Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Replacing Fuel Tank on 1999 Grand Cherokee

xquizzyt1xquizzyt1 Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Jeep
I have a 99 Grand Cherokee, 4x2, 6 cyl. 4.0L engine and I apparently ran over something and dented the skid plate. Now the truck is leaking fuel. Ugly. So I more than likely have to replace the fuel tank. But I'm finding it very difficult to find the part and one parts store told me that I can only get it from the dealer. I'm hoping that's not true because I've seen fuel tanks for other models for $200 and Jeep wants to charge me $542. Any suggestions on where I could find a new fuel tank?

Comments

• loosenutloosenut Member Posts: 165
    OOPS!..fikrst,there is a two part gas tank epoxy specifically made to fix punctures in the fuel tank-ive seen it at auto zone and similar places..even wal-mart..a cheap-easy -if not permanent fix..it should hold as long as you have the truck...
    clean the area around the hole,wipe off the gas with a clean rag,,mix the two part epoxy for about a minute,a let it dry overnite-or,if all else fails--READ THE DIRECTIONS! !;)..then,just to add authenticity,a piece of bailing wire on the exhaust pipe..this way,you can tell folks it's actually heald together with bubble gum and bailing wire ! !''in a pinch,use a wire coat hanger!!(hehehohohaha)--sorry,just had to add some humor!-really-the epoxy WILL WORK!!
    --second,--search used parts..i was looking for stock rims for a mazda mpv they only made three years-others didn't fit..i found a junk yard in california -where the 80 and the 5 were,between san francisco and sacremento,who claimed to have nearly EVERYTHING!!..and he had the rims i needed!!..shipping wasn't that bad,beat buying custom rims for a minivan!..shipping a fuel tank might be tricky,(has-mat)..but,not knowing where you is can be a tricky guess...try your local off road people/clubs,even craigslist,as SOMEOME is always taking a jeep apart,and usually have lots of parts left over--you might even find a entire car-not running-with the parts you need-for what the dealer wanted for that new tank! then you will have extra transmissions,wheels,all kinds of extra's-and sell them-and make your money back!!??!depends on how mutch time and money you want to spend..
    .worst case senario,find the local racing supply center,and put in a fuel cell-like race cars have..myself-i'd see if i couldn't pound the skid plate sort of back into shape,and use the gas tank epoxy..
    good luck! :sick:
This discussion has been closed.