Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 and Later Ford Taurus / Mercury Sable Maintenance and Repair Forum

Comments

• I think the fan speed is dependent on the temperature differential - the difference between the existing car temperature and the setting. So, you could increase the fan speed by turning up the setting (or lowering it for cooling) if this difference is small. As the temperature approaches the desired setting, the fan will slow down.
  • Thanks all - I figured it might be intended to stop me from just blowing a ton of cold air into the cabin. BTW, almost 10k miles in and I really like this car. Wish I had a later production run, as I don't have the Synch, but it's not that big a deal.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Glad we could help!

My folks are loving their new Taurus (6,000 miles, bought in June). And yes, they have Sync and LOVE it. :)
  • There is a TSB (technical service bulletin) out for this problem. It requires lubing the strut bushing, its a quick fix.
    Thanks for taking the time to reply!
  • My dealer is proposing the same repair on my '08 Sable Premier. How did yours work out? I was told there was no service bulletin for this problem. Thanks for posting this problem... My concerns were the same as yours...
  • I have a 1999 Ford Taurus Wagon. To avoid a wreck I put the car into reverse from drive and accelerated hard. The tires squeaked and all of the sudden the car made a grinding noise. When I put it up it into any other gear it made the same noise. I can only put it in park or neutral. When I jacked it up onto stands and put it in drive it makes the grinding noise only when my foot is on the brake. When I release the brake the wheels spin. I was thinking the problem could be a broken halfshaft either on the left or right side, but I am not sure. If you are experienced and have any knowledge on this please post back.
  • keithm1keithm1 Posts: 22
    Hate to say it, but sounds like you definately did transmissin damage. You never shift from drive to reverse when moving. How fast were you going when you shifted into reverse? If less than 10mph, the damage is probably minor. if, however, you were going full speed, then I'd say you're probably looking at a major repair(maybe complete overhall)Don't necessarily take the car to your dealer. Find someone local who specializes in transmission repair, such as "AMMCO" :sick:
  • I am pretty sure I was fully stopped when I put it into reverse, but then I accelerated hard when I was in reverse, but yeah I'm almost positive its transmission problems after looking at it more closely and I might just buy another car.
    I'd get a good estimate before shelling out for a new car! ;)
  • Not to jump the gun, but what are some of the better used car buying sites.
  • Bought a 2008 used, very low mileage FWD Taurus about a month ago. I immediately noticed that when I start the car in the morning the engine is rough for several minutes. The engine sounds like it misses and the car even vibrates a little. I took it in to have it checked and naturally they said they didn't hear anything. The other thing that concerns me and may be connected is that I'm only getting 18-19 MPG for combined highway and around town driving. I got 18.4 MPG driving a 180 mi stretch of freeway. The car has about 9K miles. Will gas mileage improve or is it possible that the gas additives in Ca. are contributing to the problem. This will be my last Ford if the Ford dealer sold me the car letting me think I'd be getting 28 MPG.
  • I believe you may have a problem. I get 28 or better mpg on the highway (at approx 70 mph), and 18 or 19 around town (but not center city driving) with my 2008 Sable. I have no rough idling at start up. Take it back to your dealer or to another one.
    My folks average 26 MPG when they travel to and from the gulf coast. They average closer to 80 MPH though. In mixed driving, they end up around 23-24. Few stoplights however.
    How does one remove one of the fog lights to replace bulb? Manual says to turn clockwise..when bulb comes out..disconnect connector & replace bulb. I find that there is a "phlange" that seems to prevent you from turning bulb to remove from socket. Anyone have any ideas to get around this? :confuse:
  • mek0123mek0123 Posts: 33
    My 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan ES has auto climate control. In the winter, (like now),if I have it on auto setting, it does a timed countdown and starts anywhere from 2min to 3 min or so. During the countdown, I have absolutely no air flow at all. Once it gets to zero, the blower automatically makes up for lost time blowing at a very high speed until the cabin starts to reach the preset temperature. Therefore, your unit is probably operating as designed.
  • merlinhmerlinh Posts: 1
    I had similar problem with my Lincoln LS. It started to make a rubbing noise when the steering wheel was turned. It was ball joints, needing to be replaced. On the LS it was a $900 job.
  • ronsmith38ronsmith38 Posts: 228
    I see where one can add the Sync feature as an accessory to the 2009 Taurus and Sable, but they don't show it for the 2008 models. I wonder why this is, since it was available as a feature (or standard) on 2008 models?
  • pjoannamopjoannamo Posts: 5
    I saw your post and had the exact same question.. I too bought a 2008 Sable Premier with the 3.5L and my gas mileage is exactly what yours is.. Did you get a resolution to this and what did the dealer do?

Sincere Regards,
    Pete..
  • pjoannamopjoannamo Posts: 5
    Just bought a 2008 Sable Premier with 18K miles. Took our first ride along the florida east coast cruising at 45 MPH and only got at best 17.5 MPG with hardly little to no stops for several miles. Filled up another tank of gas and drove strictly the highway at 80 MPH for 55 miles and got 18.2 MPG. I bought the car with the understanding that the MPG rating was 19/28. Has anyone else experienced this problem and if so what did the dealer do if anything.