Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

From Giant to Economy Size - Couples Choosing

1235»

Comments

• gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,845
    I would trade the Ram if you really need the Mini-van. The PT Cruisers get poor mileage and like the VW have very poor resale value

It seems like a strange swap. Keep us posted how you make out at the dealer.
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    a Chevy Volt?

I guess people will just have to budget more for gasoline- either that, or move closer to where they do most of the stuff. Lifestyle changes will be the next move...

And not everybody is downsizing straight into the Versas and Civics of the world. You see a lot of people making a milder jump from a Suburban down into say, an Enclave or Highlander, and the Highlander drivers jumping to Accords and RAV4s, and those drivers jumping down into the Civics and Versas. I doubt very many people are jumping directly from a Suburban into a Nissan Versa.
  • 1stpik1stpik Posts: 495
    I heard yesterday that the Jeep Patriot is selling strong. It gets 24 mpg, and costs $17,000.

Like you said, people are downsizing from mega-SUVs to smaller ones, not all the way to compact cars.
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,116
    ...saw a man talking on his cell phone while pedaling his bike oblivious to the 1988 Buick Park Avenue slightly behind and to the left of him.
  • oregonboyoregonboy Posts: 1,653
    That is just too funny, sad, ironic... It certainly says something about the strangeness of the world today. :P
  • mattandimattandi Posts: 588
    This seems a proper place to post this. Is this list complete? Criteria is new automobiles with available seating for more than 5, excluding pick-ups and full size vans.

General Motors
    Chevrolet Tahoe/Suburban
    Chevrolet Traverse
    Chevrolet Uplander
    GMC Yukon/Yukon XL
    GMC Acadia
    Cadillac SRX
    Cadillac Escalade
    Buick Enclave
    Saturn Outlook
    Hummer H2

Chrysler
    Chrysler Town & Country
    Chrysler Aspen
    Chrysler Pacifica
    Dodge Grand Caravan
    Dodge Journey
    Dodge Durango
    Jeep Commander

Ford
    Ford Explorer
    Ford Expedition/Expedition XL
    Ford Taurus X
    Ford Flex
    Lincoln Aviator
    Lincoln Navigator
    Mercury Mountaineer
    Volvo XC90

Honda/Acura
    Acura MDX
    Honda Pilot
    Honda Odyssey

Nissan/Infinity
    Nissan Quest
    Nissan Pathfinder
    Nissan Armada
    Infinity QX56

Toyota/Lexus
    Toyota Sienna
    Toyota Highlander
    Toyota Rav 4
    Toyota 4Runner
    Toyota Sequoia
    Toyota Landcruiser
    Lexus LX470
    Lexus GX470
    Lexus LX570

Hyundai/Kia
    Hyundai Entourage
    Hyundai Veracruz
    Hyundai Santa Fe
    Kia Rondo
    Kia Sedona/Sedona SWB
    Kia Borrego

Mercedes Benz
    GL Class
    R Class
    E Class Wagon

Mazda
    Mazda CX-9
    Mazda 5

Suzuki
    Suzuki XL7

Subaru
    Subaru Tribeca

Audi
    Audi Q7

BMW
    BMW X5

Mitsubishi
    Mitsubishi Outlander

Land Rover
    Land Rover LR3
    You forgot 6 passenger sedans, like the Impala, Lucerne, DTS, Town Car, and Grand Marquis, even though the last 2 are discontinued.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,321
    If the last two are discontinued, what is coming out of St. Thomas, Ontario? ;)
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,846
    Edmund's shows a listing for the Grand Marquis and Town Car for 2009, so they're going to be with us for at least another year. They don't show a Crown Vic though. I'm pretty sure it's still available, but only to fleet buyers like police agencies, taxi companies, and rental car companies.

I don't know if they're still building it, but there used to be a long wheelbase version of the Crown Vic that was built for taxi service They added about 5-6" of wheelbase to it, all of it in the back seat area. Must have made for a roomy car. Shame it wasn't offered to the general public. There was also a lengthened version of the Town Car, but I don't think they're still building it. The Town Car's extra length was also all in the back seat area. However, I think with the Town Car, they made the B-pillar thicker, but used normal sized window glass for the back doors, whereas the Crown Vic had a normal B-pillar and a longer roll-down rear window.

I wonder how long they'll keep these things in production? They're really not that popular with the general public any more, but are still a favorite among taxi drivers and police officers. The FWD competitors just can't take the beating that the Ford Panther body can, and even when the Panthers do break, they're usually not that expensive to fix.
    Hmm.. Good question.

I just thought they were discontinued since the local Lincoln-Mercury dealer stopped running screamer ads for deals on brand new Grand Marquis and Town Cars.

They've switched to the MKS for their screamer bargains... :surprise:

I will say, though, that the Extended Town Car had quite a bit of legroom...
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,321
    John Edwards would agree with you. ;)
  • My oversight. We are not considering larger sedans. Certainly they may appeal to others though.
1235»
This discussion has been closed.