Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Flex Lease Questions

Comments

• CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Posts: 38,518
    Hi Baxterdown. In many parts of the country, Ford Credit's current base lease rate and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 Flex FWD with 15,000 miles per year are 1.25% and 46%, respectively. Ford Credit's 12k residuals are indeed 2% higher than its 15k resids and its 10.5k resids are 3% higher than its 15k resids.

Having said this, I'm not sure if this program is available in Florida right now. Ford has cut way back on the availability of leased through Ford Credit. I would not be surprised in the least if it was not leasing at all in your area at this time.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Posts: 38,518
    Hello amx. Ford Credit's current base lease rate and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 Flex SEL FWD with 15,000 miles per year in SoCal are 1.25% and 45%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical 39 month lease in your area are 1.5% and 43%. If you were to lease with only 12,000 miles per year, this vehicle's residual values would be 2% higher.

Ford is not currently providing any cash incentives on leases of this model. As a result, I doubt that you will be able to lease one for under invoice. Shoot for a capitalized cost of as close to invoice as possible.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • Thanks Car_Man!!! You're the best! :)
  • Hi, I got quotes from two dealers, for a Flex Limited FWD 15000miles a year for 36 months. One using Ford Credit and one USBank. Can you tell me what the residuals and rates are for either of these credit sources?

Also the US Bank lease paperwork seems to have a $6000 rebate worked in (Ford offered me a $500 rebate) as well as "Capped Fees" of $970. Not sure where these are coming from. My memory also tells me that US Bank has end of lease fees, and my guess is that it would be easier to get out of a Ford lease early if I needed/wanted to. Can you shed any light?

Thanks.
  • amxamx Posts: 8
    many many thanks Car_Man, cannot tell you how much money you have saved me over the years...
  • stoopystoopy Posts: 105
    Ford sells the Flex to US Bank, US Bank leases the Flex to you that's why they get the RETAIL CASH REBATES.

US Bank has terrible money factors and residuals but so does Ford in most areas. One guy said his lease rate was 10% vs some areas that were at 0.75% through Ford. On my quote, US Bank lease rate was 7.1% which is really high for a lease. Ford Residual was around 45% and US Bank was only 40%.

In summary, BUY THE FLEX. Don't lease it right now. You can easily buy a $35K Flex Limited for around $26,000 after all the rebates. Put the $2500 towards your sales tax and plates. You could get a 72 month loan at $26,000, 6% for a monthly payment of $430.90. 60 Month would be $502.65. Don't lease. Also you can claim all that sales tax on your 2009 Income Tax Return. Probably net you another $500 plus.

PS: Pilot is the same way. Way smarter to buy it than lease it. If you're gonna lease a vehicle MSRP of over $30K the residual better be over 50% and the money factor needs to be less than 5%.
  • vandyman4vandyman4 Posts: 15
    Hi:
    I am considering purchasing or leasing a 2009 SEL FLEX and can't make a decision. I can lease a 37,780 List Flex for $495.00 per month for 12,000 miles per year for 39 months or purchase a Flex with -0- % for $605.00 per month for 60 months. Total out of pocket is $1750.00 and selling price is $35,400.00. Is either a fair deal? Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    JON
  • baxterdownbaxterdown Posts: 36
    Hi Jon,

Are the numbers you posted yours? Or are they a dealer quote? Also, they seem to be mixed between lease and buy.

If the numbers are from a dealer, they look a bit high. Here are the numbers you need to post to make sure everything adds up:

ON A LEASE

MSRP
    Negotiated Price
    Money Factor (Interest Rate)
    Term (How many months)
    Residual

ON A PURCHASE

MSRP
    Negotiated Price
    Interest Rate
    Term (How many months)
    Down Payment (if any)

I was on the same boat you are. And, after doing numbers up and down it turned out that leasing was not an option. If you see my post asking Car_Man for lease rates, you'll see he answered that Ford may not be leasing in my area. When I went to get my car, I found out that Ford is leasing (and others are too) but the lease rates are terrible. So, in my case, it made a lot more sense to buy.

By the way, there is another post (a few posts up) from someone talking about financing for 72 months. That might be a good option. That extra year and the $1,750 out of pocket you were planning to pay on a lease might be enought to get you to your calculated lease payment.

Here are a few other things to consider:

- If you get the 0% financing, Ford Motor Credit will require you to carry gap insurance. When everything is said and done, this is not a good option. You are better off taking the $3,000 rebate.
    - Ford Motor Credit is offering a $1,000 rebate. It's useless. FMC's finance rates are terrible. If you have good credit, you are better off financing through a bank or credit union at around 5% for 72 months.
    - Dealers are DESPERATE. You should not pay (before any rebates) a penny more than invoice. Many dealers are even willing to sell cars for holdback (an additional profit built into invoice price) just to move cars.

Click here for the 2009 Flex dealer price list. It will help you add the base cost and options on the car you want. That way you will know if there is more room for negotiating.

Good luck!
  • baxterdownbaxterdown Posts: 36
    Thanks bud!!! Once again, you came through with lease rates information. I really appreciate your help!

It turned out that Ford was leasing in South Florida but rates were a joke. So, I ended up buying the car. Also, FMC's finance rates are terrible. so the $1,000 rebate from them is useless.

Thanks again sir. You're d-man!!! ;)
    Thanks,
    It's all very confusing. I have been leasing and buying Saab's and Caddy's for the last 15 years and always knew if I was getting a good deal. Now I am afraid to make a decision. Here are the details of the dealer quote:
    ON A LEASE

MSRP 37,780.00
    Negotiated Price 35,458.00
    Money Factor (Interest Rate).5
    Term (How many months) 39
    Residual .46
    Rebate $750.00 given after negotiated price as additional money down
    $1000.00 total out pocket
    497.45 per month
    ON A PURCHASE

MSRP 37, 780.00
    Negotiated Price 35,458.00
    Interest Rate 0
    Term (How many months) 60
    Down Payment (if any) 1000.00 total out of pocket
    Rebate $750.00 given will be an addional down payment
    605.70 per month

What should I be paying for this car? Also, what is GAP insurance? I never had to pay this before. Right now I am leasing a Caddy STS4 for $479,00 per month which seems to be a better deal than the Flex. Should I work on a dealer for a limited model? I just need AWD, 40/40 captain's seats and the sun roof.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    JON
  • kyrebakyreba Posts: 7
    Car_man,

I'm in SoCal & looking at an SE with a white roof, sync & 6 cd. MSRP is listed as $30,545.00. I've 2 dealers telling me at invoice for a 36 mo lease 12,000 miles & no drive-offs the payment will be $430-448 plus tax. Does this jive with what your rates/invoice records show? I'm wondering if there is more room to bring down the payment a bit more?

Thank you I'm so glad to have found this site.
  • Hi car_man,

read a lot of your comments and I am sure you can help me out here.
    Was looking into leasing (and lease only, for business) a Flex SEL AWD

Here is the offer i got from dealer and I live in NJ, 07960

Retail 33920 w/ extras 39035 (incl. dest fee 700)
    savings offered 2702
    sale price 36333
    Net sale w/ all the taxes, doc fee, etc 39700
    Said included 1000 lease cash !?
    down 3500, 12k, 39 months ea. 482

Is this anything decent ?
    here are my questions:
    with 3500 down where should the monthly rate be ?
    lets say 1500 down, how much should the monthly rate be ?

Appreciate all the help guys !

Thx
    Hi:
    I am in zip code 07004 and got a better deal on a FLEX AWD yesterday. My deal is as follows:
    List 38,300
    sell price $35,369.00
    available rebate from dealer---$750.00
    total out of pocket--$1000.00
    12,000 miles per year, 36 months
    residual---.48
    money factor---.25
    monthly payment---$499.00

I shopped around and this was the best deal. Let me know if you are interested and I will put you in touch with the dealer. They have a lot of cars and are honest.

Good luck.
    JON
  • Hi Jon,
    what was the stock number you had quoted ?
    What are std's and what optional equip
    Thanks,
    Hi:
    I don't have stock number in front of me but the car is a SEL AWD Black/black with:
    vista roof
    2nd row 40/40 seats
    SYNC wireless
    no second row console
    rear entertainment

Thanks,
    JON
    P.S. I am moving from a Caddy and I love the Flex for a family of 5.
  • ok just got another offer faxed from same dealer
    they have a demo (think 8500miles) Limited AWD
    Retail 36555 w/ extras 44500 (incl. dest fee 700)
    savings offered 6389
    sale price 38111
    Net sale w/ all the taxes, doc fee, etc 41755
    Said included 1000 lease cash !?
    down 3500, 12k, 39 months ea. 466

it seems the obviously wanna get rid of the demo cars
    only think i wonder is how (and if) they tack on the 8500 already
    on the car with the 39000 lease miles
    should i even consider leasing a demo with miles on ?
    thx again :)
    Here's my experience with leasing.....My current Escape had 60 miles on it when I got it. Mycontract says that if I turn it in at the end of the 3 years withmore than 36060 then I will owe for the mileage over that.

So with the demo you are looking at I'd say your "over" mileage would start at 47,500 (39,000 +8,500). However I would not do a 39 month lease if I were you.

If you lease for 39 months, you will have to pay the 3rd year registration on the car & only get the benefit of 3 months of the 12 you just paid for. I'd keep it to an even 36 months because anything you save by going 39 mo will be eaten up by that registration payment for sure.

Just my 2 cents :)
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,209
    So with the demo you are looking at I'd say your "over" mileage would start at 47,500 (39,000 +8,500).

I'm not sure if this varies by region but here's how it was explained to me a few years ago. The details are a little fuzzy so please correct me if I'm wrong a little.

To lease a demo (I'm in PA) with the odo reading over some mileage limit, I think he said 2000 miles or somewhere around there, you have to build the mileage into the lease and you basically lose them but still pay for them. Using the example above and starting the lease at 8,500 miles on the Flex, on a 36k mile lease you would really only get to drive it for 29,500 miles (36000 - (8500-2000). After that you would pay for each mile over the limit.

Salesmen have always steered me away from leasing a demo for this reason. The price is attractive, but make sure you don't need the extra mileage.
  • Thansk for both your comments...Indeed I am sure I have to question the dealer about the mileage and the lease mileage. What I was really more concerened is the warranty which is in effect upon registration (or sale)...Since Ford's have 3 year or 36000 miles warranty (which ever comes first) I am sure I would slide into the 36k mileage area within or around the end of the second year...so wouldnt I also take a chance on driving a lease without warranty for the last year ?
    You could be right. I've never tried to lease a demo car before. I was just using the same principal from how the 60 miles on my current car was handled. However 8,500 is a BIG difference from 60 so I can see where it would be handled differently.

I think someone told me once that a demo car had to have under 5,000 miles on it to be still sold as new also? Don't know if that's true or not....or if it's a regional thing?

I'm in SoCal & I'm still trying to work out a good deal for a Flex. I thought I might be able to score a deal on an SEL this last weekend but it is still out of my budget. So I'm back to trying to work the best deal possible on an SE. I know I'l have one by the end of the month but I want it NOW! lol