Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Sequoia Engine Questions

nlesueurnlesueur Posts: 1
I have a 2001 Toyota Sequoia that needs a new engine (90K miles). I have had no issues with it up till this week. I had the local Toyota dealer change the oil and they 'forgot' to put the oil back in. Needless to say the engine is ruined. They are offering to put a new engine in, or have me trade it in. I have 2 questions. What are any foreseeable issues that I could have with a replaced engine given the reason for the replacement? What is the cost for a new engine or a rebuilt one. I don't feel like the dealership is giving me a great deal right now and I want to make sure to make the right decision as to replace or trade in. Any thoughts anyone has on this would be great.

Comments

• ksmoothksmooth Posts: 1
    DOES ANY ONE KNOW WHERE I CAN GO TO GET A DIESEL ENGINE FOR MY SEQUOIA... I AM TO BIG TO FIT IN ONE OF THOSE LITTLE CARS AND LOVE THE ROOM IN MY SUV BUT WANT TO SAVE SOME GAS.... HELP
  • blufz1blufz1 Posts: 2,045
    Yes,wait for the diesel Pilot.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,850
    You can get a GL320 CDI in 45 of the states. Or the new Jeep Grand Cherokee is in Showrooms NOW! Both use the same diesel engine. With a lot less hassle than adapting a diesel engine to your current SUV.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 1,542
    Wow, you are asking for a ton of headaches.
    First off, the wiring won't support the diesel, neither will the fuel lines and tank, neither will the front suspension or the drivetrain.
    So, unless you are gonna take a diesel frame and running gear and put the Sequoia on it, you are in for a real nightmare.
  • hsp2hsp2 Posts: 2
    I changed the spark plugs on my sequoia and the engine misses now, what can be the problem.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Are the sockets seated properly? You may want to double check.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • harboharbo Posts: 136
    I would buy one in a flash. I have 90K on my 02. Good for a 1/4 Million the way it feels. I will impatiently wait for a diesel. Hear that Toyota !!
  • nedzelnedzel Posts: 787
    "DOES ANY ONE KNOW WHERE I CAN GO TO GET A DIESEL ENGINE FOR MY SEQUOIA."

Sorry, but you can't. And even if you could, the cost would astronomical (and thus, not economical). If you want a diesel SUV, your choices are 1) buy a 45-state-legal Mercedes (ML320 or GL320) 2) VW Touareg V10, or 3) wait a few years until there are more diesel SUVs available.
  • hdfatboyhdfatboy Posts: 324
    File a lawsuit. You should accept nothing less than a brand new engine given their complete and utter negligence. A lawsuit will be the only way to get their "full" attention and a complete repair of your vehicle. Don not accept a trade-in unless they are prepared to give you the full value of a retail sale, not trade-in value. Good luck.
  • Anyone have a converted Sequoia running an Alternative Fuel???
  • Hello all, I'm new to the board and I have a question. We bought a 2010 Sequoia SR5 4x4 with the 5.7L engine about 3 weeks ago. At 275 miles the check engine light came on and the dealer checked it saying it was the oil control valve sensor. They switched the sensors so they were on opposite banks. About a week later 550mi. the light came on again. This time dealer said it was the oil control valve sensor on one of the banks they had switched. They ordered the part and switched it out. The day we got it back from the dealer, the light came on again. Took it in again on Friday, and the OCV on the opposite side needed to be replaced. They kept the vehicle for the weekend ordered the part and on Tuesday called and said they had talked to Toyota and that they were told by Toyota not to change the sensor and they should do an oil change and give the car back to us. Toyota says this is a national problem with all the 2010 Sequoias and until they have figured out the problem the vehicle is driveable. Has anyone else had this problem? Whats the likelyhood this will cause a problem with the engine down the line? I sure hope they hurry up with the solution.
  • ratmratm Posts: 11
    We have a 2010 SR5 4X4 with the 4.6L engine. The check engine light came on at maybe 200 miles. We talked to two Toyota technicians and they both told us it was not a problem driving the SUV while the light is on. I was about to get it checked but the light does not come on anymore. I'm sure it was not a overfilled gas tank and I always make sure the gas cap is turned enough to hear the click. Thanks for letting us know about this problem. Please keep us updated. I now wonder if I should get the oil changed before the first scheduled oil change.
  • Well, so far since we've gotten the vehicle back after the oil change the check engine light has not come on agian. We've driven about 500 miles since getting it back and no problems. Let's hope it stays that way.
  • We bought a 2010 Limited with the 5.7L engine and the checkengine light has just come on at about 430 miles. We have only had the truck 7 days today. The dealer can't see us until Monday. I may have the oil changed ahead of the appointment and see what happens.
  • I have a 2010 Limited 4x4, 5.7, the check engine light came on @ 230 miles and 7 days. Dealer cleared the code but did not have an answer for me. 1200 miles currently
  • I just got mine last week and I have little over 300 miles. Now I am nervous about it and started to think about the purchase. I like the ride and comfort. My kids love it too. I will let you know guys if I experience the same issue.
  • we just purchased a new plat. seq. Engine light came on and they are telling me about a tch boultn that explains some vehicals have metal shavings collected from the oil pan in the oil. They said it is safe to replace. I am not buying it. I left the truck at the lot and have been on hold with toyota for an hour. I dont know about you all but anything, in the oil means its in the engine.
  • I just bought 2010 plat 3 days ago and my check engine light came on at 200 miles. I am concerned given the money I paid for this vehicle. I am headed to the dealer first thing this morning. will let you know what this dealer tells me.
  • ratmratm Posts: 11
    Just a follow-up on my check-engine light. It came on at 200 miles for a while but never came back on since maybe 6 weeks. I had the truck for 2 months and there's 2000 miles on it. From what I read here, looks like it could be something that happen in the first 500 miles.
  • I have an 2008 Sequoia and never have had the check engine light come on, wonder what is different between the 2008 models and the 2010?
    I would strongly recommend to those who have this problem show up send a sample of their oil off for analysis to be sure you don't have "metal" shavings in your oil.