Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Liberty SkySlider Roof

Comments

• chryslergroupchryslergroup Member Posts: 35
    Hello lynchbro,

Protection for the Skyslider Roof
    For appearance purposes, you may wish to protect the acrylic (cloth) top periodically. A fabric protectant such as Scotchguard® is suggested. The top should be clean and dry before application of the protectant.

CAUTION!
    Avoid getting Scotchguard® on the surrounding weather strips, moldings, paint, or glass. Damage to these items might occur.

There is other information about properly maintaining the Skyrider Roof in the Owner's Manual starting on page 196.

Lisa
    Customer Care
    Chrysler Group LLC
  • phillkphillk Member Posts: 4
    I m finding so difficult to understand why Chrysler keeps leaving this problem unfixed for so many years. Its just a wind deflector.... Im an owner of a Jeep KK with the sky slider roof and also have this terrible wind noise after 60-65 m/h. I've contact jeepgear, jeep.com, my home dealer, jeep on facebook=> NOTHING! So, i'll ask the question once more:
    Is there or Is there going to be a wind deflector for the sky slider roof in order to minimize the wind noise?
    Please, answer. There are lots of jeep owners with this problem.
  • usafcrewchiefusafcrewchief Member Posts: 3
    edited September 2012
    Hi, I am currently US Military stationed overseas and have run into a problem with my Skyrider sunroof. The aft part of the roof has become disconnected from the mechanism in the tracks that actually moves the roof. I messed with it briefly, but I don't see a quick fix to this. I have the two pins to that go from the bracket into the mechanism, but can't find a way to easily get tham back together. I am nervous because I guarentee that any of the Jeep/Chrsyler dealerships here in Spain have not seen this and would have no idea how to fix this. Any help would be appreciated, please and thank you!!!
  • skysliderskyslider Member Posts: 9
    I would highly suggest that you contact Chrysler. The dealerships in Spain probably know as much about the roof as many in the US - it seems to be a foreign mechanism period. Chrysler is known for having great customer service, so I would just save some time and call them.
  • jessedlambrosjessedlambros Member Posts: 1
    The same thing just happened to mine. I am trying to go through insurance, and they are giving me a hard time. What insurance do you have, and how did you approch it with them?

jessedlambros@verizon.net
    I haven't thought about going through my auto insurance, though I do have USAA. I have been waiting to try and contact Chrysler during the work week, but the time change is making it difficult.
  • catfcatf Member Posts: 6
    I have liberty mutual and they were great. Told them how it had flew off as i was driving. I have contacted chrysler and even though there are some people on here that said they received help I did not. I know they also say it was a couple thousand to fix but with all the parts and the month it took to fix it was 6500 and 1000 for the rental car. I wish you the best of luck I went with a broken roof for almost a year before I got it fixed because I was jerked around a lot. I really wish chrysler would just admit a problem and step up and help people.
    I believe customer satisfaction relies heavily on the dealership. I had issues with a Chevy dealership's service department that caused me to not ever want to enter a dealership service department again (and my dad even manages a service department - different dealership). When I had problems with the Jeep, I tried a dealership service department again. I had a terrible experience again and even with Chrysler involved, they were not putting much effort into customer satisfaction. I took the Jeep to a different Jeep dealership and was absolutely amazed - they had the top replaced in 2 days. The difference could be that the second dealership is lower volume and knows many of their customers by name. They need their customers to keep coming back to sustain their service department. They even washed and detailed my vehicle!!! All the dog hair was gone and the tires were shined :) The first dealership is high volume and obviously just does not care at all. It would be nice if all dealership service departments were monitored better by the parent companies.
  • skyelog1skyelog1 Member Posts: 5
    I went through my insurance company as well, which is Geico, and thank God they took care of mine when it also flew off in traffic. It was over $3,500 to repair, and I contacted Chrysler who "escalated my claim" and assigned a case manager to me who was to call me within 24 hours to discuss. I never once heard from her regarding my claim with them. Never. I did get a survey from Chrysler, but when I tried to fill it out, it was "unavailable." I wrote the guy that sent me the survey a letter and sent it certified. No response. This is my third Jeep and every single one of them had their own issues, and you would think I'd have learned my lesson by now. Chrysler makes crappy vehicles and just walks away smiling. They could care less about you or your problems with their products. The Sky Slider was such a cool feature though, I was hooked. My dealership was the one who suggested I go through insurance and thank God they did because I wouldn't have thought of doing that. I contacted a lawyer who is itching to sue Chrysler in a class action, and I'm not sure that's not a bad idea. It's ridiculous to have our insurance premiums go up because Chrysler won't fix an obviously very dangerous design defect. Because they were unwilling to contact me to even discuss the matter or try to, at a minimum, reimburse the deductible I was out of pocket, this WILL be my last Jeep. I will tell everyone I know about how awful they are and their lack of quality service, and I may end up jumping on board with a nice fat lawsuit. I hate Chrysler. If they were really decent they'd also reimburse the insurance companys that have had to fork out thousands of dollars because of their irresponsibility. I don't know how they sleep at night.
    Good luck! Dad has dealt with customer service for all major auto companies, due to his work, and told me Chrysler has the best customer service of all. He told me this at the very beginning of my Skyslider issues and I found him to be correct - once again.
  • jeepquestjeepquest Member Posts: 1
    My 2006 Jeep Liberty Skyslider track was recently diagnosed by the Dealership and I was told it is broken due to high mileage on my vehicle. First of all, how does the skyslider track break due to mileage? Second of all, how does 13,500 miles per year equate to high mileage? I've seen Jeep Liberty's that are younger than my car with 130,000+ mileage selling for $15,000. They don't have broken skyslider tracks. I barely use my skyslider. How can mileage wear out my skyslider? Any takers on this one?

LJW
  • cp331cp331 Member Posts: 3
    With all due respect, I believe the skyslider did not become available til '08. I had my "09 Libby for a little over two years til I got fed up with the roof. 5 times for leaks all over and numerous calls to Chrysler made me trade it in for an '11 Liberty with a sunroof.
    Well if Chrysler has the best, wonder who has the worst????? I also would like to know how Chrysler picks and chooses who they will help with the costs of the repairs. I did notice that some posts on here had very good luck with Chrysler paying the entire bill. I didn't even get the courtesy of a return call to my claim.
    I've also seen a lot of posts on this site about dealerships not having seen this problem before, and I find that hard to believe. Not the fact that they told you that, but the fact that they haven't seen it before. The dealership I took mine to here in Charleston, South Carolina, not only keep the parts in stock, they have a guy that works there that they refer to as "the Skyslider Man" because he's become somewhat of a master at fixing them. I literally had someone walk up to me in the parking lot of a pharmacy, asked me how I liked the roof, and then gave me the guy's card in case I ever had any problems with it. Thank God I kept it, because a month later, I needed him, and I have to admit, he did a damn good job - even took care of the bad wind noise. And to the lady who was wondering if it was her mileage - that's BS. I only had 35,000 miles on mine (used) and had not even had it six months. For some ridiculous reason, I thought that perhaps since Daimsler was out of the picture, Chrysler would certainly be a better company. WRONG. It just a continuation of bad design, bad manufacturing, and bad service.
    Well this is funny as Hell! Apparenly, Chrysler picks and chooses which posts to be "helpful" to as well picking and choosing which customers to reimburse or pay for a new roof!! Thanks, "Lisa"!! Maybe you'll get a bonus!
    BEST ADVICE YET!!!
  • dkolodziejczakdkolodziejczak Member Posts: 1
    I just got back from the dealer i have my jeep lib 2008 for two month the roof open up. then it took it back to the dealer i got it from. i was told to take it jeep dealer he had it for two day and i was told it was 5000.00 for part and unknow labor.....the jeep had 34000 mile on it call jeep and was told no recall and they will not fix anything because i the third ouner. but the car fax said the they other ouner we dealer...since chrysler bought they went down hill.
    so this is what iam going to do i will take the jeep and have the roof seal..
    and our tax dollor bail chrysler out...
  • denavadenava Member Posts: 1
    It appears that several people have had some luck getting Chrysler to work with them and not again them when dealing with their Sky Slider issues. I just picked my 2010 Jeep Liberty up after 80 days in the Rockville DarCars Jeep dealership. They replaced the Sky Slider a total of three (3) times before it would actually close. The fix - the manufacture of the actual Sky Slider had to build a new one, mount it in a new frame and ship it to the dealership. I racked up 77 days of rental car expenses, told by the dealership they would cover my rental only to find out the day I pick up my car, "You should have borrowed a car from a friend". I don't know about you all but I don't have any friends that would loan me a car for that amount of time, nor do I have the money to cover my car payment and RENTAL car fees. I would love it if someone could post a phone number, address, someone with Chrysler that helped them through a problem with their Sky Slider so that I may get my rental fees back. The dealership is whipping their hands of the problem and says sorry, just bad luck. Nonetheless, this was my second Jeep...it will be my last.
    After being replaced about two months ago, the Skyslider is leaking water and about 3 weeks ago I noticed the same "cable problem" as before :( I don't even drive it far each day (max speed of 55, less than 3 miles each way).
  • marg6marg6 Member Posts: 1
    have a 2008, Liberty with slider roof. The roof never worked right and lots of wind noise now top is totaly broken, brought to dealer, they said, they never had to repair one!!!!! Just got estiment, $3000. plus what we have spent on rental car.These tops are a joke. should have been recalled or stopped making them, years ago.
  • crazeecrazee Member Posts: 1
    Can you HELP! me? What did the "Skyslider man" do to get rid of the wind noise---my roof is working--but the wind noise is HORRIBLE-please reply-
  • suvflgalsuvflgal Member Posts: 13
    If you are still within the limits of Lemon Law do it. If not, try to trade it in. There really is no fix for this faulty design. I did Lemon Law. Good Luck
    LOL, yes. It helped some, but it doesn't change the fact that the top isn't secure enough to avoid letting air in at speeds over 50mph. The force of the air crimps the top. Even after a "new one" was installed. Now my windshield rattles and lets ice/water in and the visor clips were broken off. A friend of mine was scalped by her visor when her Jeep rolled, so having swinging visors does not help quiet that fear.
  • bearysweetbearysweet Member Posts: 1
    Well I only have 32,000 miles and have the same problem..I am very interested in a class action suit because Everything you said is true and typical of chrysler. So let me know if you follow thru with that. I also have Geico so were they good to work with? and did your insurance premiums go up after your claim?
  • nzimmermannzimmerman Member Posts: 1
    i bought a 2012 jeep liberty sky slider last year i have had nothing but problems with it leaking i have had it in the shop 4 different times each time they have had it for about 2 weeks. i just put it in the shop two weeks ago the next morning after picking it up i took it to the car wash and washed and of coarse it started leaking again huge stains so i took it back to the shop. moral of this this storie is dont buy one they suck.
  • sayraysayray Member Posts: 4
    If you read the manual that comes standard in every jeep liberty, the one in the nice green canvas bag, you will see that it states NOT to take the liberty with the sky slider through a car wash. That in doing so it WILL cause the top to leak. The design is very intricate, and the high pressure of a car was will cause damage to the top. You have now just voided any warranty you would have had for the top. I delt with Chrysler on my top, it jumped off track, they were very accommodating and paid in full for the repair of the top and the parts. You should sit and read the manual before proclaiming that the vehicle sucks. That was you own fault.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    A reporter would like to speak to a Jeep fan who owns a late model Liberty. If you'd like to share the reasons why you love Jeep, please send your daytime contact information to pr@edmunds.com no later than Monday, March 18, 2013 at 5 p.m. PT/8 p.m. ET.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• megz0920megz0920 Member Posts: 1
    My jeep liberty sport did the same thing. Did you ever hear back from Chrysler?
  • suvflgalsuvflgal Member Posts: 13
    Yes my vehicle was within my state's Lemon Law period and I pursued it and settled with a payoff of my vehicle plus a few thousand for having low miles. If you are within your lemon law period (info in handbook included with purchase) then do it. It absolutely will not get better long term. They know it is a faulty design and will honor it. Playing around with the dealership after your third fix is a waste of everyone's time and efforts. Good Luck.
    I have yet to return to the states to have it looked at. My vehicle and I have been overseas for the past four years and this has been an issue for the past year. I got the roof to. A point where there is no water leakage and little wind issues, but it will not lock in to place. I am curious to see what the dealership response will be.
  • catfcatf Member Posts: 6
    Just wanted to let all know I haven't had my new roof for even year and guess what....it won't seal shut already and before some of theses "wonderful" people on here start saying I did something I have opened it 3 times before it broke. The guy that fixed it is sending me to another dealer with a guy that knows more about them. I'm kinda stuck with it as I did try the lemon law, chrysler, the attorney general...you name it. I thought after the $6500 for a new one i was good to go but nope. So my advice to all on here...keep looking to see if any lawsuits do come up...even though after chrysler refused to recall all those vehicles they were told to theres not much hope on any of that happening or try to get rid of it other than the slider I love my jeep :( So anyways I wish all of you the best and hope things work out for all
    i ve tried this : http://www.direct4x4.co.uk/universal-sunroof-deflector-black
    it was the only deflector i found that big. its cheap & thin plastic but it fits and does the job ( reduces the noise significantly), at least for the last 5.000 km i have it on.
  • tikosdadtikosdad Member Posts: 1
    Did you choose the 45 inch version?
    Yes, the 45' , the biggest one
  • vin1117vin1117 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2008 Liberty with the sunslider roof, we have had problems with the air leaks since we go the car and brought it in for service several times but it never got any better so we just accepted it. Now 5 years later the cable snapped and we have been told the parts alone will cost over $1000.00 and the dealer and Chrysler have refused to help me! Is there any documentation you have that I can send to Chrysler of your roof being covered by Chrysler? We are very happy with our Jeep it is our third one the only issue has been this roof, our Jeep now has 74,000 miles on it and that is why they will not help us. Any suggestions on how I can get them to help?
    Hello vin1117, all I can help you with is an email address, customerassistre@chrysler.com and a phone number, 1-877-759-5427. The number tho you will need a case manager to get anywhere with I think. You will need to email and get a case manager, and a case number. You really need to stress the poor design, and flaws in the sky slider, yet that same flawed design was continued to be replicated for 5 years!! Until they finally took the liberty off the market. The consumer should not hold the financial burden of fixing the ill designed sky slider when it breaks. Although my issue happened at 32000 miles, they really should cover it at least once. Mine also was a snapped cable, and apparently the entire assembly track. BUT no matter what you do, if you live in New York, and you happen to get Chrysler to cover it, do not!! Go to Atlantic in Bayshore! I don't even want to get into those scummers. Research and find a place that has actually repaired or replaced the top before. Also see if there are any recalls and the number of complaints regarding the top on nhtsa.gov so you have some backing to the amount of issues consumers had to shell out for on chryslers mistake.
  • vin1117vin1117 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you sayray,

I am in NY but up in Dutchess County, I have already contacted customer assistance and have a case # but have not received any satisfaction yet. I am still waiting for a supervisor to get back to me but so far the dealer or Chryster have been of no help because of the milage I have on my car. My next step is to post a negative comment on the Jeep facebook page to see if that will help at all.
    Just hold tight. It took almost 2 weeks for me to get any sort of help. Constant battle. The dealer will def not help you in anyway no matter what. The dealership itself is separate from Chrysler corp. In a repair, if it is free of charge as per Chrysler corp the dealer actually makes no money, and does not get reimbursed for parts or labor. The parts are a write off at years end, but not labor. Don't let the dealer try fooling you into paying a "deductible" either. That's their way if trying to make something off of the corporations honored job to you. Write an email expressing your concerns to Chrysler corp website (there's a contact section)with your case number if no response in a week or so, regarding their slow attempt at customer satisfaction, that you have always been a loyal customer of theirs, and may be looking to another mfg of vehicle, along with your family and friends. Good luck! Let me know how it goes! Persistence is key!!
  • tlf1234tlf1234 Member Posts: 12
    edited April 2016
    I have a 2010 Jeep Liberty Renegade with Sky Slider Roof. I never had an issue. Last week, I opened it and it would not close all the way. I was able to keep in my garage so rain didn't ruin it, until I took it for service. The estimate is 3,800.00. They also said, they will try not to get the actuall roof dirty, but often it gets dirty in repairs. If I was to have that replaced to, it's another 1500 on top of 3800. It is currently being serviced by Lester Glenn Jeep of Toms River, NJ. It is not under warranty. My jeep only has 45,000 for a 2010 model, around. I emailed Jeep and was told they can't do anything as it is not under warranty. I called and another rep said the same thing.  I tried to explain there are several complaints and she said, just because it's in the internet, does not make it true. I felt the rep was not taking my concern seriously.  I ask what are my options? Nothing. I requested a supervisor call back.   I can't afford for this repair again. My plan is to fix it and sell it, basically, losing my jeep. I'm going to buy or lease another brand. I can't have the worry of another costly repair over my head. I need to get rid of a vehicle I once loved. Any suggestions?  I see many of you had a positive experience, not me. I also see that some of you made your comments years ago. Do not buy Jeeps with this sort of roof.  My car insurance does not cover as they call this wear and tear.  However, for Jerep not to understand it admit there is an issue is disturbing. Secondly, Jeep shows no concern. I have to pay 4 grand just so my roof closes. That's all, just want my roof to close. It is not broken from wear and tear. I feel when this was sold to me, I should been adivsed if this breaks after your warranty, you basically have to pay at least a few thousand dollars. Please comment for assistance.
    tlf1234 said:
    I have a 2010 Jeep Liberty Renegade with Sky Slider Roof. I never had an issue. Last week, I opened it and it would not close all the way. I was able to keep in my garage so rain didn't ruin it, until I took it for service. The estimate is 3,800.00. They also said, they will try not to get the actuall roof dirty, but often it gets dirty in repairs. If I was to have that replaced to, it's another 1500 on top of 3800. It is currently being serviced by Lester Glenn Jeep of Toms River, NJ. It is not under warranty. My jeep only has 45,000 for a 2010 model, around. I emailed Jeep and was told they can't do anything as it is not under warranty. I called and another rep said the same thing.  I tried to explain there are several complaints and she said, just because it's in the internet, does not make it true. I felt the rep was not taking my concern seriously.  I ask what are my options? Nothing. I requested a supervisor call back.   I can't afford for this repair again. My plan is to fix it and sell it, basically, losing my jeep. I'm going to buy or lease another brand. I can't have the worry of another costly repair over my head. I need to get rid of a vehicle I once loved. Any suggestions?  I see many of you had a positive experience, not me. I also see that some of you made your comments years ago. Do not buy Jeeps with this sort of roof.  My car insurance does not cover as they call this wear and tear.  However, for Jerep not to understand it admit there is an issue is disturbing. Secondly, Jeep shows no concern. I have to pay 4 grand just so my roof closes. That's all, just want my roof to close. It is not broken from wear and tear. I feel when this was sold to me, I should been adivsed if this breaks after your warranty, you basically have to pay at least a few thousand dollars. Please comment for assistance.

On 4/21/16, Sandra, Employee ID 56893, Supervisor, called me, and said, I understand you want to speak to a Supervisor. She said, there is nothing further we can assist. She didn't attempt to get more information or even say sorry or even say, let me pass this along to Jeep on case others or having the same issue.  I contact Jeep via an internal message via Facebook. Currently, a Social Media Specialist said she will see if there is anything she can do. So, I am waiting.I'm posting to seek assistance, but also let other Jeep owners or future Jeep owners the customer service I am receiving. 
    tlf1234 said:
    On 4/21/16, Sandra, Employee ID 56893, Supervisor, called me, and said, I understand you want to speak to a Supervisor. She said, there is nothing further we can assist. She didn't attempt to get more information or even say sorry or even say, let me pass this along to Jeep on case others or having the same issue.  I contact Jeep via an internal message via Facebook. Currently, a Social Media Specialist said she will see if there is anything she can do. So, I am waiting.I'm posting to seek assistance, but also let other Jeep owners or future Jeep owners the customer service I am receiving. 

4/21/16: The Social Media Specialist has called me back. She requested information on the service bring down from the device center. Once they review that, I hope Jeep can be of assistance. I am hopeful.
    tlf1234 said:
    4/21/16: The Social Media Specialist has called me back. She requested information on the service bring down from the device center. Once they review that, I hope Jeep can be of assistance. I am hopeful.

Although Kristen has taken over the case, another email Rey from a customer care, that said thisDear Taia,

Thank you for your recent email, although it does not contain any 
    information that would cause a change in the previous decision. Your 
    request must again be respectfully declined.

We have documented your concerns.

Any future communication related to this issue will be retained in 
    corporate records. 

Sincerely,

Carol 

Customer Service Representative
    Jeep Customer Assistance Center

I responded back again with disappointment and said another caseworker has taken over. Still holding out hope Jeep reviews this case nd offers some assistance.

tlf1234 said:
    Although Kristen has taken over the case, another email Rey from a customer care, that said thisDear Taia,

Thank you for your recent email, although it does not contain any 
    information that would cause a change in the previous decision. Your 
    request must again be respectfully declined.

We have documented your concerns.

Any future communication related to this issue will be retained in 
    corporate records. 

Sincerely,

Carol 

Customer Service Representative
    Jeep Customer Assistance Center

I responded back again with disappointment and said another caseworker has taken over. Still holding out hope Jeep reviews this case nd offers some assistance.

I was called my Jeep Dealership, Lester Glenn of Toms River, that my Jeep would be fine Monday. I called at 3pm, asking for update. He said late Tuesday or Weds with no explanation.   Jeep ( Case Worker) is also still reviewing my case. I keep everyone posted on the progress.
    tlf1234 said:
    I was called my Jeep Dealership, Lester Glenn of Toms River, that my Jeep would be fine Monday. I called at 3pm, asking for update. He said late Tuesday or Weds with no explanation.   Jeep ( Case Worker) is also still reviewing my case. I keep everyone posted on the progress.

Labor & Repairs was nearly 4k. Jeep sent me check for Labor ( a little over 1k), oy for good bull bring I had 48k miles, but no longer under warranty.  I did accept, but found that I had to fight har and often declined. When I was paying for my services, a sales rep, began talking to me as I was paying, trying to sell me a new vehicle. That was the last icung on the cake.they sent me a survey and explained that situation. The Chrysler Service Manager at

Lester Glenn Auto Group offered a $300 service credit and apologized for the sales rep action. He also said be will contact his Area Manager to see if anything can do about costs.  At this point, I'll being summing up my whole experience and sending to Jeep.