Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sunroof leak on my Saturn Outlook

Comments

• shillelaghshillelagh Posts: 17
    This is a copy of a letter I received from Saturn. Print it and show it to your Dealer. The least he can say is no. At least you have a name to contact.

Dear Saturn Owner:

We have learned that your 2008 model year Saturn OUTLOOK, equipped with a sunroof, may have a condition in which water is not properly drained away from the sunroof. If this condition were to occur, water may enter the interior of the vehicle and dampen the carpet, upholstery, and other interior components.

Your satisfaction with your OUTLOOK is very important to us, so we are announcing a program to prevent this condition or, if it has occurred, to fix it.

What We Will Do: Your Saturn retailer will install drain tube extension assemblies and ensure that the water drains properly. This service will be performed for you at no charge until September 30,2009.

What You Should Do: To limit any possible inconvenience, we recommend that you contact your Saturn retailer as soon as possible to schedule an appointment for this repair. By scheduling an appointment, your retailer can ensure that the necessary parts will be available on your scheduled appointment date.

Customer Reply Form: The enclosed customer reply form identifies your vehicle. Presentation of this form to your retailer will assist in making the necessary correction in the shortest possible time. If you no longer own this vehicle, please let us know by completing the form and mailing it back to us.

If you have any questions or need any assistance to better understand related repairs, please contact your retailer.

Courtesy Transportation: If your vehicle is within the New Vehicle Limited Warranty your retailer may provide you with shuttle service or some other form of courtesy transportation while your vehicle is at the facility for this repair.

Please refer to your Owner's Manual and your retailer for details on courtesy
    transportation.

We sincerely regret any inconvenience or concern that this situation may cause you. We want you to know that we will do our best, throughout your ownership experience, to ensure that your Saturn OUTLOOK provides you with many miles of enjoyable driving.

j~ Scott Lawson

General Director,
    Customer and Relationship Services
    Enclosure
  • martine4martine4 Posts: 1
    What ever happened with your truck I have the same problem but it messed up my fuse block because it got wet and corroded the plug in terminals :(
  • rwrenrwren Posts: 2
    I sent an email to the GM and service manager letting them know that this is my third saturn I have purchased from them and I don't have the money to waist trying to problem solve. He called and left me a message and asked that I bring it in and they would do what they could. I told him that I would try to have the windshield resealed first since that is a service they don't do at my dealership. I found a place that can use compressed air and some kind of foam to detect leaks. If I don't find anything I will bring it in to them and have them look at it. If you find a solution to the water leaking please respond to this thread.
  • njgal99njgal99 Posts: 1
    I am currently working on a buyback for my saturn outlook through a lemon law attorney. It is no cost to you. the sunroof leak in my car was chronic-every 3 months back to the dealer to be cleaned out-and the carpet was moldy-I have not received the check yet---allegedly this week---does anyone have an opinion on buying another outlook?
  • khookskhooks Posts: 4
    What has happened to your buyback situtation.

I have a 2008 Outlook and am now with BBB trying to get the situation corrected.
    Need help, can you give me any advise.
  • I have a 2008 Saturn Outlook and recently had some major leaking problems (like having to hold a cup to catch a lot of water!) I turned the corner and my car sounded like a bucket of water sloshing from side to side. That same evening, water started leaking through all the seams in the front of my car (ie: the airbags on the side columns, the 3 buttons used for remote openers, my visor and the emergency brake area etc... ) I also had warning lights and alarms going off because there was water in my electrical system! I had the car towed to the Saturn dealership and they claimed it was a problem with the drain flaps. They said they removed the flaps to solve the problem. They also had to remove the carpet from my car and suck out all the water then let the carpet dry (still drying...).
    I asked about replacing the drains with longer ones which seams to have helped in some situations. Saturn didn't feel that was necessary; removing the flaps should do the trick.

I mentioned to the dealership that I have read about this problem online and it appears that it had happened to several other people from around the country. Saturn 'wasn't aware that there was any problem' (even though some owners have filed a lemon law claims and others are getting attorneys involved to resolve their issues with the Outlook).

I called the Saturn Corporation to ask if we could discuss an extended warranty. I love this car and I wanted to know that if I kept it and down the road something happened related to the current water dammage, I would be covered. Saturn's reply "We understand your frustration however, Saturn is not prepared to take this any further." After a bit of 'discussion' they hung up on me! What?

So, I am here to post my 'opinion' on the Saturn Outlook and the HORRIBLE Customer service.

It is a beautiful car and overall I love it. I just wouldn't recommend it and I wouldn't buy it if I had the choice again.
  • I have had an 08 outlook with sunroof for 15 months. During that time, it has been at the dealer 5 times to repair water leaks. They said it was sunroof drains. They were too short or clogged. Those were fixed. But at next rain, the headliner above the mirror and floor on front passenger side were soaked. Back to dealer i went where on 3 more occassion they said it was a windshield leak. The probelm still persist and I am completely frustrated with dealer and GM customer service who were no help at all. My next step is to get an attorney. Seems like a recall of all these vehicles are in order.
  • alman08alman08 Posts: 282
    "I mentioned to the dealership that I have read about this problem online and it appears that it had happened to several other people from around the country. Saturn 'wasn't aware that there was any problem' (even though some owners have filed a lemon law claims and others are getting attorneys involved to resolve their issues with the Outlook). "...

that's why they're all going out of biz! bad business practice. :lemon:
  • yes they are aware of the leaks, there was a recall to bring your outlook in for the extensions on the sunroof tubes.
    I filed for the lemon law on mine.
  • mcmowmcmow Posts: 1
    Were these leaks from factory or aftermarket installed sunroofs? We are interested in buying a 2008 Saturn that doesn't have that and want to have it installed. Your thoughts
  • Mine was factory installed. But I would caution you that the leaks are not just from the sunroofs but porly sealed windshields and some body seams. Check carefully.
    I would be very concerned about buying a Saturn right now. Saturns are no longer being made and all the problems with them that they have been having. I think it will be a big headache and major repairs in the future.
  • Update: After going back to saturn for 5th time and numerous phone calls to "customer service", the problem may be solved for me. At this lat visit, I insisted that they stop wasting my time and their money on patching what they think is the problem. So they replaced the sunroof and drains, resealed they windshield, and water tested it for 2 days. We have had another 3 days of hard rain and so far no leaks. "Praise the Lord". I hope this is done.
  • The sunroof was factory installed. It is not the sunroofs that are leaking, rather the drain tubes that drain the excess water. Apparently, the Outlooks have drains that are too short and they also have a 'flap' on the tube which can cause glogging.
  • Actually, the sunroof does leak. There is a channel underneath that catches the water. The channel is drained by the tubes you mentioned. When the tubes get clogged, the channels overflow into the headliner. The tubes being too short is another problem that cause water to drain onto the floor instead of outside. The whole system is very poorly designed. If the sunroof was designed properly, it should not leak in the first place.
  • My sunroof started leaking 7 months after I purchased it. Then again a couple months after the first repair. I took it back in to the Saturn dealership and they said the drains needed to be cleaned out. Now 2 years after purchase the car is leaking again and the dealership is gone. Probably leaked before, but I didn't notice since I don't ever ride in the back of my Outlook. The last episode I could actually see the water pouring into the car. Because I have to drive a lot and the warranty has expired due to mileage GM does not want to do anything about it. I'm having a really hard time understanding how mileage has anything to do with body defect. I paid out of pocket for something that was obviously a manufactory defect. Three weeks later after paying for the repair, rental car, and professional carpet cleaning, the car is back in the shop for the same thing. The GM mechanic working on the car has even said the Outlook was put together crappy and the thing needed to be taken apart and reconstructed. I have been getting the run around for the past three weeks with GM. All they can say is we are sorry, but there is nothing we can do for you. Here GM gets bailed out for their bad financial decisions, but the rest of us are stuck with our large car payments on cars that are falling apart and not worth what is owed on them. At least this time they are paying for the rental car after complaining over and over again about the lemon that they created and refuse to deal with. If I had it to do all over again I would never buy this vehicle. It is an expensive piece of garbage and GM customer service stinks. Simply put GM does not stand behind their factory screw-ups.
  • It has a 3/36000 warranty. Take it to your nearest GM dealer and tell them to put the new drain tubes in it. The Buick Onclave uses the same drain tubes. Don't let them Bull**** you around, they will try. If so, call your Better Business Bureau and file a lemon law complaint. Just because Saturn is out doesn't mean you've lost any of your owner's rights.
  • My warranty has run out because I have to do a lot of driving for my family. They replaced the drain tubes to begin with. It is at the Chevy dealership right now and they are dumbfounded apparently. They keep finding leaks and had to call headquarters to find out how to resolve the problem. One would think that if headquarters knew how to fix it they would have done so at the beginning. So far the have changed the seal around the sunroof, taken out the moon roof to re-seal it and who knows what else they will do. I did file a complaint with the Attorney General and the BBB, but the lemon law is only good for 2 years and 60 days after purchase. I missed the deadline by a coupld of days, but they are still trying to work with me since these problems existed prior to the expiration. I'm still out over $500 from the repair 3 weeks ago. I'm hoping the electrical system has not been damaged due to all the water. I wish all the people with the same problems could get together and file a class action lawsuit. I think that will get GM's attention. Do you have an Outlook?
  • I had an 08' XR. It was one which was built in 07' for the 08' model year. It was one of the first 600 built and had a defect in the left bank overhead camshaft. I took it in because of a check engine light problem. GM knew about the cam defect but did not issue recall or notify new owners, just their mechanics. After GM/Saturn rebuilt the engine, it developed a harmonic vibration that they could not identify or repair. After 55 days out of service, I filed a lemon law complaint with the BBB, they took over after that. During that time is when the water leak developed. I requested all bullitins, notices and records from the dealer regarding leaks. During an arbitration hearing, I proved to an Administrative Law Judge that GM was aware of the defects with the Outlook before their production in 07'. GM had to buy the vehicle back and repay me everything including tax, tag and title monies. Go back through all the posts regarding Outlook problems and read my posts. I gave blow by blow of what happened. The posts started out about the transmission problems. I'm sorry about your problems with your Outlook and wish you had discovered this website before your time ran out. Good Luck
  • Hi. I HAD a 2007 Saturn Outlook. (I bought it the last week of 07). After 6 months noticed it leaking in footwell area of passenger side. It was during a rain storm but also it was hot out. We thought it was the air conditioning tubing or something. Well it wasn't. This was just the start of our problems. The leaking never was fixed after 4 attempts of doing so. The carpeting was replaced because of mold twice. Then the globe compartment light started going on/off. Then I started to lose my power steering while driving through puddles. Once I filed for lemon law GM started to contact me. I thought they were going to do the right thing and replace the vehicle. No instead they used stall tactics to run us right to their bankruptcy filing. But I didn't trust them and their low money offers to keep the car and take the money - I mean I still had a leaking, power failure losing big car with big payments! So we went forward with an arbitration. Right up until the end GM tried to screw me with low offers. They tried to make me feel like a dumb blonde woman who has no idea what they are talking about. Well in the end, the arbitrator understood my case (I supplied much evidence and back up from the National Highway Safety Administration with complaints of the same thing). She sided in my favor (3 days before they filed bankruptcy). They had to buyback my Outlook and I went out and bought a Honda Pilot. . . . never again GM. siboldm, if you have a slight possibility of being able to file lemon law and you missed it by days, be a squeaky wheel, show them that the problem has existed for a long time and how many times it existed (that they knew about it) and if you push push push you just may succeed and get a vehicle that you deserve, not one that leaks, has mold, loses power steering, has lights flickering . . . move on this fast.
  • Well I just got my car back and supposedly fixed. While there picking up my car another Outlook was in for the same thing. Champion Chevy in Tallahassee, FL got stuck with the repair bill because GM told them to fix it and then told them they were not reimbursing for the cost. Don't worry, I'm not stopping until I've exhausted all avenues or GM pays for the mess they created. I just hope that because I'm only a couple days past the lemon law expiration that they will still handle my case based on all the other people out there like me that had the same problem. If anyone has case numbers that they could provide to me so that I can pull the cases and submit them with my complaint, I would greatly appreciate it.
  • By the way I bought mine around the same time and the leak happened around the same time as yours, the same exact way.
  • tang3tang3 Posts: 2
    Just brought our leaky Outlook to the dealer. Recently purchased a repurchased vehicle that supposedly had the leaking issue repaired by GM. Not the case. So far our dealer has been great. The mechanic working on our car explained that during the assembly process they drill four holes around where the rear sunroof will be to move the car down the assembly line. These are not drain holes and should have been filled in, so they filled them in. They also cut the x's out of the bottom of the drain tubes, and replaced the weather stripping around the front doors. Don't know if this will actually solve our problem or not, we'll see.
  • tang3tang3 Posts: 2
    Had my Outlook in to have sunroof leak repaired they filled four holes around the fixed rear sunroof. These holes were used during manufacturing to move the body down the assembly line. Since the repair we have had two major storms with 4-6 inches of rain each and no leaks.
  • mklvkcmklvkc Posts: 3
    Also have an 08 XR. Engine replaced at 28000 miles due to valve and cylinder damage due to "timing chain slip". Had issues with check engine light, stabali-trak. engine missing poor performance etc. from 4000 miles on. Resolved somewhat then reappeared. Also had issues with roof leak, doors self locking. Filed for lemon law x2 myself, denied of course. Now have attorney working on it. Settlement offered by Saturn does not meet my needs. Where did you locate bulletins regarding cam problems? Saturn says they cannot find them. Tried to locate bulletin # 4016 regarding misfires as mentioned in other postings on other sights, but Saturn say they can't find it. Thanks for any advice or help
  • pete167pete167 Posts: 1
    YEAH, 4TH TIME WITH A LEAK AND YEAH THEY REPLACED THE SEAL PLUS RUINED MY HEADLINER. IF U KNOW A GD LAWYER, EMAIL
  • mklvkcmklvkc Posts: 3
    Check Wisconsin lemonaid.com.
  • My wife and I purchased an 07 Outlook in May, 2007-best one on the showroom floor (or so we thought). A week later, water drained into the passenger compartment. We took it back, they "fixed" it and off we went. About 10 months later, same thing and same repair. A year later, same thing. This time, we were livid and they claimed to fix it again. As of this point, it is past the 2 year Fl. Lemon Law requirement. Last September, it absolutely gushed into the passenger compartment and came down from the overhead area. We took it to Saturn who told us it was out of warrenty and it would cost us over $500 to fix. I was (and still am) incensed! Now, with the Florida storms over the summer, our Outlook smells like mold and the passenger compartment is constantly wet. Should we look at a Class Action Lawsuit against GM? Any thoughts on that or what options are available to us?
    We had a 2008 Saturn and it leaked....Get yourself a lawyer. Not worth the time and effort, GM will not help. Have all your papers documented and find a lawyer... It will take some time but I think it is worth it. We got 7500, 4000 we got and of course the Lawyer got 3500. Not bad though. Does yours have the 2nd roof...That is what leaks, there are 4 pin holes where they put it on the car...

We had 1 new headliner, new carpet and hope it is now fixed, they resealed the glass. GOOD LUCK>...
  • I purchased a new Outlook August 2008. A month later, I rec'd "Service Advisory"80207(GM didn't want to call it a "recall" for obvious reasons). Its been to 3 different GM dealers in TN and FL for a total of 6 repair efforts. Same issues as described by others. Only leaks when it rains, never at the dealer shop. Water intrudes to lowest corner of car. I've filed a complaint with NHTSA. I'm truly concerned with water running out thru the rear air bags, seat belt retractors, and down the right W/S pillar thru the fuse panel, electronics, etc. Thus far, the dealers are happy to attempt repair, and get me a loaner to drive. My warranty will expire 08/2011 or in 6K miles, and then, according to all the other posts, I'll be on my own against the big GM that my taxes have kept afloat (no pun intended).