Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda CX-7 Noise and Vibration

maavalousmaavalous Posts: 17
Hey... HELP!

I have a 2008 GT AWD (bought in in April) and it is exhibiting a "harmonic vibration" throughout the car at highway speeds. It is worst between 55 and 80 mph. It smooths out, but is still noticeable between 80 and 110 mph.

Clearly a difference between "coasting" and under power... worse under power/torque. After 100 miles on the interstate... I feel like I'm sitting on a massage seat :o(

Dealer has tried:
Tire rotate and balance - nothing odd found... no help.
Replacing the drive shaft - a 3-piece monster... no help.

I have tried simulating the RPMs in different gears and the vibe only appears at highway speeds not highway RPMs. Obviously, can't easily test gears lower than 5th or 6th gear at 75 mph.

Oh, and no noticeable vibe in the steering wheel specifically... allignment seems spot-on... it's the whole car that vibrates.

HELP!!

Comments

• zewie1zewie1 Posts: 5
    So i purchased my Mazda CX-7 just under a year ago and about 4 months ago it started to make this very loud ticking, clanking noise (lost for the proper comic sound). this noise comes and goes very quickly only when accelerating. i cant reproduce this noise for the technicians while driving..so i just sit there and look like an idiot with my lips flapping trying to get my point across. the technicians say they will take a look and have come up with no answers. so now im stuck with a car that has an apparent problem but no way to diagnose it.... anyone out there have any of the same issues..or can help... by the way this is one thing that is not tripping the CEL...imagine that!
  • zoom49zoom49 Posts: 76
    Sounds like it could be knocking (detonation)due to either lack of premimum fuel, or it"s possible you have an early build CX-7 that need the ECU reprogramed. We have always used premimum gas but just had our ECU updated. If when you back off the gas the noise goes away, this is the most likely issue.
  • If it is gas related, you should be able to demonstrate it to the dealer. I think we need more information to assist you in trying to determine a cause. Ed
    ok so i admit i dont use premium fuel, but splurge for the synthetic. but in fact the noise does go away when i lay off the gas. the technician test drove the car and he wasn't able to recreate the noise. and i tried numerous times to get it to make the noise while another person was in the car and still couldn't make the noise. it as if the car has a mind of its own and only does it when it wants to.. by the way thanks for the help any new ideas.........?
    what is ECU?
  • carlitos92carlitos92 Posts: 458
    ...splurge for the synthetic what? oil?

that's probably a good policy - but most likely unrelated to the noise you have.

what i would do is run a tank full of 93 octane gas in the car and see if the noise disappears. run the tank as empty as you can before putting the premium in.

detonation is temperature-related as well, so it may be that when you visited the dealer, it was cooler?

incidentally "ECU" is the engine computer... manufacturers can change fuel delivery, timing, and all sorts of things just by reprogramming the computer. with the 2007's, mazda upgraded the software at least once to diminish turbo lag symptoms.

-c92
  • anxsanxs Posts: 7
    Has anyone experienced mirror vibration? When my car was delivered the driver side mirror shimmied and it gave me a headache to look at. Not only that but any time I listened to the stereo with the slightest bit of bass in it it would vibrate real loud. Part of the reason I choose this vehicle was because of the stereo package and I can't even enjoy it. They replaced the whole mirror assemply once and it's only slightly better than it was before. What should I do now? I'm sure they think I'm insane.
  • apattapatt Posts: 1
    Has anyone else noticed a wobbly or bumpy feeling while driving the cx-7? I test drove 2 different 2008 cx-7 sports both were front wheel drive. Only diff was one had a power seat and the other didnt. The car without the power seat drove a lot rougher than the car with the power seat. Is it possible that it is just my imagination?
  • vbbuiltvbbuilt Posts: 498
    The only way you can tell if it's NOT your imagination is if you drove both vehicles over the exactly the same route, same driving conditions, same speed, traffic conditions, etc. The presence or lack of an accessory, does not make a difference in suspension, drive train or engine, in the FWD sport.

What I'm thinking is that you may have actually stumbled onto a problem, peculiar to that that one unit. Recommend you go to another dealer and test drive another vehicle and see if you notice the same problem.

Vince.
  • anxs. I am having the same problem with the vibrations from the Bose. For me it is mainly coming from the door armrests, both driver and passenger. Right by the window controls. I upgraded to the Bose for the same reason and now it drives me nuts listening to the vibrating, which isn't quiet by the way, but really loud! Dealership said that there was nothing they could do about it. If anyone else hase run into this problem, let me know, and if there are any fixes I'm all ears.
  • vbbuiltvbbuilt Posts: 498
    I have the tech package as well. It's not your imagination and there is a fix, but don't expect Mazda to do anything about. My dealership tried to fix it, but couldn't. It's the material in the door panels, which vibrates at low frequencies, such as strong bass. In my ride, when the doors were closed, the low frequency vibration was barely noticeable. But if the doors are open and I crank up the volume, the vibration in the door panels was horrible!

The fix is to go to an audio dealer and get DYNAMAT installed. I did and it makes a huge difference. Got rid of 90% of the vibration and also provides a measure of sound insulation from the exterior road noise. Cost me about $300 for both front doors, where all the vibration was coming from. Audio shop told me that they could do the entire car for about $700, which I'm considering.

Hope that helps! Vince.
  • There is a little annoying rattle in the door, that I'm going to have checked out, but the vibrations I'm hearing with the stereo aren't coming from inside the door, but rather from the plastic moulding by the window controls. I can physically push in the moulding, and when I do the vibrations lessen, since I'm tightening the contact between the two plastic pieces, but don't entirely go away. The arm rest for your elbow near the back of the piece is made out of cushioned rubber and that area doesn't vibrate at all. I don't know why they didn't manufacture the entire top of the piece out of this rubber, or at least put a piece between the plastic components to dampen the vibrations. Probably has something to do with cost, but for such a small piece, that doesn't make sense for the cost of the vehicle.
    This is the first new car that I've bought, and although the rest of the vehicle is outstanding, this minor problem is a major disappointment. Takes away a lot of the fun of driving it, and I'm not sure anything can be done about it. I sent Mazda a nasty email, and I bet I get back some automated response. "Thank you for your feedback. We value our customers and their opinions. BUY THE NEW CX-9, SUV OF THE CENTURY!!!!"
  • OK, here goes: 2007 GT. Bought 2nd hand from dealer with 12k miles, now have 26k. Since purchase have had a vibration I can feel through the steering wheel at almost exactly at 30 mph, lasting a few seconds, then dissapearing.

I've replaced the tires, which helped with handling, but the vibration remains. Once the tires were replaced I now get a shaking from ~58 to 62mph, which also dispappears. At all other speeds (up to 100) the car is solid - no shaking...

I return to the dealership figuring the tires are slightly off-balance... BUT, am told they are dead-on. When I ask about both vibrations I'm told that this is inherent in the car itself due to a short wheelbase, yada yada yada. Further, he explains that mine rides like a Cadillac compared to others in their inventory and that the '08's are worse! Now, I've owned a number of small cars including a Ford Fiesta (yikes), Accords, and a VW GTI. NONE (including the Fiesta) shook like this one...

So, my questions to the group are:
    1) does anyone else feel a momentary vibration in the steering wheel at ~30mph?
    2) How about vibrations and shaking in general? Have you had any you can't seem to get rid of?
    3) How has your dealer been to work with? Is it time for me to find another dealer to look at this?

You help/feedback is appreciated. Thank you
  • I owna 2008 cx-7 awd-GT, I had the car for about 6 weeks (1500 miles later) and the car has developed a rattle or squeek as if some panel is loose within the passanger cabin / front right side. I cannot figure what it is??
    anybody has the same problem, I can hear the noise specially over bumpy roads, i am heading out to the dealership in NYC-Long Island area to see if they can find the source.
    Anybody has any idea what it could be, worst yet i am afraid they may not even know what it is.
  • slw5slw5 Posts: 19
    That is what mine does. I call it a metal clanging rat-i tat-tat sound and then black smoke blows out the back only when accelerating and at any speed and never once tripped the CEL either. I have several posts on this website about it. I also have an extremely strong turbo lag which has put me in life threatening situations. Mazda told me it was not predetonation ping (it never even sounded like that anyway) and they didn't know what it was so they "red lined" my vehicle and notified Mazda to find a fix for it. That was October.

Very rarely, I am able to duplicate the problem and thank heavens a technician finally drove with me and witnessed it and it was just minutes after it occurred on the way home from work. Next time it does it pay attention to what you are doing. Mine happened quite often after a new tank of gas but not always and I could be going 45 or faster . . . it's ridiculous.

So a couple of days ago I contacted a lemon law attorney and they say I have a good case since I have been complaining about this since the first few months I owned the car and Mazda hasn't found a fix for it. I'll know the results in about 30 days. Needless to say, I've parked the car in the driveway and am not to drive it another mile till it's resolved.
    :lemon:
    It truly saddens me because I love the way this car looks and when it's not lagging or making that noise with the smoke it's truly a fun car to drive. And, If this case works I'm not even sure what I want. Dare I stay with Mazda and choose the CX9 .. . not sure. I've owned Toyotas forever and never had a single problem. I realize that the 2007 CX7 is new technology and maybe that was my mistake. .. the bugs hadn't been worked out yet.

Good luck on your noise issue. I sympathize with you.
  • jjvanjjvan Posts: 1
    How did you make out with your noise morrison0880 ? I have a 2007 cx-7 and have the same noise, on the same side, since I bought the car. It seems to start when I drive over 60 mph. It sounds like it comes from the door panel, but Im thinking its comming from the roof rack slots above the window. They do make alot of noise when you tap on them. I had the dealership look at it a few times, and they don't know where its comming from. All they say is that its wind related. I don't want to mess around too much and make even more rattles, so I just drive with the radio on when I drive over 60.
  • kcrnmalekcrnmale Posts: 47
    This was a common problem when I owned my Chrysler 300C. At the same mph you mentioned, the engine causes a harmonic vibration through the exhaust system sort of like a tuning fork. It tends to be felt at specific speeds but disappears otherwise. Not sure if this is the same, but it may explain your vibrations.
  • sueb613sueb613 Posts: 3
    I am curious if this has been solved. I have a 2008 CX7 and the vibration occurs at 58 mphand disappears around 75 - 80. It is in the steering wheel.

I have had the car for one month and it has been in service for half that time. They replaced the tires, 4 wheel balance, etc. Didn't work.

Now they think it has to do with the transmission because that is the last speed it shifts at. They have replaced many parts but it is still there - so they tell me.

Now they are replacing the transmission mounts.

IF this doesn't work, we will be filing under the lemon law.

Does anyone have any other ideas?
  • I have a new 2007 CX-7...have owned it for 10 days and it's already been in the shop for 3 of them.

It drives great until I reach about 70 mph and then I get an incredible shaking/vibration in the steering wheel. It's been aligned (still pulls to the right), tires balanced and had 2 tires replaced due to "flat spots" from apparently sitting on the lot. And it still vibrates.

Anyone else have this or similar issue? Any suggestions? :confuse:
  • sueb613sueb613 Posts: 3
    Is your's a new 2007 or 2008? Mine is a 2008, and I have owned it for less than 1.5 months and has been in service for about 15 days of that.

I now have Mazda corporate involved. They have no clue what it is. They had me drive another new car to see if it has the same problem. While there is a certain amount of vibration in the steering wheel of all these cars, my car's problem is more of a harmonic vibration that you feel all through the car starting at 58 mph. If you sit in the back seat (which I tried) it actually vibrates all through your body like a low rumble.

They are now suggesting it has to do with the "torque converter."

Waiting for the Mazda "engineer" to get around to looking at it. This is not a normal feel or sound, and they have now had their third try at it.
    As I said earlier, I will shortly be filing under the "lemon law."

I would suggest you stay on top of it with your dealership. I will bet there are a LOT of these cars with this problem around.