Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Subaru Forester mileage reports

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,269
    That is what I was thinking, too: Short trips with significant idling.

What was your previous vehicle, and what mileage did you see from it on the same trips?
  • Unfortunately, most of my trips are short, but not much idling. A lot of hills. My last car was a BMW X5 and I got the same type of mileage with a much larger engine. The main reason for getting the Forrester was due to the city mileage.
  • Most of my trips are up and down hills as I do live above the Castro, but I do drive all over the city, I wouldn't say constantly sitting, but a lot of stop and go. Still I think 13 is way too low.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Try to combine errands when possible. In other words, start the engine when it's still warm from the last trip.

It takes about 2 miles for ours to warm up. No matter where we seem to drive, the average MPG will drop at first, then start to go back up again.

It's notably less efficient while it's warming up.
  • gabe1475gabe1475 Posts: 2
    Also try not to speed too much and get off the accelerator one you see a light has turned red. I am surprised by how many people are accelerating to withing 100 ft of a red light then slam the brake. We are consistently averaging 29MPG around town, and 34MPG on the Freeway (driving 60MPH). The numbers on this car are awesome for an SUV.
    If you time it just right, the light either turns green as soon as you get there, or you've coasted to a stop and not wasted any energy. :shades:
  • sgloonsgloon Posts: 303
    My 2009 got great!!! gas mileage, similar to yours. But, the 2010 gets poor gas mileage with the same driver driving the same way. Down as low as 22 or 24mpg out of a tank(sometiems less), best is about 29 with only hiway driving. The 2009 never got a tank anywhere near as low as the 2010's avg.

Is there anything I should look at to try to tune the 2010 closer to how the 2009 behaved?
  • occkingoccking Posts: 346
    I now have approc 31,000 lbs on my 09. For full tanks have ranged between 27 and the lowest probably 21.5. Per computer, since "day one" I have averaged just about 26 mpg, actual mileage probably in the 25.5 range.

Much of my driving, probably 75% is highway driving. If I drive distances more than 65 mph, the mileage will dip a bit, so I rarely go over 70
  • bigfrank3bigfrank3 Posts: 426
    My 10 is doing about what yours is, although it is not broken in yet. Maybe your 09 was a "freak". In any case have you checked the obvious like tire pressure?

I think I have missed something, what happened to your 09 that you got a 10?
    Could simply be that the new one is still green, and hasn't broken in yet.

I tracked my mileage on my 1998, every tank, and by 15k miles my average went up by 2mpg.
    His was the one that had the awful off-gassing - it was causing him illness! I think Subaru finally relieved him of it and he picked up the '10 as a replacement.
    edited April 2010
    I'm going to give my car through the end of May and then report on fuel economy. So far in April, with the weather warming dramatically at about the month split (night time temps the last couple days have barely dipped below freezing!), fuel economy is up dramatically from March and prior. We have about 11,000 miles on the '10 5mt.
  • saedavesaedave Chicago, ILPosts: 680
    With still less than 1000 miles on my 2010 XT, mpg is at least 25% better in town than the 2005 Outback 3.0R it replaced: 15 mpg stop-sign-to-stop-sign versus 11.5! And for suburban driving 20 versus 17. It wont be hard to improve on the 24.5 mpg max highway for the 3.0R, but I don't know yet.
    The XT is geared taller, so highway MPG should be quite good if you can stay off the boost. :P
    Thanks Wes. I was hoping there was no accident involved.
    edited April 2010
    My 09 was poisoning me because of issues with the heater box. Breathing the coolant, refrigerant, lanolin blend oil and who knows what else, I was sick for over a year. Couldn't see out to drive, coating all parts of car including rear hatch, and the inside of my lungs. Finally got it switched out last September after 8 months of dickering. Didn't get medical bills paid.

The 09 was great on gas mileage, but not so great for my health. I don't think it was a freak, think the 10 is the freak for poor mileage...I'll double check the tire pressure...was thinking it may be bad timing as the engine is noisier. Asked the dealer to check, but they said all 10s sound that way...much different sound than the 09.
    Thanks for the update. I remember your issues just missed the final chapter. Glad you got it resolved and hope your health stays good.

Timing is set and controlled by the computer, nothing to adjust. Your 10 seems to be doing about what mine and others report, your 09 seems to have been unusual. My 10 seems to be doing much better than my 06 or the 05 my wife had. My worst mileage is out on the highway because I drive faster than 65 or 70, but on rural roads I can get over 30. Still wish I had a fifth gear, although with the taller tires the RPMs are a couple hundred lower than my 06 was which has to be helping a little.

If you suspect that your computer has picked up some bad "habits" during its learning process you can always disconnect a battery cable for a few minutes. When you reconnect it the computer will start from scratch and re-learn how you drive it.

Good luck!
    Thanks, Frank!

Mine is a manual, so I would expect to get at least a couple of mpg better than many of the posts on here. I did love the mileage my 09 got. Best thing about that car.

I will try disconnecting the battery! That sounds like a good place to try. BTW, do you happen to know if I will loose anything else when I disconnect it, such as mpg to date, programmed radio stations, or any of the other stored data?

(I definitely want to write down my radio stations before disconnecting if I may lose them...)

Thanks
    I forgot that you drive the 5-speed, so yes, you should get a couple or few MPG better.

I haven't disconnected the battery on my 10 but on my previous 3 Foresters I lost everything, including radio stations and both trip odo readings. Since the MPG calculation is based on each trip odo I suspect you will lose those readings too.

Possibly the Toyota influence has changed something but I doubt it. On my Tundra, when I disconnect the battery I lose the clock but not the radio, don't remember about the trip odo(s). Obviously they back up the radio with another battery somewhere, but I would be surprised if Subaru does that.
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Posts: 2,346
    I liked this post..it's all in the details. As someone who tends to get into specifics myself, I'm sure that's why i appreciate posts like this.

Juice, you guys still happy with the Forester? I can't recall if u still have it or went Toyota or? I've been checking into Saab, and discovered you had one of those too back in 01 or 02. Would you buy another?
    I have always been curious about them, but due to no AWD and my (possibly misdirected) perception of unreliability, I have always bypassed them. Recently I have read that they have wonderful seats, and far more dependable than many realize.