Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Warranty Gold" Claims

Warranty Gold" continues the discussion begun by
"deparson" in Smart Shopper. Click here to read
Topic #185.

Then hurry back to continue the discussion in this
new Conference.

Comments

• Reply to deparsons
    All claims on a Warranty Gold contract are dealt with by Warranty Gold's administrator and paid directly to the repair facility,which you selected, by VISA or MasterCard. You therefore do not have to wait to be re-imbursed and neither does the repair facility.
    annem Warranty Gold
  • 27612761 Posts: 3
    Hai Bonnie rick, I would like to buy warranty gold also, they seems realible but I called so many dealer which they would not accept the warranty? Have you bought the warranty since you placed the question? Please let me know ! Thank you.
  • bonnie_rickbonnie_rick Posts: 115
    I'm just the Edmunds.com Administrative Host who helped move this topic from the Smart Shopper Conference to this new Conference. I see however, that you've already found your way to Talk to the Warranty Gold Team (Topic #19) where they answered one of your questions...
  • bpmeupbpmeup Posts: 1
    I am considering buying an extended warranty for my 98 Pontiac. Has anyone out there had experiences either good or bad with the Warranty Gold services? The description sounds good, but I would like to hear from someone who has experienced dealer/repair facility response to repairs using this service,\.
  • ejoejo Posts: 2
    On my Consumer Advocate Car Buying website at http://zim.com/ejo/gm.htm, I talk about extended warranties extensively in Chapter 6. I have a list of items there that you should look for in an extended warranty, as well as caveats, and scams pulled by many extended warranties. Just a few things to look out for are warranties that have weasel clauses saying rental is not reimbursed during standard warranties, and overheating not being covered. There's tons more in my article.

Jeff
  • fredmefredme Posts: 1
    I have just learned than my Warranty Gold policy will not cover a failed idle speed control motor. It's not like this is a tire or hose or belt that you would expect to replace with normal use. Even the dealership, which sells extended warranties, was surprised that this was not a covered part. There goes $600 out of my pocket. My advice to anybody considering purchasing an extended warranty from Warranty Gold, or another company, is to be very aware of what is and what is not covered.
  • The Warranty Gold Diamond Plan would cover Idle Control Modules. In the Warranty Gold contract book, what is and is not covered by each plan is plainly listed, and we certainly recommend that our customers read their books carefully during their review period. It would be a rare person who knows the names of ALL the parts their vehicle consists of, and sometimes our customers choose to go with the Diamond Plan, which covers everything except certain excluded items (mainly maintenance items).

Sincerely,
    Cindy M., Internet Marketing Mgr.
    Warranty Gold
  • petempetem Posts: 1
    I recall asking Warranty Gold for details of
    what was covered, _before_ signing up, and
    the would not provide it.
  • tomkktomkk Posts: 4
    I received all the detail I asked for without any problems before. I had phone and email information as well as information here. No problems as far as I'm concerned.
  • sylky6sylky6 Posts: 1
    I'm looking to get a 98 Jimmy SLT. I have many questions since in the past I have always bought my vehicles. #1 I'd like to know, since the Jimmy has a $1,500 rebate right now... can that be applied on a lease or only when buying? #2 What is the difference between the smart buy, smart lease and just buying? I'm looking for a lower monthly payment and I normally get tired of my vehicles after 3 years. The minute they need repairs they are a hassle and are up for sale!! :)
  • I just bought a 199 Chrysler Cirrus which has LOTS of electrical and mechanical functions. I cannot decide whether I should purchase an extended warranty. Any suggestions from happy as well as unhappy buyers?
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Posts: 38,515
    Sylky6, as long as you don't put more than 12 - 15 thousand miles on your car per year, it sounds like you should probably lease your next truck. Leasing will enable you to get a new vehicle every couple of years and to avoid any unnecessary repairs that aren't covered by the warranty. Unfortunately, I do not believe that the current $1,500 rebate on the GMC Jimmy is available on leases.

Your Co-Host
  • StrategoStratego Posts: 29
    Sylky6 -

Usually getting a new vehicle at the end of the model year there are several options.

#1 You can get a rebate ($1,500 in your case). If you're purchasing, you simply get $1,500 off the purchase price. For leasing, your monthly payments will be lower because of the lower sale price.

#2 You can get 0% (interest) financing, or something close to 0%. This only applies to purchasing, and is usually for a term of 36 months. The longer the finance term, the higher the interest rate. Financing is sort of similar to leasing, except at the end of the term the vehicle is yours. It's basically like getting a loan from the bank to help you purhcase your next vehicle.

#3 You get a special lease (interest) rate, depending on the length of your lease term (2, 3, 4, 5 yrs.). Once again, the longer the lease term, the higher the interest rate.

If you are thinking of leasing, which obviously sounds right for you, it would be better to lease a '99 instead of a '98. The payments would be about the same due to the now lower residual value of a '98, so you might as well get some newer features on a '99.

Smitty615 -

Check out the Cars Conference. You will find at least one "cloud-car" topic, most likely to be listed under Plymouth Breeze or Dodge Stratus. There are still several bugs that need to be worked out in these "cloud-cars", so I would suggest getting the extended warranty.
  • fennfenn Posts: 197
    I am pondering purchasing a warranty gold Platinum or Diamond plan for a 1994 Q45. I am concerned that this really is a dependable and reasonable warranty program.. Is the Diamond plan worth the extra money?
  • bhumishbhumish Posts: 1
    Thinking of getting the warranty from the company. Do not know much about them. Can some one give more information about them. Like some one else mentioned that some dealers do not accept the warranty.
    I presently have a dimension warrant coverage. Is it advisable to shift to warranty gold.
    Could please email the answer to bhumish@hotmail.com
  • Regarding whether dealers will take Warranty
    Gold or any 3rd party warranties, we just had
    a Ford dealer who refused to honor 3rd party
    warranties. WE WALKED AWAY FROM THE DEAL and
    drove to another dealer who WOULD accept our
    warranty. The dealers wanted $1700 for 100,000
    mile policy whereas Warranty Gold will only
    cost us $1400 (if we buy this week) for a 150,000
    mile plan. We also asked the new dealer we are buying from to give us something in writing that they will honor our warranty in case ownership of dealership changes down the road.

The main reason that dealers don't want to deal with 3rd party warranties is that they had to wait to get reimbursed. Warranty Gold pays them
    immediately via credit card so that is no longer an issue. I told this to dealer # 1 and for the life of me, cannot understand why they refused to do business with us.

BTW, the first dealer lost a $22,000 sale on a Windstar GL because of this. They did call us back to try to work things out that day but it was too late, they left a bad taste in our mouth on the deal.

As far as I am concerned the extended warranty is a necessary purchase in the cost of vehicle and it is an integral part of the deal.

What was the worst of this is that the dealer who
    lost this sale lied to us and told us that NO
    Ford dealer would take 3rd party warranties.
    I guess they figured we were so starry eyed in
    love in their vehicle that we wouldn't check around to see if another Ford dealer would play
    ball with us. They miscalculated and it cost them.
  • fastdriverfastdriver Posts: 2,273
    cakes414-

GOOD for you! I would have done the SAME thing! There are TOO many dealers like that! They need another dose of foreign competition to knock them down a few pegs-AGAIN!

Good luck with your Windstar.

Bob
  • DaveJDaveJ Posts: 1
    Warranty Gold....NOT!

Just traded in for a new vehicle, and wanted to transfer my WG "Diamond" coverage to the new vehicle. Now I expected to pay a little additional, but...

Transfers.....no, you have to cancel first and re-buy.

Do you get the 85% back they state if you've never used the service?....no, that only applies if you hang on to the warranty for it's full length. Odd, since they are certainly at less risk if you don't keep the warranty on what would be an aging vehicle. After one year of policy in effect, you only get about 74% back. ("You should have read your contract more carefully.")

Do they try to work with you to keep your business?...NO.
  • depmandepman Posts: 2
    I recall that I had previously purchased an extended service contract on a Mercury Tracer. The car was totaled when someone ran a stop sign after owning it for only 6 months. Of the $1120 I paid for the 5 yr. 100,000 mile contract, I only received $580 back as a refund. So I agree, 74% back souds pretty good.
  • rmayrmay Posts: 1
    I just purchased a new Honda Odyssey ex to be delivered in two to three weeks and want an extended service contract. with all the electronics in this vehicle i feel this is necessary. what has the experience been with warranty gold??? anyone know anything about Honda's warranty? what i see the warranty gold package is better and costs less. i want a 7 year 100,000 mile or is there a better option that i should consider.
  • I am pretty satisfied with Warranty Gold. Just had both front struts replaced on my '95 Mustang, and it only cost me the $50 deductable.

No hassles or problems using the policy, just told the guy at the garage to call Warranty Gold first and make sure the repair was covered. They didn't have any problems it approved.
  • It strikes me that this represents a problem with the Warranty as much as the dealer. What good is the warranty if many service places won't accept it. If your car breaks down 300 miles from the nearest dealer that will accept the warranty, what good does it do you?
  • FYI ~ There are options when your dealership or other repair shop will not accept payment directly from Warranty Gold. The best procedure for being reimbursed would be to:

1) Have the problem diagnosed.
    2) Fax the repair order to WG's Claims Administrator (INDS) immediately. Make sure the service dept's phone number and your name is on it so they can call you back.
    3) Receive authorization from INDS (as to whether the repairs are covered by your particular service
    contract plan, and what the payment authorization
    amount is).
    4) Proceed with your repairs.
    5) Pay the service department.
    6) Mail the completed, signed repair order with
    payment receipt to INDS (the address is in the
    contract book, pg. 12). Keep copies for yourself.
    7) Reimbursement amount would be mailed to you by
    check.

NOTE: These instructions are correct at the time of this writing. If INDS were to give you different instructions, you should follow them.

Warranty Gold
  • I've never owned an ESP, but the idea of cashing in the policy and getting money back just might sway me as I just picked up my 99 F250 SD 4wd. How does that work? What are the refund amounts vs time? Also does WG cover trucks that have had snowplows put on them for personal use? And are the policies transferable? Thanks Dennis
  • What do you mean by a factory installed snowplow? Do you mean one that is professionally installed by a plow dealer/distributor? I didn't think Ford factory installed any snowplows.
    Regarding the unlikely chance that I won't use the warrantee, I'll bite. What have the claims been for on Ford trucks in general and late model 3/4 ton Fords in particular?

Thanks Dennis
  • Yes, the snowplow should be professionally installed by a dealer/distributor.

We've been paying many claims on Ford trucks on a component called a heater blender box, which opens and closes to let air circulate through the vehicle. It is covered by our Diamond plan. The part costs about $20, but labor is from $200-$300. I will post stats on other Ford claims as I get them.

Most late model trucks (within the last 3 years) are still under factory warranty, so once they exit that coverage we start paying for the covered repairs; the benefits of our plans can be utilized at any time.

Warranty Gold
  • Post script. Just checked the Better Business Bureau rating on Warranty Direct in the NY area. According to the BBB, WD has received 30 complaints in the last 36 months, 13 of which were in the last year. While the firm has responded to most complaints, it has failed to respond to one of the complaints. Complaints allege non receipt of Contract, no receipt of refunds upon cancellation after reveiw of contract, and/or billing complaints. I am quite confident that the same complaints will be found at WG as well. I have said it before and will say it again, "If the company is so good, put everything upfront on the web for our inspection BEFORE WE BUY. I am beginning to think you are better off selling the car after 36 months if you begin haveing problems. The $1000. you save on the contract should cover normal items for the 4th and 5th year.
  • Good point. Since none of these warranties cover "normal wear items," and their definition of this category tends to be as wide as possible, you're in the position of hoping something goes wrong with your car.

Buy a reliable brand with a good warranty, put that $1000 in the bank, and you'll probably come out ahead even if you do need a repair that would have been covered.

I bought an extended warranty on a couple of vehicles. On one, kept 9 years, I had one covered repair. It cost just about what the warranty did. I did have one expensive repair at about 8 years, but none of the available warranties go that long.

On the other, the car was totalled after 18 months (not my fault, honest ), and I got a partial refund, but was still out the rest. And no, the other guys insurance wouldn't reimburse me for that money.
  • Every company receives complaints; the difference in companies often is revealed in the timely satisfaction of valid complaints versus the alternative. Warranty Gold maintains its very satisfactory rating with the BBB by taking care of its customers. Please complete your research - it is irresponsible to assume that what is true of one company is true of another without facts.

Warranty Gold
  • Cindy. I appreciate your reply and recognize that you may have a valid point. I will however ask you to verify that point by posting the BBB report on your organization. Since I do not know where your home office is based, I have been unable to obtain it. BBB reports for the past three years indicate the number of complaints an business had during the period, whether or not they responed to a BBB inquiry and if the matter was verified or corrected. Additionally, firms that belong to the BBB agree that they will abide by recognized principles and in the event of a custormer dispute, will submit to BINDING ARBITRATION before the BBB. Now thats good business. Cindy, I would like to know if WG 1. Is a BBB member, and 2. What the BBB report on WG says about the number of complaints. Thanks again for you reply.