Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Liberty SkySlider Roof

Comments

• READ THIS !!!!!
    Well... i wish wind noise was my only problem ! I purchased a jeep liberty 2008 6 months ago with the sky slider roof .. i actually purchased it in the summer ... the front of the sky slider liner is actually glued to a metal bar .. when it got over hot the glue melted and now the liner falls down and the roof does seal tight anymore ... iv had jeep fix it 4 times already and everytime it comes unglued ... the wind noise is so terrible i blast the radio to avoid the noise ... i actually have yet another appointment with jeep to have it fixed.. DOES LEMON LAW ring a bell. a 30,000 jeep shouldnt have these problems i should be enjoying it ... has anyone else had these problems >>???? email me at Rachel.Ricci@yahoo.com thanks
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    email me at...

If we keep the conversation here then no one will be deprived of valuable information. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • gtangjrgtangjr Posts: 25
    Rachel,

You're right about the metal bar and the glue. The day we bought our Liberty was the hottest of the year in Los Angeles (pushing 117 degrees) and yes, the glue didn't hold.

Good news: the TSB I posted addresses your issue, so long as you have the NEW parts (backordered) and your dealer takes his or her time fixing the issue.

More on this in another post!

Gilbert
    I have great news. I am happy to say that our backordered NEW parts FINALLY came in and the dealer was able to fix the wind noise.

I've had the Jeep up to 100mph and the only noise we get now is that which is associated with having a fabric top. In other words, the car is MUCH, MUCH, MUCH quieter and doesn't sound like your windshield is going to fly off.

This is excellent news for anyone having Sky Slider issues.

For those with questions, have your DEALER (if everyone calls themselves, it will end in frustration for all) contact Davis Ellis Jeep in Canoga Park, CA. Jerry is the service manager and should be able to shed some light.

Once again, our issue is resolved and we are thrilled. It's like getting a new car all over again.

Gilbert

PS - I didn't really catch all the tech mumbo jumbo, but as a starting point my dealer mentioned the metal bar and how it has these four bolts that go into it, holding the roof in place. The first version came loose, causing the noise. The second version of the part (old TSB) did the same. The newest backordered version now fixes it since apparently the bolts are tighter and more recessed.
  • Thanks for posting... taking this info to my dealer at lunch time... I'd settle for no wind noise at 70mph... starting to go deaf from having to turn the radio up all the way to hear over the wind :(

Jim Greiner
  • Contacted my dealer and have the repair parts on order... like gtangjr, parts are on backorder so will just have to wait for them to arrive... Has anybody else had the latest fix which gtangjr described done, and how has it worked out for you? Thanks

Jim
  • I just bought a new 2008 liberty on 1/1/09 and have been fighting with the dealer for 18 days about how noisy the slider roof is. At one point the District manager and two service reps at least acknowledged that the noise was excessive. They ordered a new "bow" and replaced it after having the vehicle for two weeks. I sayt the noise is unchanged - they say it has been fixed and the remaining noise is just normal for that feature. I have paperwork that says a Chrysler engineer said (before they replaced the bow) that replacing the bow would not fix the problem. I have contacted the customer service reps for Chrysler, have been at the dealership for 18+ hours and no resolution. Now the dealer refused to even let me leave the car for them to attempt anything else and Chrysler refuses to buy the car back. I am thinking of a lawsuit especially since I asked about the noise during my test drive and was told it was a minor adjustment. That comment lead to me buying the car. I would have never purchased the vehicle if I had been told that the noise we were experiencing was the normal noise for the car. You have to turn the radio way up at 50-60 mph and you have to practically scream at people in the backseat. Of course the service rep that made the decision to replace the bow even though the engineer said it wouldn't fix it is now the one saying it is quieter and fixed so the owner and district manager believe him. i completely feel your frustration!!!!! :mad:
  • i am completely frustrated with my slider roof. I have been trying for 19 days to get some resolution to the noise issue. I dont know if you are talking about the bow as the part that was replaced that fixed your issue but they did that already with mine and it has not helped. My vehicle starts to be noisy and whistle at 35-40 mph and gets worse from there up. At 65-70 it is unbearable and you ahve to turn the radio way up and practically scream at people in the backseat. i am especially frustrated since my dealer was told by a Chrysler engineer that replacing the bow would not fix the problem...they went ahead and did it and now are saying it is fixed and that the remaining noise is just noise from a cloth top! I asked about this problem during the test drive prior to purchase and was told it was a minor adjustment. It certainly hasn't been a minor adjustment and I would never have bought the vehicle if the salesperson had not assured me that the minor adjustment would resolve the noise. I will contact the dealer you mentioned. thanks maybe your fix is a different fix. :mad:
    It is a shame that your dealer (as well as the commenter above you) isn't working with you on this and instead chooses to be confrontational. Our dealership was excellent. We still have ZERO problems with our roof following my post about the matter finally being fixed. At 80-90 MPH the noise is perfectly what one would expect with a cloth roof, and is in fact quieter than that of our 2006 Solara Convertible with the top up.

I would recommend having your dealer call my dealer, David Ellis Chrysler Jeep in Canoga Park, CA. Have them talk to Kenny in service. He is wonderful, but I should warn you he is usually very busy and difficult to get in touch with. Again, I would have the dealer call so it's a lot less frustrating to my dealer, as opposed to several customers from seemingly out of nowhere. BEST OF LUCK!
  • cmoa84cmoa84 Posts: 8
    Ive beed dealing with the same problem since last year and they are telling me the same thing .. "that noise is normal" ... But the thing is that when I bought the car it wasnt doing that noise at all.

Hopefully we can find a solution for this problem...
    Your issue is consistent with the loosening of whatever part it was that my dealer fixed. It's likely just a matter of them doing it correctly. Also, your early fix could have been done with older parts, which were subsequently recalled for their ineffectiveness. There is a newer part that I had to wait a long time for. Read this thread in its entirety for complete information. Good luck.
  • Just purchased an 09 with SkySlider. No noise or issues yet... I wonder if the 09's had the new parts installed at the factory. Anyone know?
    I know for certain (per my dealer) the new parts have been implemented.
  • I am haveing the same problem, I have an appointment Wednesday with the dealer, any updates? Part numbers???
  • I am having the same issues and have to bring my Liberty 08 in for them to look at again. Originally, they flashed the computer and it seemed to work better but then it just loosened up again and there was horrible noise. They say they read all of the latest Service Bulletins so if you have anymore specifics on what the part actually is or more of an explanation that would help alot. this is so frustrating.
  • I had the same problem,and fixed it by dealer last week. There is no noise so far. The parts # are 68057092AA which is Bow-Folding Top,and 68038578AA which is Grease-Nyogel 729F. Of course it was free to fix.
  • Thanks for the update. This should help out a lot and I am taking it in today for them to look at it. With this information I know they wont BS me and it will save me a lot of time and headach. Will keep everyone posted on the developments.
  • I took the information gathered from here and the ordered the part. It was called a header kit. I am hoping this will work and will keep you posted
  • Hate to disappoint all of you following this thread, but I had this latest fix (replacing header) done around 3000 miles ago... at the time it was done the wind noise was greatly reduced, with only a little noise coming from the passenger side of the skyslider... over the past 3000 miles however, the noise has gradually increased to the point it's as noisy as it was before the repair... Again, another CHEEP (CHryslerjEEP) repair... time to get the lemon law lawyers involved :mad:
  • I also purchased an "09" Liberty with a "skyslider" roof. Noise is not the right word for it. I'm assuming that Chrysler/Jeep didn't learn nor try to fix the problem for the 2009 model year. Noted to my dealer that there is a Blt. from Chrysler Jeep concerning this problem but his response was "it was or the 2008 model therefor not applicable to the 2009 model". DUH. I guess I too need to contact whomever about the "Lemon Law". Dealer Service Rep did say he had the same problem but to date has not found a solution for it other than a fixed air dam in front of the opening (none sold by JEEP fit this situation) nor offered on the open market. And you wonder why the BIG THREE are having a hard time selling their products...