very reliable, although expensive to maintain. I suspect that may well be the case today. I don't want another BMW but might consider the Audi A5 which I like about the same as the CLS. One thing that does concern me is the visibility from the CLS, that swoopy style has to have some effect. Is it something you get used to or is it a very difficult thing to live with? :confuse: