Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kia Rondo Owner Reports

2»

Comments

• Our first Dodge Caravan made incredible wind noise if we drove over anour 40 & it was raining or the weather was even damp, much less raining. If heavy rain, it screamed like harpies. That's what we called it, the Harpies.

We just put up with it. It didn't happen all the time, only for rain. The next one was from the next generation, no noise.

I think with the Rondo, they did not test for wind noise. Maybe next time, they will
  • All car companies do. It's what their engineers find as acceptable that matters.

Sorry, but my '07 LX is as quiet a car as I have ever owned (and many of those were new ones). If there is a strong crosswind while driving at highway speeds, some wind noise occurs, but not enough to drive one to distraction.

IMHO, for a $16K car, the Rondo is smooth, quiet and relatively refined. Just turned 21K miles, and yesterday remarked to my bride that the car is the very best investment in a car I've made...ever! Averaging 26 all-purpose mpg now; it fits my band gear; and never back to the dealer for any reason, over 2 years.
  • Maybe Kia has hard of hearing engineers! : -- )

As long as it hasn't got harpies, I wouldn't mind. I am more concerned about the darn headrest that bops me right at the part of my head that sticks out farthest.
  • I own a 2009 Kia Rondo with the 6 cyl engine.I keep having problems with the coils going bad,I feel there is a short but the dealer just keeps changing the coil and telling me theres nothing they can do.My warranty runs out soon,has anyone else expierienced this problem.I know when its going bad because the engine starts to falter like it doesn't want to run Thanks for any help
  • bgwbgw Posts: 116
    Richwood,
    We have an 07 V6. Our rear bank's coil went bad in Feb 2009 with less than 35,000 kms. The dealer had not seen a bad Rondo coil before and hoped to take one from a V6 Magentis (Optima in the US) which they had on their lot but they were slightly different. So one was ordered from Kia (probably all the way from Korea). It took a week to arrive and just a morning to install. All warranty, of course. Our dealer supplied a loaner for the entire period.
    The problem did not occur again. The Rondo now has over 60,000 km and has been fantastically reliable.
  • Thanks for your reply,I had the dealer change mine around 50,000 miles and it just happened again around 53,000 miles,thats why i was thinking something was shorting it out.But since no computer readings the dealer won't look any further
  • I had the AC compressor clutch replaced $385 I think for parts and labor. After complaining about the frequency of front end alignments and the fact that I am on my 4th set of tires, they said that they could slot the control arms on the rear to get it within alignment specifications. I managed to not get mad and told them I wished they had discovered that two sets of tires ago. We will see if it works.

Also have had the dealer replace both headlights that have burned out this year and had them fix some marker lights on the front that were out.

The Rondo has been a decent vehicle. I wouldn't buy one again though. I'm not in a car buying mood, so I might be driving this vehicle for a long time. I'm planing on having the 90,000 mile service done at another dealer that I trust more than the Kia dealer. They do it for about 1/2 the cost that Kia charges.
  • Not saying that your problems didn't happen nor that you may not have gotten a particular Ronda that has developed issues for whatever reasons. But I am in just the opposite frame of mind as you are.

I'd buy another one if I could and wouldn't bother to shop for any other vehicle. I've never had a single problem; have never been back to the dealer for anything. The vehicle has 41K miles on it, consistently gets 23-26 mpg per tankful (29-30 mpg on longer trips), carries/fits all my heavy musical band gear, and rides quitely and comfortably.
    I did buy another Rondo.
    We lost our 2007 EX V6 in an accident in March, and purchased a 2011 EX V6 to replace it. We liked the 07 so much, that when it came time to car shop again, the only real choice for my family was another Rondo.
  • Has anyone had issues with their 07 Rondo? I have about 72000 miles on my Rondo and I bought it new in March of 08. I had the O2 sensor replaced once early on. This summer, at about 65000 miles, the clutch on the A/C went out (in the middle of a heat wave of course) and spent a lot of money getting it diagnosed and fixed. There were all kinds of issues getting parts. In September my airbag light went on and I contacted KIA directly and they had in their records all kinds of misinformation like I wasnt' the original owner. I sent them the documents they wanted and never heard back. Now I failed emissions - check engine light went on on my way to the testing place and it coded out at P2A03. I looked it up - O2 sensor. after parking for about a 1/2 hour, the check engine light went off. This happened the first time too (light on then off) and they gave me trouble about fixing it even though the code was in the memory until the light came on again. If they do that again, I may not be able to re-register the car if it fails again.
    Between the problems with the dealer service department, getting parts, all of the non-maintenance related issues (which they keep trying to tell me everything is maintenance related but I can't figure out what an airbag issue or A/C clutch has to do w/routine maintenance), problems with O2 sensors, etc. I'm very sour on KIA right now and would never buy another one.
    I'm curious, though, if these are things other people are seeing too?
  • 2007 Rondo, bought new in 10/07. Best car I've ever owned. 45K miles, and never back to the dealer (or anywhere else) for anything.
    Gotta tell you, I had to say "wow" reading your post. If that's been the complete list of "issues" you've had with a 4 year old car after 72,000 miles, (and IMHO it really sounds mostly like a matter with a single dealer's service dept.,) and you really feel you'll never buy Kia again because of it, well, good luck with another maker, my friend.
    I can give you at least a half dozen stories/examples of new cars I've owned where the littany of issues, and problem dealings with dealers, would make your case seem trivial. These were with Chevys, Fords, Nissans, Dodges, Subarus, all with less than 30K miles on them. Issues with brakes, motor mounts, O2s, suspensions, fuel injection, rear ends, transmissions, tire pressure sensors, electrical systems, and so on.
  • hopx4hopx4 Posts: 11
    I have an 07 that I bought new in January 08 and have 102,000 miles on it. I replaced two O2 sensors before the warranty ended and had the same A/C clutch problem this summer, but that's it so far. The only real complaint I have with the car is the wind noise on the highway...and I spend a lot of time on the highway as you can tell from my mileage.
  • I have an '09 Rondo and we have replaced the rear wiper blade. Also oil changes etc. I'm not keen on the racket from the rear windows but if you open the front windows at the same time, it doesn't happen. And for me, there is only a short window of time during Fall & Spring when I'd be driving on highways with the windows open -- the rest of the year either the heat or the AC is on.

I love this car and I just hope someone is making a similar model the next time I have to buy. It is just the right size for us, has great cargo room for our needs, the short driver (me) sits "high" in the car, I can see very well out of all the windows---I hate the narrow rear windows in almost every car these days. The only thing I would like to see improved is the gas mileage.
  • I'm pretty happy with the mpg. I average 24-25 mpg thru all types of driving. 29-30 on straight hwy, worst is in winter in the city when she gets down to 18 mpg.
    I need the vehicle for hauling my band's gear, and have been anxiety ridden since Kia announced no new Rondos in the USA after 2010. There simply isn't a car right that can do what the Rondo does for me, at its price, with its mpg, and with the 70+ cu. ft. of FLAT floor cargo space. Jeep Compass comes closest, again at a decent price.
  • ramblinmo - I had the same A/C problem in the summer. It cost me more to fix it and then it took forever to get the parts. About 2 months later (Sept) my airbag light went on. Now I failed emissions and I believe the O2 sensor needs to be replaced AGAIN (this will be the 2nd). I go through headlights, taillights, etc. like there's no tomorrow - I've given up on those. I like the car ok, I have a V6 so it's relatively fun to drive and it's good with kids. But I'm with you, I won't buy another. I'm thinking it looks like it's a high milage thing. I've had other cars that did better than this with a lot more miles on it.
  • At 60,400 miles, my air bag light came on. I found out that my steering wheel air bag is defective and will cost me over $1,000 to replace. Go figure...less than 500 miles after warranty ends!
  • Isn't the warranty to 100,000 miles?
  • Recall ID # 90643 - AIR BAGS:FRONTAL
    Recall Date:
    JAN 17, 2012
    Model Affected:
    2007 Kia Rondo
    Summary:
    KIA MOTORS AMERICA, INC. (KIA) IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2006-2008 KIA OPTIMA VEHICLES MANUFACTURED FROM SEPTEMBER 29, 2005, THROUGH JANUARY 29, 2008, AND MODEL YEAR 2007 AND 2008 KIA RONDO VEHICLES MANUFACTURED FROM SEPTEMBER 13, 2006, THROUGH MARCH 21, 2008. THE CLOCK SPRING CONTACT ASSEMBLY FOR THE DRIVER'S SIDE AIR BAG SUPPLEMENTAL RESTRAINT SYSTEM (SRS) MAY BECOME DAMAGED THROUGH USAGE OVER TIME. IF THE CLOCK SPRING CONTACT ASSEMBLY BECOMES DAMAGED, THE DRIVER'S AIR BAG ELECTRICAL CIRCUIT WILL EXPERIENCE A HIGH RESISTANCE CONDITION POTENTIALLY CAUSING THE DRIVER'S AIR BAG TO NOT DEPLOY.
    Consequences:
    IF THE CLOCK SPRING DEVELOPS HIGH RESISTANCE, IN THE EVENT OF A CRASH, THE DRIVERS AIR BAG WILL NOT DEPLOY AND WILL NOT BE ABLE TO PROPERLY PROTECT THE DRIVER, INCREASING THE RISK OF INJURIES.
    Remedy:
    KIA WILL NOTIFY OWNERS, AND DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE VEHICLE'S AIR BAG CLOCK SPRING CONTACT ASSEMBLY AS NECESSARY, FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING MARCH 2012. OWNERS MAY CONTACT KIA CUSTOMER ASSISTANCE CENTER AT 1-800-333-4542.
    Potential Units Affected:
    Notes:
    KIA MOTORS CORPORATION
  • I'm with you. I bought my '07 in 2011 with 27000 miles on it. Now I have 47000 on it and have no problems. Your comment on the mileage makes me smile, as I have the V6 and honestly, I get 27 around the area I live in, which is rural and hilly and 31 on the freeway going to visit my daughter in Milwaukee. I can't believe the mileage is so great! I wish they had not discontinued the Rondo as I would love to buy a new one someday! :)
    Skippy0817, you can still buy Rondos in Canada. We loved our 2007 EX Luxury V6 so much, that we replaced it with a same model 2011 in April 2011. We too are getting really good fuel economy, esp on the highway.
  • joel41joel41 Posts: 1
    To the person who got the Lemon Rhondo, I'm sorry to hear that. I have had more than my share of lemons in the past.

I pruchased mine almost new as a deonstrator with 10,800 miles. It was $200 more than the 10 year old Honda CRV with 110,000 miles on it on the same lot.

I can't say enough positive about this car. The Rhondo must have been designed by a real sized person who actually uses his cars. It has been the Best car I have ever owned. I am 6' tall, 250 lb and have more than ample head and leg room. My dad is 6,2" and had more than enough head and leg room in the rear seat.

The visability and leg room is better than my Dodge Caravan.

With the V6, there is more than enough zip to get in and out of traffic on the freeway. On a country straight away, I decided to "test it" and got up to 110 mph and it was still accelorating. The car can be "fun to drive" when I decide to drive that way. Over all I need a car that gets up to speed when entering the freeway without worrying about the the semi already at highway speed. More than enough here.

While the doors may be an issue in tight parking, I love the fact that the actually open all the way so you can get a box the size of the door in the back (unlike my dad's Buick). Controlls are easy to reach and use while driving. I do a lot of hauling with this car (boxes, dogs, camping gear etc,) its great.

The only neatives I have found are at 27 mph, my Caravan got that (sometimes beter). I was disappointed when the brake pads needed replacing at 30k miles. The dealer said it was because they can no longer use asbestos for break pads, and at 56k miles they may need replacing again.

The heater can cook you out even at sub zero temperatures. I never could get warm in my Caravan. The black dash board dose make the car hot in the summer but it dose keep glare down.

Overall, I would buy another Rhondo in a heart beat and family members are looking for them as their next vehicle. Unfortunately, they are no longer being imported to the U.S.
  • Thanks for your report on your Rondo (no "h" in that name).

I now have 48K on my 2007 LX, 4-cyl. Still the best new car I have ever owned (and I've owned MANY).
    If you are consistently getting 27 mpg in mixed driving with the V6, count your blessings. I get 21 city, 29 hwy, 24 mixed with my 4-cyl.
    I just had my brakes replaced (rotors, pads all around). On one hand, getting to 48K with the original brakes is quite good---especially compared to all the American brands I have ever owned. Plus, to get that total brake job done for $800 was very reasonable; I was expecting much higher.
    Wish Kia still offered the Rondo in the USA. I'd be buying a new one in about 18 months if it was available. Nothing out there right now offers the mpg, flat 70 cf of cargo room, and great low price that the Rondo does/did.
  • 93949394 Posts: 67
    too bad the Rondo is discontinued in the US, may be that's why the Rondo is still stuck with the 4 speed tranny (in the 2.4L) while most of the other KIAs and HYUNDAIs have 6 speed which would definitely improve its gas mileage.
  • ncbound712ncbound712 Posts: 1
    Ok, I purchased my 2007 Kia Rondo in March. So far I love it. Rides nice, etc. However, my Kia did not come with an instruction manual. Lately, my CD won't eject and sometimes the controls on the steering column or the button on the stereo won't recognize that there is a CD in there or eject the one that is in there. I like the CD but not for it to be the only CD in there. Anyone have suggestions that I could do?
  • 93949394 Posts: 67
    you can download the manual in PDF format from:
    https://www.kiatechinfo.com

• You are very lucky and probably only one who hasn't had problems with this stupid car. I have had every problem imaginable and before recalls were issued. I was told how crazy I was and didn't have any issues it was just me being a girl and didn't know what I was talking about...that made me mad!! And now almost 5 years after buying it, I now have another serious problem, if I drive when it's wet out, then my check engine light, brake indicator and seatbelt lights come on along with loud screeching and grinding sound and lose power steering and steering wheel and brakes lock up. Not good with my kid in the car and while in traffic! Needless to say, come Monday if they have no clue what's wrong, I'll be left with looking for a new car. My last car was original Kia sportage and LOVED it, NEVER had a problem (owned for 7 years) until someone hit me almost totaling it. I think there is a very good reason they no longer sell them in the US. I don't think anyone would buy it with all current problems on the existing ones. Good luck and hope you never experience the problems I have had and have to constantly take off work (not good for a single mom) and not to mention fearing for my and my daughters life everytime there's a new issue! :sick:
  • I have been in similar situations to yours with 3 other new cars that I have bought in my lifetime. It happens. But I've not sworn off those makes/models; in 2 cases, I bought another car of the same make later. Again, one can always get a bad car that is not representative of the model or car company as a whole.
    You are feeling frustrated and angry. I certainly understand that, given what you'be been through, and you can bad-mouth the particular Rondo you own. However, I am not, as you put it, "probably the only one who hasn't had problems with this stupid car." Just see all the generally positive posts in this forum (and forums are notorious for being weighed toward whiner comments). Also, your saying "I don't think anyone would buy it with all current problems on the existing ones" doesn't jive with the feelings of many on this forum nor with repair/problem track records kept by watchdog consumer groups. Your bad feeling towards the Rondo is certainly your opinion, but again, it's merely that, your opinion. And mine is merely that the Rondo has been a great vehicle, meeting all my needs with minimal repair and upkeep issues and expenses.
  • So sorry you seem to have caught a lemon! I have an 09 Rondo, 4 cyl & we are delighted with it. The only problem it has had was the "Check Engine" light not wanting to go ff after the servicing dates. But then it did turn off, so go figure.

We do service it and change things that need changing and I make my husband change the oil at 3 - 3500k.

I'm not that happy with the mileage but I get way better than my husband does, so it has a lot to do with the "weight" of the foot. I have gotten 35 on highway, though not often, more like 28-29 on a good day. I get 23-24 city.

I would buy another one in a minute, but they don't sell them here any more.. The size is perfect for our needs and I love the great views all around from the big windows. Kia took them out of the US because they wanted to push buyers into the Sorento. We'll use this one until it dies and then we'll look around & see if anyone has decided to offer this size & type vehicle in the US. I hate SUVs, can't stand feeling like a little doll in a tank. Good luck with your Rondo & I hope it deos better in future!
2»